The *Official* John Cena Thread

What are your feelings on John Cena?

• CZENA SUX!!!

• I dislike Cena on my TV.

• I don't like or dislike him.

• I like John Cena.

• I am a Cena fanatic.

• I don't like Cena, but think he's a good wrestler.

• I like Cena, but don't think he's a good wrestler.

• I dislike the John Cena character, but respect John Cena the man.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't understand sometimes why some people don't like him. I like John Cena quite frankly because he probably is the Hardest working guy in the Business. I mean so what if he isn't the most polished Wrestler or only has "5 Moves". The people that wear those We Hate Cena Shirts are really pathetic and need lives badly if all they can do is go to Live Events too Boo him. I loved it when he won last night and posed with the people who had those Shirts on. He just plays off that so well I think and thats one reason I like John Cena,he doesn't let it get to him.

It's very simple actually, the reason people don't like him is because he's perfect and has the perfect life. Top WWE guy, makes a lot of money and probably lives in a mansion, has that pretty boy look the girls are attracted to, role model to the little kids, always being pushed to the moon, multiple WWE title reigns, main evented wrestlemania like a zillion times, just got married, sucessiful at music and has stared in multiple movies, made to look like superman who can beat anyone. Try and find a flaw in that, he's basically living the life

The average fan can never relate to this, REAL life people are not perfect, we all have our own issues and problems and then when we look at this guy, we instantly get turned off because he's made to look like he's above us in every way. I've hated cena for a long time but I never knew why until I really started thinking about it and this is what I got

anyone else agree???

Wow! not at all. I dont like John cena because he sucks at wrestling. he cant wrestle, simple as that. I am sick of his babyface krap that he says all the time and i am sick of wwe giving him the strap all the time, thats right i said giving because he doesnt deserve it. i could care less whether i have a mansion and a lot of money seriously, that means nothing, he just cant wrestle and doesnt deserve any titles, give it to guys like Christian who can wrestle and put on a show. not cena who doesnt do anything in the ring and get sweet loving from vince

The reasons why I can't stand Cena:

He's a Poor Man's Hulk Hogan Compare his character to Hogan's old school red and yellow. Very similar. Hustle Loyalty Respect. Milk, prayers, vitamins. Now compare their in ring work. Both are made out to be superheroes inside the ring, which gets boring pretty quick. Sell some moves everyonce and awhile.

Over-exposure How many times do we need to see John Cena as the World Champion and having the same tired feuds with Orton, HHH, and Edge. It would be nice to him lose everyonce in awhile too, not a match, but an actual feud. In the end, he ALWAYS comes out on top. Blah!

He doesn't evolve The last clear time I recall Cena tweeking his character at all was when he started to use the STF. Although I will also give him some credit for his interactions with Vince during the Hart saga as well. Other then that, its the same speeches over and over. Take a lesson from Jericho damn it!

What can help Cena besides correcting what I listed as wrong with him? How about putting him in feuds that have nothing to do with a world title for a bit. I'm sure it has happened but it never seems to be that long till he's right back in the ME, hell even when he was injured he came right back and won the Royal Rumble. HHH has done it with DX, Orton with Kofi and now Legacy, Jericho with Mysterio. Why always the world champ? Why not IC, US, or tag? Mix it up please!

The only thing that really bothers me about Cena is how they make it seem like he is a Marine soldier. Now I know its intended to be a salute to the men who are serving over sea's, but it just comes across like they think we believe he has served.

As far as him not selling properly, that is more just how they book him and the fact that Johnny Ace loves the false finishes (by the time we got to the taker match last night you knew full well that they were gonna kick out of a few, its hardly a surprise anymore).

Like it was said above my major problem with Cena is that he goes over the top guys in the company everytime. I think this guy has more victories by way of submission at PPV's than all the other wrestlers combined in the same span. Quite frankly I don't even know if it is close he has made some of the biggest names in the company tap out. Imo a submission loss hurts a wrestlers credability more than being pinned. It just gets old how he goes over the top guys so often not to mention that same tired storyline and constantly calling for the love of the fans that is extremly hard to take serious.

