Ty Burna's All Hip Hop Thread

Dizzy Right is on the same level as Tupac? I disagree. Let him put in the amount of work Tupac has before he can be compared to one of the greatest and iconic rappers of all time. Even Macklemore someone who's gotten popular, Guy has been rapping since 2000, His rise wasn't so quick.

Also Hip-Hop fans, when addressing artists who talk about thought provoking subject matter don't use the word "real". Artists who talk about, money, cars and, clothes are just as "real" as the ones who don't, since the latter exists in real life also. Bubblegum rap serves its purpose. Not everyone can play NY State of Mind at a party. Hip-Hop started as party music.

Dizzy Right is on the same level as Tupac? I disagree. Let him put in the amount of work Tupac has before he can be compared to one of the greatest and iconic rappers of all time. Even Macklemore someone who's gotten popular, Guy has been rapping since 2000, His rise wasn't so quick.

Also Hip-Hop fans, when addressing artists who talk about thought provoking subject matter don't use the word "real". Artists who talk about, money, cars and, clothes are just as "real" as the ones who don't, since the latter exists in real life also. Bubblegum rap serves its purpose. Not everyone can play NY State of Mind at a party. Hip-Hop started as party music.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I never said he was on the same level as Tupac as a whole. I personally don't think few if any are.

I was just saying that the grittiness and rawness of his lyrics and message is in the same range. To me, he speaks on a level that not many are on.

I see. I'm glad to see the Hip-Hop thread back up, enjoyed the discussions that went on here. Anyone interested in bring back Ty Burna's Weekly Rap Battles?

Wow, I had no idea this thread existed, and I'm upset I realized so late. I would have definitely made the effort to post here more often.

Has anyone completed Magna Carta Holy Grail, Jay-Z's latest project? Of course not Reasonable Doubt or Blueprint quality, but there are some definitely standout tracks in there, Somewhere in America being one of them. The only guest rapper on the album, Rick Ross, gives an average verse. Not Devil in a New Dress status, but still decent. Overall, the album isn't my favorite Hov has come out with and it didn't live up to the hype, but Jay can do no wrong. Any hiphop lover has got to check it out.

I read all the time that American Gangster is among Jay-Z's classics, I just don't see it. Mind telling me some standout tracks? It didn't really earn any replay value from me.

A co-worker was gonna let me sample MCHG, but there's only maybe 4 or 5 songs Jay Z put out that I liked. However she did send me a link to a freestyle he did with Big L back in '95. Other than that, I'm bout to go back in time and get the first two Jungle Brothers albums. I've been on that kinda kick lately.

That's a hard question to answer. Trying to narrow down the GOAT could take forever. I will omit Biggie and 2pac being that they seem to be the go-to artists of Hip-Hop. As far as story telling goes, first person that comes to mind is Chef Raekwon. I'd advise anyone to check out "Only Built for Cuban Linx"; it's a classic not full of a lot of filler. Now one of my all time favorite MC's is Guru. I got all of Gang Starr's studio albums and the Jazzmatazz series, so I'd recommend getting Full Clip and Best of Jazzmatazz, respectively.

Interesting answer, and not a very popular one. When it comes to the Wu, people usually say Ghostface or Method Man are the superior rappers of the group. Gang Starr is incredible and I honestly believe Moment of Truth is an essential album to listen to.

Now, when it comes to story telling, my guy is The Notorious B.I.G. Big's lyricism matched with his flawless flow gets me hypnotized (no pun intended) from start to finish of every sng I've heard from him. However, my #1 MC of all time, although may sound cliche, is Kanye West. West is responsible for a majority of hits in recent memory, in hip hop and in music itself. His track record with albums doesn't have a blemish on it, and he is one of the most influential people in music. I take a more modern approach, as you can tell, and although I like Rakim, Nas, and all the other GOAT nominees, West does it for me.

Anyone ever looked into Atmosphere? In my top three artists/bands/groups of all time.

Couple tracks I'd recommend.
[YOUTUBE]Qlr1H_iV6qs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]15RZ5j0CNrc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]TSD5wuLKjbA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]X2itjJT4hsE[/YOUTUBE]

Anyone ever looked into Atmosphere? In my top three artists/bands/groups of all time.

Couple tracks I'd recommend.
[YOUTUBE]Qlr1H_iV6qs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]15RZ5j0CNrc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]TSD5wuLKjbA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]X2itjJT4hsE[/YOUTUBE]

Been listening to Atmosphere for a good 8 years now. Slug can be great on the mic, his older stuff is his best work. Between God Loves Ugly, Seven Travels, and You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having, I would say that was probably when he was at his best. I haven't been as big of a fan of their last two albums however, seems like they lost something on those two albums.

