Time for the young guys to step up.

Blade

"Original Blade"
Within the coming months, WWE will be missing a few major main eventers. Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker, Triple H. Jeff Hardy is apparently going to leave this summer too.

So with 4 of the biggest faces being gone and Batista apparently turning heel, it appears that it's time for the next generation of main eventers to be made.

The last generation that stepped up to the main event scene were the likes of Orton, Edge, Cena and Batista, who all became main eventers between 2004 and 2006.

But who will it be this time? What midcarders are going to benefit from the lack of main event talent in the coming months?

Obviously, CM Punk is gonna be one of the most prominent new main eventers, who else will we see challenging (and possibly defeating) world champions soon?

MVP, John Morrison & Kofi Kingston are the ones I can think of. MVP is looking like he could well be in the hunt for the WWE title, due to the fact that he has stepped up to Orton and Legacy and done a good job of it. Plus he is due a chance at the title in my opinion and would make a rather good champion. I'm a big fan of MVP. Morrison has already been given a push before but now he's gone solo, he could well be a top guy in the company. And Kingston because he is just such an exciting prospect and I just hope that he gets a shot. He has enough energy and passion to ignite any crowd and would be an interesting main eventer. MVP and Kofi are very over and are showing their true colours. Morrison is less over but that will change in time. These three men are, in my opinion, the men who will soon rise to the top of the company and be able to take on people like Orton, Cena, Edge, Jericho and (unfortunatly) Triple H.

yes definitley a time for the young guys to step up and the two guys best set up for success have to be MVP and john morrison. mvp has a great heel to deal with in Orton, and Morrison with edge and jericho. those two have paths to success. just lets all hope they do not waste this push time for cm punk again, he can not be a star, niether can benjamin. so please push mvp and jomo.

Whilst agree it's time to see some new MErs, I don't think we actually will. Whilst Triple H, 'Taker and HBK are out, there are still plenty top tier talent to satisfy feuds.

RAW:
Big Show, Cena, Batista, Orton (main eventers)
MVP, Matt Hardy, Regal, DiBiase, Kingston (filler feuds)

Smackdown:
Edge, Jericho, CM Punk, Jeff Hardy, Kane
Shelton Benjamin, Khali, Morrison, Rey Mysterio, Umaga (filler feuds)

The missing talent seems to be heavy towards RAW and I'm certain they will drag out their current ME event feuds until HBK and Triple H are ready to return. Likewise, with Taker out, they actually don't miss out on much as he's barely there anyway. Jeff Hardy's done nothing of note recently to be missed if he does go so I can't see too many problems ahead.

Personally though I would like to see MVP, Matt Hardy and Umaga elevated to ME spots on their relevant brands in place of those currently missing.

Whilst agree it's time to see some new MErs, I don't think we actually will. Whilst Triple H, 'Taker and HBK are out, there are still plenty top tier talent to satisfy feuds.

RAW:
Big Show, Cena, Batista, Orton (main eventers)
MVP, Matt Hardy, Regal, DiBiase, Kingston (filler feuds)

Smackdown:
Edge, Jericho, CM Punk, Jeff Hardy, Kane
Shelton Benjamin, Khali, Morrison, Rey Mysterio, Umaga (filler feuds)

But look at the ME talent on both shows. The problem isn't only lack of Main eventers, but also face:heel ratio.

Look at Raw,
Big Show- heel, Cena- face, Batista- Turning heel soon, Orton- heel.

And SD:
Edge- heel, Jericho- heel, Punk- face, Hardy- leaving soon, Kane- heel.

See the problem? They need new faces, not only new main eventers.

The wrestlers that could step up to main event this time will most likely be:

-MVP
-CM Punk
-Shelton Benjamin
-John Morrison
- Matt Hardy
- Mr. Kennedy (as long as he stays uninjured)
- Umaga

The problem with your list here is that 6 out of those 7 wrestlers STILL need IMPROVEMENT. besides MVP, none of those guys can cut a decent promo. And you got another guy who's injury proned, a guy who's been a glorified mid-carder for years now (that should be his home, by the way) and still can't hack it in the main event, and the other ones who just aren't ready. Maybe punk getting a heel turn might work, since for me, he looks like a wrestler who should be a heel and I hear he's a prick in real life anyway. MVP is the only man i can see main eventing soon, everyone else gets the ax.

