The Hip Hop Thread

Ty Burna

Getting Noticed By Management
I'm not one to actively promote my threads or what not (WZCW aside obviously), but I've started a weekly feature of the hip hop thread I'd like all fans of rap to take part in.

What it is, I choose two artists and we throw them out and let people debate on who the better artist is/was. I'm trying to avoid obvious comparisons such as 2Pac/Biggie because those have been done to death. I feel this is something different we can do in the thread because the same old "today's mainstream hip hop is shit", "No it isn't" argument needs to die a fiery death. So if you feel like this is something you wanna jump in on, follow the link: http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=48744

Our first week's showdown is DMX vs. Method Man.

Thank you for your time.

I love Wu-Tang just as much as anybody but I still went DMX. In a one on one battle I find him as the slightly more enjoyable artist.

DMX has one of the more underrated flows in the game. People just listen to all the yelling and don't look at the substance. As a pure rhymer I'd give Meth the slight edge but as an overall artist I give it to DMX.

I see what you're saying. In a way, people do it with ODB too. They focus on his unique style and the substance bypasses them.

DMX has one of the more underrated flows in the game. People just listen to all the yelling and don't look at the substance.

I am not a rap expert (lol at that), but like I said in thread.. I love DMX's passion. But I also like how his sounds. I dunno, I think his shouting adds to the songs.

[YOUTUBE]6GsUdN6f3nE[/YOUTUBE]

I like the song anyway. :)

If you want suggestions for your next comparison(s) Ty, may I suggest Lupe and Kanye, Lupe and Lil Wayne, or Lil Wayne and Royce Da 5'9? I could have fun with some of those.

I am not a rap expert (lol at that), but like I said in thread.. I love DMX's passion. But I also like how his sounds. I dunno, I think his shouting adds to the songs.

It definitely does I was just saying that it's all people sometimes focus on rather then the content.

If you want suggestions for your next comparison(s) Ty, may I suggest Lupe and Kanye, Lupe and Lil Wayne, or Lil Wayne and Royce Da 5'9? I could have fun with some of those.

Royce would absolutely murder Weezy.

How about I have artists I don't fucking despise (referring to Kanye and Wayne).

Already got a few battles thought up as it is.

Isn't already established that Lil Wayne is shit? Is there really any more need to debate this?

Speaking of rap and the da such, in Arizona, Bone Thugs N Harmony is probably the most popular rap act here. :p [/random fact]

Isn't already established that Lil Wayne is shit? Is there really any more need to debate this?

Speaking of rap and the da such, in Arizona, Bone Thugs N Harmony is probably the most popular rap act here. :p [/random fact]

Arizona is ight by me if that's the case.

Royce would absolutely murder Weezy.

I know, but I know one idiot would come in and argue for Wayne and I could just kill him. I would have fun.

How about I have artists I don't fucking despise (referring to Kanye and Wayne).

Already got a few battles thought up as it is.

I despise them too, which is why I want to argue against them.

Thing is I don't want one sided fights. Otherwise I'd throw Wayne or Soulja Boy against Nas and let the bashing begin. There's no need to do it. I want match ups that make you actually stop and consider who you think is the better of the two. There's no point to inciting a cluster of posts dissing an artist. I mean they have threads upon threads for Kanye and Wayne, go do the bashing/arguing against them in there.

I don't want to turn this idea I just started into a way of talking shit about artists I don't like. Hell I've spoken out enough myself how much I despise the two, why be a broken record of it. And I think Eboney said it best, we know Wayne's shit already, do we really need to debate it yet again (Nicki Minaj aside, Eboney has gained my attention, and I hope she posts in my hip hop thread more).

Eboney's a she? Learn something new every day.

Eminem vs. Tupac, Lupe Fiasco vs. Drake, Kid Cudi vs. Lupe, Eazy E vs. Eminem. Just a few suggestions that could be somewhat even. Just to keep in mind once you run out of battles.

And I think Eboney said it best, we know Wayne's shit already, do we really need to debate it yet again (Nicki Minaj aside, Eboney has gained my attention, and I hope she posts in my hip hop thread more).

She doesn't make your heart go a-boom boom boom boom boom eh oy? :(

Eboney's a she? Learn something new every day.

:glare:

Eminem vs. Tupac, Lupe Fiasco vs. Drake, Kid Cudi vs. Lupe, Eazy E vs. Eminem. Just a few suggestions that could be somewhat even. Just to keep in mind once you run out of battles.

1) Lulz. Everyone has mostly mentioned lyrics and flow when picking Meth over X. "FUCK YOU! YOU ***! SUCK MY DICK!" of Em isn't ANY where near the way Pac was almost zen like when he was rapping about shit that actually matter and/or talking about pimpin' dem hoes :)p).

2) I've been burying Wayne for being shit because he is shit.. I will give him credit tho.. At least he ain't Drake.

3) Don't know much about either guy, can someone suggest something?

