Is the South killing hip hop & rap?

DaBadGuy

Occasional Pre-Show
That's pretty much the answer everyone says whenever the question "who killed rap" comes up. Now I'm from the south in Houston Texas and I'll admit we do have our bad rappers here and there and alot of the rappers from the south usually make dance songs which I and apparently not to many true rap rap fans are to fund off. But at the same time we have had our good rappers around like Outkast, Goodie Mob, Scarface, Geto Boyz, etc... And we have our new southern rappers who are o.k. like Ludacris, T.I. (I like him sometimes), Lil Wayne (some may laugh at me for saying him but I'm a fan of his older music and he's doing his thing right now.) And I can talk about the rappers from Texas, its too many to name but the ones i'll say is Z-Ro, Trae, Chamillionaire, K-Rino etc... And theirs a couple of other good southern rappers like T-Rock and Lil Wyte but unfortunetly their underground. But even with this rappers people still blame the south for killing rap. Like I said I agree we do have our terrible rappers here and their but even the East and West Coast have had their bad rappers. So does anyone else agree or disagree, don't really care lets just have a debet do you think the south is killing hip hop & rap.

I have never heard anyone say this about the south. Like you said every part of the US; East coast, west coast, dirty south, mid west, they all have their good rappers and their shitty rappers. No one kind of rap is responsible for anything negative in hip hop. I don't know where you got this from but I've never heard one person say "the south is killing rap."

To put it simply, no, I don't think the South is to blame for Hip-hop's current state. As you said, every region has their fair share not-so-talented emcees, so one area of the country can't be to blame. I'd say that the problem is something else entirely: the current state of the entire music industry. Piracy is at an all-time high, and album sales have suffered greatly as a result. This has led artists to look for another way to make a quick buck: ringtones. Yes, unfortunately, many artists, specifically those in Hip-hop, have basically shunned the idea of the album in order to focus on commercially viable singles, and those looking to "make it big" have followed suit. I can't tell you how sick I am of dance tracks, but seeing how much a few of my friends are basically in love with them tells me that they'll probably be around for a while. So, no, do not blame this obvious problem on the South. Blame it on the consumers.

I have never heard anyone say this about the south. Like you said every part of the US; East coast, west coast, dirty south, mid west, they all have their good rappers and their shitty rappers. No one kind of rap is responsible for anything negative in hip hop. I don't know where you got this from but I've never heard one person say "the south is killing rap."

Will no rappers really just come out and say it of course but I'm talking about people in general. Some people from the south even feel the same that the reason rap, I'm not going to say sucks but changed because they feel that southern rap it the cause of it. It's mainly main stream they talk about and like I said while I do agree with people who dislike rappers like Soulja Boy I wouldn't exactly say were the problem. And theirs a interview were Havoc for Mobb Deep disses the south.

[YOUTUBE]aKnHy_F_AaQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]kF4B4fqOPy4[/YOUTUBE]

And I heard a couple of years ago that 50 cent said that the south is killing rap but that could be a rumor. But then again with 50 you'll never really know, plus he has a beef with Khalid and Rick Ross so he might have said it.

To put it simply, no, I don't think the South is to blame for Hip-hop's current state. As you said, every region has their fair share not-so-talented emcees, so one area of the country can't be to blame. I'd say that the problem is something else entirely: the current state of the entire music industry. Piracy is at an all-time high, and album sales have suffered greatly as a result. This has led artists to look for another way to make a quick buck: ringtones. Yes, unfortunately, many artists, specifically those in Hip-hop, have basically shunned the idea of the album in order to focus on commercially viable singles, and those looking to "make it big" have followed suit. I can't tell you how sick I am of dance tracks, but seeing how much a few of my friends are basically in love with them tells me that they'll probably be around for a while. So, no, do not blame this obvious problem on the South. Blame it on the consumers.

