GREATEST WRESTLEMANIA SHOW STEALING MATCH

gers09

follower the Wyatt family
WWE.COM have and article on there web site 10 greatest wrestlemania matches that stole the show results are

10. WrestleMania XXIV: Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels - Career Threatening Match
9. WrestleMania 22: Mick Foley vs. Edge - Hardcore Match
8. WrestleMania VII: Ultimate Warrior vs. "Macho King" Randy Savage - Career Ending Match
7. WrestleMania X8: The Rock vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan
6. WrestleMania 21: Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle
5. WrestleMania X-Seven: World Tag Team Title TLC Match
4. WrestleMania X: Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon - Intercontinental Title Ladder Match
3. WrestleMania 13: Bret "Hit Man" Hart vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin - Submission Match
2. The 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania: The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels
1. WrestleMania III: Ricky Steamboat vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage - Intercontinental Title Match

would you all agree with this or would you make changes to it put matches higher or do you have other matches in mind?

i would put Bret Hart vs Roddy Pipper for the I.C. title at wrestlemania 8 in my top ten. Pipper wasnt known for great techincal matches but that was the best match he had ever...(v golddust a close second) that match was ten times better then Hogan Vs Sid

WrestleMania X: Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon - Intercontinental Title Ladder Match

this match MADE Shawn Michaels (well it didnt really). Everything about it was, "wicked" cool!

Easy or me. WrestleMania 25 HBK vs Taker.

HBK is my alltime favorite and has been since i have been watching wrestling. This was the best match that I have ever seen.

I think that the Steiners vs the Headshrinkers was easily the best match of Wrestlemania 9 and should at least have an honorable mention for having such a great contest in an underwhelming event.

Owen Hart vs Bret Hart at Wrestlemania X, yeah the ladder match with Razor Ramon vs HBK was there too but well what an awesome opening match

Wow great choices there, they were all Show Stealers and anything involving HBK is automatically a Show Stopper.

While I know people would just naturally say Savage vs Steamboat, since it's widely thought of as the greatest Mania match ever, though thats a tough call to say now nearly 3 decades after it happened.

I'm gonna go with Savage vs Warrior WM7. I'd have to go back and watch Mania 7 again but from memory i can't think of anything that happened one other then it was really loud, Hogan won the title from a turncoat in a boring match, Demolition got buried and Savage reached legend status. What else happened? seriously i can't remember. i remember WrestleMania's 1-6 and much of 8 onwards.

"Macho King" Randy Savage vs Ultimate Warrior was not only one of the most emotional matches til HBK vs Ric Flair and HBK vs Taker decades later, but it was The Ultimate Warriors best match too which speaks for how good Savage was. and the rest of the PPV sucked. maybe if we do a repoll of worst WrestleMania's WrestleMania 7 should get a lot of votes.

That top 10 is indeed a decent set of matches but if they're looking for somehting that really stole the show I'm shocked that the Wrestlemania 2000 tag team triple threat match between the Hardys, Edge and Christian and the Dudleys were not even mentioned. It probably will go down as the worst Wrestlemania in history if it had not been for that match taking place.

Of the matches up there I think Bret-Austin as WM13 is probably the biggest show stealing match. It's the match that MADE Austin and made Bret a full fledged heel. The ending is an iconic moment of the AE that lives on as a burned image in our brains even this many years after it happened. Everyone remembers Stone Cold stuck in the sharpshooter, blood running down his face, fighting to escape. Bret delivered one of the worst beating he ever laid on anyone that night and it showed just how bad ass Bret was as well. I don't think anyone watching expected anything like what they got, and that match alone put both men on another level. A lot of those guys on the list were already on another level, and although Bret and Austin were top guys, this match showed everyone that they weren't just top guys in the company, but top guys in the business period, and put their names in stone as all time greats.

I think that the Steiners vs the Headshrinkers was easily the best match of Wrestlemania 9 and should at least have an honorable mention for having such a great contest in an underwhelming event.

Totally agree.

But Steamboat v. Savage wins with ease. It was prolly the first match to ever "steal" the show (i.e. be the best match of the night despite not being the most anticipated)

I don't think Rock vs. Hogan should be on this list.

To me, a "show stealer" is a match that is so good, it takes attention from the main event. Even though Rock vs. Hogan wasn't the last match, it was definitely the main event. I think in it's place should be The triple threat TLC match between The Hardy's, Dudleyz, and E&C from WrestleMania 2000.

Did everyone forget the wrestling clinic that was put on by Benoit and Angle at WM17?

This match is seriously one of the best matches I have ever seen! At the end of this match Benoit gets a standing ovation alone in the ring, not many people can say that has happened legitimately!

This is my hands down pick for most show stealing especially at a WM that already had some amazing matches....including TLC2 and Rock vs. Austin!

