The State of Rap and Hip Hop

Okay and I've listened to Eminem's last few albums and they've all been heaping piles of steaming shit Freddy, talk about overrated, Eminem is by far the single most overrated rapper in the game today, if not ever. If I hear one more person tell me the guy is the greatest rapper of all time or even in the top five, I'm going to die of a god damn laughter-attack.

Wayne's rock album was, in fact, awful terrible drivel. But we're talking about hip-hop, are we not? And No Ceilings had some good shit on it, much better than fucking anything I've heard out of Eminem in years.

C'mon X Relapse was a good album, not great but definitely better then what the majority of people are putting out. Encore was garbage for the most, but before that he put out the Eminem Show and that is right up there with the Slim Shady and Marshall Mathers LP's in terms of greatness. He has put out one bad album, one good album, and three great ones. He is overrated in the fact that every time he puts something out there are people who slobber all over it like it's a fucking masterpiece but for my money when Em is at the top of his game there are few that can match him.

And there is nothing on No Ceilings better then some of the stuff Em had on Relapse. Wayne had a few good songs on there but nothing that was fucking mind blowing. I'll take Careful What You Wish For, Deja Vu, and Underground over any song on No Ceilings.

C'mon X Relapse was a good album, not great but definitely better then what the majority of people are putting out.

I was really unimpressed by it. Sounded exactly the same as the albums he's been making for the last decade now.

Encore was garbage for the most, but before that he put out the Eminem Show and that is right up there with the Slim Shady and Marshall Mathers LP's in terms of greatness.

Really? I thought the Eminem Show was mediocre at best.

He has put out one bad album, one good album, and three great ones. He is overrated in the fact that every time he puts something out there are people who slobber all over it like it's a fucking masterpiece but for my money when Em is at the top of his game there are few that can match him.

I like Em, I do, but he suffers from being the most overrated rapper on the planet, and honestly I think it may be because he's white as strange as that sounds. So many suburban white kids listen to Em and say "Holy shit this guy is white just like me and he can rap!" and then call him the greatest ever, and it's just not true.

Don't get me wrong, I like Eminem, but I had to respond to Freddy there. I enjoyed No Ceilings more than I did any Eminem album since the Marshall Mathers LP.

And there is nothing on No Ceilings better then some of the stuff Em had on Relapse. Wayne had a few good songs on there but nothing that was fucking mind blowing. I'll take Careful What You Wish For, Deja Vu, and Underground over any song on No Ceilings.

Okay and I prefer the production on No Ceilings to Eminem'sany day of the week. I love Dre to death but holy fuck he has turned into an awful producer. Em's flow is fine, his lyrics are good, but I just can't get into his music. I listen to his modern shit and all I can picture is the same fucking trash wiggers that I grew up with listening to Em and thinking they're the hottest shit on the planet for doing it. Unfair? Sure. But it doesn't change my opinion. I have a ton of respect for Em, but he's the most overrated rapper alive.

EDIT: Oh and I'm not trying to claim Wayne is some amazing lyricist or one of the best in the game right now, not at all, but I'm fucking sick and tired of everyone shitting on him like he's the worst rapper to ever live, when all it is is just people thinkking they're fucking cool for dissing what's popular. Why the fuck do you have to be Rakim on the mic to be able to enjoy a rapper? I like Wayne's flow when he's not fucked up or using autotune, and I like the way he can twist around words sometimes, and I like the way he utilizes certain beats. That's more than enough to entertain me.

I was really unimpressed by it. Sounded exactly the same as the albums he's been making for the last decade now.

I've been saying that for years as well.

Really? I thought the Eminem Show was mediocre at best.

And that's being generous
I like Em, I do, but he suffers from being the most overrated rapper on the planet, and honestly I think it may be because he's white as strange as that sounds. So many suburban white kids listen to Em and say "Holy shit this guy is white just like me and he can rap!" and then call him the greatest ever, and it's just not true.

When it comes to Eminem, I've been hit and miss. When he first came out I enjoyed his music, but after the years I started to dislike it, to liking it, not liking, you get the idea. Thing is, is Eminem is overrated big time because he's white, I hate to say it but he is. He'd be an average to above average rapper if he wasn't. I don't like playing the race card but that's part of his appeal.