To a degree, I respect Cena for his work ethic but other than that, he's just garbage.

I mean I don't hate the guy as much as I used to because he drove me away from the WWE back in '07, but at this point, there's no point in booing Cena. WWE will continually keep him at the top, no matter what we think. We can hate him all we want but don't bother paying any attention to him.

I just can't see why you guys are still fussing about Cena and his "Superman" antics. It's simple...don't worry about it and just quit watching. That's it.

its quite simple a lot of people are still missing the attitude era and cena represents the very opposite i think once youve seen stone cold and pals raising hell every week its hard to revert back to a nice guy goody goody type of wrestler its like being given a monster truck then having it taken away again and replaced with a hybrid i dont mind john cenas matches but his gimmick just makes me groan. kids love him though and thats all that matters to the wwe right now as they have made it obvious that if your over twelve your opinion isnt worth shit to them anymore

The people didn't choose Cena to be their top guy. Vince did and we didn't like it.

You are wrong on this, The people did choose Cena as their top guy, go back 7 years ago, when Cena was still doing is bad ass rapper gimmick, people would cheer him and loud kinda like what you hear today when you got a majority of the fan that love Cena. Cena was quickly becoming the next big star by in the fans eyes and Vince's just capitalise on it.

But to come back to the topic at hand, personally i don't dislike John Cena, sure he'S a little stale right now but the kids love him and he'S a good role model for those same kids so i don'T mind him, but i know that their are still some people that don'T like him, for what reason i don'T know, maybe because they thing it'S still cool to hate him, maybe they hate is hogan like character, maybe they are just jealous to see a guy like Cena was able to make it big and become a megastar and a future legend.

Whatever it is, it's your choice so if you hate him, hate him but don'T give excuse when you realise that your in the minority.

it has nothing to do with him being perfect, to alot of people he is far from perfect, he comes off as a hypocrite, a kiss A$$ and a very sore winner, attributes I would not consider perfect. I think it has alot to do with the fact that he being as strong as an ox he has never performed a bodyslam or vertical suplex, two basic wrestling moves that he should be able to do a doezen times over. You dont have to be a technical great to do power moves you just have to be strong. Powerslams, running powerslams, bodyslams, and presses, all you need is arm power. Cena runs around talking about respect and loyalty yet his character can be seen as spitting in the face of tradition by the way he dresses, and the style of the wwe title his character debuted. Constantly being in the main event picture without actually wrestling tends to tick people off to, at least triple H will dust off a vertical suplex or indian deathlock once in a while and change his game up at least a little.

People hate cena not because hes perfect, but because his character goes against everything we dislike when it comes to wrestling.

he reminds me of hulk hogan back in the 80's and early 90's, before heel turn. hustle, loyalty and respect reminds me of hogan telling children to take your vitamins eat vegetables and stay in school or whatever... it feels like cena is directly pointed towards kids, just like hulk was back in the day, (changing the name of STFU and FU to attitude adjustment and stf) when cena's entrence hit, the screaming women and small children's cheers are drowned out by the boo's of TRUE wrestling fans. i dont care for him at all but we all have to respect him...

plus, most of us like the bad type, like the new batista and randy orton (heel) john is too goody good...

I hate it when people say that Cena does the same 5 moves and gets beat up then comes back and wins. Isnt that the same thing that Hogan did for 20 years and he is the biggest draw in wrestling ever! I agree with the guy who posted this, that everyone hates Cena because he is too good. He is the ultimate good guy and people cant stand that. We live in a world where people like the bad guy who has shades of good not the other way around. Its like one of the people said we like Austin, he was a bad guy who sometimes was good, we like HBK whose old persona was a bad guy with glimpse of a good guy, even now a days he can play the heel. Cena is a good wrestler with more than 5 moves and anyone who says different has never watched him wrestle, Cena also has great mic skills. If Cena was to change to a heel tonight on Raw most of you people trashing him would jump on his band wagon and say that you always thought he was a great wrestler. I am a Cena fan because my 7 year old son loves him and I can enjoy watching wrestling with my son. I also like the Miz.

