The Shield Finally Lose

Blade

"Original Blade"
Last night on Smackdown, Daniel Bryan made Seth Rollins tap-out during a six-man tag match between the Shield and Kane, Bryan and Orton. As Lillian Garcia announced at the end of the match, it was the first time the Shield had lost a 6 man match.

Personally, I thought it was booked to perfection. A team or individual going on a winning streak is great for a while, but then it becomes difficult when the idea of ending the streak comes up, since it could ruin that team or individual if it's booked badly or if they lose to the wrong person.

The Shield lost at exactly the right time in my opinion. They racked up enough wins so that their first loss was still a huge deal, but their winning streak wasn't long enough to define them. They're still hugely dangerous and they're still on the rise. There's no sense of "What now?" like there was when Goldberg finally lost.

Back a few months ago, if you had told me that Daniel Bryan would be the one to finally defeat the Shield, I likely wouldn't have believed you and thought it would be wasting The Shield's first loss. But looking at what Bryan is doing now and what the next few months have in store for him, this was a really good idea. Bryan needs some major wins under his belt if he's to been seen as a real challenge for Cena, and being the guy who stopped the Shield was a good start. And, while many of us know that the Shield won't lose at Payback, I think it did a good job of making the casual audience think Orton and Bryan can take the tag titles.

So what do you guys think? Was now the right time to have the Shield lose or did WWE wait too long or not wait long enough?

I'm not convinced about them losing especially in this manner. While I do think it had to happen I just feel the opponents and the actual match it self didn't work. Moreover, I think the timing was wrong. They could of waited a month or two at Summerslam or indeed Survivor Series. They had a undefeated streak which was working well and ending it should have been a big occasion at a big PPV.

I thought their first loss would be to either a) A super team containing someone like HHH, Taker or the Rock. B) A bullshit loss to a lesser opponent where they are perhaps screwed. Maybe losing to the 3MB after a distraction or interference. Personally, I don't see the point in the Shield losing to Orton, Bryan and Kane when I'm almost certain they will all lose at Packback.

It's sort of strange that Seth Rollins is the only one who ever gets pinned or forced to submit. They've clearly made him out to be the weakest link in the group and I think that's a mistake.

I think it was pretty nice timing for an actual loss. I think it was even better that DBD was the one to beat them. Him getting major wins will really help his storyline along and as you said, make him a bigger threat for Cena. As we have seen with this "weakest link" storyline, this win will also boost DBD's confidence and make him more aggressive in the ring which is something I think has been needed for a while.

As for the Shield, considering this is the second time that DBD made Seth Rollins tap out I think that sometime in the futrue they'll make it so it'll be a Punk-kicking-Barrett-out-of-Nexus type situation. It'll start with the Shieldk bringing some guy in from NXT or even maybe a former Nexus/Corre member (maybe Zeke or Gabriel. Hell, maybe even that Mason guy who disappeared) keep him in for a while then boot out Rollins as soon as this Shield vs Team Hell No/RKO storyline is over. That would start up a new storyline and would keep the shield working for a while. However I hope they would soon get Rollins back into the Shield. Else it'll be Nexus/Corre all over again.

I thought their first loss would be to either a) A super team containing someone like HHH, Taker or the Rock. B) A bullshit loss to a lesser opponent where they are perhaps screwed. Maybe losing to the 3MB after a distraction or interference. Personally, I don't see the point in the Shield losing to Orton, Bryan and Kane when I'm almost certain they will all lose at Packback.

It's pretty simple, a super team would gain absolutely nothing by defeating the Shield. Triple H, Taker and The Rock don't need that major win, they can drift in and out of main events and title pictures whenever they choose. And having a lesser team defeat them through interference cheapens the win, like it did when Hall interfered in Goldberg's first loss.

It was best for Bryan to defeat them because, apparently, he's being pushed into a major main event position where he's feuding with Cena in coming months. Defeating the Shield really benefits him in the short and long term and gives him credibility.

It's sort of strange that Seth Rollins is the only one who ever gets pinned or forced to submit. They've clearly made him out to be the weakest link in the group and I think that's a mistake.

Rollins has talent, there is no doubt, but Ambrose is a singles champion so is less likely to lose. He is arguably more talented so he cannot be the weak link. Reigns has impressed me and has a big future. He has the right build to be successful AND is related to The Rock.

If anyone had to lose than Rollins was probably the best choice but I don't think there is much in it. He tapped out and that is the end of that, I can't see there being anything more meaningful than he was picked on this occasion over Reigns.