Undertaker vs HBK 1 was it for me.
Mr. Wrestlemania the Show stopper vs The streak.

Although, I do hold Savage Steamboat pretty high, I don't remember it live being as good as I remember it when I watch it now, no idea why, where as HBK vs Taker is this generation's Hogan slamming Andre.

Not sure why The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan is on the list. It was the most hyped match leading up to WrestleMania X8. Hell,they were even on the poster. It was the main event as far as I'm concerned,and they weren't the last match on the card only because the WWE thought that the WWE title should be the main event no matter what.

The Triple Threat Ladder match at WrestleMania 2000 should probably replace that,or the first MITB match at WrestleMania 21. Both matches weren't hyped much,and in the MITB's case,nobody knew what it was,but both matches created one hell of a spectacle for the fans.

10. bret vs. owen, mania 10. set the standard for all family feud rivalries, had great storytelling, ring action, amazing build with several months leading to mania, and quite the upset finish. this is a landmark match.
9. hbk vs. razor, mania 10. another landmark match, although this time for ladder matches, obviously. gotta be considered if only because of the standard it set.
8. rock vs. hogan. read the editorial on wrestlezone about this match. great thought provoking article. to date, there have only been 2 matches like this; rock vs. hogan at mania 18 and now rock vs. cena this year. could have also been flair vs. hogan at mania 8 but it never happened. just shows how hard these types of icon vs. icon matches really are to make.
7. savage vs. warrior, mania 7. this match barely survives the list for me. i always hated how warrior kicked out of 5 elbow drops, savage kicked out of the warrior splash and then got pinned with one foot on his chest after a shoulder block. just seemed like a burial. but it was a good match, out of warrior no less, and also has the amazing reunion between savage and elizabeth. saving grace.
6. hbk vs. angle. the term "dream match" gets thrown around a lot, but this really was the case here. good build, loved the involvement of sherri and jannetty, etc. of course, the ring work was second-to-none as well.
5. savage vs. steamboat. i might get mugged for saying this, but i always thought that this was a bit over rated. even as a child i thought it was kind of slow, as in not exciting, and even cheesy with mean gene explaining steamboats recovery from the injury due to his "tremendous physical conditioning and massive amounts of heart". saving grace here? jesse ventura's quip on commentary that steamboat didn't have heart, but a lot of throat. classic heel line.
4. hbk vs. flair. not the most brilliant match, but a career ending match between arguably the 2 greatest in ring performers of all time. some say it's flair, others say it's hbk. whichever you choose, both were in this match and it was fantastic. never thought i'd see this match when i first saw them cross paths in the 92 royal rumble. what an amazing journey for both these men!
3. austin vs. hitman. this is a, if not the, defining moment of the attitude era. great match, iconic imagery and a double turn at the end.
2. rock vs. austin, mania 17. perhaps the best title match at the best mania of all time. 2 of the greatest of all time, and the 2 biggest of their era meeting on the biggest stage. the heel turn by austin gives this one the rub over their other 2 encounters for me.
1. hbk vs. taker, mania 25. nothing else comes close for me. two of the best legends of all time with so much history to share. both on the first raw, in the first hell in a cell match, the career ending injury in the casket match, etc. this match did what no other taker mania match did for me; it suspended my disbelief enough to make me think that hbk could end the streak. if it was going to happen, it was gonna be at the 25th anniversary of the grandest stage of them all, not the 26th.
loads of honorable mentions: triple ladder match and tlc 2 between edge and christian, hardy boys and dudley boys, hitman vs. piper, piper vs. gold dust, taker vs. edge, edge vs. foley, christian vs. jericho, jericho vs. hbk, angle vs. benoit, benoit vs. hbk vs. triple h, savage vs. flair, savage vs. hogan, hogan vs. andre and i'm sure i'm missing some others. but there's my top 10.
it'll be interesting to see how we feel about best and biggest manias and best show stealers this time next year after we see jericho vs. punk, triple h vs. taker inside the cell with hbk as the referee and cena vs. rock all in the same show!!

now when i think of stealing the show, i think of matches that werent at the end of the night. matches that werent necessarily main events. thats my opinion, im sure some may disagree. Savage vs Steamboat in '87 has to be up there. i thought Punk vs Orton last year was good as well, weak card though. Angle vs Michaels in 2005 was an amazing match that i would recommend to anyone. 2003 Jericho and Michaels was awesome, as was the following year for Foley and Edge that match really shows what Edge would do for wrestling.