I do not hate Cena at all. I enjoy him a lot, and I am a 27 year old man. My father who is 51 loves him too, and thinks he appeals to some masses. I think you are wrong about people hating him because he has the perfect image. I think people hate him because they want a badass. Another reason would be, people do not like his gimmick. By the way people, John Cena can actually wrestle. When he is in big main event spots, he usually ( not always) performs well. Kurt Angle has stated before about fans hating Cena. Angle has said Cena is a hard worker, and he performs at the highest level when in WWE lets him loose. His character calls for limited ring action, and the same was with Hogan. However, he has had some excellent matches over the years. If you want I can name 10 really fast. I think his gimmick is getting a little stale, but he is over with the young fans. Many parents love him for being a guy to root for. If he had is hip hop gimmick, you same fans would probably now be praising him. This is not the attitude era anymore, and some people need to accept that. If he was really as hated as some people hate him on the internet, he would be a jobber or out of a job. He is over with many fans. I know from attending shows that many fans hate on him just because it is cool to them. People did it to the Rock when he was a face. I apperciate wrestling as a whole, and I like the good guy vs bad guy concept. It works sometimes, and it does not work others. The badass wrestlers will not be around for another 5 years or so. Fans can cheer or boo who they want. However, I just hate things like he cannot wrestle or his title reigns. This is not on Cena, but this is on WWE booking. They are booking main eventers to have so many title reigns. It does not matter if it is Edge or Cena. These wrestlers are not being given the opportunity to have at least maybe a 6 month reign.

I don't hate Cena. He just doesn't entertain me. He's dull, he's predictable, he's boring (I said that just like Alfred Borden from The Prestige).

First of all, his character is too friggin' smiley. Is that a legitimate complaint? Oh well. Secondly, he irritates me in every match when he does his little shoulder-block x2/crazy-swoop-by-opponent--into-almost-spin-out-powerbomb/five knuckle shuffle during-which-he-is-suddenly-fine-and-looks-like-the-match-just-started. You can't hate a guy with that kind of impressive cardio. He really looks energetic and fresh during that five knuckle shuffle, although it means he did his "forgetting" to "sell" "things" shtick yet again. Third, his selling while being beaten on is actually really bad. Kick to the gut? He falls to the mat. Clubbing forearm? Falls to the mat. Right hand? To the mat. Sneeze? Mat.

And, lastly, I don't like the way all of his big matches go. He locks in the STF and hits the FU (although the order can differ) and his opponent escapes and kicks out of both, respectively. Then his opponent hits a finisher and Cena kicks out. Then Cena hits one more of his two finishers and wins. This happened in matches with Triple H, Shawn, Jericho, Orton, Lashley (although it was an Fittude AdjustU from the top rope), and now Batista. The exceptions happen when he loses, which are instances that I can count on one hand.

Off topic: Last night when Cena went for his leg drop and Batista caught him, was that supposed to be a spinebuster? I think they think it was.

I can't agree with this either. I am okay with Cena. My only problem with him is he doesn't sell anything. I swear, you could run a storyline where he gets shot in the head with a shotgun and he would be back up two seconds afterwards trying to fight the good fight. Sadly, there are several other wrestlers that are the same way though so to just point out Cena is insane.

finally somebody posts this. i am a proud cena fan. not bcuz im under 12, but bcuz he's from my hometown. hes a great wrestler and has a good gimmick. he sells merchendise and gets over with the target audience. is there anything you guys see wrng with cena?, or is it his gimmick?