I have been saying the samething for awhile myself, that if we are to blame someone its the consumers. I used to be one of the one's who would blame ring tone rappers for ruining the rap game then I thought about it. Their only doing it to make money and their albums wouldn't sell if it wasn't for the people who buy them. And I agree with you again on saying that this is just the current state of rap, rap changes and alot of people seem to not like change escpecially in rap and hip hop. But I realized thats they way it goes and if you can't deal with stop listening to today's rap and listen to some old school rap like me or change your style up and give it a chance.

You can't blame the south for the state of hip-hop. They got good rappers down there....just a lot more shitty rappers then good ones.

Nah not at all, simply put. The South has some outstanding rappers such as UGK, Luda, Chamillionaire, Z-Ro, Trae the Truth, SPM, and I could go on. They're just like any other region, they got their quality rappers, and they got their shit ones. The South has always been around, look at the Geto Boys from back in the day. They were big before the South became "big". Same goes with UGK. It's always had a quality underground scene especially around Houston.

No one region is killing hip hop, it's just the mainstream media and record companies that are pushing club hits rather than good hip hop is what's hurting it. And honestly I don't see that as hurting hip hop it's just moving it more towards the underground and independent scene. Hip hop isn't dead, it's not dying, and nothing's killing it. We just got pop overloading what's mainstream right now and that's what we're hearing on the radio on TV. Ain't nothin to worry about, it's thriving on the mainstream because of the pop hits, and it's thriving on the underground where your hardcore fans are enjoying a boom in new fresh independent artists and a revival in older artists.

The South isn't even as popular as it was a few years ago. Houston's success has started to taper off significantly, as is the ATL scene. Miami is doing well, but not even close to the popularity the South enjoyed at one time. Hell we had No Limit and Cash Money (when BG and Juvenile were still there) down in Louisiana. No Limit shut down and Cash Money is just Baby cashing in on Lil Wayne's success. A lot of East Coast rappers are taking center stage, as well as the Midwest with the likes of Kid Cudi and Lupe Fiasco.

ok first of, hell no the south is not killing hip hop. because when you think about it the people who r truelly owning the game are from florida and texas. its not really even hip hop dieing. the game is just changing. i dont like it very much but its a fact. now you r gna see hot spitters mixed with pop and its ugly as fuck. i aint trying to bash on soulja boy, but have him go toe to toe with the game right now and lets put money on who will win. but on different note soulja is making more money then all these cats and hes not even making any mix tapes. i mean fuck dude, weezy is locked up and hes droppin some of the hottest shit iv ever heard right now. then u got soulja boy and justin bieber(ya hes hip hop) selling out arenas world wide with bull shit. no affense to bieber. the kids talented. i was mainly talkin about mr pretty boy swag lol. so ya. its just the game changing

I think that there are some horrible rappers from the south, like Lil Wayne and Soulja Boy, I think rap as a whole is pretty bad now. You've got stuff like the New Boyz and Justin Bieber who are killing rap and hip hop. Even Eminem is putting out bad music. You've still got good rappers like Lupe Fiasco, Game, Ludacris, and Jay Z who are being played on the radio, but you hear more shit like Kesha and Flo Rida and that Airplanes shit by B.o.B. I think that rap is being killed by the mainstream radio, but music as a whole at the moment is in a bad state.

ok first of, hell no the south is not killing hip hop. because when you think about it the people who r truelly owning the game are from florida and texas.

Uuuuuh, no.

mean fuck dude, weezy is locked up and hes droppin some of the hottest shit iv ever heard right now.

You don't listen to much rap, huh?

then u got soulja boy and justin bieber(ya hes hip hop) selling out arenas world wide with bull shit. no affense to bieber. the kids talented. i was mainly talkin about mr pretty boy swag lol. so ya. its just the game changing

Justin Bieber? That's not a fucking rap artist. I can at least sort of understand calling Solja Boy a rap artist (even though he's a pop artist) but Justin Bieber?

I think that there are some horrible rappers from the south, like Lil Wayne and Soulja Boy, I think rap as a whole is pretty bad now. You've got stuff like the New Boyz and Justin Bieber who are killing rap and hip hop. Even Eminem is putting out bad music. You've still got good rappers like Lupe Fiasco, Game, Ludacris, and Jay Z who are being played on the radio, but you hear more shit like Kesha and Flo Rida and that Airplanes shit by B.o.B. I think that rap is being killed by the mainstream radio, but music as a whole at the moment is in a bad state.