4) I think Eazy's sounds very dated (listening to Boyz n the hood as I type this). Not necessary a bad thing, but I think it would be more leveled if he was up against someone from that same time frame. Kinda like in wrestling debates, you really shouldn't bring up shit from 15 yeas ago when being pro or con something or someone much more relevant. Big Daddy Kane comes to mind. :p

I can listen to a little Nicki. Her verse on Monster was impressive to me. There's this chick (not sure how known she is) called Kanary Diamonds who I like better, but I could never find anything from her, just some verses on a couple songs by The Game and a song called "Who Dat".

1) Lulz. Everyone has mostly mentioned lyrics and flow when picking Meth over X. "FUCK YOU! YOU ***! SUCK MY DICK!" of Em isn't ANY where near the way Pac was almost zen like when he was rapping about shit that actually matter and/or talking about pimpin' dem hoes :)p).

Yeah, they kind of contrast. As much as I love Em, I'd end up going for Tupac. I really can't argue against that.

2) I've been burying Wayne for being shit because he is shit.. I will give him credit tho.. At least he ain't Drake.

I've always like Drake better. It might have something to do with the fact his voice doesn't suck. And I like Degrassi. But I've always found him easier to listen to.

I'll post videos of each here soon.

4) I think Eazy's sounds very dated (listening to Boyz n the hood as I type this). Not necessary a bad thing, but I think it would be more leveled if he was up against someone from that same time frame. Kinda like in wrestling debates, you really shouldn't bring up shit from 15 yeas ago when being pro or con something or someone much more relevant. Big Daddy Kane comes to mind. :p

Yeah, but I'd like to debate some older vs. newer stuff.

Sadly no, she's hot, but the gibberish parts she does at times just floors me. When she's actually just straight rapping, she's pretty good, but Lady of Rage and Lauryn Hill are still my two favorite female MC's.

Honestly I was not anticipating using 2pac because simply put, he'd walk over anyone that I throw him against (except maybe Nas, but even Nas wanted nothing to do with a feud with Pac)

:lmao: Ah yes, Mr. Last name ever, first name lamest.

Cudi is on some weird slowdown trippy shit, Lupe's latest album sucked, but his previous albums were fire.

Eazy's sound is very dated, in fact he sounded like a rapper that came around prior to Rakim shaking the ground and creating intricate rhyme schemes, and this was AFTER Rakim came out. Not only that but Eazy couldn't write rhymes for shit, thus why Cube always wrote em down for him. I think Eazy against another old school artist will be more feasible.

Just for that, I am gonna post some Nicki songs I think demonstrated that she can do a song without a silly accent or gibberish. :p

( the audio on this one is a little loud if you play it)

[YOUTUBE]1pRRxe1AWVE[/YOUTUBE]

(She mostly raps fast in this one)

[YOUTUBE]V9CuQ6E9Uss[/YOUTUBE]

(Outside of Monster, this is my favorite feature of her)

[YOUTUBE]DQ0bbw4j4FQ[/YOUTUBE]

I think she is the best part of the song if she is featured.. So, I would totally understand if someone thought she was a better feature artist than solo act. But I love most of her songs since going "pop." :p

And quickie for Ty.. are there like known names for different rap flows? I said she rapped fast in Envy, just wondering if that is the right wording. :)

I don't get the hate on Drake, I don't think he is as bad as Wayne is these days.

Here is some Cudi:

[YOUTUBE]R_6pJHae-SQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]9qZ-BvpYNG8[/YOUTUBE]

And Lupe:

[YOUTUBE]JyLLmByA6Y0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]44cMs8DvT4o[/YOUTUBE]

And quickie for Ty.. are there like known names for different rap flows? I said she rapped fast in Envy, just wondering if that is the right wording. :)

There are different names for different styles.

Fast = Rapid Fire, Spit fire, Midwest flow (where the quick tongue rapping originated), rapping fast, it all works.

Here's an example that I really like to use:

Otherwise flow is just the artist's pitch/tone, their ability to switch up said pitch/tone for the nature of the beat, and how they wrap their rhymes together to the beat. Typically every rapper has a different flow, it's how they interpret the beat and what note they go off of for the end of the rhyme. You could take four different rappers and give them all the same beat, and end up with four distinct flows, the structures completely different. That's often times why newer groups like Slaughterhouse where they developed their flows and structures individually sound so distinct, and something like NWA could sound a bit dated because they developed that flow and structure together. There's nothing wrong with having a group style of structure, often times you'll be able to synchronize better as a collective on the track.

There are various ways to categorize an artist's flow, but often times you'll just throw that artist into the region or style that many other artists are in. It's a bit unfair, for example, Chamillionaire and Trae are both lumped in the same category typically, but only because they're both from Houston. Flow wise they are nowhere near the same. Cham's structure for his rhyming is often the same on every track. What I mean by that is he punctuates the last word of his rhymes, whereas Trae has a quicker pace, can slow it down, but the end of his rhymes don't punctuate and often the rhymes flow into one another. I hope that made sense.

thanks for edumacating me Ty. I would've rep'd ya but I have to share the love a little bit. haha :)

And I listened to those Cudi and Lupe songs. I can see why they are comparable. All of the songs sorta blended in my head. Just came across as flat and monotonous. Tho, I thought I hear some Sade in Mojo So Dope. But more importantly, what the fuck kind of name is that? Was homeboy watching the Powderpuff Girls when he wrote that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back