If Epstein and Hoyer could win a World Series with the Cubs...

Fire Marshall Bill

Let me show ya somethin!!!
Since the deal with Theo Epstein is all but finalized and Jed Hoyer is coming along with him to help run the Chicago Cubs, I figured now would be a good time to speculate since they both won 2 World Series' with the Boston Red Sox.

Every baseball fan knows how bad the Cubs have been for a long time. They haven't won a World Series since 1908. They haven't even won a pennant since 1945. They're such losers in fact, they've actually become the "loveable losers" type in sports. Most Cubs fans, to include myself, have become so used to losing that it doesn't phase us anymore. No matter how good of a season we have, it's really only a matter of time. Take a look at the 1969 Chicago Cubs season if you want a great example. Maybe the best second place team of all time. A team stacked full of Hall of Famers. At one point in August they were 9 games ahead of the New York Mets in the standings. They ultimately lost 17 out of their last 25 games while the Mets went on a major streak and won the division handily. In 2008, oddly exactly 100 years after their last World Series victory, the Cubs had a stellar season and finished with 97 wins. They were swept 3-0 in their first playoff series.

Some people say they're cursed. There's the goat curse of the 1945 World Series, the last time the Cubs ever made it that far. Others could just simply put it as bad luck. Look at the Steve Bartman incident... Has anyone seen that guy since?

What I'm saying is the Cubs are obviously in an extremely bad way, to put it very mildly. Even worse than the Boston Red Sox drought of 86 years, which is no small feat by any means. Boston has had their share of bad luck (who can forget the Bill Buckner incident?). At least they can say they had been to the World Series much more recently than the Cubs even if they lost.

What I'm saying is, having broken the Boston Red Sox curse/drought/bad luck/whatever you wanna call it - and then going even further and winning ANOTHER World Series together - how big would it be for them to ALSO get the Chicago Cubs their first World Series Championship in now over 100 years?

I would think that would be absolutely huge. I'm talking like instant Hall of Fame huge. Whoever finally breaks the Chicago Cubs' World Series win drought is going to be big no matter what. But to say you've broken not only the Cubs' drought but ALSO the Red Sox's would be amazing. I'm not trying to get my hopes up as I've already explained that it's only a matter of time before we lose, but theorizing, how big would that even be in comparison to major moments in other sports?

Anyways, since I'm a Cubs fan and can be biased, what do you guys think?

How major would it be for Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer to pull it off with the Red Sox and also the Cubs?
Is it Hall of Fame worthy?
Where would you rank it in terms of major sports milestones?

I became interested in dreams when I was five years old. Every Saturday and Sunday morning, my dad asked me what I dreamed. He left for work at six thirty in the morning, too early for me to be out of bed, so weekends were the only time he asked about my dreams. Dad would go out into the kitchen, pull open the drawer of the china cupboard, and take out a tablet, pencil and a bright orange book. He wrote down my dream, not the entire contents just key words he wanted to look up the meaning of. Then he would open the book; flip through the pages until he found the one he wanted.After jotting down a list of numbers he folded the paper, tucked it into his shirt pocket, scoop up his things, and carefully place them in his special spot in the drawer. Then he would go for his morning walk to the friendly neighborhood barber who was also the neighborhood bookie.One day out of curiosity, I took out the book. That was my first encounter with a dream book, which was really a lucky numbers dream book. It had alphabetically words that gave a brief meaning of what an object meant to the dreamer followed by a number. When my dreams become more detailed and somewhat too complicated Dad stopped asking me about my dreams. I was dreaming about things that seemed to my dad far-fetched fantasies. I did my best to clarify what I was seeing in my dreams but my limited knowledge and vocabulary wasn't adequate. I missed thweekend brief discussions. I couldn't find anyone to share my dream interest. Listening to a ten years old talk about dreams was boring especially when what I had to say seemed to them like utter nonsense. I was labeled "having a great imagination". I began to wonder if most people never dreamed. Why was I so different? If no one else seemed to think dreams matter, then why should I? It did matter to me. What was it about dreams that fascinated me?

20100723151057-2091601764.jpg

Diablo 3 Items

If Theo could win a world series with the cubs, he will be a hall of famer, no doubt. I think he could possibly pull it off, maybe in year 4 or 5 of his contract. He is good at drafting great talent at all positions. When it comes to free agency he is a big hit or miss general manager. Besides drafting he makes his big splashes in the trade market. I mean getting Schilling, Beckett, Lowell, Bay, Martinez, A-Gon, just those 6 alone made big impacts with the Red Sox. I wish you guys all the luck in the world and I hope that the Red Sox and Cubs meet in the world series sometime soon. As a huge Sox fan i wouldn't really mind losing to the cubs, if we were to lose to a team the cubs would be the only one i wouldnt mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back