Again with the Beiber talk. Justin Bieber is not a rap artist. At all. And B.o.B is the shit. Anyways, of course the South isn't killing hip hop! There are plenty of fantastic southern rappers, 8 Ball and MJG, UGK, Ludacris, Z-Ro, old Three 6 Mafia was fucking great, Big Mello (RIP) I could go on for days. The truth (and Ty basically already said this) is that the record companys, and the mainstream media are the ones who are causing the declince in rap.

For some odd reason, the majority of people want to hear club songs, and silly dance/pop/rap instead of true hip hop. You can still find great new rap albums, you just have to look a little harder.

Hip Hop's decline is due to greedy record labels putting their artists out every year in order to boost record sales, it doesn't work and is not only ruining hip hop but other genres aswell.

Hip Hop's decline can be very well placed on the fact that music in general has become too oversaturated, you look at great act's like Jay Z, B.o.B and Eminem putting out great works of art only to have acts like soldier boy putting out party anthems, yeah its great but it's not working.

Music in general needs a new direction and artist's need to be signed who can actually help the industry and produce music that fans can appreciate, not guys who can barely sing coming out with albems of garbage talking about their rims, tims and how many hoe's theyve slept with.

that's why i can't stand gangster rap anymore, anyone minus I cube is not putting out music that will appeal to the masses, they put out music that thugs can bang to which is not your target audience, why do you think that more people are buying recovery than relapse? because recovery is based more on flow and emotion than relapse which is mostly based on poo poo jokes and slim shady refernces.

There's no quick fix, but artists need to take responsibility and stop putting out album after album with the same old garbage because their use will quickly wane, look at 50 cent for example, get rich or die trying went diamond, before i self destruct is barely going gold.

Thats what happens when you attempt to do the same thing over and over again people get bored.

Justin Bieber? That's not a fucking rap artist. I can at least sort of understand calling Solja Boy a rap artist (even though he's a pop artist) but Justin Bieber?

ok last time i checked the topic was HIP HOP. not rap. they r 2 different things. justin bieber is hip hop. u got it twisted. u gotta read the shit before u post. i dont blame u for comin at me like tht but it said hip hop. hes signed to def jam island. USHERS LABLE. for real bud. most of the people u need are just rappers that spit

ok last time i checked the topic was HIP HOP. not rap. they r 2 different things. justin bieber is hip hop. u got it twisted. u gotta read the shit before u post. i dont blame u for comin at me like tht but it said hip hop. hes signed to def jam island. USHERS LABLE. for real bud. most of the people u need are just rappers that spit

What the fuck are you talking about? First of all Hip Hop is a sub culture that consists of Grafitti, DJing, rapping, breaking and beatboxing. Rap is definitely hip hop in fact the two terms are interchangeable in this day and age. Second of all, Bieber is not fucking hip hop. He's pop. Where by any means does he do anything remotely hip hop other than having rappers on tracks with him? Finally, would y'all please learn how to fucking type and spell correctly? Reading your posts are horrendous.

The label that Bieber is signed to doesn't mean jack shit to be perfectly honest. In fact Island Def Jam is just a merger between Universal's two child companies into one brand. The Island half handles acts such as Bon Jovi and The Killers. Let me repeat that for you so you can get it. Island Def Jam has two subdivisions, one for pop/rock, the other for hip hop/R&B. So let's see, Bieber is on the pop/rock half of the merger, so your argument is moot by a long shot.

Let's just put it like this. Mainstream hip hop is going pop or otherwise releasing club hits with some notable exceptions. Underground hip hop is thriving like a motherfucker and will continue to for quite awhile. The record labels in charge won't bring up the underground artists because they don't fit their profile of a rapper in today's media. They'd much rather keep the same type of idiot rappers that have no contribution to the music industry other than to release the next hot joint to be played on the dance floor. The intellectual and conscience hip hop is going to the underground, and I'm perfectly fine with it.