I think WWE will be very interesting in the next year or so, they look like they're gonna be attempting to push some new guys to main event level. The ones I think that will succeed are:

MVP - I think he's the best bet to get over out of the possible guys to push, after the reaction to his promo with Orton last week I hope they heard and realise that people want to get behind him. If they push him right over the next couple of months, defending the US title against DiBiase & Rhodes, he could be ready for a 1 on 1 title match with Orton on PPV sometime after Summerslam.

CM Punk - If he stays a babyface then he can only go so far, you can tell people are getting sick of him and he's getting less and less of a reaction each week, but a heel turn could be the thing he needs to step his game up and succeed with this push unlike his bomb of a World title reign last year.

John Morrison - I think he's really earned this push he's about to get and he could have some great matches with Jericho, Punk, Rey, Edge etc on SD, but I don't think it was smart to turn him heel so soon though.

Jack Swagger - I think this guy is definitely a future World Champion, although not in the next year.

There's others like Matt Hardy, Kennedy, Miz etc who will also be pushed but I can't see them main eventing.

The problem with your list here is that 6 out of those 7 wrestlers STILL need IMPROVEMENT. besides MVP, none of those guys can cut a decent promo. And you got another guy who's injury proned, a guy who's been a glorified mid-carder for years now (that should be his home, by the way) and still can't hack it in the main event, and the other ones who just aren't ready. Maybe punk getting a heel turn might work, since for me, he looks like a wrestler who should be a heel and I hear he's a prick in real life anyway. MVP is the only man i can see main eventing soon, everyone else gets the ax.

Im sick of people saying MVP cuts awsum promos after the one against Ortan. I mean, sure it was great, but can anyone remember MVP cutting a good promo before that? CM punk as a heel might work, but i think Shelton as a face would be better, as he is not a very good promo man and faces dont cut as many promos. MVP should stay on the midcard for now until he gets better in the ring. Kennedy has the charisma, but not the in ring skills and is always getting injured. Shelton is the way to go

The most likely to step up on RAW: MVP, Kofi Kingston, Mr Kennedy (if he's healty) The Miz, Matt Hardy, Legacy (they kinda are in the main event now, but could become more important and get individual feuds of their own soon)

The most likely to step up on SD!: CM Punk, John Morrison, Kane (could get another big push this year) Rey Mysterio (same as with Kane) R-Truth, Shelton Benjamin (prolly still midcard, but a small chance he could become bigger) and Umaga

The most likely to step up on ECW: Christian already did sorta by winning the ECW title, and could go onto to do things on RAW or SD once people start jumping brands like usual a couple months after the draft. Same with Evan Bourne and Jack Swagger

Im sick of people saying MVP cuts awsum promos after the one against Ortan. I mean, sure it was great, but can anyone remember MVP cutting a good promo before that? CM punk as a heel might work, but i think Shelton as a face would be better, as he is not a very good promo man and faces dont cut as many promos. MVP should stay on the midcard for now until he gets better in the ring. Kennedy has the charisma, but not the in ring skills and is always getting injured. Shelton is the way to go

MVP cut pretty good heel promos, and he did just cut a pretty spectacular face promo. People have every right to say he's awesome on the mic after that. Also, you can't say he needs to get better in the ring. He out wrestled Orton last Monday. The only think I could think of to help out MVP is giving him a new finisher. The Playmaker is kind of silly looking, and the running boot in the corner or drive-by aren't really finishing type moves, in my opinion anyway.

