TNA Fires Jim Cornette, BG James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny Powers

Bulletproof Tiger
Well it's official, TNA has released BG James and Jim Cornette. I can't say I'm surprised sense most of Jarrett's friends have been on the chopping block. I did like the VKM gimmick when it started out, no matter how silly it was. I just wonder if Kip James will be released next. I always thought Jim Cornette added lots to Impact. Too bad he's gone. What do you think of the releases? Who do you think is next?

I’m not really that surprised about Jimmy getting released because according to reports, he had been butting heads with Vince Russo a lot more recently. I like Jim but I just don’t think that he was happy having to work with Russo, someone he apparently strongly dislikes. I think that they could have definitely done more things with him after it appeared he wasn’t going to be used as an authority figure anymore or as much. They could have made him be someone’s manager and it would have probably been great. So, while I am not that surprised, I do think they could have done a lot more with him.

As far as B.G James, I am kind of surprised about this one. Apparently, he had a falling out with Jarrett and was well-liked backstage and was doing a good job as road agent. But now he is released? I’m just kind of surprised about the release and I don’t know if there is more to it, but it just seems odd that he was released.

WrestleZone said:
According to PWInsider.com, both Jim Cornette and BG James have been released from the company.

We should have an update with more specific details on the subject later tonight or early tomorrow.

So it's looking like TNA is definitely going to be distancing themselves from Jarrett, because both of these guys are known for being his allies backstage. I'm not surprised they let BG James go, but letting Jim Cornette go is a little bit shocking. Then again, I doubt TNA really gives a shit about what Cornette has to say anymore with the direction they're headed in.

Thoughts everyone?

BG James is a good move by the company as he is getting on in his wrestling career & cannot perform to how the company's pace of wrestling is like. He hasn't contributed much since the James feud on TNA & has been appearing here & there. They could have offered him a spot in the road agents or something like that but his release is justifiable.

As for Cornette, it was probably not a good move. Taking him off TV to be replaced by Foley was great, but at least keep him in the creative & booking side of things. He can prove to be of use & still give something for the company. They need someone right now with experience with the growing roster that seems to slowly but surely increase in viewer size.

My thoughts, X? Okay, but remember you invited it.

I think everyones blowing this thing out of proportion. How, you ask? Well, gentle readers, the only ones to be fired so far are backstage indiduals, who the casual fans aren't aware of. Honestly, BG was an agent, which the company has a gross surplus of, and Jim hadn't been used on TV in ages. Hell, until I read that, I thought Corny was already fired months ago. I'm thinkin' Dixie and the board are just trimming the fat, going through some budget cuts.

I think we should stop reading into this until they do something super-noticeable. They're just trying to run a profitable company, and you can't do that by having nine different people doing the same job when you only have 2 hours of TV a week.

Its a bummer to hear any time that someone was released honestly. Sometimes its needed but i dont feel its ever a "YES!" moment. Its a bummer with Jim because before MEM came in and the big angles started comming,Jim did awesome as a kind of GM type guy. I thought he did way better of a job then others like Larry or Dusty had done in the past. Jim has a few problems sure but as a booker and a none wrestling personality,hes amazing.

Bg is another sad thing to. Like someone said he was considered a great agent. Its always better to have a good amount of agents that are former wrestlers. Thats what wwe does with alot of their legends. Most are agents now. Not only legends but just wrestlers in general. Billy Kidman is a agent to and is viewed to be in the inner circle of Stephanies people. I think its a shame they let Bg go just like when James Mitchell and others who had prior experiance left. I hope maybe they put like Kip in BGs spot or something so they can still have that vet agent working for them

Who cares? Cornette is a fine talent, but he obviously wasn't being used in any capacity, so they might as well get rid of him, instead of paying him to not work.

BG James sucks...that's really all that needs to be said about that. I understand he was doing work backstage for them, but...meh.

So? James might have been on TV once in the last six months. Cornette was barely ever used and Foley, who is much more famous and valuable to the company, does the exact same job that he did. Foley as the commissioner character and occasional wrestler works much better than them sharing the job. Also, wasn't Cornette the representative of TNA management? Foley as the executive shareholder now is TNA management. This might have to do with Jarrett, but it certainly might not have. It very well could just be a budget cutting move. Even if they're making an average salary each, that's two average salaries that TNA doesn't have to pay anymore which means more money they have. This isn't that much of a story really.

Like most of you, I'm not too surprised to see Cornette released since they phased him off of TV. But, he was great in the role as TNA management and was wasted when they brought in Foley to replace him on TV. Nothing against Foley, but, I don't like him in his role as the "investor" with power. To lose Cornette is a great waste... and it's not like TNA had to pay for a plane ticket to fly him in! (Some of you may get that!)

BG, again, sad but not too surprising. But, he was doing well as an agent, but,l again, this smells more of TNA politics than anything and it's too bad.

