Ty Burna's All Hip Hop Thread

The Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers LP are classics. The Eminem Show and Recovery are great albums. MMLP2 is good, Relapse is solid, and Encore fucking blows. So based on what you are already downloading you should at least download Recovery as well.

So I'm gonna try something new here. We've done shit like this in the past, and I'm going to attempt to do this on the daily, if not every other day. If y'all wanna jump in and do it too, by all means.

Basically what I'm looking at is we all know the classics. Shit my main playlist is chocked full of them. But what about those older songs that maybe y'all forgot? Or shit, for most of us, maybe too young to really know about them? In this day and age we have the history of hip hop at our very finger tips, all we gotta do is crack open the book to read and learn from it. What I'm looking for is songs that aren't from the legends. We talk about the likes of Biggie, Pac, Nas, NWA, and so on so often that we should damn near have their entire catalogs memorized by heart by now. I'm going to try my damnest to throw up some songs that might bring you back and be like, whoa, it's been a fucking minute since I heard this.

First song on the list, I actually heard this track a minute ago on Krayzie's radio show he does every week and it's what got me thinking about this. They were talking about the history of hip hop and actually had Smooth B on for an interview. So this is Nice & Smooth - Sometimes I Rhyme Slow:

Nice & Smooth had some real nice flows, thus the name of the group obviously. What's cool about this track though is the story and the message that they spin in a song that's less then 3 minutes. You can hear Smooth B's frustration when he's telling the story about his girl that he tried to help get off cocaine, and yet every time he tried to let her go she came back around and he couldn't say no. I had a girl like that without the cocaine problem where she kept coming back around and even though I knew that it was trouble and it'd end up terribly every time, I still let her back in my life. Just to kind of put a personal thought on it I suppose.

Any way, I know we got some younger cats, shit I'm 26 myself I'm not exactly picking out grave sites yet or anything, but let's get away from the negative aspect that's become so prevalent lately when discussing hip hop. Let's celebrate some of the forgotten tracks and maybe bring up some of the lesser chapters of hip hop's history. If through this y'all even get one song that you've never heard that gets added to your own personal playlist, I feel like it'd be a success. So if y'all got some tracks that you want to bring up that may not be remembered, by all means, let's get this thread popping.

I've recently looked more into Top Dawg Entertainment's new talent, Isaiah Rashad. I was pretty underwhelmed with his verse on TDE's BET cypher and just really never was intrigued enough to listen to his pre-TDE material. However, on a whim, I watched his interview with Sway and came away much more interested in him.

In January, he released his first TDE project, The Cilvia Demo EP. After about two weeks of playing this EP from track to track, I am now definitely on riding the Isaiah Rashad wave. His flow has such a chill vibe. Lyrically, he's clever and can tell a descriptive story; doesn't rely on punchlines or references, but uses them occasionally and to perfection. As I mentioned, I love his flow, it's seriously infectious - just has me bobbing my head without even being conscious about it. Also, the beat selections are another strong point; he's got great taste.

Hip hop fans, give him a listen. See if you're as high on him as I am. I do see some traits that won't work for some listeners and I can understand different tastes. But as to how it relates to me, I am loving his music and definitely looking forward to watching his career unfold.

[youtube]yCsAbEI9Ma8[/youtube]

I strongly recommend:

"RIP Kevin Miller" @ 7:37
"Soliloquy" @ 17:32
"Heavenly Father" @ 30:18

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member