The 4-sided ring vs 6-sided ring Discussion thread

I think this was a great decision. I couldn't stand that six sided ring. I hardly ever watch TNA and the ring was the main reason why. It looked very minor league to me. I may actually watch more TNA now because of this.

Hey there everybody! As you know(at least I hope), Tna, now because of Hogan, has a 4 sided ring instead of the usual 6 sided ring that I personally thought made tna what it is today(apart from the amazing wrestlers), I really liked the 6 sided ring, it was innovative and different compared to the usual 4 sided ring that you would pretty much see the whole time.

And I know it's just a difference in rings but I'm going to miss the 6 sided ring, and now they've also gotten rid of the 6 sides of steel, and now it's just going to be 4 sides of steel, which to me doesn't seem as interesting cause it's just a steel cage match, 6 sides of steel was tna's creation, and now it's gone.

I don't know, maybe i'm thinking too much about it, but it's just how I feel, what about everyone else? How do ye feel about it?

Yeah man, I feel the same way. I thought it was bull to change it to the 4...I liked the 6 it was different and very exclusive to TNA. I think Hogan and Bischoff think going to 4 sides will make TNA more mainstream, but I dont see it that way. I'm affraid that eventually WWE is going to acknowledge TNA as they become more mainstream and WWE will buy TNA like they did with WCW...and if that happens I probably won't even watch wrestling anymore. I can't stand WWE, the writers and producers are just so stupid...way too much predictability in WWE. same crap over and over. same boring characters. enough is enough. I hope TNA is there to stay, changes or no changes.

This is just stupid, why on earth would Hogan want a 4-sided ring, chances are he'll only actually wrestle in it once or twice.

The worse part about this is that TNA wrestlers had no idea this was coming, they just found out when they walked into the arena. that sorta makes it hard to know what they're doing in the ring, if the PPV matches are sub-par
it's all hogans Fault.

With a 4-sided ring, it makes you think if hogan actually just wants it to be another WWE.

I think the only people who were comfortable in the 6-sides were the smaller guys. The X-division athletes. All the bigger guys seem to be very tentative and looking around for where their marks are, and some of the natural flow seemed missing when they were in there.

I would rather see the 6 sides and smaller wrestlers stay and Hogan and his cronies, and the four sides, go.

Just my 2 cents.

Hogan absolutely wants it to be another WWE, no question. He and Dixie Carter are looking to take this mainstream, and he believes the 4 sided ring will help, where he obviously thought the six sided ring was detracting. I don't know what to say about this. I never liked the six sided ring, I thought it was too gimmicky. But, I understand that a lot TNA fans loved it, so I get that side of it. I think the six sided ring made it look a big minor league, but I think Hogan needs to be careful in making so many changes so quickly. The last thing he should want to do is alienate the fans TNA actually has.

6 sides never had a strong look or feel to me. Everyone here has seen a match where in that ring someone does a irish whip or works the ropes some kinda way and the runner has to adjust his steps to find a rope to bounce off of. That simple act alone kills legitimacy to me. Great matches took place in the 6 sides but gimme the 4 sides with functionality and history!

Yeah, screw the crowd, those dirty smarks! Who cares what the paying audience wants to see! Oh wait....

If the crowd 'put it's tail between it's legs and ran away', it must be a very boring (and quiet) show now.

Everyone is always so quick with a derogatory term whenever someone disagrees with them. Smark this, Smark that. Every wrestling fan who doesn't enjoy every single aspect of the product is a 'smark'. My attitude is, if you're in the business of entertainment and your income is dependent on the audience, then you should probably listen to what they say, at least a little bit.

Did Hogan and Bischoff do some market research to determine if TNA's audience or wrestling fans in general would prefer a 6 sided ring? Has anyone? Has there ever been any evidence whatsoever that the number of sides in the ring directly relates to the success of the product? Of course not. EY and Hogan did it because they prefer a 4 sided ring, plain and simple. And the fans in attendance (the only ones who they are in a position to get direct feedback from) didn't care for it. But screw them....they're smarks anyways.

I have to say that making it 6 sides to begin with was a fun little gimmick, but one which ultimately wasn't going to be very "game-changing" or all that exciting.

Changing it now is just too late, I say.

And doing it now with the huge influx of WCW Nitro---I mean, former WCW and WWE/WWF guys just sends the totally wrong message. It's just about the worst possible timing, in my view, short of actually re-naming Impact "Nitro" and moving it to Monday nights permanently.

