• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The NXT to WWE Conversion Isn't Working

BigBombB

Pre-Show Stalwart
I'm going to be looking at stars who were called up around the time of the NXT re-design and beyond to make an important point: the people overseeing the main show product are doing a terrible job.

First, a list of guys who have already peaked at the midcard (if they even reached it):

Adam Rose
Big E
Bo Dallas
Erick Rowan
Fandango
Konnor
Viktor
Xavier Woods

Now I'm sure some of you are already up in arms because "The Ascension just debuted! They'll get better in time!" I'll get to that.

Now, here is a list of the NXT talents who have "found success" after being called up:

Bray Wyatt
Dean Ambrose
Lana
Luke Harper
Paige
Roman Reigns
Rusev
Seth Rollins

What do all of these talents have in common? Think it over for a moment while I do a little analysis on the sabotage of two of the biggest "NXT stars" to come into WWE.

Big E

Here is a guy who had an impactful debut, the Ziggler/Big E/AJ team was incredibly hot for a while thanks to the way they all interacted together. Then, for some reason, Ziggler's steam was cutout from underneath him. This seemed like Big E's time to shine but after a rushed victory over Ziggler, Big E was soon forgotten about as well. Big E was getting over, he has a mix of strength, speed, charisma, and works hard to keep the fans into his matches. But the WWE writers don't "get him" so he is now in the blacks-only reformation of the JOB Squad.

Bo Dallas

Debuting as "that guy everyone hates in real life", Dallas went beyond most people's expectations and was making a solid impact. Recently he was injured but even before his injury it seemed that Bo was fading fast. Why? He was doing a brilliant job and he easily could have transitioned into something else playing the "smarmy bastard" role. He had momentum, he was getting over, he could have been transitioned into the role of a "cult leader" similar to his brother (just of a different kind) or even become a representative of the Wyatts or SOMETHING! Instead, Bo has fallen as quickly as he rose through no obvious fault of his own.

BONUS: Curtis Axel

This is going back a bit further but prior to the NXT reboot, there was one feud that was putting NXT on the map already...Tyson Kidd vs. Michael McGuillicutty. Axel was working a great "tough guy" gimmick that was bolstered by his family heritage but didn't completely hinge on it. Then Axel re-debuted as "that jobber everyone knows but with a new name" and thrust into the spotlight with no build. No time to re-establish his character and his tough guy persona being completely shattered in his first match. Now he is likely to be in the next set of releases.

So what is it that all those "successful" talents who were called up have in common? The answer is two fold. The first is that any edge they had in NXT has been completely dulled. The second is...who exactly are these people? No, seriously, what are their personalities? What do they represent? What is their motivation? Because I am so confused.

The Shield

NXT: Ambrose is building up an awesome personality by feuding with William Regal and beating up various others. He looks like a legit scumbag in the vein of Roddy Piper but even more unhinged. Rollins is the first NXT champion in history, a crazy mosher metalhead guy that busts his ass every night to prove he is the best. Reigns is starting to come into his own with a good look and strong family lineage.

WWE: Three talented guys come together to break into WWE with the most ambiguous gimmick imaginable. They're here because they are...motivated and they work well together because...they are wearing the same vests. They are battling against something that changes at random based on what the storyline calls for. But they're great together, putting on great matches despite the entire group being devoid of personality because apparently standing out is bad. Then Rollins turns on them and gets a great push as...some guy we're not supposed to like because he aligned himself with other people we're not supposed to like. Ambrose is crazy, on occasion, and only if it doesn't make anyone uncomfortable. Reigns never got the memo that the Shield broke up and is keeping the ambiguity alive.

The Wyatt Family

NXT: Bray Wyatt has lost his damn mind, thinking he is more monster than human, and bringing together a "family" to continue his cult-like agenda. Wyatt inserts himself into the World Title picture, costing his real life brother a chance at winning the title, and establishes himself as a force to be reckoned with. His brainwashed children, Harper and Rowan, provide beatdowns on request then win the NXT Tag Team titles. They are easily the hottest group in wrestling.

WWE: They're in WWE to attack people for...reasons. They have a cool entrance and Bray Wyatt is talking a bunch of nonsense that sounds pretty intimidating. Then they kind of float around until suddenly Wyatt hits on a feud with Cena because...singing children? It is tough to take these guys seriously when all of their talk never actually leads to anything. Then, in a complete afterthought, the family splits-up despite THREE HOURS OF TELEVISION that desperately needs a storyline for such an important event from one of their most important groups. Now Harper gained and lost the Intercontinental championship, Wyatt is feuding with Ambrose, and Rowan seems to be turning into a less offensive version of Eugene. And nothing they are doing seems to matter because the build is sporadic and meaningless.