BG James is a good move by the company as he is getting on in his wrestling career & cannot perform to how the company's pace of wrestling is like. He hasn't contributed much since the James feud on TNA & has been appearing here & there. They could have offered him a spot in the road agents or something like that but his release is justifiable.

As for Cornette, it was probably not a good move. Taking him off TV to be replaced by Foley was great, but at least keep him in the creative & booking side of things. He can prove to be of use & still give something for the company. They need someone right now with experience with the growing roster that seems to slowly but surely increase in viewer size.

You really dont have a clue do you. BG has been used as an agent backstage. and is apparently a decent one. so this is puzzling .

Cornette , hasnt been on TV but has apparently been working in the production truck. I wonder if he will become as anti- TNA as he is WWE. I like Cornette, I just think he should be more forgiving to Santino and WWE, but whatever.

I think it's just TNA making some budet cuts. BG hadn't been used in months and who knows what he was like as a road agent and Cornette? Well, he is close with Jarret so that might be a reason and he wasn't getting on with Russo apparantly so that probably also comes into it. Who really knows though, I don't think it's really too big a deal to be honest.

My thoughts, X? Okay, but remember you invited it.

I think everyones blowing this thing out of proportion. How, you ask? Well, gentle readers, the only ones to be fired so far are backstage indiduals, who the casual fans aren't aware of. Honestly, BG was an agent, which the company has a gross surplus of, and Jim hadn't been used on TV in ages. Hell, until I read that, I thought Corny was already fired months ago. I'm thinkin' Dixie and the board are just trimming the fat, going through some budget cuts.

I think we should stop reading into this until they do something super-noticeable. They're just trying to run a profitable company, and you can't do that by having nine different people doing the same job when you only have 2 hours of TV a week.

I don't think you're reading into it enough Dewey.

WrestleZone said:
According to F4WOnline.com, the TNA releases of Jim Cornette and BG James are part of an apparent move to eliminate those who were closest to Jeff Jarrett. Previous examples include the recent releases of Dutch Mantell and Savio Vega.

There's a purge going on in TNA right now, and anyone can see that. Four of Jarrett's allies in the company have been fired. It's really only a matter of time before Jarrett is on his way out too at this point.

And Sly...James was great in NAO. One of the very best tag teams of all time.

This is a case of Dixie Carter phasing out Jeff Jarrett. First it was Dutch Mantell, and now, it's Jim Cornette and BG James. I do believe that Jarrett will be phased out as far as his role in TNA. This is something that seems to be a sign of the times for TNA. Instead of going backwards with the booking decisions, they're moving forward.

I think Jim Cornette's a great wrestling mind, but he's not a good fit in a locker room full of wrestlers who only care about themselves. It's also ironic that Cornette talked shit about Kevin Nash and others in WCW, and now, the majority of those guys are now in TNA and in the main event. This was bound to happen to James E.

BG James is just shit now.

Anyone else see WWE stepping in somewhere down the road and grabbing BG James and Kip Wells (if he was released) and bringing them back to DX. I know when the whole VKM thing was going on, they talked some serious trash about Vince/HBK/HHH, but this is the wrestling business, I mean all you have to do is look at Bischoff to see that you never say never in wrestling. Anyone else see that coming?

Anyone else see WWE stepping in somewhere down the road and grabbing BG James and Kip Wells (if he was released) and bringing them back to DX. I know when the whole VKM thing was going on, they talked some serious trash about Vince/HBK/HHH, but this is the wrestling business, I mean all you have to do is look at Bischoff to see that you never say never in wrestling. Anyone else see that coming?

I think you mean Kip James. Isn't Kip Wells a pitcher? The only way Vince bring them in is if they can make him money. A DX of HHH, HBK and the New Age Outlaws is a version that has not been seen before and it would boost the tag team division. So if they think it will draw, then they should bring them back, but it only works if you bring them both back and not just BG.

I have to agree with Sly on this situation, Jim Cornette was being paid to stay home, he wasn't doing anything else apart from taking bookings from independant companies, I just hope he goes back to ring of honor or does something else creative to help build another wrestling company.

I hear Jerry is looking for more talent, If he can make it to the old TNA base in nashville I believe he can help grow another grass routes company.

As for BG, well he didn't do anything for the company and was looking to leave anyhoo, i doubt he cares hes even been released.

Will this help the company grow?, i doubt it, will it matter? the only important person in this equation is Cornette so lets see if he goes back to ring of honor or leaves the industry, I wish him luck whatever he does

I know this would most likely never happen, but i think Cornette making a return to WWE would be kool. Seeing him as an announcer, or GM of RAw, or even working with creative....lord knows creative needs all the help they can get...

BG james I can give or take.