I think on SmackDown at least, these pushes are beginning. Let's take last Friday's episode as an example. Jericho and Edge are out cutting the opening promo for the show, and out comes....CM Punk! Later in the evening, he is in the main event and pins the World Champion. The only reason Punk isn't champ right now is because Umaga returned and surprised Punk with a superkick and his version of the Black Hole Slam. I don't know why MVP was there, but he faced Dolph Ziggler for the U.S. title, meaning the Ziggler could be getting that midcard push he was probably getting before he got suspended. Remember, Dolph pinned MVP a couple weeks ago. Finally, right before the Punk-Edge match, Jericho was shown in the back yelling at Teddy Long. He is then confronted by the same man who beat Shelton Benjamin earlier in the evening, John Morrison!

So, judging only by the first episode of SmackDown where the draft was mostly enforced (I'm looking at you MVP), three draftees stepped up and look to be in better places than they were a month ago. Punk has a potential feud with Edge and/or Umaga, Ziggler is being shown as a midcard player who could hold the Intercontinental Title very soon, and John Morrison could be the face in a feud with Jericho. We will have to see how Raw copes with these changes, but I love where SmackDown is heading.

Almost everyone of MVP's promo's are great and MVP is great in the ring, MUCH better than Shelton is in every way possible. Turning CM Punk as heel right now wouldn't work at all. He's the exact kind of face the WWE should want right now coming off of all the steroids. Plus since the WWE is aiming toward a younger audience, why not have the guy who doesn't smoke, drink, or do drugs be the face. Plus i think you have it mixed up, Shelton should be staying in the midcard, not MVP. Shelton has had chance after chance after chance and has dropped the ball every single time.

Almost everyone of MVP's promo's are great and MVP is great in the ring, MUCH better than Shelton is in every way possible. Turning CM Punk as heel right now wouldn't work at all. He's the exact kind of face the WWE should want right now coming off of all the steroids. Plus since the WWE is aiming toward a younger audience, why not have the guy who doesn't smoke, drink, or do drugs be the face. Plus i think you have it mixed up, Shelton should be staying in the midcard, not MVP. Shelton has had chance after chance after chance and has dropped the ball every single time.

When did Shelton drop the ball?

Was it when he was Intercontinental Champion for 7 months and having great matches with people like Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho, and Christian?

Was it his second title reign when the WWE stuck him with that awful "Mama's Boy" storyline? He was still having good matches with guys like Carlito and Rob Van Dam.

Maybe it was his 3rd I-C title reign.

Maybe he dropped the ball when he was teamed back up with Charlie Haas for no reason for an entire year.

Or maybe he dropped it during his 8 month reign as U.S. Champion. Against guys like R-Truth who didn't live up to the hype, and Gregory Helms who Vince McMahon was so impressed with his return to the ring. He turned him into a backstage interviewer on the 3rd rate show!!!

Shelton Benjamin never dropped the ball because he was never actually given the ball to run with in the first place.

Some of the guys mentioned so far i just don't see main eventing even though i think they could. I just can't see the WWE pushing Shelton, R-Truth, The Miz or Kofi into main event status. Unfortunatley i see them as great solid midcarders for the duration of their careers even though guys like Shelton and R-Truth are great in the ring i just can't see it happening.

The guys to step up on:

RAW - MVP will be getting a push and so will Kennedy if he comes back ok.
Smackdown - CM Punk and John Morrison will be getting push's this year.
ECW - Christian and Swagger although Swagger might not get his chance until 2010.

Was it when he was Intercontinental Champion for 7 months and having great matches with people like Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho, and Christian?

Was it his second title reign when the WWE stuck him with that awful "Mama's Boy" storyline? He was still having good matches with guys like Carlito and Rob Van Dam.

Maybe he dropped the ball when he was teamed back up with Charlie Haas for no reason for an entire year.

Or maybe he dropped it during his 8 month reign as U.S. Champion. Against guys like R-Truth who didn't live up to the hype, and Gregory Helms who Vince McMahon was so impressed with his return to the ring. He turned him into a backstage interviewer on the 3rd rate show!!!

Shelton Benjamin never dropped the ball because he was never actually given the ball to run with in the first place.