Don't get me wrong, I like Eminem, but I had to respond to Freddy there. I enjoyed No Ceilings more than I did any Eminem album since the Marshall Mathers LP.

No comment on this.

Okay and I prefer the production on No Ceilings to Eminem'sany day of the week. I love Dre to death but holy fuck he has turned into an awful producer. Em's flow is fine, his lyrics are good, but I just can't get into his music. I listen to his modern shit and all I can picture is the same fucking trash wiggers that I grew up with listening to Em and thinking they're the hottest shit on the planet for doing it. Unfair? Sure. But it doesn't change my opinion. I have a ton of respect for Em, but he's the most overrated rapper alive.

Mannie Fresh > Dr. Dre at this point in time, that is if Mannie did the beats to No Ceilings. I have no idea to be honest if he did or not, nor do I really care. I just want the chance to say Mannie Fresh is sick when it comes to production and has always put out excellent beats. Dre has fallen off, his forte is the G Funk style, that shit he put on 2001 was outstanding but lately his beats have been lacking.

Em's got a good flow, his lyrics are good, but yeah I keep thinking about motherfuckers who think they're king shit because they listen to Eminem. I'm not saying Eminem is bad, I'm just saying he's overrated, by a lot of people. I can understand if he's your favorite rapper and all, just from my point of view he's overrated. I don't want to get into a massive bitching fest, I just got over that with X.

EDIT: Oh and I'm not trying to claim Wayne is some amazing lyricist or one of the best in the game right now, not at all, but I'm fucking sick and tired of everyone shitting on him like he's the worst rapper to ever live, when all it is is just people thinkking they're fucking cool for dissing what's popular. Why the fuck do you have to be Rakim on the mic to be able to enjoy a rapper? I like Wayne's flow when he's not fucked up or using autotune, and I like the way he can twist around words sometimes, and I like the way he utilizes certain beats. That's more than enough to entertain me.

That's fine but I'm going to pull the pot calling the kettle black card on this X. We've spoken about not liking Wayne and you're sick of it. Well I'm sick of you trashing Tech N9ne every time someone asks me about it or brings him up. So let's call this a truce, I'll quit trashing Lil Wayne, you quit trashing Tech N9ne and we'll get along. Just like you're entertained by Wayne, I'm entertained greatly by Tech N9ne's music. So calling us out for trashing Wayne then turning around and doing the same thing to Tech is a little hypocritical X I hate to say it. I try avoiding bringing him up anymore because I knew you would be around the corner ready to say he's shit. It's everyone else that's been bringing him up and asking me about him etc. So a truce, no Wayne bashing for no Tech N9ne bashing and we'll leave any thread or post on them alone. Deal?

Reactions: X
I've been saying that for years as well.

And that's being enerous

When it comes to Eminem, I've been hit and miss. When he first came out I enjoyed his music, but after the years I started to dislike it, to liking it, not liking, you get the idea. Thing is, is Eminem is overrated big time because he's white, I hate to say it but he is. He'd be an average to above average rapper if he wasn't. I don't like playing the race card but that's part of his appeal.

THANK YOU! Atleast I'm not the only one that sees this. Like I said, I have tons of respect for Em, he was one of the hottest MCs in the entire game in the 90s and he basically revolutionized the industry in terms of white guys being able to rap, but the music he's been making for the last decade is the same commercialized radio-friendly stuff that I see everyone always criticizing Wayne for.

Mannie Fresh > Dr. Dre at this point in time, that is if Mannie did the beats to No Ceilings. I have no idea to be honest if he did or not, nor do I really care. I just want the chance to say Mannie Fresh is sick when it comes to production and has always put out excellent beats. Dre has fallen off, his forte is the G Funk style, that shit he put on 2001 was outstanding but lately his beats have been lacking.

Yeah, agreed there too man, and I fucking love Dre to death, growing up he was without a doubt my favorite rapper (before I really got into hip hop and starting digging more technically skilled lyricists. I'd say 2001 was probably his last great production work, he's had a few really good beats here and there but mostly I just do not like the direction he's taken, and with him doing the overwhelming majority of Em's beats you can see why I've grown tired of him.