It's pretty simple, a super team would gain absolutely nothing by defeating the Shield. Triple H, Taker and The Rock don't need that major win, they can drift in and out of main events and title pictures whenever they choose. And having a lesser team defeat them through interference cheapens the win, like it did when Hall interfered in Goldberg's first loss.

It was best for Bryan to defeat them because, apparently, he's being pushed into a major main event position where he's feuding with Cena in coming months. Defeating the Shield really benefits him in the short and long term and gives him credibility.

A super team winning is what a lot of people want to see. Of course they don't benefit in the long run but The Rock or 'Taker pinning the Shield is somewhat of a feelgood moment and the build would sell PPV's. Moreover, there is nothing wrong with losing to either of these guys. It wouldn't be overly detrimental to their careers or the stable.

What a waste. The Shield finally loses after beating some of the biggest names in the company, but its on Smackdown. It just doesn't feel right to me. The Shield's first loss shouldve been a PPV moment, or at the very least Raw. It's the flagship show, the bigger show, the show with the highest ratings. I agree with having them lose and having Daniel Bryan to be the guy that picked up the win. It was a great match. I just think the first loss deserved something more than Smackdown. However, I understand. It helps sell the PPV and they couldnt have it close out Raw because they have to shove Cena a little deeper down our throats while trying to get us to give a shit about Ryback. Maybe I'm just used to all the meaningful things happening on Raw and the fall out happening on Smackdown. *shrugs*

A super team winning is what a lot of people want to see.

That's a pretty big assumption.

Of course they don't benefit in the long run but The Rock or 'Taker pinning the Shield is somewhat of a feelgood moment and the build would sell PPV's.

The WWE seems to be in a long run mode since Wrestlemania. They're pushing a lot of younger guys. So benefitting the Shield in the long run is kind of a big deal.

Also, Bryan beating the Shield was a pretty big feel good moment. Watching The Rock or Taker or Triple H beat them would've been like meh, they beat everyone, that's not a big deal and it benefits absolutely no one. The fans are really connecting with Bryan and we want to see him succeed, so him being the one to stop the Shield is a big feel good moment, as shown by the huge pop when they won.

And PPV buys mean nothing in relation to the result of the match.

Moreover, there is nothing wrong with losing to either of these guys. It wouldn't be overly detrimental to their careers or the stable.

It would be detrimental to the company in general. If any senior star beats the Shield, it helps nobody. You're stopping the Shield's momentum for no reason. If Bryan beats the Shield, you're putting over one of the guys who'll be carrying the company for years to come.

Not to mention, the Shield will get revenge on Bryan and co. at Payback tomorrow night. But we'd never see The Shield vs Rock/Taker/Triple H 2. The individual schedules of those three guys would be difficult to sync up once, let alone twice. By the time all three of them would be back in the WWE for a rematch, the Shield would likely have broken up. The Shield wouldn't get their win.

Maybe I am spitting into the wind here, but didn't they ALREADY lose in a six-man tag match on Raw weeks ago?

I seem to remember the Shield taking on John Cena and Team Hell No back in May on Raw in an elimination match. Here is my evidence:

http://www.wwe.com/videos/john-cena...ation-six-man-tag-team-match-raw-may-26115028

DQ losses never really count.

I think their winning streak went on more than long enough. I'm glad it's finally over, and it's a good rub for Daniel Bryan to be the one to beat them. I hope this leads to the end of The Shield.

Personally, I thought it generally came off the way it needed to and at an opportune time.

Over the past several years, people have complained, sometimes justifiably so, about WWE's somewhat lax attempts at putting over younger & fresher stars. WWE has been strongly building The Shield since their arrival and have focused on keeping them strong as individuals and as a unit. However, most of the attention of their push has been focused as a team. In six man tag matches, they've been able to look dominant while scoring decisive wins over the biggest babyface stars on the roster. As a result, these big babyface stars have been protected in an environment that's allowed The Shield to come off looking like major stars themselves. If WWE had The Shield as a group that wrestled almost entirely as individuals while wracking up the dominant wins they'd have gotten, I think that, if anything, there'd be TONS more complaints. The IWC as a whole can find anything to gripe about. If The Shield members were pushed too hard & too fast, there'd be complaints. If they'd all spent half a year scoring one decisive win over another against the top guys, there'd be complaints. Looking back over everything, I think that WWE has done an excellent job with The Shield in building them up while simultaneously protecting their top stars.

