The Streak: Should it end?

Should the Streak End Eventually?

• YES! - the Streak is there to be broken.

• NO! - HBK is right, it can't be called the Streak with a loss included.

Results are only viewable after voting.

L@RISANO

R.I.P Mustang Sally :( :( :(
Here is a link to a podcast interview published, where HBK was the one being interviewed by Renee Young of the WWE.

http://www.sescoops.com/shawn-michaels-speaks-undertakers-streak-daniel-bryan-wrestlemania/

http://podcastone.com/WWE-30-Years-Of-WrestleMania-Presented-By-WWE-Network

In that interview, he was asked a question about the Streak and if it should be ended:
Here was the answer: “Oh, no. I think The Streak is The Streak. It can’t really be called The Streak if there’s a one in the loss column.”

So, in light of the Undertaker's return on RAW and with the setup of his match with Lesnar being done.
What do you guys think about the future of the Streak?

PS: I do know this is a common topic, but with the next Streak match being setup last RAW, I think it is a great time to discuss.

Yes for me, 100 %. I know all the arguments against it, Undertaker is a legend, hes earned it, theres no one worth giving it to etc, but I still feel its one of the best things he could do as his parting gift to WWE. To retire, giving someone the chance, even if its a tiny, miniscule chance, to use a win over him at Wrestlemania to propel them towards greatness. Losing the streak wont define or change Undertakers csreer or status in history, but it could do a lot for someone else.

Wrestling is all about passing the torch, Undertaker is seen as one of the pillars of wrestling and WWE, he should choose to let someone break the streak and send the right signal to others that even he cares about the future and not just ending his career with his streak intact.

I think that if someone needs to have broken the streak in order to get over, they're probably not worth it to begin with. Guys who are talented enough to get over on their own steam, would be able to do so with even a loss to the Undertaker. Also there's the risk that the person who you let break the streak, never amounts to being a legendary wrestler. In which case, it wasn't worth it.

The main point people make when saying the streak should end is that so & so could use the win to become a star, etc...

Taker can give someone the nod & put them over in any match. A win over Taker is big regardless & using that to help push a new star can be done without ending the streak. So if that is the main reason, then it isnt a very good one.

At this point losing the streak to someone who hasnt earned their stripes would feel like a letdown. What if that person ends up being a failure? Then it makes the whole thing look bad. So we end up with multiple true legends who could not do it, but someone who is a lesser talent & overall failure did? On the reverse side, anyone that has a big name already does not exactly need the win (ex: Cena, Lesnar, Rock) because their legacy is set. Defeating the streak will not really get them any further in terms of status because they are already HOF names (now or in the future).

So, no, the streak stays undefeated.

I really think he should just retire and leave the streak like it is. when he's ready to retire of course. I guess as long as he feels good, i'll be happy to watch him in the ring.

Well if Lesnar loses then he will be 3-1 at WM, which looks pretty bad for the "beast in carnet". Who is a former NCAA, UFC AND WWE heavyweight champion losing to a guy who wrestles once maybe twice a year and is really aging. But anyways, I have the upmost respect for the deadman but I do believe that someone who is over but hasnt solidified a hof career yet should end it bc you can see that this person is in it for the long haul. Like maybe Daniel Bryan, maybe roman reigns in the future? I think those are the best bets as far as trusting they will stick around

The argument that theres no one to benefit from ending the streak doesnt wash with me, maybe ending the streak and be the catalyst for someone becoming a legend or at least help define their future. I agree that someone like Bryan could be perfect.. Theres always risk in any decision, but keeping it undefeated is the most boring and safe option. Can anyone tell me what the streak does for Undertaker? If he lost it would it diminish his other accomplishments? I dont think so. I think if you look at usefulness, the streak is much more useful as a tool to build someone else, than to just have it as a notch on undertakers resume.

Can anyone tell me what the streak does for Undertaker?

It's HIS. Think of all the past legends and all-time greats that have been around during The Undertaker's career.

- Hulk Hogan is the immortal icon and the most renowned pro wrestler in history.

- The Rock has all of the greatest highlight reel, fame, money, and fanbase.

- Stone Cold has all of the respect and the revisionist history.

- Triple H has the decorated success and the entire freaking industry at his fingertips.

