The Musician/Band Tournament? (Just an idea...)

Johnny Scumm

InZayn In The Membrane
I don't know how "big" the Media Hub is nowadays in terms of activity, but I had an idea, where we'd take 64 Musicians/Bands, mostly picked for by the members of Wrestlezone, then through randomization, pull out some first rounds that turns this into the "Wrestlezone Artist Tournament 2013".

I was thinking it should also be something that varies the artists, so we can use a wide range of different artists/bands. Say, we'd have Metallica, going up against Lady Gaga, or Daft Punk against Cancer Bats. Obviously, it'd be random, so it wouldn't be down to me.

But, who would be up for seeing this?

I could be up for something like this. I thought it be fun to have some sort of summer tournament this year and an artist tournament sounds quite fun. I'm sure we could get Dagger on board to help run it and promote The Media Hub. I think that having people pick a list of the Top 64, would be very interesting and sorting them into random seeds may be a good idea as it would be a lot less complicated. Personally I feel like we're destined for the Beatles to make at least the semifinals deservedly so. I'd have no problem help running it or help those running it.

I get my laptop back in the next three days so for sure I'll be very much more frequent after then.

Didn't we have a music tourney? Two years ago?

Seriously I batted for Buckley to be in the list and went for SRV as lead guitarist.

Whatever happened? Who were voted the best?

I remember the last music tourny we had to be a disaster, I think most people wound up losing interest before it even began because the format was so fucked up. The first Music tourny was a pretty good time though, I think if somebody did it like that again (4 Divisions- 60/70s, 80s, 90s, & 2000s, with 16 bands in each div.) it could work. The hardest part is selecting which bands would be worthy, so good luck with that to whoever would put this thing together, & just keep in mind no matter who you put in there are gonna be some posters who think all your selections are wrong

I can't see it faring any better than the movies tournament, so I'd guess that this seems pretty doubtful. Tournaments are kind of a pain to run and it's not really worth it, if there's going to be very little traffic.

The WZT and BZT are the only tourneys worth it really. Plus it's pretty obvious Madonna would conquer all.

The Battlezone Tournament is by far my favorite on here. There's no real wrong answers (in a way) plus it talks about all our favorite childhood/current hood characters.

WZT is our pride and glory no doubt however if say Battlezone is probably the most fun.

The BZT should be coming up here pretty soon. So in the interest of spreading them out I really wouldn't want to see something like this until winter. The first music tournament was pretty good. I think Queen won, and there were lots of good arguments.

I think a music tournament is far more inclusive than the BZT to be honest. While I enjoyed José's argument for Bugs Bunny as much as anyone, musicians and bands have a far greater reach than comic book heroes/villains.

I know there's more to it than comic book people, but when story arcs/encounters from comics play a big part in the outcome of a battle, it can leave those of us who don't follow the comics feeling a little jaded and apathetic.

It'd end up some repetitive club DJ against some Norwegian death metal band that 15 000 people worldwide have heard of.

I think this is what we should do.

16 of each; 60/70's, 80's, 90's & 00's Onwards.

We whittle all categories down to one winner, then randomise two "semi finals", where the four becomes two. Then, the two that win from those four face off, that's how we get the all round winner. Thoughts?

Hmm, Nirvana, Metallica and Guns n Roses would all be considered 80s bands. Would you thn have to break down the bands/musicians into musical genres?

I think a music tournament is far more inclusive than the BZT to be honest. While I enjoyed José's argument for Bugs Bunny as much as anyone, musicians and bands have a far greater reach than comic book heroes/villains.

I know there's more to it than comic book people, but when story arcs/encounters from comics play a big part in the outcome of a battle, it can leave those of us who don't follow the comics feeling a little jaded and apathetic.

Actually it really wouldn't, and I say that not only having experienced all three BZT's and the music tourney, but having been here on WZ for over 7 years and listening to everyone's opinions on music. Last years BZT would have likely easily thrashed whatever new music tourney gets ran, simply because music is such a subjective topic, while the BZT is objective... and the MT wasn't as versatile as the BZT either.

For example Metallica vs Nirvana would seem like a big match, but you'd be surprised at the number of people that either couldn't weigh in or just don't have much to say.

That's likely the reason why groups like Metallica ended up going as far as they did, and why bands like Pearl Jam didn't make it far at all.

Hmm, Nirvana, Metallica and Guns n Roses would all be considered 80s bands. Would you thn have to break down the bands/musicians into musical genres?

I wouldn't break them down anymore, BUT, I wouldn't have 16 Punk/Rock/Metal bands.

I would get people to suggest to each list, then make appropriate picks based on popularity and genres.

I think this is what we should do.

16 of each; 60/70's, 80's, 90's & 00's Onwards.

We whittle all categories down to one winner, then randomise two "semi finals", where the four becomes two. Then, the two that win from those four face off, that's how we get the all round winner. Thoughts?

Sounds good, although I would like it if we worked towards making the best group ever. Like Best Singer, Best Bassist, Best Guitarist (maybe two for lead and rhythm) and Best Drummer.

Anyone not found voting for Robert Plant will also be shot on sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back