When I think about showstealing matches at Wrestlemania I have three favorites(In Chronological Order):

1. Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin(Wrestlemania 13)
This match launched Stone Cold on the biggest rise any superstar saw since Hulk Hogan in the 1980's. It did the double switch, which was genius. It was the best match on a very weak WM card by far. The story Austin and Bret told in the ring was unreal. It solidifed Stone Cold as not only the future but as a legit WWF title contender IMO. I never believed Austin would win the title until I saw this match(I was 9 at the time btw). He won me over on that night and it changed the business forever.

2. Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels(Wrestlemania 21)
This match was the main reason I ordered this Wrestlemania. Needless to say I wasn't disappointed. I didn't think it would live up to the expectations I had. Well, I'm glad I was wrong. Two of my all time favorites straight killin' it in the ring. They showed everyone in the back and in the world, why they are two of the greatest in-ring performers of all time. I marked out when Angle gave Shawn the Olympic Slam off the top rope. Also thought it was over when Shawn gave Kurt the SCM out of nowhere and it seemed like Kurt forgot to kickout, it was so close. Being a huge HBK mark I was a lil disappointed in the ending. However, since it was Angle it didnt sting as much as some of his other losses at WM.
Which brings me to...

3. The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels(Wrestlemania 25)
For the first time since the WWE has acknowledged "The Streak", I thought during one of UT's WM matches, he was going to lose. Maybe I'm kidding myself since I pretty much knew Taker was going to win, but during the match at various points I thought Shawn did it. This is in my Top 5 Favorite Matches of All Time. We had seen this feud before in late 1997 and early 1998, but this time it seemed fresh and something that in hindsight I can't believe the WWE never did it since Shawn was back in 02. This match had so many ups and downs and twists and turns. It lived up to the hype and it being on the 25th Anniversary show added a special feel to it. The whole presentation and lead up was amazing. Also, the entrances were awesome. This match and feud got me hooked again on wrestling. I quit watching around early 2007 until I heard from a friend they booked this match at Wrestlemania 25. These two Icons delivered on the biggest stage of them all and was without a doubt the Best Match of 2009 and one of the Greatest Matches I've seen.

I will say Taker v Sm25. Trust me this was not an easy decision for me at all!! But that match had it all move after move and that showed for the first time ever the streak was in legit jeopardy of being stopped by the showstopper himself!!

I honestly thought when Michaels kicked out of the tombstone he had taker dead to rights he had him!! But wow what a match and the top one IMO!! The wrestlemania matches of all matches!!

I wanted to say Mick Foley v Edge at WM 22, but seriously because of HBK v Mcmahon, it went equal.. Both of them had glimpses of a good match (although HBK did most of the work in the match).. I'm going to go ahead and say it's Bret Hart vs Steve Austin, that match really stole the show and made WM13 just remembered for that match and that match only.. Like Bret Hart said: "That match launched an era."

I got to agree with a user saying that HBK vs Jericho should be there too, it was no-doubt a show stealer match, the flow of the match was so good, and the finish was fantastic (one of my favourite finishes in a wrestling match).. Does anyone else think the Undertaker v HHH match at WM 27 deserves to be on the list as well.. :p

Wreatlemaina X8 Rock vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan should be #2 and Taker vs.HBK 8th. Whatching that crowd give Hogan that kind of reaction throught the whole match was amazing. Everyone who grew up on Hogan had chills running down your arm when they cut his entrance music and the respect a crowd gave him. Ill give credit when its due because The Rock put one hell of a performance, I mean he sold that leg drop and surprised everyone in the arena and watching at home. That march shows why Rock and Hogan are elite wrestlers.

#1Wrestlemania 3 Ricky Steamboat vs. "Matcho Man" Randy Savage. I can't agree more, I mean what can I say. Best WM match of all-time andthey match that sold the show.

A couple that nobody has mentioned yet:

Dream Team Vs The British Bulldogs (WM2) Though the emphasis was on Roddy Piper's boxing match against Mr. T, the NFL Battle Royal and Hogan's cage match against Bundy I felt that it was Brutus Beefcake, Greg Valentine and The British Bulldogs that had the match of the night in one of the best Wrestlemania tag matches of all time.

Mr Perfect Vs The Blue Blazer (WM5) While it didn't have the drama that the Savage/Hogan main event did this definitely was a fine wrestling match between the great Curt Henning and the man that would later go on to be knwon as Owen Hart.

Edge vs. Foley WM 22!!! That match got me back into wrestling as I was a WCW guy and stopped watching when they folded.

Most of the newer fans to wrestling within the last ten years or so are going to say HBK vs Taker or Hogan vs Rock....i'm not one of those newer fans.

Best match to steal the show at mania, and best match in the history of professional wrestling....savage vs steamboat wm 3 in 1987...no argument

I think it's a pretty good list, sure you can argue order but the 10 are all deserving I'd say. The #1 is probably right as well because it has stood the test of time, 25 years on and young wrestlers still talk about that match as a benchmark they are aiming for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back