That's fine but I'm going to pull the pot calling the kettle black card on this X. We've spoken about not liking Wayne and you're sick of it. Well I'm sick of you trashing Tech N9ne every time someone asks me about it or brings him up. So let's call this a truce, I'll quit trashing Lil Wayne, you quit trashing Tech N9ne and we'll get along. Just like you're entertained by Wayne, I'm entertained greatly by Tech N9ne's music. So calling us out for trashing Wayne then turning around and doing the same thing to Tech is a little hypocritical X I hate to say it. I try avoiding bringing him up anymore because I knew you would be around the corner ready to say he's shit. It's everyone else that's been bringing him up and asking me about him etc. So a truce, no Wayne bashing for no Tech N9ne bashing and we'll leave any thread or post on them alone. Deal?

That's perfectly fine man, I'm sorry that I keep bashing Tech, it's just that I know SO MANY people who just will NOT stop playing his shit and talking about him all the time, I just get so sick and tired of hearing about him, and that's just with my friends and shit that's not even coming onto here and reading everyone gush about him.

I'm fine with that truce Ty. Look, I'm not saying Wayne is great, I'm not saying he's even one of the Top 10 in the game right now, but when he's on his game his shit can be REALLY enjoyable, especially for party and driving music. Does your car have a good system? Play Swag Surfin' off of No Ceilings on a good system when you're driving down the road and that shit bangs like nothing else. So, just so we have this straight, I do NOT think Wayne is this amazing artist or anything, but he is NOT even half as bad as some people on here make him out to be.

Truce my hip-hop brother. <3

Now to clear the air, here's a song that proves that modern hip-hop's state isn't too bad if you ask me (and yes, it's Cudi again, I know I'm on his jock)

When I listen to that song right there, I have so much hope for hip-hop dude. Hip hop is EVOLVING and it's about god damn time, and Cudi shows that to me with how much he incorporates electronic music and all different genres in with his hip hop to create a whole new kind of like hip electro hop or some shit.

I don't know who this Sharam guy is who made the beat for that song, but I want to find as much of his stuff as possible because that song is fucking amazing and that beat is one that just carries me away to another place. Fucking amazing song.

THANK YOU! Atleast I'm not the only one that sees this. Like I said, I have tons of respect for Em, he was one of the hottest MCs in the entire game in the 90s and he basically revolutionized the industry in terms of white guys being able to rap, but the music he's been making for the last decade is the same commercialized radio-friendly stuff that I see everyone always criticizing Wayne for.

Em's music has definitely taken a commercialized approach. It just doesn't fit him. I mean when he makes a serious personal song that he was so good at doing in the 90's he's fire on the mic and not the random comedy rhymes or the clubbing hits he seems to do constantly now. Em's classic shit though is off the hook.

Yeah, agreed there too man, and I fucking love Dre to death, growing up he was without a doubt my favorite rapper (before I really got into hip hop and starting digging more technically skilled lyricists. I'd say 2001 was probably his last great production work, he's had a few really good beats here and there but mostly I just do not like the direction he's taken, and with him doing the overwhelming majority of Em's beats you can see why I've grown tired of him.

Dre was definitely one of my favorites growing up as well man. 2001 was the album that really hook me as far as hip hop goes. I mean I was a big fan already before I heard 2001, but that album just opened my eyes up musically in a major way. That album is still in my Top 5 list of albums ever. That being said, it's almost as if Dre hit his peak at that point and has bee falling off since then. He's been making beats more for the commercial side of things rather than making a sick hip hop beat. That saddens me.
That's perfectly fine man, I'm sorry that I keep bashing Tech, it's just that I know SO MANY people who just will NOT stop playing his shit and talking about him all the time, I just get so sick and tired of hearing about him, and that's just with my friends and shit that's not even coming onto here and reading everyone gush about him.

Haha now you know why I can't stand Wayne then man. Everyone that loves hip hop around here, and I mean EVERYONE is always yapping about how great Wayne is, or "have you heard the latest and greatest Wayne song on the radio?" or even going to the bar is a chore anymore because I have to sit through at least 8 Lil Wayne songs every time I go there. And that's not even including every fucking horrible country song in the last 10 years. So yeah, to say I'm sick of hearing about or music from Lil Wayne is an understatement. So we're on the same page as far as hating an artist and can't seem to get away from hearing about him/her.