Nah not at all, simply put. The South has some outstanding rappers such as UGK, Luda, Chamillionaire, Z-Ro, Trae the Truth, SPM, and I could go on. They're just like any other region, they got their quality rappers, and they got their shit ones. The South has always been around, look at the Geto Boys from back in the day. They were big before the South became "big". Same goes with UGK. It's always had a quality underground scene especially around Houston.

I agree thats what i've been saying that every region has their good and bad rappers. And I'm surprised some people actually know who Z-Ro is you ever heard of J-Dawg or any other local Texas rappers.

No one region is killing hip hop, it's just the mainstream media and record companies that are pushing club hits rather than good hip hop is what's hurting it. And honestly I don't see that as hurting hip hop it's just moving it more towards the underground and independent scene. Hip hop isn't dead, it's not dying, and nothing's killing it. We just got pop overloading what's mainstream right now and that's what we're hearing on the radio on TV. Ain't nothin to worry about, it's thriving on the mainstream because of the pop hits, and it's thriving on the underground where your hardcore fans are enjoying a boom in new fresh independent artists and a revival in older artists.

I'm not worried about rap or hip hop dieing at all it just evolved. I'm not to found of the mainstream music that comes out of the south myself but I'm not going to complain over it. For now thats how rap and hip hop will be and it will change maybe for the better maybe for the worst one day.

The South isn't even as popular as it was a few years ago. Houston's success has started to taper off significantly, as is the ATL scene. Miami is doing well, but not even close to the popularity the South enjoyed at one time. Hell we had No Limit and Cash Money (when BG and Juvenile were still there) down in Louisiana. No Limit shut down and Cash Money is just Baby cashing in on Lil Wayne's success. A lot of East Coast rappers are taking center stage, as well as the Midwest with the likes of Kid Cudi and Lupe Fiasco.

ATL has more success than us as of now mainly because their the one's who are producing all this club music, but I'm not hating they doing their thing I'm proud of them. Miami would probably be right behind us and Louisiana I actually have to say is running the South for pretty much the reason you said, Cash Money and Lil Wayne. East Coast still has alot of good rappers their just not getting their shine on right now. And I like the things the Mid West bring to the table I think their a very underrated region.

I have been saying the samething for awhile myself, that if we are to blame someone its the consumers. I used to be one of the one's who would blame ring tone rappers for ruining the rap game then I thought about it. Their only doing it to make money and their albums wouldn't sell if it wasn't for the people who buy them. And I agree with you again on saying that this is just the current state of rap, rap changes and alot of people seem to not like change escpecially in rap and hip hop. But I realized thats they way it goes and if you can't deal with stop listening to today's rap and listen to some old school rap like me or change your style up and give it a chance.

THIS is the point I try to make to everyone, and they dont listen. So Im glad that someone else said it. No artists, or coast, can kill hip hop. Its too big, its a culture...BUT....The consumers can kill and ruin any and everything.

The fact that souljah boy went platinum does NOT mean he doesnt suck, it means that the consumers are buying into alot of bullshit music.

Look at some of the highest selling downloaded songs. Its littered with Gaga, Katy perry, Souljah boy, Black eye peas, and Kesha...Some of the WORST artists in the history of history. But if everyone bought more artists that are under appreciated but infinitely more talented, that the top 10 lists of everything music wouldnt be as abysmal as they are.

They fact that a talentless hack of an artist like Kesha can have lyrics like ''Before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of jack'' is in the top 10 of anything good is sickening. And that goes for Hip hop.

If people think Mf Doom is over Lil Wayne, stop downloading Doom, and buy his albums. Then, the sales will show how good he is in comparison, and Mf Doom will get the credit etc.

Sales are not meant to show talent, not purely, but they show what the consumer wants and BUYS, and it will remain that way. In the 90s we saw Biggie and Pac ruling the charts. Why was that? Because people BOUGHT they're albums. No matter how good they were, if no one buys they're stuff, no one pays attention in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back