What does Undertaker have?
Is he constantly given title reigns now? No.
Does he have a ton of fame outside of wrestling? No.
Historically memorable promos? Some..not many.
Does he run things in the company? No.

The Streak is what he has. It's now become his reward for being a company man for so long. What sense would it make to take from him the one thing he's remembered most for? So to answer your question, The Streak is the company's way of showing their respect for the only man who's had as great of a WWE career as The Undertaker, who's been financially beneficial to their bottom line, and who never really gave the company any trouble.

I don't think it'll end, it's what makes him special other than that he's just a brawler which fits the stereotypes of many wrestlers in the company's history.

I'd love to see him and Cena face off, he's the last threat to the streak.

The streak should never end, in my opinion. Taker has worked hard to cement his legacy. He has done everything asked of him. He has entertained us for years. He has put anyone and everyone over (Maven, anyone?). He has already done his part for Wrestling's future. Besides, if the streak ends, than the WWE can no longer make money off it. Plain and simple, the streak remaining intact is best for business.

It would seem silly to have someone win. Mainly because of the fact that literally all the biggest names over the years are gone and he's beaten them all. There just isn't anyone left in the company that deserves to "break" it anymore.

The only way I could see it happening is if the torch was passed, but Cena is the only person left that comes close to deserving a chance at breaking it and he's only got maybe 3 or 4 years left full time in him. That's hardly passing the torch.

I can't think of any argument for ending The Streak.

As has been said, I think if any guy has got the tools to make it to the top and WWE management are 100% behind him, he's going to get there regardless of who he beats on the way. Defeating The Streak might give him a gimmick and something to brag about for years to come, but ultimately if a guy has got those tools his push isn't going to hinge on that victory. On the other side of the coin, if a guy did break The Streak during his push and didn't end up 'making' it, whether it was down to injuries or an unforeseen attitude problem, drugs, or whatever, well then you've just thrown away one of the most spectacular records in professional wrestling history for nothing. That guy would have so much to live up to, as well; the pressure would be unbelievable. A few years ago it would have been beneficial but the matches with Shawn Michaels turned The Streak into something so massive that it's not worth putting that burden on anybody, regardless of how confident you are that they're going to be a star. An established star breaking The Streak, meanwhile, is a non-starter. Nobody gains anything from it.

More importantly, we are talking about something which is just unprecedented, and will almost certainly never be replicated. I doubt anything will come close. A 20+ match undefeated streak on the biggest stage of them all; it's the sort of thing that, if you've got grandkids who watch wrestling in however many years time, you're going to tell them about it with pride. It will go down in folklore. Nobody's going to tell their grandkids in forty of fifty years time about the guy who went 20+ matches undefeated but then lost at the final hurdle.

From The Undertaker's point of view - and I'm sure he'd be the first guy to offer to lay down for anybody who could benefit from it - he deserves it. For somebody who has been so important to the business over the past twenty years his accolades are fairly modest, but for The Streak. At this point, it pretty much is his career. It epitomises him, and he completely deserves that legend to live forever. From here on out, The Undertaker's career just has to be about building upon that legacy by offering him the opponents and the platform to put on the very best matches that he possibly can.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll only accept Sting ending the streak.

I don't think that the streak should only be ended as a means of passing the torch. I think that the streak can end as a show of respect to another performer for their level of popularity.

I think we all believe that if the streak ends, Undertaker will retire. I don't want him to be retired by John Cena or Roman Reigns. I want him to be retired by someone who was a part of the business when he was, paying the same dues and surviving on his popularity during a similar political climate. If Sting ends the streak, I'm sure that it'll be his last match as well. That's how it should end. I don't want a current wrestler to always have to pay penance for ending the streak or use their having ended the streak as an excuse to have more political pull.

Sting has been a class act for his entire career. When he was at John Cena level status, he was laying down for Muta, Vader and Ric Flair because sometimes that's what you do for the good of the business. Sting was the icon of WCW because the fans mandated that he be recognized as their icon, he wasn't just booked as a top face because the higher ups liked the cut of his jib. He never decided that because he was at the top that he didn't have to pay dues anymore, he's been paying dues for his whole career only as a means of positively promoting the business he loves.