I'm fine with that truce Ty. Look, I'm not saying Wayne is great, I'm not saying he's even one of the Top 10 in the game right now, but when he's on his game his shit can be REALLY enjoyable, especially for party and driving music. Does your car have a good system? Play Swag Surfin' off of No Ceilings on a good system when you're driving down the road and that shit bangs like nothing else. So, just so we have this straight, I do NOT think Wayne is this amazing artist or anything, but he is NOT even half as bad as some people on here make him out to be.

Yes I got a solid system in my car, why wouldn't I? :p. No but being serious here I have plenty of music that rattles my car around. I got at least 60 Gigss of music with 98% of it being hip hop. I have a difficult time taking stuff off of my iPod to load it up with new music. I prefer Lil Jon's beats, he's got some ridiculously base heavy songs in his catalog.
Truce my hip-hop brother. <3

Indeed, truce homie <3

Now to clear the air, here's a song that proves that modern hip-hop's state isn't too bad if you ask me (and yes, it's Cudi again, I know I'm on his jock)

:lmao: I love how you admit you're riding Cudi's jock at least, but you picked a good jock to ride (that doesn't sound right....)

When I listen to that song right there, I have so much hope for hip-hop dude. Hip hop is EVOLVING and it's about god damn time, and Cudi shows that to me with how much he incorporates electronic music and all different genres in with his hip hop to create a whole new kind of like hip electro hop or some shit.

I don't know who this Sharam guy is who made the beat for that song, but I want to find as much of his stuff as possible because that song is fucking amazing and that beat is one that just carries me away to another place. Fucking amazing song.

Hip hop is evolving, but at the very least I'm hoping it's evolving more towards a Kid Cudi/Antipop Consortium/Lupe Fiasco sound rather than a Soulja Boy/*insert shit rapper B through M here*. I can live if hip hop went a Kid Cudi way, but if it keeps going the path that I tend to have to put up with idiots yapping at me about every day (not you guys, I love y'all), then I quit hip hop as far as anything new and will cling to my old 90's albums like a massive crutch.

Okay and I've listened to Eminem's last few albums and they've all been heaping piles of steaming shit Freddy, talk about overrated, Eminem is by far the single most overrated rapper in the game today, if not ever. If I hear one more person tell me the guy is the greatest rapper of all time or even in the top five, I'm going to die of a god damn laughter-attack.

Wayne's rock album was, in fact, awful terrible drivel. But we're talking about hip-hop, are we not? And No Ceilings had some good shit on it, much better than fucking anything I've heard out of Eminem in years.

Yeah, you must be high. To say No Ceilings was better then anything Eminem has ever released is a complete asinine statement. Eminem is easily one of the most talented, recognizable rappers today. He did fuck up with Encore and Relapse did have a few stinkers on it, he even admitted it. Relapse for the most part had some pretty sweet ass tracks. Eminem kills Weezy when it comes to rapping, his flows.. everything. He can out-freestyle Weezy by a mile. It's not even a fucking contest. Nah, it isn't this "Oh, he's white i'm white" thing. It's just pure talent. Relapse TOTALLY sucked, that's why it won a grammy. Off wikipedia: "According to Billboard, Eminem has two of his albums among the top five highest selling albums of the 2000s." and the rock album was not rock at all, it was rap disguised as shitty rock.

Yeah, you must be high. To say No Ceilings was better then anything Eminem has ever released is a complete asinine statement.

Well then it's a damn good thing that I didn't say that Freddy. What I said was No Ceilings was more enjoyable than any album Eminem has released in the last decade, or since Marshall Mathers LP. Which it was, for me. More enjoyable that is.

Eminem is easily one of the most talented, recognizable rappers today. He did fuck up with Encore and Relapse did have a few stinkers on it, he even admitted it. Relapse for the most part had some pretty sweet ass tracks.

I don't see the sweet ass tracks, feel free to post 'em, all I've heard is mediocre stuff out of Em for awhile now.

Eminem kills Weezy when it comes to rapping, his flows.. everything. He can out-freestyle Weezy by a mile. It's not even a fucking contest. Nah, it isn't this "Oh, he's white i'm white" thing. It's just pure talent.

Did you read my posts Freddy? I never said that Weezy was a better rapper than Eminem.

Relapse TOTALLY sucked, that's why it won a grammy. Off wikipedia: "According to Billboard, Eminem has two of his albums among the top five highest selling albums of the 2000s." and the rock album was not rock at all, it was rap disguised as shitty rock.

