Super Mario Galaxy 2

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
MODERATOR NOTE SMG2 IS NOT RELEASED IN EUROPE UNTIL THE 11TH JUNE, PLEASE POST ANY SPOILERS IN A SPOILER TAG...

THANKS LEE

How in the heck does this not have an official thread yet?

Super_Mario_Galaxy_2_Box_Art.jpg

I just got the game myself a few days ago. It's even more fun than its prequel. Similar gameplay from the previous game (and other Mario games) returns, better than ever before. I really like that Yoshi has been added, something really felt like it was missing in Mario Galaxy 1 and Yoshi was just that. He even gets some power up items of his own. Nintendo really got creative when coming up with Yoshi's controls such as using his tongue to grab onto things, and his power ups are almost as cool as Mario's. Speaking of power ups, all of the power ups present in Super Mario Galaxy 1 have returned except for the Ice Flower which got replaced by the Cloud Flower and the Rock Mushroom. I knew already after just a few stars that I was in for a fun gaming experience. For those who don't have the game yet, BUY IT! If you don't have a Wii yet, buy one and then buy this game. It's worth it!

After being out for only about a week, Super Mario Galaxy 2 has already been referred to as the new standard of platformer games, earning a perfect 10 at gamespot's rankings (an EXTREMELY rare accomplishment!) and it's another fun addition to the legendary "Mario" series. What do you like/dislike about it so far? Anything stuck out as particularly cool or difficult yet? I personally feel that it deserves to have received its perfect 10 score because while I wouldn't give it a perfect 10 myself I still find it to be just as great as it was hyped up to be and it's an incredibly fun game, totally worth buying!

Feel free to talk about anything related to Super Mario Galaxy 2 in here, just don't forget to include in your post why you have that opinion rather than just stating it.

Let's have a great discussion about this really great game.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is next on my "to buy" list. It looks like they took everything great from Super Mario Galaxy and improved it tenfold. The graphics look even better than the original, which is an extremely impressive feat. I honestly marked out when I saw Yoshi at Nintendo's press conference last year and I'm really looking forward to riding him in space. As a big Luigi fan, I'm happy you can play as him whenever you'd like. And the Whomp's Fortress video made me want the game even more. I'm going to get it as soon as possible and give you my thoughts. I'm glad to see it's gotten so many positive reviews.

The game I want most in the world right now... Except for maybe new Zelda and Mass Effect 3... Ok, the game I want most in the world right now that's coming out any time soon. I do not care about Red Dead Redemption or Alan Wake, Mario is the only thing I have my eyes on right now and it's driving me crazy that the Americans are playing it right now while us poor sods in Europe have to wait another 12 days. But damn, it's quite clearly going to be worth it!

I have my eyes set on buying a Wii in the coming months. This might as well be my first game to purchase. From what I've seen, the game takes elements from the previous Mario titles as well. Not just the previous Mario Galaxy, but stuff from Mario 64 and Mario World. I look forward to reuniting with the italian plumber. The game truly looks awesome and will most probably have people buzzing about the console.

Looking forward to my copy arriving on the doorstep. I have purposefully not looked at or heard too much regarding SMG2 as I'd rather have it all as a surprise. When coupled with the World Cup, I feel that I may achieve 'hermit' status throughout the month of June and into July.

Perhaps by the time I complete it fully, the hype will for a Christmas release of Zelda Wii will be in full flow...

I've read a couple reviews and it seems like an outstanding game. My 11 yr old nephew is a huge Nintendo fanboy and loves his Wii. He's an even bigger Mario fanboy. He sits around and draws Mario stuff and is constantly playing the Wii. He wants Super Mario Galaxy 2 real bad and I think i'm gonna suprise him with it next paycheck. The reviews said it was an extremely hard game and that it wasn't for your casual fan. I dunno, Game Informer? I believe. Is it that difficult?

The Mario franchise is one of the only reasons I haven't sold my Wii yet. Like the poor bastard I am, I played this at the local GameStop one day, and I probably looked like a major prick, because I played it for like hours. It was amazingly fun. It incorporates the classic quirkiness of the old Mario games, but it brings new twists into it. The game is seriously badass. I am definitely gonna buy this once I get some more currency.

I've read a couple reviews and it seems like an outstanding game. My 11 yr old nephew is a huge Nintendo fanboy and loves his Wii. He's an even bigger Mario fanboy. He sits around and draws Mario stuff and is constantly playing the Wii. He wants Super Mario Galaxy 2 real bad and I think i'm gonna suprise him with it next paycheck. The reviews said it was an extremely hard game and that it wasn't for your casual fan. I dunno, Game Informer? I believe. Is it that difficult?

I've heard that the later levels are no harder than the toughest parts of Super Mario World and Mario 64. If your nephew has played them, he should have no problem with this one. As well as that, reviews say that there's something that gives you hints and sometimes full solutions on how to do some of the puzzles. I'm sure the difficulty is fine, as Mario is known for it's perfectly paced difficulty curve.

Is it that difficult?

In terms of difficulty, it has something for everyone because like several other Mario games it starts out easy and doesn't get too tough until the end. I've looked at a few walkthroughs online myself to see where the difficulty picks up, and it isn't really until the optional levels that it gets to be too insane.

Here's a small spoiler for those who might not know....
There IS a star similar to "Luigi's Purple Coins" in a level VERY much just like it where you more or less have to (or "get to" depending on your preferences regarding insanely tough levels) go through that again once more.

So.... yes it has its hard levels, but what Mario game doesn't? It follows a great difficulty curve because all the levels I've played so far were pretty easy and I'm less than halfway through it. The hard stuff starts to show up later, and (without spoiling anything) there ARE some really tough levels later on, just like all Mario games. 100% worth buying.

I love this game, even more then the first one. It's got really fun levels, and a few annoying items I'm not going to get into. What I really enjoyed was the inclusion of Yoshi. It just reminds me of all the times I was playing SMW. But the Starship Mario's design was pretty annoying to get around. The Comet Observatory was a way better hub, but oh well. I was also disappointed that Luigi is only playable sometimes, but other than that, it's very enjoyable

So far I've gotten about three stars, and I'm highly enjoying it. The remixed music is quite nice, and the graphics are even smoother than the first which is impressive. Level design is of course top-notch. I really like using Yoshi, and I love that riding him adds bongos to the music, just like in Super Mario World. I really like the new map screen, as I always got confused in the Comet Observatory.

I'll have to report on my thoughts as I progress farther in the game, but so far it's fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back