Paige

NXT: One of the best female wrestlers in the world made all the more impressive due to her young age. Her screams put terror into her opponents and the crowd. She is one of the top female athletes in the world today.

WWE: Here is this girl with a gothic look acting like an uncertain little girl who has no idea what to do. She wins the Diva's title in her first match...yup, she sure does. There she is with the title...oh, now she doesn't have it! Now she has it again! Oh, it's gone again! And she seems a little sassy, kind of, which still doesn't match her look. At all.

Rusev and Lana

NXT: Holy crap look at this guy! Did he just do a jumping kick!? OMG! Rusev is one of the most impressive physical specimens in the world. Who is this hot chick? Wow!

WWE: Rusev is a Russian that isn't a Russian that is a Russian sympathizer who may as well be Russian because Russia is bad guys. Lana is attractive, she has a neat accent, she seems to pop up when that Rusev guy is around. She really likes Crush. They are a generic evil that will inevitably be defeated by Cena and fall into obscurity. Great.

The Ascension

NXT: Proclaiming themselves the greatest group in the world, beyond anything that currently exists, they take on an almost supernatural persona with an amazing entrance and hard hitting style. Konnor's eyes are completely white, absolutely terrifyingly awesome. Viktor jumps in the fold trying hard to live up to the already successful gimmick. They start to gel together, with a slightly revamped entrance and the same great finisher.

WWE: Hey everyone, meet the Road Warriors V3.0! Remember when Animal and Heidenreich were a tag team? Well here are two smaller guys! Look at their stupid make-up! Aren't they adorable?

Just...how? Why? When given the opportunity to do what they want, in an environment that rewards them for doing so, the wrestlers in NXT stand out big time. Anyone watching can follow and get invested. Then they go to the main roster and a bunch of people who apparently haven't watched a single episode of NXT re-create them into completely different people.

NXT feels real, it has a natural flow, and everyone plays to their strengths. WWE feels fake, everything comes off as artificial, and everyone's gimmicks are re-worked to seemingly highlight their greatest weaknesses. I think instead of NXT trying to get on the WWE roster, WWE would be better off trying to shift everyone onto the NXT roster. Clearly, at this point, the downgrade isn't going to NXT, it is being called up to WWE. If ever there was a clear need to completely overhaul Raw and Smackdown, it has never been more obvious than now.

I'll bite Game Rage.

The NXT conversion is working the way all call ups have worked in the past. If anything it is working better. For many years guys have been added to the main roster each reaching varying level of success. The only difference is that now you saw where they were coming from. This may be similar to years ago when guys appeared mega successful in a territory and only somewhat successful in WWE. Guys on their way to the main roster tend to be booked to look good but when they get to the main roster that starts to disappear because they have to wait their turn for things and take some lumps along the way. Throw in the fact that WWE programming serves a much wider net with their sponsors, merchandizing, larger arenas, charitable work, house show schedule, Apps, far more hours of programming, what is left of PPV, and the main gateway to promoting the new Network and you can see why NXT guys may not live up to expectation coming from NXT to WWE.

Not to mention that a lot of NXT guys are basic new to people in NXT and haven't had the chance to get stale. Even Owens and Zayn will get stale to people just like Orton and Cena once it happens enough times.

NXT conversion is fine. I think the Ascension always blew moose dick.

I think the problem with quite a few of these talents is that their gimmicks, while fun in the more intimate setting of NXT, just don't work on a larger scale.

You forget Daniel Bryan? he started in a version of NXT, i'm pretty sure he's doing ok, Wade Barrett, Ryback, all those guys, even the Miz started in Tough Enough which was the predecessor to NXT, i think what WWE is doing by televising it's developmental talent is smart, gets them away from performing for 20 people in a high school and more used to the massve audiences they will have to get used to in the main roster. It also gives them time to adapt their characters and iron out issues prior to prime time TV, all the greats had to do that at some point, The Undertaker, Kane, Stone Cold, The Rock, all started with weird gimmicks that didn't suit them, changed their characters and went on to huge things, NXT gives them a place to do this before the Internet gets hold of them, look what happened the first week Bray Wyatt came out from behind the curtains and the Smarks all shouted Husky Harris, it could've ruined his debut on the main roster had he not shown his worth in NXT before hand.

I'll bite Game Rage.