Slug's got some serious lyrical ability, and a great delivery. Ant seems to go in spurts with his production. He's produced some incredible albums including Felt (Slug and Murs) - A Tribute to Lisa Bonet. However it seems like he's strayed way too far into standard instrumentation which I don't mind (see: The Roots) but I think going that route doesn't utilize his strengths to their full advantage, and it's likely why I haven't been as crazy about Atmosphere's past two albums as the three that preceded them.

Been listening to Atmosphere for a good 8 years now. Slug can be great on the mic, his older stuff is his best work. Between God Loves Ugly, Seven Travels, and You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having, I would say that was probably when he was at his best. I haven't been as big of a fan of their last two albums however, seems like they lost something on those two albums.

Slug's got some serious lyrical ability, and a great delivery. Ant seems to go in spurts with his production. He's produced some incredible albums including Felt (Slug and Murs) - A Tribute to Lisa Bonet. However it seems like he's strayed way too far into standard instrumentation which I don't mind (see: The Roots) but I think going that route doesn't utilize his strengths to their full advantage, and it's likely why I haven't been as crazy about Atmosphere's past two albums as the three that preceded them.

Can't go wrong with Felt, though the first two albums are far superior to the third installment for Rosie Perez. Heard a little bit of Atmosphere, but not much. Another underground artist to check out is Moka Only. The Airport series is good, along with Lowdown Suite.

I read all the time that American Gangster is among Jay-Z's classics, I just don't see it. Mind telling me some standout tracks? It didn't really earn any replay value from me.

American Gangster is probably my favourite Jay album, I can understand why some wouldn't see it the same way, but I could still go back and listen to that now, and feel it's a huge album. Idris Elba on the intro too, got a lot of time for that.

I came here to let anyone interested know Chamillionaire has just dropped a new EP - he's done a few on the lead up to his next album Poision, but this is a huge one, after a few listens, it could be my favourite of the three. For anyone interested, he's thrown it up on SoundCloud, YouTube and all that, would definitely recommend giving it a listen. It's not often I post, but this has inspired me enough to throw that in here.

Gucci Mane is dropping three mixtapes this month. Say what you want, the dude is one of the hardest workers in the game. His goal is to drop 13 projects in the year 2013, he's 6 in. On August 13th, after his 3 mixtapes drop on the same day, he'll have 4 more left to complete his goal.

Kendrick Lamar has put his name in the Twitter trends and on minds of his peers with a single verse. The verse is featured on a Big Sean song entitled Control, a track that did not make his recent album. Kendrick's particular verse is making waves because, while he delivered an extremely hot verse throughout, it was a buildup to him issuing a friendly reminder to his peers that he is the ultimate competitor in the game right now. He calls out several of the top names in rap by name and informs them he loves them, they're his friends, but he does not want them to have more success than him, and he is better than them.

[youtube]in7CFUZIgtw[/youtube]

Not many artists would have the fortitude to do what Kendrick did, but to me it's a breath of fresh air. Kendrick hammers the topic of competition which is what the game needs. This could call for a change of attitude in rap in result in some strong material in the future. Of course, I don't believe this verse will cause any beef between Kendrick and those he mentioned in his lyrics, although, it may cause a beef between Kendrick and those he didn't mention as he basically named off the guys that he considers the best right now and his only competition.

The hype around this verse may die down and be forgotten about, nothing resulting from it. Ultimately, it is still a strong verse from one of the hottest rappers in the game supporting my claim that Kendrick has potential to be this generation's best rapper.

Kendrick Lamar sucks, as does every rapper he mentioned.

The only really good young rappers out there are in the battle rap scene, and none of these mainstream clowns would dare mention any of their names on record.

tumblr_mrhhspCla31renanco5_400.png

The game shook up.

Kendrick Lamar claims he is the King of New York. In a different era with a different scene, in an era where E-40 once had the opportunity to kill B.I.G., 2pac and Hov, K.Dot would have been slain minutes after leaving the booth. Thankfully, this ugly part of the industry I love is over. This beef isn't real beef, which may or may not be a good thing. One thing is clear, Kendrick certainly lit the flame that was needed for the genre nowadays. I love it the same as it was years ago, but this was well needed. The strive to be the best is now in these rapper's minds, and competition often brings out the best in people.

The only really good young rappers out there are in the battle rap scene, and none of these mainstream clowns would dare mention any of their names on record.

Considering Kendrick Lamar has been cited by many as the hottest MC in the game, the word "sucks" might be a hyperbole here. However, I don't think you're serious, as the dismissal of "mainstream" rap is only used when people who don't know hip-hop try to talk hip-hop. I think I've seen you post in this thread before, so please let me know if you are being serious, as I would like to discuss your comments with you. If not, forgive me for my sarcasm detector being broken.