Dude, Billboard and Wikipedia? Could you pick two more generic places? You can find critical praise for Insane Clown Posse o Wiki and Billboard, pardon me if I don't take it very serious. There's positive reviews for fucking everything on Earth.

Oh, and record sales means absolutely NOTHING to me. Record sales have jackshit to do with the quality of the music and everything to do with marketing. If we're really going to talk about record sales Wayne is probably the top record-selling artist in all of music today. Does that mean he's the best? Fuck no. So record sales mean nothing to me.

Just a few things I'd like to touch on. I really don't know how anyone can think that The Eminem Show is average. Not really a bad song on the whole album. Till I Collapse, Sing for the Moment, Soldier, Say Goodbye Hollywood, White America, When the Music Stops. Everything on the album is great. Encore was shit and I can see why you wouldn't like that and although I thought Relapse was good, again I could see you maybe thinking it was just average. But the Eminem Show was at least a 4 star album and I will stand by that.

As far as Dre goes I agree. I haven't been impressed by his production in a long time. I'm hoping he's just saving all his good shit for Detox but I guess we'll see.

One more thing about Lil Wayne. I've never said that he was shit and had no talent. I just think overall the stuff he's putting out now isn't that great. Does he have some good stuff? Sure, but overall he hasn't been an elite rapper since 2005 and although the talent is still there he hasn't been showing it off lately.

I don't see the sweet ass tracks, feel free to post 'em, all I've heard is mediocre stuff out of Em for awhile now.

[Youtube]Qzqn0ZOljEM[/Youtube]

True X. I may have missed a few points on your posts. But yeah, did you listen to Relapse? I mean, start to finish? What about the re-release? Relapse: Refill? There was some shit on there that was pretty hard. Eminem's freestyles still are the shit. Have you heard the Microphone freestyle? Slaughterhouse beat. He fucking KILLED the mic.

Example #1: [youtube]EB5KVaplfPM[/youtube]

Example #2 off Refill: [youtube]xzaN4b0wn2A[/youtube]

I like Lil Wayne until The Carter 3 came out. I listened to the songs on that album and immediately stopped listening to rap altogether. Just stopped. Went to a Slipknot concert afterwards. Afterwards, on the drive home, I heard 'My Life' by The Game, and i fully gave up on Rap. I still bought L.A.X, but that's the last rap album I bought. It was pretty good, but even though I can't stand any of today's rap, I still like to hear the older stuff. Rap was dead in 2006. Crank Dat came out and killed rap. The Carter 3 had sex with rap's dead body. You all know how I feel about Lil Wayne, or at least you can assume he makes me sick. And to say his flow is unpredictable, what are you smoking. He's a short-sleeved magician. His songs all sound the same. He mumbles, talks about his money, laughs, sounds like he has severe mental issues, and by that time I've broken many items in my house after hearing 15 seconds of him.

Mainstream sucks. I can't understand why people could listen to it. I'm not that educated in rap and don't really like alot of it that well, but I can tell you that mainstream is horrible.

From Kanye, I liked Diamonds From The Siera Leone and to some extent Gold Digger, but not much else. Besides, I hate his cocky little attitude. Fish sticks portrayed that very well. And, uh, yeah. I just referenced South Park. Gotta problem?

Drake sucks, I'm sorry but he isn't as good as you make him out to be JKO. I can write lyrics just as good as the ones you referenced earlier. He is just a crap rapper that came off of a crap show.

Kid Cudi? I listened to him. His lyrics had some nice meaning, poetic-type even. But something about his flow, his beat, I can't really pinpoint it exactly. But it just didn't come off as sounding that good. It didn't sound any better than most of the other mainstream music out there at the moment. Maybe I'm missing something or he just isn't my style, but I just don't get the vibe.

Eminem? He hasn't got that much talent vocally to me. His lyrics, and I've seen many of them, pop out to me as something I like, but other than that he just doesn't appeal much to me.

One I haven't seen mentioned, Flo Rida. Sucks. Completely. Low and Right Round are two of the most teenage catered, talentless, most unmeanigful and un-poetic songs I've heard in the last few years. The mans voice isn't that great either and the only thing he makes my list for is warming up for my high school basketball games, just because I like the beat of basically all rap when warming up.