The fact that it was Kane, Bryan & Orton as the "super team" that handed The Shield their first decisive loss, aside from Taker forcing Dean Ambrose to tap out several months ago, was perfectly fine. Remember what I said about complaints earlier? A lot of fans simply wouldn't be nearly as excited if, either in singles or six man tag action, it'd been Cena who tapped out Ambrose or if it was Cena, Sheamus & Del Rio who scored the first pinfall or submission win in six man action. Taker made Ambrose tap out and people thought it was great. Taker is highly respected by damn near everyone and the fact that he only wrestles very sparingly anymore made it feel fresh. Daniel Bryan forcing Rollins to tap rather than Cena AAing him through the ring or Sheamus Brogue Kicking his head off also had a much fresher feel. Bryan forced Rollins to tap out and people got a huge kick out of it. They responded enthusiastically and damn near popped the roof off the place just as crowds all over the country have for anything Bryan has done in the past month or so. Here's little a guy scoring a win for his team against a group that's decimated every top star put in front of them. Not Cena, not Sheamus, not Ryback, not Taker, not Orton; just little ol' goat face, indy circuit darling Daniel Bryan. Over the past several weeks, it's also been the same little goat faced indy darling who has sent The Shield packing even when the numbers were against him. Again, all the bigger stars haven't done it. Bryan doing something that nobody else has been able to is a good example of how to make a star.

DQ losses never really count.

In this case, you appear to be quite correct.

It was weird when they started mentioning on Smackdown that the Shield was going to be "finally" defeated when the Raw commentary team very much acknowledged Super Cena's elimination of all three as the first loss given to them.

To me, it just seems like really bad discontinuity on the part of the writers. It also seems like something they were pushing last minute, because I do not recall them making a big deal of the Shield possibly losing "for the first time" for most all of the night.

Rybakc O'Doyle Rules: From now on, DQ equals a draw!

this could be good and bad, good that it allows them more freedom, bad because now, like they did with ryback could end up making them lose a lot more than necessary.

Maybe, just maybe the loss sets them up to give the wyatt family a rub, in that beating the shield will be huge but they won't be undefeated so it won't be so unbelievable that a bunch of "rookies" will come up and end an impressive undefeated streak

If all goes well The SHield and Wyatt Family will have a confrontation leading into Survivor Series and feud straight through the Royal Rumble. Hopefully, WWE doesn't make the same mistake it made with Nexus and Corre. Just having a few run-ins and a small royal rumble feud. Heel/Heel feuds can lead to good things. I'm assuming the Wyatt Family will spell the beginning of the End for the SHIELD w/WM 30 as the Final resting place. It will be interesting to see IF the diabolical Dean Ambrose can garner the cheers from the live fans when matching wits w/Bray Wyatt. The promos will be unforgettable. This feud needs to happen and it will make the WWE a lot of money on top of establishing some compelling storylines for the mid-card.

Personally this is good and here is why, The Shield is a hell of a group, but like the NWO you have to show they can be flawed and lose or they get stale. They're the first heel team to go months without the team losing, but when they did they did two things right.

1. They put over three guys that aren't in the main event picture, Granted all three men are main eventers and former world champions, but it gives Daniel Bryan the boost going into the summer, going into Payback it makes you believe The Shield may actually be sustainable to a loss in either of their title matches, and three it gives Orton and Kane the fuel they need if they were to turn saying none of the heroes could do what they did and that was take out the Shield if they wanted to go that route.

2. It showed they were human, that even a well oiled machine can go haywire, and as long as they don't start jobbing like the Tons of Funk, The PTPs, or even 3MB it makes you believe anyone could have a chance at winning, that when any member of the Shield goes out there its no longer a squash match for another team, and while they dropped the ball with Ryback by stringing too many losses, if they keep their core intact they can still be the best 3 man team in years.

What a waste. The Shield finally loses after beating some of the biggest names in the company, but its on Smackdown. It just doesn't feel right to me. The Shield's first loss shouldve been a PPV moment, or at the very least Raw. It's the flagship show, the bigger show, the show with the highest ratings. I agree with having them lose and having Daniel Bryan to be the guy that picked up the win. It was a great match. I just think the first loss deserved something more than Smackdown. However, I understand. It helps sell the PPV and they couldnt have it close out Raw because they have to shove Cena a little deeper down our throats while trying to get us to give a shit about Ryback. Maybe I'm just used to all the meaningful things happening on Raw and the fall out happening on Smackdown. *shrugs*

And that's why I say it was perfect. Smackdown as the B show needs added incentive to tune in, and WWE needs to pay it more attention from time to time. Letting a big moment happen on a Smackdown allows it to kinda stand on its own like it did in the Ruthless Aggression era. Plus, the Shield was bound to lose soon enough. Letting it happen now just brought up the inevitable.

I'm not sure where to put this idea but with the whole triple h vince fued that is brewing do you not think vince could pick the shield in ring as his team and they come down to the ring and take him out there for be no ones lackys but still get the fued with H

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back