i think there are alot of haters and pro cena fans..then you have the bandwagoners haters..which is about 75 percent of his haters...the ones that are like oh you dont like cena..i dont either..just because its the "in" thing..half of his haters were all "i love him soooo much he awsome" but if you looked last night at mania after he won his titles....again...he went right over to the part of the crowd that had on the we hate cena shirts and stood next to them..as if to say.."hate me all you want..9th wwe title..you have none..you cant see me!!" when his music hits..he gets the biggest pops..crowd reaction is always shifty..i realized if hes in new york he gets the crap booed out of him...i guess because of the ecw one noght stand.....but last night there were 75,000 fans and about the majoirty of them were cheering him...its not about who he is its about..hes basically the face of the pg era..he didnt ask for it..people labeled him that..i dont know why..he was there..lonng before the pg era..but as soon as the pg era started they needed someone to blame..but who?? cant blame vinne mac...hes the god of wrestling promotions...sooo hmm how about the biggest name n the wwe. i think i said it awhile ago you cant say he sucks and hes lame but hes laughing all the way to the bank..reportedly both cena and batisita made 500,000 for that one match last night....ONE MATCH!!!! so i say to the cena haters...hate all you want..his merchindise still sells,his movies still sell,his music was popular,and his big checks from working in the wwe...a few bandwagoners isnt going to phase him...

finally somebody posts this. i am a proud cena fan. not bcuz im under 12, but bcuz he's from my hometown. hes a great wrestler and has a good gimmick. he sells merchendise and gets over with the target audience. is there anything you guys see wrng with cena?, or is it his gimmick?

but see he appeals to you because you are under twelve...hes for you...hes not meant for the older fans like me..well im not that old..just 19..been watching since 1996...but when we were growing up we had hbk at his best hhh at his best..austin at his best, rocka t his best,,so on and so forth they were all that rebel tweeners who got huge pops but still did heel things here and there....thats why people love randy orton so much..including me....but like i said if hes from your city cool..actually lucky...lol...but cena comes off as the superman good guy which some like...not saying im a hater..im not hes just not my top five fav wrestler if you read my post below itll explain where i stand...you said your under 12 you might not remember 2004/2005 when he was this gangsta rapper cool guy which people loved but as soon as he stopped that people bandwagoned to hate him..its a shame really

i dunno why people hate this dude .. his a great wrestler .. ppl maybe say he only do have 5 Signtures .. Comon people .. Look At triple h how many do he have? ... HBK .. How many do he have? Batista how many do he have?

people are jealous of this dude cuz he used to be Rapper then he came to this kind of gimmick the H_L_R Gimmick .. - am a big fan of Cena .. i dunt see any thing wrong in him ..
and why people dont look at his Fueds .. every fued includes him become a personal fued which is give the Fan that kind of feeling this is really good .. but i cant tell ppl it did attracted me cuz everyone hates him ... i mean for real ..last night at WM26 .. he even Stood with ppl who were wearing "WE Hate Cena" i think .. if am not wrong ... anyways When u look Deep inside his personality and figure out why U hate him u'll Find 1Reason 2reasons..maybe 3 reasons at all .. .. and the other will Be "jealousness"..

Some people have mentioned that they dont like seeing Cena get clean submission wins over other top stars in big PPVs and i can totally understand this with the submission win putting someone over way more than a tainted pinfall ending. But im wondering if they did this (in particular im thinkin of wins over HHH and HBK) because cenas F-U finisher is so weak looking and lame that a clean victory in a big ppv with this finisher would look worse than a tapout. I know people have done threads before on cenas finisher but i feel this is a piece of the jigsaw as to why i dont like cena. With the rest of the jigsaw being so lame tho it would take cena to do petey williams flip piledriver as his finisher for me to change my opinion

He doesn't evolve The last clear time I recall Cena tweeking his character at all was when he started to use the STF. Although I will also give him some credit for his interactions with Vince during the Hart saga as well. Other then that, its the same speeches over and over. Take a lesson from Jericho damn it!

I agree with this statement completely. Since he turned face he has done the same thing over and over again, nothing new has come from his character. I could care less about the "5 Moves" because one of my favorites of all time is Bret Hart, who despite having a wealth of wrestling knowledge usually closed his matches with 5 moves. (Vertical Suplex, Russian Legsweep, Backbreaker, Elbowdrop from the second rope, and Sharpshooter)

I loved the "white rapper show" gimmick he started with, it was different yet funny. And when he got serious on an opponent (Lesnar/Zack Gowan/Eddie) you believed it.