Soulja Boy? Wow, speaking of un-poetic, meaningless, horrible songs? Kiss Me Thru The Phone? Crank Dat Soulja Boy? Ring any bells? Unfortunatly, for me they do. Right up there next to Lil' Wayne with the worst rap I have ever had the displeasure of laying my ears on. This is the epitome of talentless. His beats suck. His voice is about on par with mine. And I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. Trust me on that. He has no creative writing ability in him whatsoever. He uses the same old tired lyrics that he and his millions of adoring teenage mainstream fans can't seem to realize suck. Horrible.

Lil' Wayne? Like I said, right up there with Soulja Boy. His flow? What flow? His flow sucks. His voice is unique, but not nessicarily in a good way. I'm sorry, but he sucks. His writing is some of the most disgraceful lyrics I've ever heard in my life. A Milli is a perfect example.

Lil Wayne-A Milli
Yeah
See..
They say I'm rapping like Big, Jay and Tupac, Andre 3000 where is Erykah Baduh at? Who that?
Who that say they're gonna beat Lil' Wayne
My name ain't BIC, but I keep that flame man
Who that one that do that boy?
You all knew that
True that swallow
And I be the shit now you got loose bowels
I don't owe you like two vowels
But I would like for you to pay me by the hour
Ha ha, and I'd rather be pushing flowers
Than to be in the penn sharing showers
Ha, Tony told us this world was ours
and the Bible told us every girl was sour
don't play in the garden and don't smell her flower
call me Mr. Carter or Mr. Lawn Mower
boy I got so many bitches like I'm Michael Lowry
even Gwen Stefani said she couldn't doubt me
Motherfucker I say life ain't shit without me
Chrome lips poking out the coup look like it's pouting
I do what I do and you do what you can do about it Bitch
I could turn a crack rock into a mountain, dare me
Don't you compare me 'cause there ain't nobody near me
They don't see me, but they hear me
They don't feel me, but they fear me.
I'm illie
C3
3P
Hahahaha

and this nice other verse from Wayne in that wonderful song.

A millionaire, I'm a young money millionaire
Tougher than Nigerian hair
My criteria compared to your career this isn't fair
I'm a venereal disease like a menstrual bleed
Through the pencil and leak on the sheet of the tablet
In my mind 'cause I don't write shit, 'cause I ain't got time
'cause my seconds, minutes, hours go to the all mighty dollar
And the all mighty power of that ch, ch, ch, ch chopper
Sister, brother, son, daughter, father mothafuck a coppa
Got the Maserati dancin' on the bridge pussy poppin'
Tell the coppers hahahaha you can't catch 'em, you can't stop 'em
I go by them goon rules if you can't beat 'em then you pop 'em
You can't man 'em then you mop 'em,
You can't stand 'em then you drop 'em,
You pop 'em 'cause we pop 'em like Orville Redenbacher!!
Motherfucker I'm ill

I'd post more, but I feel that's enough. Tell me if you want more examples of that horrendous writing. I can find it, unfortunatly. I can't respect an artist of any genre if they can't write or don't have a good voice. I also like poetic and meaningful music and, in rap, good beats. Lil' Wayne doesn't provide much of either, so, I'm sorry.

So in basic, mainstream sucks. I'm sorry. This is how it is. Feel free to disagree. Maybe you can prove me wrong.

Simple Fact the best best Rap&Hip-Hop song do not get played on the radio so don't listen.Half of the best songs have no Music so dont just watch TV.Hip-Hop is at the best it it been in around 4-5 years so i not complaining.

First off the Artist that are actually good-Great
Drake,Lil Wayne(depends on the song),Jay-Z(hate the guy but he's good),Nicki Minja,Tyga,Swizz Beats,B.O.B,J.Cole,T-Pain( a long stretch),Rock City,Ludacris,Tey Songz,Fabulous,Kid Cudi, Jeremih,Kanye West,Young Jezzy,Kay L,Gucci(another strecth)Mims,Mullage,Travis McCoy, Young Cash, New Boyz, The Dream, & T.I

Now for people that were good but are getting worse

T-Pain,Lil Wanye,Juelz,Eminem,Snopp Dogg,TimberLand Rick Ross.They all were good but keep getting worse IMO.

Now for people that suck.
Short Dawg,T-Streest,Wale,Manio,Rosco Dash,Waka Flocka Flame,Soulja Boi, and ASher Roth

And by the way Drake is Beast plain and simple.

