Best Player Series: MLB Shortstops

Rhonda Rousey's Sports Bra

Kinda Sorta Old School
This is the sixth in a series of threads about the best players in the MLB at their positions. I'm going to use the past 5 years as the criteria, that eliminates one hit wonder and life time acheivement award type players.

Shortstop will be the sixth position in the series.

The question is who do you think the best shortstop in the MLB is and why?

Be ready to defend your choice.

My choice will be Hanley Ramirez. The Rookie of the Year in 2006 is also a 2x All Star and 2x Silver Slugger. His career is only really 4 seasons but they are 4 great seasons with a career batting average of .315. Hanley is my choice.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/ramirha01.shtml

It has to be "The Captain" Derek Jeter. You say Hanley has a batting average of .315 over the last 5 years. Jeter has (according to my math) and average of .322 over the last 5. Hanley has 2 all star appearances. Jeter has 4. You say Hanley has a ROTY award and so does Jeter. Of course its not in the last 5 years, but its a ROTY award. Finally, you say he has 2 silver sluggers and Jeter beats him again with 4 in the last 5 years. Not to mention 2 Hank Aaron Awards, 3 Gold Gloves, and top 3 finishes in 2 of the last 5 MVP votings.

If Hanley is the best competition to Jeter, then Jeter has this in a runaway.

My pick is Jimmy Rollins. While his average my not be on par with the likes of Jeter he still has a solid average and he beats Jeter in many other categories. J Roll in the last 5 years has more home runs, doubles, triples, stolen bases, less strike outs, and a better slugging percentage then Jeter. They are also pretty even when it comes to rbi's. As far as fielding goes Rollins has less errors and a better fielding percentage the last 5 years compared to Jeter.

When it comes to awards both guys have 3 gold gloves and one World Series ring the last 5 years. However, while Jeter has a couple top three MVP finishes, Rollins has actually won the award. His 2007 season was arguably the best by any shortstop in the last 5 years with only Hanley Ramirez's 2009 season competing with it.

Derek Jeter Not only did he grow up a Yankees fan, he also realizes day in and day out how lucky he is to be playing for the Yankees. If you ever watch Yankeeography, he was almost drafted by the Reds, and the Astros, but they both deiced to pick somebody else.

Anyway, you bring up Hanley's awards, I can do you better. Jeter is a:
Rookie of The Year (1996)
2000 All Star Game MVP
2000 World Series MVP
4X Gold Glove Winner
4X Silver Slugger
10X All Star

While Jeter has never won an MVP award, he has come close on two occasions. Jeter's hustle on the field makes him great, remember the "Bubble Shuffle" in the 2001 ALCS? Or how about the Relay throw to home during the 2000 World Series? The infamous "Dive Into The Stands" play on July 1st 2004? He's called Mr. November, and Captain Clutch. Why? Because when the game is on the line, Jeter knows how to keep the Yankees alive. He loves the Yankees, he loves the fans, he loves the game in general. I was lucky enough to meet Jeter, and we talked for about 10 minutes, and he was a very cool guy. Not a stuck-up prick like some other players are. Jeter is by far, the best Shortstop in baseball right now.

I thought about Hanley and Rollins. I was hoping to make a case for Michael Young. The final decision has to be Jeter. Jeter hit at least .300 each of the past five years. He had at least 200 hits and 100 runs scored in four of the five. His power numbers are good relative to his role on the team. He’s capable of stealing 30 bases if necessary. Jeter has 3 gold gloves in the last five years and always makes difficult plays seem effortless. In my opinion he should have been MVP in 2006. He has a great mind for baseball and is always in the right place at the right time. His biggest contributions don’t show up in the box scores. He is the undisputed leader on a talented team with high expectations. He not only accepts this responsibility but thrives under the pressure. Although he’s always so cool you look at him it seems as if he’s never under any pressure at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back