The smarks likely weren't bitching about the ring change because it's out of the ordinary and not what they're used to so much as they feel it's a step down TO the ordinary---everyone does four-sided rings (except AAA, I think), and six-sided ring is something special TNA has. They didn't start with it, but changing it now, under the sharp aura of WCW, is monumentally poor timing.

And it wouldn't mess up any of the matches mentioned above--- "Six Sides of Steel" will just have to be re-named, and a normal cage be used. The rest only needed four columns to stack their poles on.

The only MAJOR thing I felt that was really really wrong was not telling anybody within the company of this change.

I think it's the height of disrespect and irresponsibility to create a massive change such as that without telling any of the wrestlers, considering that it's THEIR asses on the line that have to work in that ring. At best, it's thoughtless and inconsiderate of the wrestlers' opinions, and at worst, it's COMPLETE DISREGARD FOR THE HEALTH AND WELL-BEING OF THE WRESTLERS.

Consider that these TNA guys have spent the past several years wrestling a six sided ring, and have been booked to wrestle matches in a six-sided ring. All of a sudden they show up at the arena and that six sided ring is now a four sided ring. They don't have a week to re-adjust themselves like WWE guys would have before coming to TNA, they have LESS THAN A DAY.

If these TNA guys (and former WWE/WCW guys) weren't the absolute best talent in the world (or the absolute laziest pieces of shit---looking at you Hall, Nash, Waltman), they'd probably fuck up a great deal, or even get injured at some point, having their minds spinning from a hard bump, forgetting it's four sided, and ramming into a turnbuckle at full speed where they thought there would be ropes, and breaking their sternum.

It's not the six-sided ring that made TNA look bushleague---it's SUDDENLY CHANGING IT without a fucking thought of sending a memo out to the wrestlers beforehand that makes them look bushleague.

I think this was a great decision. I couldn't stand that six sided ring. I hardly ever watch TNA and the ring was the main reason why. It looked very minor league to me. I may actually watch more TNA now because of this.

Constantly you hear.. TNA sucks why cant they have a four sided ring..
We'll then.. since TNA has given into Hogan constant whining TNA has lost a big characteristic. And if TNA haters cant come up with anything against TNA other than the shape of the ring, then this should satisfy all of you. Now there is no reason why WWE fans cant switch over.. NO REASON

Its only a matter of time till hogan says.. ENOUGH OF THE CHILD PLAY what is dees x division? no its cruiserweight.. i want that old crusty man out of TNA.. He's also going to say stop wrestling so good, stop jumping so high, stop pulling off your awsome finishers.

Andhariel Halo: You make some very nice points, man. The number of sides in the ring is completely irrelevant. All that matters is worker safety and giving the audience what it want's to see. TNA seems to have disregarded both, in this case.

Eh.. Right now I kinda feel neutral about it. Though sometimes I kinda find the six sided kinda stiff when they fall and bounce off the ropes but at the same time it kinda grew on me. Usually when I hear TNA the first thing that comes to mind is the six sided ring. Well I guess this is good bye to the six sides of steel and I'm kinda curious on how they'll play some of their gimmick matches.

Well with the 4 sided ring, I guess you can say that it's kinda uhhh WWE-ish. But you gotta consider that wrestling was born on the 4 sided ring. With this move, it can either make or break TNA. They might lose some of their fans that's kinda anti WWE or they can bring in some new fans who prefers the traditional squared circle. We'll see how this plays out in the coming weeks before I really give my take on it.

maybe its not all over yet. ive been thinking that hogan is jst screwing around, but i read a post a few weeks ago and it was about a convertible ring. maybe that is true and hogan is jst fucking with us

4 sides SUCKS!!! Hogan is full of shit just as much as Bischoff, I can't wait til Jarret takes his company back. some changes are good, but this is just ridiculous!! TNA had the 6 sides for a good reason it was stupid as hell to change it.

All wrestlers started up or start up and training in a 4 corner ring. So, while 6 sides was TNA, doing away with it seems ok to me and won't affect in ring performances. Lost is that so called TNA charm, but give it a month and people won't think much of it. Hell, I already don't.

I hate to say it, but the smarky fans in TNA and the Impact Zone are going to have to suck it up. This is what HAS to transpire in order or the company to be taken more seriously. Otherwise, it looks like a second-rate wrestling side show.

This is something where the smarks are wrong, and Hogan and Bischoff are right. And that plain and simply is something they are just going to have to live with.

TNA is bound to attract more people with this move then they are to lose people. Hell, this will definitely appeal MORE towards the WWE fans, as well .... which obviously is another of TNA's goals. And my guess is that the TNA fans will bitch and whine, but they will get used to it.