You see the names in bold? He's feuding with all those people, former and a current world champion, and yet he is still stuck in the mid card, like you said he was never given the ball because the WWE doesn't trust him. His U.S. Title reign was nothing, i dont even remember the r-truth and g-helms feud, only feud i remember was the one with MVP. But you said, he was never given the ball in the first place? Like i said earlier, he had matches with ALL of those performers and what did he get out of it?

You see the names in bold? He's feuding with all those people, former and a current world champion, and yet he is still stuck in the mid card, like you said he was never given the ball because the WWE doesn't trust him. His U.S. Title reign was nothing, i dont even remember the r-truth and g-helms feud, only feud i remember was the one with MVP. But you said, he was never given the ball in the first place? Like i said earlier, he had matches with ALL of those performers and what did he get out of it?

He got 3 Intercontinental Title Reigns, and a U.S. Title Reign. That's what he got out of it. Along with 2 WWE Tag Team Title Reigns.

On what grounds would the WWE have for not trusting him? Is it because of his supposed lack of mic skills?

They've given main event spots to people like Great Khali and Umaga. Guys who don't even speak English on television.

He's never really been in any backstage trouble. Unlike Jeff Hardy, who most likely won't even be in the WWE at the end of the year. This guy gets main event chance, after main event chance. And I really don't have a problem with it. But to say "The WWE doesn't trust him" is kind of a lame excuse.

You can say "He doesn't get a crowd reaction", but who does? During Raw tonight, the entire crowd was sitting on their asses not reating to anything going on. Back in the day, if heels did something to the extent that Randy Orton did. The ring would be filled with trash, and people would be pelting Orton and Legacy with Beer Cup after Beer Cup. Now a days, nothing.

You could say "He doesn't sell merchandise". How many T-Shirts did JBL sell before he became WWE champion? What about The Great Khali, how much heat did he get? Who the hell even cared about Bradshaw before he joined up with Ron Simmons?

That guy was a jobber for years until the APA. Then they were just a good team, they weren't great. Not great enough for a guy like JBL to go from being in a tag team to winning the World Title.

If his U.S. Title reign was "nothing". He wouldn't have had it for 8 months.

He was going against guys like Triple H and The Undertaker during that time, too. So it's not like he was doing nothing as the U.S. Champ.

It took guys like Benoit and Guerrero until they were almost in their 40's before they won their 1st world title.

Great wrestlers get overlooked for Main Event pushes constantly.

I couldnt agree with you more. Shelton is very deserving of a main event push. Im not saying MVP doesnt or that people dont have the rights to thier opinions, but Shelton NEVER got a main event chance. EVER. I respect MVP but Shelton is just more deserving.

Shelton deserves a real chance to be in the ME. Yes his mic skills are not the best but as stated before people like umaga, khali and kozlov have all got ME chances. Umaga's was deserving as he can actully look good in the ring.

He can wrestle as good and in most cases better than the current ME talent.
But i know this may be racist but who gets the feeling because he is black he gets held back??? dont burn me for that just voicing my opinion.

Smackdown is the best built Brand for the phase of Next-Gen Superstars that'll need to step up. Raw, whether people want to see it that way or not, is going to be hurting badly in a month's time.

Rumors are Triple H will be returning after Judgment Day, by way of House Shows. If this is true, he'd likely return at Judgment Day to continue his program with Orton, or begin a new one with Batista. Either way, I look for Shawn Michaels to return soon to feud with Orton as well.

The only up-starts Raw has that can come into play by filling in the pieces are going to be the following:

M.V.P: Already beginning to take full effect it seems. M.V.P is likely going to drop the United States Championship soon, but not for a bad reason.. instead, so he can jump up in the Main Event scene and begin a feud with either Orton, Legacy, or Batista.

My guess is he can drop the Championship to someone like THE Brian Kendrick, Miz, or possibly even Regal. (but I'd hope not the latter) Porter has all the talent, in-ring and mic-skills to become the next Heavyweight Champion. And by all the signs, it looks like this will happen within a year's time. Maybe not on Raw, but then again, who knows.

Either way, M.V.P is every bit of what his name says he is.. currently, He's Raw's best hope for leading the next group of Superstars looking to step up in a time when they need some new Main Eventers the most.

