What is your favorite Wrestlemania Main - Event ?

What is your favorite Wrestlemania Main-Event ?

• Shawn Michaels vs Steve Austin - Wrestlemania 14

• Steve Austin vs The Rock - Wrestlemania 15

• HHH vs The Rock vs Mick Foley vs Big Show - Wrestlemania 16

• The Rock vs Steve Austin - Wrestlemania 17

• HHH vs Chris Jericho - Wrestlemania 18

• Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesnar - Wrestlemania 19

• HHH vs Shawn Michaels vs Chris Benoit - Wrestlemania 20

• HHH vs Batista - Wrestlemania 21

• HHH vs John Cena - Wrestlemania 22

• Shawn Michaels vs John Cena - Wrestlemania 23

• Undertaker vs Edge - Wrestlemania 24

• HHH vs Randy Orton - Wrestlemania 25

• Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker - Wrestlemania 26

• The Rock vs John Cena - Wrestlemania 28

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’ll go with Hulk Hogan vs. Ultimate Warrior from WrestleMania VI. That match just had mania main event written all over it. I know face vs. face has been pretty common for several years now but it was not in 1990. Having the two most popular stars go against each other was huge. The timing was perfect as Hulk Hogan was still at the height of his popularity and the Ultimate Warrior was actually starting to match the Hulkster. Add the unprecedented title vs. title stipulation and this was truly an epic encounter. Nowadays we see champion vs. champion unannounced on a random Raw. Not the case in 1990. Plus Hogan and Warrior were about as evenly matched as you could get and they had never wrestled each other before. The match was executed to perfection as each man looked equal to the other with Warrior barely getting the win in what was supposed to be somewhat of a (pardon the cliché) torch passing moment. A clean win over Hulk Hogan was unheard of and the Warrior managed to pull it off in the main event of WrestleMania. The hype was just off the charts for that match. The crowd was white hot and split right down the middle. The match could have easily gone either way. The wrestlers delivered a match that exceeded expectations. In my opinion all that makes WM6 the ultimate mania main event.

Steve Austin versus The Rock from WrestleMania X-7.

I can remember the rumors flying that The Rock was gearing up to begin filming The Scorpion King, being quite young at the time I thought this meant he was taking a longer absence then he did in reality, so I kind of felt betrayed because at that time The Rock was my favorite wrestler. Steve Austin had always been up there so I began rooting for him, the build-up with Debra becoming The Rock's wife and her getting hurt and Steve taking it personally made it so much more special, made tension between them.

Two things I vividly remember from the build-up is them singing a song together on an episode of Monday Night Raw while they were staring one another in the eye, then two weeks later they had a huge brawl on Smackdown, referees and security tried breaking them apart but they'd turn, take them out and return to fighting, with it inevitably taking the other wrestlers to finally break up the scrap.

And then the actual match itself, the video package is one of the greatest of all-time. Not a big Limp Bizkit fan but "My Way" with the promo playing in the background and clips of Austin Stunning The Rock, The Rock planting Austin with the Rock Bottom, it all made for a great intro to a match, built it up like it were all or nothing for both man. Loved the brawl to open things up, they went at it like hell, the turn from Austin aligning with McMahon is memorable to everybody, some say they saw it coming, others like me at the time were oblivious and Austin barbarically striking and stabbing Rock with the Steel Chair until he just couldn't kick out always sticks out in my mind.

Loved that match in its entirety, loved the build-up, loved the video package, loved the match itself, loved the ending, overall loved The Rock and Austin feud, even have an admiration for their final meeting at WrestleMania 19 considering the background story to it with Austin having heart issues and everything.

The Rock vs SCSA at wm17. The buildup to the match was truly amazing stuff. The whole thing SCSA saying I absolutely have to win this match you dont know how bad i need this i could feel the fire between those two. The match being announced as a NO DQ match was truly exciting for me.

Just the fact the rock kept kicking out of multiple SCSA stunners he just wouldnt be beaten. When Vinnie mac came down i thought he was gonna hit austin with the chair instead austin was given the chair and just whipped the rock into submission. The whole match is one of few matches i can watch over and over again without getting burned out on it! Truly a classic

When asked this question I usually go with Rock vs. Austin at WM 17 (I also loved 15 & 19) but right now I think I have to pick HBK vs. Austin at WM 14. That was the only time we'll ever get to see Austin take on DX, which is a dream match; Both Shawn & Austin were rebels and seeing two guys of the same nature face off was exciting. Shawn was the guy who truly got under your skin and who everybody wanted to see get his handed to him, so many had tried like Bret, Bulldog, Shamrock, Undertaker and they all failed. Then comes Austin, the rising star on the block who was his babyface equal and everybody loved just as much as they hated Shawn and he got the job done, sending everybody home happy and also beginning his own era in the WWF. And with the Mike Tyson storyline backing this, how much more epic could it get? It wasn't a 5 star match and it couldn't be, not with Shawn's back, although the match turned out decent but it was more about the story, the hype, the build up to the match and how it built up the future after the match. And like one other poster mentioned, Austin's counter of the Sweet Chin Music into the Stunner and Tyson making the suprise count then knocking Shawn out was just a great ending to the PPV and a great beginner for the Austin era.

Hogan/Warrior from Mania 6. I had to pick this match just because of the emotion I felt from it as a kid. I bled the red and yellow, and I actually took a swing at my cousin when Warrior won. Face vs face was really rare back then, and Warrior was an even match for Hogan then when no one else was. You truly didn't know who was going to win. The match went perfectly, and the crowd was so split. The missed leg drop/splash ending was so fitting for how the match went. Great great stuff.

The same way you have Ric Flair beat Harley Race, Sting, Randy Savage, and Dusty Rhodes....then goes on to lose to his son David, Carlito, etc. Same way you have Billy Kidman beat up on Hulk Hogan but then lose to Kid Kash, Paul London, etc.

Cena/HBK served a purpose....show Cena's toughness and resiliancy and to put him over as a complete threat to an opponent.

I get the point your trying to make, but Hogan and Flair were well into there 50's when they started doing the things your mentioning. They were way past there primes and not the same main eventers they once were.

Shawn on the other hand just turned 40 and was still on top of his game, with no physical limitations and still in the main event picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back