Agree 100%. This move HAD to take place. Honestly, that 6-sided crap is one of the reasons I didnt tune in as much as I have. Just take a look at how some of the spots are performed with that ring. A move as simple as an irish whip looked odd. The damn ropes were so tight, when someone would bounce off, they weren't really bouncing at all. You could get the same affect by just running toward a brick wall, touching it, and running back. Plus, the six sides was just too, cheap looking. It was not innovative, not ground-breaking, just dumb.
Lord Sid is correct that TNA is bound to attract more people. Like it or not, wrestling HAS to have a standard 4-sided ring. They have been doing it for decades, and there is no REAL reason it needed to be changed. I am pumped that Hogan and TNA has made this move. It WILL get me to try and tune in every week!

I liked the 6 sided ring, it wont make or break me watching TNA but I liked the 6 sides. but here is a chance to see if hogan is being honest when he says he will listen to the crowd, the live crowd showed that they prefer the 6 sides, we will see if he brings it back

Not sure. I always thought that the six sides was unique and gave the wrestlers a lot more freedom of motion. I watch both companies and am getting concerned that Hogan et al. are going to turn TNA into a mini-me clone of the WWE which is not what they need. They need things that make them stand out and the 6 sided ring did that. USP (unique selling proposition) is what they need. If not then I fear the Vine and Co. will swallow them. Which would be bad for the fans.

Now the overall product and wrestling is still miles ahead of WWE, especially the Knockouts Division, as they look like they're trying to KILL each other out there.

How's this for understatement of the year! TNA has been a mini-me clone of the WWE for a while now, and it's only going to get worse with Hogan and Bischoff in charge, trying to go head to head with the giant.

Constantly signing WWE cast-offs. Getting away from a wrestling-based organization and more into a storyline-based group. TNA has been WWE-lite for some time now. Rather than developing from within, establishing their own identity and thus building their own loyal fan-base, they are trying to fast-track it too soon against the WWE. 6 to 4 sides for their ring is just another example of this.

BTW, if all people have to worry about is the number of sides of the ring, rather than the product performing inside it, maybe TNA's problems are worse than expected.

First of all, basing whether or not you'll watch a show on the number of sides of the ring is kind of ridiculous. Would you stop watching WWE if they debuted a 6 sided ring? Would you start/stop watching UFC if they started using a 4 sider?

Second, there's no evidence that the number of sides on the ring have anything to do with ratings. TNA used to have a 4 sider, as I recall. If that was the key to wrestling success, than TNA would have been more popular back then.

It really just comes down to asthetic preference. Personally, I preferred the 6 sider. I don't care if they change it, as it won't stop me from watching. But I think changing it without warning the talent and against the protest of the fans (the ones who keep the show on the air with their support) is a stupid move.

Good god, where is all of this "I never watched TNA because they had a six sided ring!" sentiment coming from?? It's the equivalent of me saying I wouldn't watch the WWE because of the color of the ring apron.

The 6 sides was different, but it never brought anything different to wrestling. IT was just eye candy. I for one was never impressed with it, and as it would seem 6 sides didn't make casual wrestling fans watch TNA.

So how can you people defend something that clearly didn't change wrestling or make people start watching TNA to begin with?

How's this for understatement of the year! TNA has been a mini-me clone of the WWE for a while now, and it's only going to get worse with Hogan and Bischoff in charge, trying to go head to head with the giant.

Constantly signing WWE cast-offs. Getting away from a wrestling-based organization and more into a storyline-based group. TNA has been WWE-lite for some time now. Rather than developing from within, establishing their own identity and thus building their own loyal fan-base, they are trying to fast-track it too soon against the WWE. 6 to 4 sides for their ring is just another example of this.

BTW, if all people have to worry about is the number of sides of the ring, rather than the product performing inside it, maybe TNA's problems are worse than expected.

could you please explain to me how TNA is suppossed to grow as a company if they dont hire "WWE cast-offs"? if they never did the only person they would have that was an even slightly recognizable face would be Jeff Jarret, and one man can not build a company, it takes multitudes of ppl and ideas. If Jeff was the one putting over all the stars it would get really because Jeff losing to other talent would completely ruin Jeff Jarretts credibility as a wrestler which would slowly make him unable to build talent through fueds with him. "WWE Cast-Offs" are necessary to build talent, because unknowns can only do so much for other unknowns.

'I refuse to watch Smackdown because they use too much blue.'

That's how ridiculous and petty those six sides 'haters' sound. It was a damn ring. It actually set TNA apart in my opinion. I'm not liking Bischoff or Hogan too much right now, so this is just another small thing.