Kofi Kingston: Kingston has quietly been on a push. He began in E.C.W with an undefeated streak that was quietly ended by Shelton Benjamin. This lead to a really good feud between the two of them.

Kingston came to Raw and won the Intercontinental Championship, again rather quietly, only to drop it without even losing to begin with. He was meant to be in the Elimination Chamber, but as Edge took his place it never panned out. Kingston is the stereo-typical Main Event prospect.

He's always getting quiet pushes to the top spot, but never getting the spotlight pushes to make people remember them. I think Kingston has all the in-ring talent and ability, but he doesn't talk much. He has a good look, but not the look of a Main Event "big man". I firmly believe Kingston & Miz can feud (quietly or not) over the United States title, should Miz gain it.

The Miz: Miz is currently making himself the W.C.W version of Chris Jericho. He's unofficially claiming to hold a 2-0 win streak against Cena.. which is similar to Jericho's streak against Goldberg.

Miz has the mouth to be a Champion, but his in-ring skills might still need some tune-ups. Currently, Miz is one of, if not THE best mid-carder they have. That's saying a lot, considering I believe Matt Hardy and Kingston are mid-carders.

Smackdown on the other hand has a great installment of talent. I won't say much on them, but the ones I believe are going to strive not just on Smackdown, but overall for the future will be:

C.M. Punk: Punk is the main guy out of everyone whos been pushed, dropped, repushed, hurt, tarnished, and repushed.. he's been through shit everywhere in the past two years and yet people still love him. He's here to stay, regardless what anyone thinks.

This coming from one of the biggest Punk "haters" there is.. Punk is a very important piece to the future of this Company, and Smackdown is his last opportunity to make the most of becoming a Main Eventer.

Jericho, Edge & Mysterio are all key pieces in the puzzle that is Punk's rise (or fall) to the top spot. If Punk can't work with those three individuals, then he truly is a failure and doesn't need anymore pushes.. nor a spot on television. While I may dislike Punk, I don't think he's a failure. I just think they need to discover his strengths from his weaknesses a bit better.

John Morrison: I've been huge on Morrison since his days as "Johnny (don't call me Monday) Nitro". Of course I never thought he'd be anything until the days of M.N.M., especially when he broke away w/ Melina and became a nice Intercontinental Champion.

Morrison has great in-ring ability, and looks like a version of Jericho and Shawn Michaels. Mix this with the fact that he has a ton of charisma, and he's a cornerstone for the future. His downfall is not having any type of "persona". He's constantly jumping from name to name, never knowing which to stick with. He needs to stay with Morrison, or find something permanent.

He's already had some great matches with Main Eventers like Cena & Shawn Michaels. He just needs better direction.

Finally, E.C.W doesn't need to hold a lot of hope for the future, because their entire Brand is one big list of new comers who're instant contenders.

Jack Swagger, Tyson Kidd, Christian & Evan Bourne are all the future for that Brand.. and they'll make it work.

Shelton deserves a real chance to be in the ME. Yes his mic skills are not the best but as stated before people like umaga, khali and kozlov have all got ME chances. Umaga's was deserving as he can actully look good in the ring.

He can wrestle as good and in most cases better than the current ME talent.
But i know this may be racist but who gets the feeling because he is black he gets held back??? dont burn me for that just voicing my opinion.

People don't want to admit it. But it's entirely possible that race might be a factor. They'll accuse you of "playing the race card".

The Rock became the first WWF Champion of African American descent over 5 years after Ron Simmons won the WCW Title. When Bill Watts' racist ass puts the belt on a Black Man before you. There's a problem. They had no choice but to put the belt on a guy that charismatic. He was the most over guy in the entire business.

Booker T should have won the World Title in the WWE long before he won it. Back in '03 and '04 he was one of the most over guys in the company. They should have put the title on him back then.

It's a lot harder for Black Wrestlers to become World Champion.

I'm not saying race is a factor in Shelton's case. It's definitely possible. It's not likely, but it's possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back