Letting Sting end the streak would be like the business he loves finally returning his salute. Sting has spent his entire career earning this accolade, and he'll damn well deserve it if the time ever comes.

I won't accept anyone other than Sting ending the streak, period.

The Streak should never end. I said it 10 years ago, 5 years ago, last year, and now.

To back my opinion, I'll use actual matches and possible matches as examples:

Randy Orton - Wrestlemania 21: This was as of now the best time to end the Streak. Taker was just back as his Deadman gimmick, while Orton was the Legend Killer, and a fresh heel again. He was young, cocky, had only one World Title reign, and even had the RKO to counter out of several spots. Result: Taker won. Orton still came after him, costing him matches and eventually getting the win at Summerslam relatively cleanly for a heel, and a casket win as well before eventually losing in Hell in a Cell. A nearly 6 month feud that put Orton in the upper echelon, since he competed for the World Title in the upcoming Wrestlemania 22, and on from there. Orton didn't need to beat the Streak; only show he was a credible threat to The Undertaker, and defeat him down the road.

Edge - Wrestlemania 24: Edge was undefeated in singles and tag team action at Wrestlemania (he lost a Money in the Bank match the year before) and seemed to have Taker's number in matches. However, the story came full circle for Taker to win back the World Title, but Edge banished him in a TLC match a few PPVs later. He maintained his credibility and didn't need the Streak.

Shawn Michaels - Wrestlemania 26: Shawn was done anyway. He went out just the way his idol Ric Flair went out. He didn't want the Streak. He wanted the one person who could put him in place to put him out.

HHH - Wrestlemania 27 and 28: Fitting revenge if HHH did it? The crowd and the internet would have lost its mind if he did. Taker had to come back for 28 just to get to 20.

CM Punk - Wrestlemania 29: Taker didn't need this one, and it kinda scares me that maybe Paul Bearer's death may have made the decision to keep the Streak a walk in the park. Before it I thought there might have been a chance that Punk would have gotten the opportunity. Still, though, it only made Punk a more credible threat when he came back (albeit with terrible creative booking)

John Cena - ??? - Not unless they turn him heel, and even then, Cena ending the Streak does nothing except antagonize the crowd. Maybe if Cena's first match were against Taker it might be a full circle thing. Cena faced Angle first, though, and while Cena did benefit from a feud with American Bad-Ass Taker, they don't really acknowledge that on-air so it doesn't factor in.

Daniel Bryan - Maybe the only superstar it'd benefit because he'd be an "A" player by doing what HHH, Michaels, Flair, Orton, Batista, and on and on could not do. Still, though, Bryan facing Taker for the Streak would make more sense if Taker were champion, because Bryan's goal is validation that he deserves to be champion, not individual match achievements. Bryan wants the World Series, not the MVP award.

Sting - It'd be such a slap in the face to anyone who put their time into the WWE for Sting to never ONCE be a part of the locker room come in and beat Taker. I seriously think Sting would get the Batista treatment: a part-timer comes in and takes away a worthy spot from other full-timers, leading the fans to turn on him mercilessly. A match? Absolutely. End the Streak? Never. It'd be more venomous than good.

Roman Reigns, Bray Wyatt, any other young up-and-comer - if they're already ready to move up, I'd give him what Orton went through: lose at Wrestlemania and be a part of the Streak, come back and get that decisive win over Taker. That will establish them, because it works.

Overall on the future of the Streak:

I say it'll stays intact and goes either to 25-0, or until Taker can no longer safely and physically compete. I think he'd be glad to lay down for anyone, but he'll never have to. And the year, the month, the day he calls it a career will be a sad time for all of wrestling.

I Fully agree. The streak should remain pure. It should remain untainted. It's one of the only phenomena left within the WWE right now, the only untouched element that no-one can or will touch. That and Sammartino's reign are the only things that will NEVER be topped in WWE. Flair's amount of reigns will end shortly one would presume, with Cena being the man to top it.

The Undertaker should have this. His 22 years of mania alone should be recognized with the biggest undefeated streak. Just let the man have that accomplishment.

It's HIS. Think of all the past legends and all-time greats that have been around during The Undertaker's career.

- Hulk Hogan is the immortal icon and the most renowned pro wrestler in history.