One I haven't seen mentioned, Flo Rida. Sucks. Completely. Low and Right Round are two of the most teenage catered, talentless, most unmeanigful and un-poetic songs I've heard in the last few years. The mans voice isn't that great either and the only thing he makes my list for is warming up for my high school basketball games, just because I like the beat of basically all rap when warming up.

Actually I think Flo Rida actually has a decent flow, but his biggest problem is exactly what you pointed out, the content in his music is horrendous and is set more for the mainstream type. At least that's what 90% of us have heard from Flo Rida. I guess my homie told me the other day that if you ever listened to his shit before he got big, he used to bust out some gangsta flows that were pretty good. I'm not a fan of Flo Rida by any means, but if he switched up his style and material but kept the flow, he'd be a solid rapper to be honest.

Simple Fact the best best Rap&Hip-Hop song do not get played on the radio so don't listen.Half of the best songs have no Music so dont just watch TV.Hip-Hop is at the best it it been in around 4-5 years so i not complaining.

Alright before I look over your list here, let me just say yes the best Hip hop is not on the radio. Everyone knows that, because the radio plays the same 6 songs over and over again so that leaves a large portion of hip hop not getting air play.

First off the Artist that are actually good-Great
Drake,Lil Wayne(depends on the song),Jay-Z(hate the guy but he's good),Nicki Minja,Tyga,Swizz Beats,B.O.B,J.Cole,T-Pain( a long stretch),Rock City,Ludacris,Tey Songz,Fabulous,Kid Cudi, Jeremih,Kanye West,Young Jezzy,Kay L,Gucci(another strecth)Mims,Mullage,Travis McCoy, Young Cash, New Boyz, The Dream, & T.I

So I'm praying that you're talking about artists that are on the radio/TV that are actually decent, because if this who you truly think is great, than in your first paragraph your statement is hypocritical. All these artists are on TV/radio all the damn time.

I've spoken my peace on Drake, Wayne, and Jay-Z so I'm not going there again.

Nicki Minaj- I just found out about today and she's actually a solid female rapper.

Tyga -He has never been good

Swizz Beats -a good producer but lately his beats have been lacking.

B.O.B.J.Cole - I'm not even sure who the fuck that is.

T-Pain- He's good for sung hooks in autotune, that's about it there.

Rock City - ahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Luda - He's been tight since he arrived on the scene.

Trey Songz - He's overrated

Fabolous - was good when he came out and has a great flow, but his music now just sucks.

Cudi is solid.

Jeremin - seriously who the fuck are some of these people?

West I've made my opinion known. Jeezy is tight, Kay L, Travis McCoy, Young Cash, Mullage....again who the fuck are they? Gucci is garbage, New Boyz is absolute shit, T.I. ain't bad but his old school stuff when he was originally T.I.P. was way better. The Dream is alright I suppose.

Now for people that were good but are getting worse

T-Pain,Lil Wanye,Juelz,Eminem,Snopp Dogg,TimberLand Rick Ross.They all were good but keep getting worse IMO.

T-Pain, Wayne I've gone over, Juelz had one good song in The Whistle Song, Eminem has been going down hill for a number of years, Snoop just doesn't give a fuck and follows any popular trend to stay relevant, Timbaland back in the day was a sick producer, not so good on the mic, Rick Ross has been shit since day one.

Now for people that suck.
Short Dawg,T-Streest,Wale,Manio,Rosco Dash,Waka Flocka Flame,Soulja Boi, and ASher Roth

Wale is kind of overrated since I checked his shit out, I don't like his flow, Short Dawg, Manio, T-Streest I've never heard of, Rosco Dash, Waka Flocka Flame, Soulja Boy, and Asher Roth are complete and utter waste of musical space. I didn't know that rhyming in a completely disjointed way that doesn't go with the rhythm whatsoever was considered good nowadays.

Eh no, he's not. Even my fiancee's oldest daughter who listens to mainstream hip hop and is 13 years old says Drake sucks. Then again I've shown her what GOOD hip hop is so she may be slightly biased and actually, you know, knowledgeable about hip hop.

No Drake is not a beast. I've said it before and I'll say it again he isn't the worst rapper in the world but he is far from being a good rapper. He's generic and has simplistic rhymes. Nothing about his flow stands out at all. Shit I'm a better rapper then Drake.