I actually started disliking the character of John Cena back when he initally turned face. I saw immediately where they were going with the guy & I wanted out. I have a natural affinity for a good heel most of the time so when he was turning, so was I. I just couldn't take him serious anymore, it wasn't a character evolution, he just dropped every 'badass' aspect about himself.

I think its a combination of him being Mr. Goody Too shoes, and the fact that he absolutely no attitude or aggression in him. Also, his character is stale and boring and the quality of his matches are, in my opinion, are not anywhere close to where it should be for the face of the company.

It's very simple actually, the reason people don't like him is because he's perfect and has the perfect life. Top WWE guy, makes a lot of money and probably lives in a mansion, has that pretty boy look the girls are attracted to, role model to the little kids, always being pushed to the moon, multiple WWE title reigns, main evented wrestlemania like a zillion times, just got married, sucessiful at music and has stared in multiple movies, made to look like superman who can beat anyone. Try and find a flaw in that, he's basically living the life

The average fan can never relate to this, REAL life people are not perfect, we all have our own issues and problems and then when we look at this guy, we instantly get turned off because he's made to look like he's above us in every way. I've hated cena for a long time but I never knew why until I really started thinking about it and this is what I got

anyone else agree???

I had no idea Batista was on the forums. Sup Dave!

Love him or hate him, Cena is one tough workaholic! I feel he does deserve this "perfect reputation" Why? Cause he busts his ass for the business. I gotta admit, his character is rather corny as of late, but he is what he is. Nothing against Bret Hart (great guy) but he doesn't brag about being the best (kayfabe or not), or Triple H/HBK. (lets face it, back in the day these two acted the same) Hell, he's not even the Hulk Hogan of this era (tired of people saying that) He's John Cena and he's working hard making his way to the top!

You offered the idea that perhaps people don't like him because we can't relate to him. While this is a fine idea, can we relate to any of them? They're bigger and tougher than we'll ever be, all have more money than us in their banks, they appear on television half naked every week and... well... they're wrestlers. We have nothing in common with them.

I do not like John Cena. I don't hate him, I don't wish physical harm on him, I wouldn't threaten to riot if he wins a match, I don't think the WWE would be better off without him and he's the worst thing to happen to wrestling in the history of everything. I just don't like him.

Professionally I think he might be the best guy in the industry, with his work ethic, passion, commitment yadda yadda yadda. He doesn't choose his storylines, he doesn't pick his match endings, he just turns up, does as he's told, and runs with it. I respect the hell out of him for doing all of these things.

But I do not care for him. I don't like that we know he's going to win every single time when it matters. He'll lose every so often, but he's going to overcome the odds, hit the attitude adjustment on someone you wouldn't think he could lift, retain or recapture his title, and then cut a promo about his morals. I can't fault said morals, in the same way people can't fault CM Punk's, but it just doesn't do it for me. I'm a grown up, I know that fighting fair, having courage, never backing down, and being loyal are good things. I don't need him to tell me that. I don't watch wrestling for life lessons. I watch it to see large men beating each other up.

Now, yes, Cena does beat people up, by the truck-load. He's probably pinned or tapped out more people since he broke in than anyone else in that same time period. He kicks ass and takes names. But he does it in the same way every damn time. He wrestles three kinds of match. One against giants, one against tag teams, and one against regular guys. They vary very little. I just feel like I've seen everything he has to offer. Yeah, he's strong, it's impressive when he hits the Attitude Adjustment on 400+lbers, and he has charisma and passion that drips off him inside the ring, but he's the definition of a straight-forward wrestler. When you've seen Kurt Angle put on a clinic against Chris Benoit, or Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels at back to back Manias, or the countless other main event names who are better at wrestling than him, you just don't really have a desire to watch him.