- The Rock has all of the greatest highlight reel, fame, money, and fanbase.

- Stone Cold has all of the respect and the revisionist history.

- Triple H has the decorated success and the entire freaking industry at his fingertips.

What does Undertaker have?
Is he constantly given title reigns now? No.
Does he have a ton of fame outside of wrestling? No.
Historically memorable promos? Some..not many.
Does he run things in the company? No.

The Streak is what he has. It's now become his reward for being a company man for so long. What sense would it make to take from him the one thing he's remembered most for? So to answer your question, The Streak is the company's way of showing their respect for the only man who's had as great of a WWE career as The Undertaker, who's been financially beneficial to their bottom line, and who never really gave the company any trouble.

But thats the thing, its not his. The streak is a result of backstage writers or his bosses choosing to let him go undefeated. Respect, money, fame, great matches, great promos, all of those things you can say belong to a wrestler, but a record of undefeated matches in a scripted sport? I dont think it means as much.

Undertakers legacy is linked to his matches and entrances and moments, not just a number. I think the Undertaker will still be a legend and revered wrestler with or without the streak. He should want to give someone that opportunity imo.

But thats the thing, its not his. The streak is a result of backstage writers or his bosses choosing to let him go undefeated. Respect, money, fame, great matches, great promos, all of those things you can say belong to a wrestler, but a record of undefeated matches in a scripted sport? I dont think it means as much.

Umm I'm clearly aware that this is all storyline based. I explained that he was given the streak as a token of their appreciation for him. I'm sure he's financially compensated well by the company as well for that once a year match. It means a lot in that it's clearly their way of making his character bigger than any title. By that I mean, to beat The Undertaker at Wrestlemania would be better than a regular WWE WHC title reign since only 1 person can claim to beat the streak and Undertaker is kayfabe considered the pinnacle of an opponent's greatness.

Undertakers legacy is linked to his matches and entrances and moments, not just a number.

Those are things that all of the greats have. The only thing unique to him given by the company, is The Streak.

I mostly agree with HBK's point. Taker's streak has become part of his career legacy, an accidental part, but one that's important nonetheless. Taker's a guaranteed hall of famer no matter what, and rightly so, and I think it's safe to say that most people don't want the streak to end.

What I think will happen is this, and this is NOTHING more than a guess mixed with a touch of fantasy booking on my part: IF Taker comes out of his match with Brock Lesnar healthy, not too banged up and without severe injury; I believe that WWE will try to get one more year out of the streak. By WrestleMania XXXI, Taker will officially be 50 years old and he can't have many more goes left in him. There's reports saying that Paul Bearer will be inducted into the HOF this year and that Taker himself will make his first ever appearance at the ceremony. I can see Taker headlining next year's HOF class, his induction is announced before there's any announcement of a match. This generates the buzz that either Taker is gonna retire, that he might not wrestle at WM XXXI or that he's already retired. As a result, I can see three men stepping up to challenge Taker to one more match for their shot at ending the streak: Sting, The Rock and John Cena. Any of them would be a money match and if Taker goes into the HOF next year, it'll also generate the impression that the streak will end. Either way, it'll be the last time Taker wrestles in his career and that will help generate a lot of buys for the ppv.

If any of those three end the streak, however, people are gonna be pissed. If Sting was to get the match, there's almost no chance he'd win because I just don't see Vince having a guy that he had no hand in whatsoever in making a huge star ending the streak. If The Rock or Cena wins, there'll be a massive backlash by people claiming that neither guy "needs" the streak. They've done everything there is to do already, so ending the streak would be interpreted by some fans as something of a kiss off. Based on what I've heard & read about over the years concerning the streak, IF a decision was made to end the streak, they'd rather it was ended by a young, over, up & comer rather than someone that's already been to the top of the mountain so many times that the peak may as well be named after them. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Taker himself could choose to end the streak in order to put some young guy over and give him a massive rub. Between Angle, Henry & Kane, that's three guys that I know of that were offered by Taker to end the streak. I remember reading that Kane didn't want it as he felt it just wasn't right for him and I think management put the kaibosh on Henry and Angle ending it. Taker himself has stated that if the streak "dies", then he "dies", so for his very last match, I honestly believe that he could insist on putting someone over if he truly wanted to.