I very rarely listen to rap these days because the majority of it is shit, admittedly i'm talking about mainstream, literally all of them are pretty much dance tunes, yeah they're good when you're out but I don't want to listen to that stuff at home.

If I listen to rap it generally is older stuff like N.W.A and Run DMC, the only 'modern' rapper I listen to is Akira The Don

[YOUTUBE]lAJzP_jjBro[/YOUTUBE]

This is a great song and they're is no music, it just goes to show how well this guys lyrics are

[YOUTUBE]V3Yc81Jj_Vs[/YOUTUBE]

Here's another one, everyone of this guys songs has a meaning behind it, it has a good tune and the guy is a decent rapper

Of course its not like it once was with Nas, Jay-Z, Biggie Smalls, 2Pac, Big L, etc in the rap scene, but I still like where Hip-Hop is today the likes of Wiz Khalifa, Drake, Joe Budden, Jay Electronica, etc are really putting life back into it.

^word im glad to see wiz's name popping up everywhere now.

there are alot of artists coming out right now that i think will benefit from better management and more solid promotional techniques but on an underground level i think hiphop can make a resurgence. commercially it isnt due for awhile. we may see a few decent artists sign deals but i dont see that happening in a meaningful way for the next 5 years or so.

That shit is good Kid A. Keep doing your thing.

I'm an alleater when it comes to hiphop. I really enjoy the oldschool-rappers, and there are alot of good rappers today, if u just find them.

If you're into battling, you should check out grindtime on youtube. Some dope rappers there, and most of them make music aswell, even though they are a few that just battles.

Alright, felt I had to weigh in here, the mainstream isn't as bad as a lot of you are making it out to be. I'm gonna prefix this by saying I'm not comparing these guys like the like of BIG and Tupac (who are in turn themselves overrated due to their martyr status, but still AWESOME).

Lil Wayne - seriously, I checked out a fair amount of his stuff lately, I live in the UK so he isn't such a massive star here but hes's still mainstream and I'd heard enough hype so I decided to check out his stuff for myself. A lot of his stuff is mediocre, but he has a fair amount of awesome stuff too. Check out "I Feel Like Dying", it's not a song where his flow is anything special but it's pretty trippy and haunting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuyEgvCVYd8

This is a freestyle, I'm not all into the specific technical parts of someone's delivery but I thought this was pretty impressive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxGkN1YvbuM

And ripping on someone for not having the best flow or whatever is stupid anyway. It's the equivalent of ripping on someone like Hendrix for not being as technically accomplished as someone like Joe Satriani on guitar - sometimes having charisma and character, especially in a genre overwhelmingly focused on the individual performer is more important. Instead of sneering at people who like artists like Lil Wayne why not just accept that there's something you're missing and move on and not let it bother you? No doubt some of his success comes from screaming teenage girls, but try and tell me the same doesn't apply to someone like Eminem?

Reactions: X
The reason why Hip hop is losing its momentum is because there is no creativity in the industry these days.

Look at guys like Method Man, Redman, Royce Da 5,9, Murse, Talib Kwali... the list goes on

These Mc's dont talk about Rims, Tims and jewelry, they speak about their own experiences, about their own lives and most of all work on making good music.

Most Mc's this day and age don't speak the truth they end up just attempting to work around the label and produce something that appeals to the masses.

Gone are the days of lirycists and True MC's we are now consumed by idiots like Soldier Boy who just want to make a catchy tune.

But its not just hip hop, the whole music industry has become oversaturated with untalented nut jobs and one hit wonders that people with actual talent are not able to make a living in the industry anymore.

Since the digital age of Music sales have dropped tremendously, we are told that this is because of people illegally downloading tracks, I believe its more due to greedy labels spending more and more money on music videos and tracks that can create a buzz around a mediocre artist who in the end ends up doing less then the expected sales.

the only way to save the industry is for labels to make money from touring also, to present a full package in regards to talent, the live nation model is doing wonders for artists making money from album sales and a percentage of touring, this method helps not only the label in creating new talent but also maintains a buzz around the artist and their next album.

with the sucess of artists such as Jay Z labels need to make the change before its too late, Im already hearing whispers of Def Jam being sold off or closed down by the universal music group, lets just hope Hip Hop can be saved!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back