The NXT conversion is working the way all call ups have worked in the past. If anything it is working better. For many years guys have been added to the main roster each reaching varying level of success. The only difference is that now you saw where they were coming from. This may be similar to years ago when guys appeared mega successful in a territory and only somewhat successful in WWE.

I guess one point on this would be: What is the point of NXT if they aren't developing an act to bring to the main roster? Or, if when they're brought to the main roster, they only have one short angle prepared for them?

My main issue is how they treat the NXT guys after they transition to the main roster. Take Wyatt for example, one week he might be in the middle of a big angle and the next week he may be in the middle of a random midcard match with no storyline advancement. Imagine if that happened to Stone Cold during his rise, one week he is attacking Vince McMahon, the next week he is facing Steve Blackman with a passing mention by the commentators about what happened the week before. No reply by McMahon or anyone else, like someone hit the pause button for a week in the middle of the angle. But it would be ok because Austin was still "new", right?

Maybe the problem is a lack of people willing to stand up for their roles. CM Punk was one of the better booked stars during his run but he infamously fought tooth and nail to keep some level of logic to his angles. So it seems you're either widely disliked by the office for caring about your place on the card (something it seems most aren't willing to risk) or you get booked in a completely bi-polar way.

But what kind of leverage does an NXT person have when they come to the main roster? They're treated like rookies, the commentators even refer to them as such most of the time. WWE has created this excellent developmental product, doing exactly what they hoped it would do, then giving the stars they produce no leverage once they step up to the big game.

NXT Call-Up: I think my role should be different.
WWE Management: Oh, then I guess we'll just kill your push then.
NXT Call-Up: But, what you're asking me to do doesn't make sense with my character.
WWE Management: Enjoy jobbing for the next half a year.
(What I think most NXT members expect to happen after they're called up)

I guess one point on this would be: What is the point of NXT if they aren't developing an act to bring to the main roster?

There is no doubt that NXT is being used to help develop some talent but are you seriously telling me that a lot of these guys need or could use more work? Does Kevin Steen not know how many ropes there are? Does Sammy Zayn need more practice kicking out at two instead of three? Do Lucha Dragons not know that they are supposed to pin their opponent and not each other?

NXT started from WWE's developmental system but has been tweaked in to becoming something that may bring in more revenue. Look at the response it is getting. It is helping to keep a certain type of fan WWE is using Indy and international talent to bring in and keep some of their audience that may not be so enamored with the ADHD product that Raw has become.

Or, if when they're brought to the main roster, they only have one short angle prepared for them?

How is that different from plenty of other guys that are brought on to Raw over the past twenty years? Did Lance Cade and Trevor Murdoch get monster year long pushes when they joined WWE? Should The Berserker have had an ongoing affair storyline with Miss Elizabeth? Why are The Highlanders not the current ten year reigning WWE tag champs?

Guys have always failed on the big stage. That tradition is not going to be broken by NXT. The fact that so many guys you have mentioned have not been future endeavored shows how much NXT has improved call ups.

My main issue is how they treat the NXT guys after they transition to the main roster. Take Wyatt for example, one week he might be in the middle of a big angle and the next week he may be in the middle of a random midcard match with no storyline advancement. Imagine if that happened to Stone Cold during his rise, one week he is attacking Vince McMahon, the next week he is facing Steve Blackman with a passing mention by the commentators about what happened the week before. No reply by McMahon or anyone else, like someone hit the pause button for a week in the middle of the angle. But it would be ok because Austin was still "new", right?

Shitty writing is not exclusive to forner NXT talent. John Cena has some of the shittiest writing on the roster at times. Even Austin was put in spots that were eye rolling.
He premiered as The Ringmaster, it kind of sucked. It took time and paying some dues and he finally got to a great place in WWE. Other guys fail.

If you like NXT's writing that is great for you. I am not sure you will feel the same way after watching for twenty years. You will definitely not feel the same way once they add an abundance of commercials, stretch it out to three plus hours, introduce celebrity guest hosts, use it to promote Raw and NXT's latest movie starring Adrienne Neville in Chaperone 4.

Maybe the problem is a lack of people willing to stand up for their roles. CM Punk was one of the better booked stars during his run but he infamously fought tooth and nail to keep some level of logic to his angles. So it seems you're either widely disliked by the office for caring about your place on the card (something it seems most aren't willing to risk) or you get booked in a completely bi-polar way.

What does this have to do with NXT call ups? Not everyone gets booked to succeed. It is hard to have a roster with more winners than losers. If NXT had a stagnant roster they would suffer the same fate. Not to mention at least six hours of weekly programming.