The 6 sides was different, but it never brought anything different to wrestling. IT was just eye candy. I for one was never impressed with it, and as it would seem 6 sides didn't make casual wrestling fans watch TNA.

So how can you people defend something that clearly didn't change wrestling or make people start watching TNA to begin with?

I disagree with u. No the ring itself cannot change things and it didnt change wrestling but it made ppl stop while flipping through channels, they see the six sided rign and now see hogan standing in it. This makes them think "hmm what is this?" they will stay or not depending on the quality of the product its self the 6 sides is just an attention getter. You are right no ring can change wrestling, but it did get casual fans to watch TNA even if it was just casually.

Yeah, screw the crowd, those dirty smarks! Who cares what the paying audience wants to see! Oh wait....

If the crowd 'put it's tail between it's legs and ran away', it must be a very boring (and quiet) show now.

Everyone is always so quick with a derogatory term whenever someone disagrees with them. Smark this, Smark that. Every wrestling fan who doesn't enjoy every single aspect of the product is a 'smark'. My attitude is, if you're in the business of entertainment and your income is dependent on the audience, then you should probably listen to what they say, at least a little bit.

Did Hogan and Bischoff do some market research to determine if TNA's audience or wrestling fans in general would prefer a 6 sided ring? Has anyone? Has there ever been any evidence whatsoever that the number of sides in the ring directly relates to the success of the product? Of course not. EY and Hogan did it because they prefer a 4 sided ring, plain and simple. And the fans in attendance (the only ones who they are in a position to get direct feedback from) didn't care for it. But screw them....they're smarks anyways.

Dude you obviously are not watching the show so how can you say anything? If you were watching the show you would know that what I meant is that the smark chants died down, and they ended up going back to enjoying the show.

What I am saying is that there are smarks at shows, and sometimes the workers are afraid to address them. This is why some people sometimes say smarks ruin the show...that is because we are used to seeing the smarks rant and chant without the workers acknowledging them. Hogan acknowledged them, and basically told them that this is the direction the company is going in. You may not like it now, but it is good for the long run.

You have no idea what you're talking about and need to at some point watch the promo I'm talking about if it ever makes its way to the net, and you'll see it was a great way to introduce the 4 sided ring. TNA is now officially competition. That 6 sided ring was a joke.

Edit: Kurt Angle vs Aj Styles for the first time in the 4 sided ring is there best match ever. Wow it looks so damn good. They are doing things that couldn't be done in the 6 sided ring because of the angles they had to work with.

damned if they did, damned if they didn't. Overall, it's probably for the best they got rid of the 6 sided ring in order to be taken seriously, but it gave them their own unique flavor.

could you please explain to me how TNA is suppossed to grow as a company if they dont hire "WWE cast-offs"? if they never did the only person they would have that was an even slightly recognizable face would be Jeff Jarret, and one man can not build a company, it takes multitudes of ppl and ideas. If Jeff was the one putting over all the stars it would get really because Jeff losing to other talent would completely ruin Jeff Jarretts credibility as a wrestler which would slowly make him unable to build talent through fueds with him. "WWE Cast-Offs" are necessary to build talent, because unknowns can only do so much for other unknowns.

Sure, that's an easy one to explain. I'm not suggesting that they don't sign any WWE cast-offs, I'm merely suggesting that they don't hire cast-off after cast-off after cast-off, to the point whereby they forget about the talent that they have been trying to develop from within for the last seven years.

Focus on AJ, Joe, Daniels, Abyss, Sting, Beer Money, etc.,. Rather than over the last two weeks, bringing in Kennedy (and having him beat Abyss), Morley (and having him beat Daniels), Hardy (who you know is going to get pushed to the moon). Bringing in Hogan, Bischoff, Flair, Moore, Jordan, Waltman, Hall, the list goes on and on of cast-offs who were deemed to not be worth the WWE's time and were thus future endeavoured, yet have become the focal point of TNA. Sure, bring in Hogan, Flair, Bischoff, Angle, and a few others to attract the casual and mainstream audience. But don't bring in Spanky as a "mystery opponent" with all the hooplah, the same Spanky who was dismissed as irrelevant by the WWE.

If TNA isn't able to establish it's own identity, they're screwed. When WCW mounted their challenge, they had Jericho, Show, Benoit, Guerrero, Mysterio, and a lot of others who either originated in WCW, or for sure established themselves there. If TNA cannot do something similar, and need to build their success on what WWE considers failures, they are in big trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back