Best Player to Never Win a Title: MLB

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
Ty Cobb- Often regarded as one of the best players ever, Ty Cobb played 24 seasons, 22 with the Detroit Tigers. Cobb won 14 batting titles and finished with a career .366 batting average. He made it to three straight World Series from 1907-1909 but fell short each time. This is my pick.

Ted Williams- One of the greatest players to ever live, Williams spent 19 seasons with the Boston Red Sox. He had an amazing career and finished it with a .344 career batting average. He only made one trip to the World Series in 1946 but he was injured right before the series and did not play very well as the Bo Sox lost in 7 games.

Ernie Banks- Mr. Cub played 19 seasons, all in Chicago. He was a rare power hitting shortstop with 512 career home runs. He won 2 MVP awards in his career but he never got to play in a single post season game. Outside of Banks the Cubs were horrible and really only came close to the playoffs once in 1969 before the Miracle Mets caught up to them.

Tony Gwynn- He played 20 seasons all with the Padres and was one of the best contact hitters in MLB history. He rarely struck out and never hit below .309 in any season after his rookie year. He finished with a career average of .338. Gwynn led the Padres to two World Series in 1984 and 1998, losing to the Tigers and Yankees respectively.

Ryne Sandberg- One of the best second basemen to ever play the game, Sandberg spent all 15 full seasons of his career with the Cubs (he played in 13 games with the Phillies in 1981 before being traded to the Cubs). Sandberg and the Cubs only made two playoff appearances in 1984 and 1989, losing in the first round both times.

Other candidates include: Robin Yount, Don Mattingly, Ken Griffey Jr, etc…

There are a lot in baseball. There are two recent players that have to be mentioned. Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr. Bonds is the all time home run king, and many feel (myself included) that Griffey would have that title if not for his injuries. These were the top two players throughout the 90s and Bonds well into the 00s. Bonds made it to one World Series in 2002, but lost in game 7. Griffey never made it to the dance. I can think of some more, but I'll give others the chance to respond first.

Have to go Ted Williams. Had he not had to take time off to be in the Navy, he could have made a run at the all time home run record (had 521 home runs, took in essence 5 years off, 40 a year would be 721 so he would have had the record at the time) and considered one of if not the best hitter ever. He was the best player in his time and unfortunately didn't have a lot of talent around him. To me this really isn't close. Cobb was a great hitter but I'm not so sure on his defense and I'd put him as second. Banks is great, but I'll take Williams over him any day. It's Williams.

There are a lot in baseball. There are two recent players that have to be mentioned. Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr. Bonds is the all time home run king, and many feel (myself included) that Griffey would have that title if not for his injuries. These were the top two players throughout the 90s and Bonds well into the 00s. Bonds made it to one World Series in 2002, but lost in game 7. Griffey never made it to the dance. I can think of some more, but I'll give others the chance to respond first.

Griffey is my number two choice right behind Cobb at 1 and Williams 1a. I didn't highlight guys like him and Bonds because everyone knows about their accomplishments but they definitely deserve consideration.

Ah, too many to name. Out of the lot named already I would go with Ty Cobb, one of the greatest players ever, his biggest competition to that crown in this group is Teddy Ballgame, but I'll give the edge to Cobb in this one for having the all time highest batting average. I think I might end up having alot of posts in this thread if it has some decent activity, nothing better than talking about all time great baseball players. As far as pure athletes I'd go Griffey, as some of you know Griffey is one of, if not my favorite player of all time. A case could definatly be made for him, the only real hang up on Griffey in this thread is that he never did get deep in the playoffs so we never got to see how great he potentially could have been in big games. How a player performs in big games has alot to do with their greatness, so I'll hold off on putting the crown on Junior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back