Umm I'm clearly aware that this is all storyline based. I explained that he was given the streak as a token of their appreciation for him. I'm sure he's financially compensated well by the company as well for that once a year match. It means a lot in that it's clearly their way of making his character bigger than any title. By that I mean, to beat The Undertaker at Wrestlemania would be better than a regular WWE WHC title reign since only 1 person can claim to beat the streak and Undertaker is kayfabe considered the pinnacle of an opponent's greatness.

Those are things that all of the greats have. The only thing unique to him given by the company, is The Streak.

Of course I know you are aware, I wasnt insulting you or your intelligence at all and I apologise if it came across that way. My only point is that the streak is nothing more than a fictional legacy, I dont see any value added to his career by it being intact when he retires, its not the same as Mayweathers streak. But in the world of wrestling, it can mean something to the person that ends it and if it happens as the last match of his career, he still had his gift for his whole career and will get a outstanding send off regardless.

I may be in the minority here, but I don't see any kind of reason to keep the undertaker defeated at Wrestlemania. One thing that has been said time after time is all good things must come to an end, with that being said I don't see a point to the Undertaker staying unbeaten at Mania. He's already accomplished what most superstars can only dream to, so why have him stay undefeated? I'd rather have Taker pass the torch to someone new and fresh who the WWE wants to invest a lot of their time in. Guys like HBK HHH and lots of others failed to beat the streak, and that's what'll make it so prestigious if someone beats the Undertaker, the fact that one person was able to beat the dead man when all these other legends couldn't could easily elevate anyone's career,

My question to you, is would you rather have the streak remain untouched, or have someone new defeat him, if so then who?

Unless a new Undertaker "clone" (not Kane), who's young and able to move in the ring against UT beats him at WM and goes on to have a legendary career where he crafts a streak of his own, then it's not really passing the torch.

Also, this needs to be moved to the Poll: HBK says the Streak should NOT end.... thread.

The Streak is now beyond passing of the torch. It's become its own life. I just don't think you can build some young, up and comer to beat Taker and mania and have the crowd satisfied. Undertaker has jobbed cleanly to several up and comers over the years, like Kozlov and Khali, but The Streak, IMO if broken, will not elevate a young talent, nor impress the WM audience

I may be in the minority here, but I don't see any kind of reason to keep the undertaker defeated at Wrestlemania. One thing that has been said time after time is all good things must come to an end, with that being said I don't see a point to the Undertaker staying unbeaten at Mania. He's already accomplished what most superstars can only dream to, so why have him stay undefeated? I'd rather have Taker pass the torch to someone new and fresh who the WWE wants to invest a lot of their time in. Guys like HBK HHH and lots of others failed to beat the streak, and that's what'll make it so prestigious if someone beats the Undertaker, the fact that one person was able to beat the dead man when all these other legends couldn't could easily elevate anyone's career,

My question to you, is would you rather have the streak remain untouched, or have someone new defeat him, if so then who?

If Brock Lesnar wins at Mania, I am never watching WWE again, he does NOT deserve it IMO, Brock Lesnar is a Goldberg wannabe who does a maximum of 3 moves, has the charm of a Potato, and has no mic skills, hence Paul Heyman does all his promos for him.

Maybe Roman Reigns can end the streak. Imagine at the end of the match, Reigns spearing Taker then Taker stays down for a certain time then gets up then another spear then he stays down even longer then gets up and another spear.
5 Spears to end the Streak.

Bray Wyatt ending the streak would be epic as well. I hope The Wyatt Family stays a unit for like 15 years with Bray winning major titles.

I think it fits for the Bray Wyatt character to end the streak more than reigns and it would make a lifetime heel.

In Conclusion
: I really hope The Streak ends.

If Brock Lesnar wins at Mania, I am never watching WWE again, he does NOT deserve it IMO, Brock Lesnar is a Goldberg wannabe who does a maximum of 3 moves, has the charm of a Potato, and has no mic skills, hence Paul Heyman does all his promos for him.

Nobody cares if you watch or not. Stop crying.

Lesnar is a Goldberg wannabe? lmao.

Lesnar is 1000x more talented than Goldberg ever was.

Lesnar does a maximum of 3 moves? :lmao:

Sure he does lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back