Cornette getting fired just shows how idiotic TNA really is. This guy could actually book and write storylines and unlike anyone else in TNA, they would actually make sense. I know it wasn't his job, but it shows how dumb the higher-ups of TNA really are.

Honestly, I don't watch a whole lot of TNA, but I do read about it. Seems like they are dumping Jarrett allies left and right, and this is all politically driven. Losing BG James as an agent is okay. I don't think it really matters either way. I always found him entertaining with the New Age Outlaws (who didn't love the, "Oh, you didn't know?") but his time in front of the camera has probably come and gone.

Now Cornette is a totally different deal. One of the reasons I don't watch TNA is the lack of interesting and creative storylines. Cornette could have thrived in the role of booker if given the chance. But they used him as an on air character (a role which he was great in, I watched when he was on), and then sent him home in lieu of Foley.

I have recently watched a couple of shoot interviews with Cornette, as well as the "Guest Booker," where he relates how he would have booked the Invasion storyline. I highly recommend watching it if you get the chance, by the way. The man is passionate about the business and incredibly knowledgeable about psychology and what works and what doesn't.

In a business that is severely lacking on the creative side of things, especially in the "big two," I certainly hope Cornette and others can find a way to let the past be the past and put one of the greatest minds in wrestling today to work entertaining us all.

I mean, who among us hasn't wanted to smack Santino at least once?

I think its total BS that there letting go Jarrett's freinds when no one knows the real story behind all this some say that hes dating Karen Angle big deal Kurt and her are DIVORCED dose it really matter to everyone in TNA if Jarrett's dating Karen Angle its none of there buessness who hes dating he has a right to date anyone he feels like its a free country but going back to the firing of Cornette and BG James if TNA Did this just for spite cause of Jeff dating Karen then i could see Dixie Carter getting sued for Depformation and Slander because lets face it if they just fried them for beenin freinds with Jeff Jarrett then Cornette BG James and Mantel have a good case for the courts.

This whole anti-Jarrett thing has to go. Mind you, the guy may never have reakky been able to draw a dime in some people opinion, but he did found TNA and thew fact that this is happening is terrible. Jeff worked pretty damn hard to get that company off of the ground and Angle is just an ass anymore. People talk about how he draws ratings and I still say "Prove It". Take him off of television and see what happens. The guys a wreck and the fact that he is essentially able to be in the boss's ear and make company shaping decisions is a horror. These guys getting fired was a stupid move. WWE is doing a D-X reunion and The Road Dogg being in on this wouldn't hurt at all. As for Cornette, I hope he does end up with someone like RoH as the company needs that extra oomph to get over the hump and someone like Cornette at the helm could get people interested and get them watching more. Money is a good thing and if RoH sneaks up and bites both of the "Big 2" companies in the ass, that would be funny. It would almost be like ECW all over again where the "Monday Night Wars" are concerned as nobody was worried about them. Not saying this is what will happen, but could be humorous.

I agree that the New Age Outlaws should reunite in WWE, because they were very over as a tag team. However, I don't see BG going without Gunn as he will just be used to get guys over. I think Kip should leave TNA because they keep giving him stupid gimmicks. A DX with Triple H, HBK, and the Outlaws would be fresh and I think they could do a lot with it. So, hopefully that will happens in the not so distant future.

Yep, like most I could care less about this news. BG was useless on TV, and he's probably easily replaceable. And while I was a fan of Cornette and stuff, he's been off TV for months and I got use to TNA without him(like most fans).

I think people are making a bigger deal out of Jarett's "friends" getting fired than their should be. Did anybody think that the only reason these guys were hired in the first place was because of friendship? Color me naive but if they were hired and kept because they were in good company with Jeff, wouldn't it make sence to get rid of them now that he's no longer in charge, and find better replacements?

Dixie obviously has a different plan for TNA then Jeff did, and I'm glad she's cutting "dead weight"(if they are in fact), and hire fresher, people. No need to keep guys around if Dixie doesn't like their ideas or qualification just because Jarett did for friendship.

I'm not surprised they let BG James go, but letting Jim Cornette go is a little bit shocking. Then again, I doubt TNA really gives a shit about what Cornette has to say anymore with the direction they're headed in.

I was kind of surprised myself at the release of Cornette. It has been told countless times by many wrestlers and wrestling personalities that Jim has an excellent mind for the business, and brings a lot to the table creatively.

Sadly it looks like his days were numbered once Foley pretty much absorbed his position and took his spot in the company. And what's said above pretty much sums it all up.

Not really surprising. I can't even remember the last time either of these guys were on TV, it must have been months. They may have been doing some creative and backstage stuff, but I doubt it was anything major. TNA should have released them instead of paying them pretty decent salaries to do very little.

However, if this is Dixie trying to send a message to Jarrett and his friends instead of a business decision, I'd be very disappointed. You'd think she wouldn't be worrying about any of that stuff now, if this is the case, that'd be awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back