Tired of Interleague Play

The Brain

King Of The Ring
In 1997 interleague play was introduced to Major League Baseball. It was an interesting new idea that was designed to spike attendance. Fans would get the opportunity to see teams they otherwise never would. This was especially profitable for teams that had natural rivals in opposite leagues such as Mets vs. Yankees and Cubs vs. White Sox.

For the first few years there was a buzz around the league when interleague play rolled around. In my opinion that buzz has disappeared. Interleague play has lost its luster. They are now just another game on the schedule. I’m from Chicago and even Cubs vs. Sox doesn’t seem to generate the same excitement it used to.

I’m a little old school. As a Cubs fan I miss seeing teams from my own league. Every year there is only one home and one road series with each team from the NL east and west. There have been times in the past where the Cubs have been finished with the Mets, for example, for the whole season in April. The Cubs and Mets used to be a pretty good rivalry, but the unbalanced schedule has pretty much killed it. The Cubs opened the season in Atlanta this year, and although the Braves haven’t been to Chicago yet, the Cubs are done in Atlanta already. I would like to see a more balanced schedule within the leagues. I know division matchups are important, but I don’t need to see the Pirates, Reds, and other division opponents 18 times a year. If the interleague games were eliminated we could see more of the traditional matchups and return to a more balanced schedule within a teams own league. I also think eliminating interleague play would make the all star game and the World Series more special as the matchups would be fresh.

As I said I’m a little old school. I’m probably a bit older than most on the forum. There’s a chance that many of you don’t remember a time without interleague so it doesn’t matter to you. Also I mentioned I live in Chicago. Although I’m a Cubs fan I always have the option of going to the Cell to see an American League team if I want. If I lived in a city with only one team I may have a different opinion.

I don’t think interleague play needs to be eliminated forever. Maybe it could be done every four years. Maybe that would bring back some of the buzz for it that I feel has been gone for the past several years. What are your thoughts on interleague play?

I have to admit, I have only begun to watch baseball since Interleague play was in tact, so I might be slightly biased. However, I am for interleague play, tbh. Creates some fun matchups that we would otherwise not see except for in the playoffs. Who wouldn't want to see Red Sox/Cardinals, Yankees/Dodgers, Yankees/Cubs, Sox/Cubs, Yankees/Mets, Angels/Athletics/Giants/Dodgers, etc. I do agree about the unbalanced schedule, however. Take away 1 home/away series b/w division opponents and add them to other divisions, so you have 12 games against your division foes, and a couple more series against intraleague foes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back