Kids don't care about matches. They want to see an entrance, a finishing move, and a celebration. They want their hero to win and they don't care how. To them it doesn't matter how limited Cena is, because he's Cena and he's their hero. He isn't my hero, he's just a wrestler, and he isn't a great one, which is unfortunate, because if every guy was as passionate and committed as him wrestling would be epic.

So yeah, to sum up, I'm not interested in his moral righteousness (I personally gravitate more towards anti-heroes and darker characters anyway), I just want to see him wrestle, and his ability is far too limited for my liking. I want to see variety in both storylines and wrestling ability. All he does is feud over the title because it's a representation of being the best and that's his thing. His feud with Batista was good because it was one of the more personal ones he's had, it would have worked without the belt, because it was about Batista's dislike for him as a person and his jealousy. I'd like to see him enter into more varied feuds and I'd like to see him wrestle a different kind of match, pull out some tricks we don't usually see from him, change up his game plan, just SOMETHING DIFFERENT!

I dislike his monotony, that would have been a quicker way of saying it.

I don't hate John Cena. I'm just not a fan. It's the gimmick. The rapping, the rhyming, the spinner belt, the catchphrases, his entrance, his theme music. I know he's gotten away from some of that, but it's still what I think of when I see him. "You Can't See Me". So? I just don't get it.

He also reminds me of a guy I used to know who acted just like him and was totally obnoxious and everybody universally hated him, usually immediately after he'd open his mouth. I can't help but think of that every time I see him. Take away how built Cena is, how the females scream when Cena takes his shirt off like the WWE Universe is at a Jonas Brothers concert, and how Cena's been built into a role model for children, and they would be the exact same guy. Cena would be the biggest heel in WWE.

I understand the Hulk Hogan comparisons, but there's a major difference: Cena loses. He wins his fair share, but he doesn't win every Royal Rumble, every major match he's in, and doesn't refuse to do a job. So he's not as bad as Hogan.

The one thing I credit the most to John Cena is that he is an actual fan of the business, grew up watching it, knows the history and respects it, and doesn't act above the business, or acts embarrassed of being in it. He got into it for the right reasons. He wasn't the chosen one or anything, he just connected with people and ran with it. I can't blame him or anything.

So, to each their own.

Two things: First, Hulk Hogan is lucky he was on top in an era before the Internet. Second, I'm lucky I grew up in an era before (for the most part) the Internet.

I was a Cena Hater before being a Cena Hater was cool. When he was in his "in between face and heel" stage I liked him alright. I wasn't a huge fan, but he entertained me (and the THOUSANDS of fans who blew the roof off cheering for him), and I liked seeing a new guy making his mark in the industry. But I was a JBL fan, and I didn't like the idea of this new "non-traditional" guy beating him for the WWE Championship. Not that I didn't think he wasn't world title material, but I thought it was too early for him. After Wrestlemania 21, well, all of you know the rest. It was like he NEVER lost!

Then all the boos came. It became "the thing to do" to hate John Cena, which no one could have predicted judging from his popularity. But over time, after seeing him on talk shows, after watching his promos, and after noticing his work ethic and care for the WWE fans (TV, house shows, movies, charity events), I came to the conclusion that this guy absolutely is in love what he does and does NOT deserve to be booed AT ALL!

I still get annoyed that he wins ALL THE TIME, but so did Hulk Hogan. You know what else Hulk Hogan did?...HULK UP!! Dude took a beating and all the sudden the punches and kicks from his opponent made him stronger rather than hurt him like they were ten seconds before, kinda like that "no-selling" thing Cena does. "Well that was at a different time and Cena's not Hulk Hogan and five moves this and Superman that and" BLAH BLAH freakin BLAH! Time and gimmick don't matter. The fact is, the kids love him, and I remember being that kid cheering for Sting. And I know this gets said a lot on the forum (which is a good thing), but name one guy in the business who loves what he does more than John Cena....yep, didn't think so. John Cena is the face of the WWE, and he's here to stay. Get used to it if you haven't yet.

So, in conclusion, shut your mouths and enjoy some wrestling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back