Considering Kendrick Lamar has been cited by many as the hottest MC in the game, the word "sucks" might be a hyperbole here. However, I don't think you're serious, as the dismissal of "mainstream" rap is only used when people who don't know hip-hop try to talk hip-hop. I think I've seen you post in this thread before, so please let me know if you are being serious, as I would like to discuss your comments with you. If not, forgive me for my sarcasm detector being broken.

One of the hottest MC's of this era doesn't impress me at all. This era of rap is awful. Kendrick's album getting compared to Illmatic made me sick to my stomach. And I went into that album with zero expectations, hoping to love it. But I only really dug one song. The guy is really, really overrated, same goes for J. Cole and Wale.

Also, I'm dismissal towards modern mainstream rap. These guys are jokes who collaborate with trash like Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber on a regular basis. Lupe Fiasco is the only rap artist from this generation who has my respect, and even he's been in the game for a good while now so to even put him in this generation may be a false statement.

That said, I keep an open mind to everything I listen to; it's not my fault these new guys continue to let me down with their garbage.

And to prove my point about battle rappers... Hitman Holla on Twitter said he's going to rap on Control and I guarantee he kills Kendrick Lamar's verse. Hitman is barely a top 10 Battle rap artist, yet watch how he comes off that track if he's not trolling us and really goes through with it.

I'm a big Kendrick Lamar fan, even as a fairly picky fan of hip hop. The first song of his I heard was A.D.H.D. and fell in love with the track immediately. Kendrick and Schoolboy Q are probably my two favorites out of the "new generation" if you will. good kid, m.a.a.d. city was a stellar album from top to bottom in my mind, and I believe was my album of the year in 2012. As we speak I got it blasting on my speakers.

In regards to the aforementioned verse, I would say it was a pretty solid verse, but it's nothing that blew my mind or anything like that. That would have gotten him eaten alive back in the 90's. Thing is it was aimed at rappers and yes we haven't heard a diss track/verse like that in some time, but tons of rappers 15 years ago could do that, without naming names and absolutely murdering the beat. Kendrick didn't really do anything spectacular with the name dropping. He put himself alongside Jay-Z and Nas. Everyone tries to do that. The big thing with this is the shock value of the verse, but looking at it he dissed rappers that are below him as it is already. It's not like he was some lower tier rapper dissing the top guys to make a name for himself. In my eyes he's already above them. Again, what Kendrick did was nothing new in the rap game, it's just that nowadays rappers have become best friends rather than trying to outdo the other. It's the Lebron James vs. Michael Jordan argument. Jordan wanted to beat his rivals, Lebron joined up with his to win a title.

Bun B spoke on it and said that every rapper should be like that, wanting to murder everyone on the mic. I like the moxie Kendrick showed on this track, but it shouldn't be this explosion of reaction that it has reached. This was standard fair for quite some time. Plus I wasn't digging Kendrick's voice on the track as his usual stuff. It kind of fucked up the smooth flow that he has in exchange for a gruffer angrier tone that doesn't really work all that well for him.

Also when was the last time the King of New York even meant anything? Maybe when Nas and Hova were beefing? So what? 12 years ago it meant something? Little late in the game to be claiming that title when no one's given a fuck about it for over a decade.

In regards to the aforementioned verse, I would say it was a pretty solid verse, but it's nothing that blew my mind or anything like that.

This. He was on point for the most part but he didn't really do or say anything to separate himself from anyone else who can record a simple, solid verse.

I also really hate how he's been putting "blood" in his voice lately. He did it on the track he did with Tech on his new album and I hated it too. It was totally unnecessary. That verse, by the way, was better than this one.

Lupe Fiasco is the only rap artist from this generation who has my respect

I forgot Childish Gambino. His debut album was spectacular. I'm reminded of him because I just saw that a song dropped today where he did a verse on garbage ass, represents everything that is wrong with rap today Trinidad James mixtape that was simply stellar. Fast forward to 4:24...

[YOUTUBE]FhMJPKH36YQ[/YOUTUBE]

To me, Kendrick stands out among all those he mentioned because..well, he's better. Kendrick is the most impressive mainstream rapper in the game right now. I believe he's got the full package as a rapper and to this point in my young life is the most exciting artist I've been able to follow from an early point in their career.

But let me ask you: what is it about Kendrick in particular that has made you conclude that he's bad? More specifically, do you think his lyrical a content is weak, he can't mix up his rhyme patterns, he doesn't approach beats correctly? I think he nails each of these things, but we are listening with two different set of ears. I'm just intrigued to hear more specifically why you think Kendrick is terrible when I on then otherhand find him to be phenomenal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back