But what kind of leverage does an NXT person have when they come to the main roster? They're treated like rookies, the commentators even refer to them as such most of the time. WWE has created this excellent developmental product, doing exactly what they hoped it would do, then giving the stars they produce no leverage once they step up to the big game.

Few in WWE have leverage and no rookies have ever had leverage in the history of this business. It is not like someone with little name recognition is going to get the kind of money outside of WWE that they can get inside WWE. It is a fact of life and I have no idea what this has to so with the topic at hand except I'm sick in bed and bored.

NXT Call-Up: I think my role should be different.
WWE Management: Oh, then I guess we'll just kill your push then.
NXT Call-Up: But, what you're asking me to do doesn't make sense with my character.
WWE Management: Enjoy jobbing for the next half a year.
(What I think most NXT members expect to happen after they're called up)

Again, how is this any different than 90% of the rest of the roster? And why should I care? If guy thinks they can write and book themselves to stardom they should go start their own company.

Bottom line, not everyone is going to get the best storylines or booking. Someone has to lose, some times they will lose in the middle of something that feels big.

NXT and Raw are different animals. Raw also happens to tend to stink in the second half of the year so maybe you are just caught up in that.

I think you make some very good points, some have been booked very poorly but I also like some of the booking but WWE just gave up on.

Just a few points of how creative could have done better with people.

Big E
I liked the alliance with Ziggler. Heel Ziggler with Big E was a great combination and it was a good way to introduce a big guy to the main roster. However, his face turn should have been more impactful. I would have had Ziggler treat him like shit before Big E had enough and flattened him. An extended PPV match to finish of the story. Big E winning the IC title was a fairly good move, but they should have brought in the '5 count' gimmick. I think Big E would have been the perfect champion to have open challenges and regularly defend the title.

Bo Dallas
The undefeated streak was good. If you watch NXT you got the gimmick and he was still annoyingly amusing. Bo should have remained undefeated for quite a while. Backstage passings with top tier guys and veterans, particularly Kane, Henry, Big Show could have been fun if Bo bragged how he was undefeated. I would have quite liked him to pick up wins against Orton, Sheamus etc. through DQ wins or count outs. He could have been a great IC champion if he remained undefeated.

The Ascension
I wanted one of two things for these guys. A debut at Royal Rumble or Survivor Series. Adding them as surprise partners in a Survivor Series bout in which they dominated would have been great. If not, having 1 enter at say 14 and the other at 15 in a Royal Rumble then using tag team moves to eliminate multiple contestants could have been a way to display early dominance. Booking them against jobbers is just pointless.

The Wyatt Family
Firstly they should have stayed together, if not Harper and Rowan should have. Simple. If they had they would not even be discussed on here.

I really don't know what you expect when they do get called up. They are rookies in a way. To gain a spot on the main roster is a privilege and we've seen that some like the Shield, Paige, Wyatt's have been able to make a go of it. Others like Dallas and Adam Rose have failed.

You can blame booking all you want, and yea they are in some if not most cases not doing their jobs, but it's what the fans want. Or more importantly what Vince thinks the fans want. There is going to be hits and misses with all of the wrestlers who debut on the main roster, that's a fact and it won't change.

RAW and NXT are two different entities, just because someone like Bo Dallas was a hit on NXT does not translate into a hit on the main roster. Different fan base, different storylines, different booker's. And not all of them will be main event talent or even win a mid card belt. What looks good at Full Sail may not took work in some of the bigger arena's, and they have to compensate for that. Others will be brought up just to fill out a thinning roster and will remain on the mid card for good. Nothing wrong with that, you need a good balance there in order for the product to work.

I would also give The Ascension at least more than one week before they are labeled a failure. They had one match against what can only be termed as lacklustre opponents that night. If they don't get better then I will agree, they shouldn't have been brought up or change the gimmick, but give them more time.

I understand your point, but it's hard to agree with it when you use The Shield, The Wyatt Family, Paige, Rusev/Lana, and the fuckin Ascension as examples of the NXT/WWE conversion not working. What show are you watching?

One reason is that a wrestler in NXT can use the style they had before they got there but for fear of safety at the Raw level their move set is going to be changed. The other reason is that everyone can't be a star and be pushed all the time. Poor gimmicks can contribute and some guys have the charisma of a log but The WWE needs jobbers too. If you have "It" then you'll make it but right now it seems like a lot of guys are just carbon copies. I don't know much about The Ascension but they look like a Road Warrior clone and I guess kids today don't know who the Road Warriors and Demolition were so they can just use that gimmick again and it's suppose to go over.

WWE's biggest problem is and always has been trying to fix things that aren't broken. They change what works in NXT and water it down or change what fans liked about it. If a wrestler starts getting over they again change them.

As has been brought up, I don't know what you expect. Not everybody is gonna thrive on the main roster, everyone isn't gonna be a major player, everyone can't headline WrestleMania. That's how it is in EVERY wrestling promotion and that's how it always will be.

As to the conversion not working, I don't know what show the OP is watching. It's hard to have credibility when you cite people that've done well on the main roster since being called up as examples of things not working. The Shield have worked, The Wyatt Family has worked, Rusev has worked, The Ascension are already generating some buzz, Paige won the Divas Championship her first night on the main roster.

Here's the thing about the NXT Call-Ups having influence: they don't have any in the grand scheme of things. If what I've read in reports are true, then WWE doesn't give a shit how big of a star someone is on the indie circuit. You have to prove yourself in their eyes and while that might rub some egos the wrong way, that's just how it is. WWE brings in hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue each year, which means that they're obviously doing something right in enough people's eyes that they keep tuning in, buying merchandise, buying tickets, ordering ppvs, etc. So if they feel that someone has to prove to them that they're worth being part of the roster, it's not as though they don't have justified, legit reasons for feeling that way.

WWE's biggest problem is and always has been trying to fix things that aren't broken. They change what works in NXT and water it down or change what fans liked about it. If a wrestler starts getting over they again change them.

In a way that's true, but you also have to understand that Full Sail University where they tape NXT is a very small venue. I think they can only hold less than 500 people, huge difference from example the 18,000 they can get into the Air Canada Centre here in Toronto for a RAW taping. So what works there may not work in the bigger arena's, it may get lost with all the hubbub.

NXT is very much like a family, and the fans are like the distant cousins. It's a very different atmosphere when you watch the show, they are all on the same page. You don't hear the JBL and CM Punk chants, all of them are very respectful towards the wrestlers. Far removed from the huge arena's where you get a lot of assholes, who I might add always seem to be front row centre, or near a one of the microphones.

So I can understand that the WWE might have to tweak a wrestler when they debut. But there is no excuse whatsoever for turning Adrian Neville into Mighty Mouse. Whoever came up with that idea should be soundly thrashed.

It's hard to disagree with any of that, however you have spun every example to fit your stance. I prefer to look at the bigger picture.

Raw/Smackdown is the big leagues and these guys got called up. They are fighting for attention from the crowd and consideration from Creative against much better competition than they had in NXT and they've been doing it for years.

Some learn to swim, some sink. I consider The Shield, Bryan, BNB, Wyatt and Ryback to be successes in these waters. Some time will tell, others will not work.

BTW, Bo Dallas needed to look sharper in-ring if his gimmick was going to get over and using Stratusfaction as his finisher was so pony it was embarrassing. And everyone except Ambrose should be banned from using the bulldog at all until they learn how to do it right, I'm looking at you Mr Cena.

I understand your point, but it's hard to agree with it when you use The Shield, The Wyatt Family, Paige, Rusev/Lana, and the fuckin Ascension as examples of the NXT/WWE conversion not working. What show are you watching?

Let me put it this way. Yes, these guys are in and out of the main event a lot but are any of them ACTUALLY STARS? By the shoddy standards of modern day wrestling perhaps but in terms of being big, franchise players none of them are even close. Which I don't even think is their fault (in some cases).

If you're trying to tell me that Wyatt/Ambrose has the feel of a Rock/Austin meeting then you're delusional...but it SHOULD! A match-up between these two should be a huge draw, it should feel like a major event, but it doesn't. We can blame it on changing interests and blah blah...fact is, each NXT star has been booked so inconsistently that their momentum never gets going.

Yes, The Shield, The Wyatts, and Paige are "over" compared to many others on the roster but...that is the problem, only in comparison are they over, they aren't REALLY over. And they aren't REALLY over because fans aren't invested in them. We all know they'll put on a good match, great, but there is a reason WWE doesn't sellout shows anymore. No one is invested in these people...how could they be? Ambrose/Rollins, Paige/AJ, Wyatt/Cena, these were all good matches but did anyone actually get over? NXT call-ups aren't treated like top draws by the people booking the show, so how is anyone else going to take them seriously?

So I can understand that the WWE might have to tweak a wrestler when they debut. But there is no excuse whatsoever for turning Adrian Neville into Mighty Mouse. Whoever came up with that idea should be soundly thrashed.
Hey hey, the people obviously want to see Mighty Mouse, he's all the rage these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back