Sunday; May 17th, 2009: C.M Punk = World Champion?

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
So with another Money in the Bank come and gone, and for the second straight year we get C.M Punk winning the match. This year, unlike last year, I fully assume he was meant to win it from the original plan.

With this all said, (thanks to Lil Wes for the info) it's been brought to my attention that Judgment Day will be coming to us live, from Chicago, this year.

Is this a prelude to C.M Punk likely cashing in and once again becoming World Heavyweight Champion? Chicago is remotely the one solid venue that he can get a decent, to great "pop" from. So I don't see why he wouldn't be the headlining act in an attempt at Heavyweight gold.. in front of his hometown audience.

In my personal opinion, I think W.W.E failed on a huge level by not just letting him capitalize and cash in tonight, at Wrestlemania, after the Triple H./Randy Orton match. Especially since that ending was so blend and horrid for a Mania ending.

However, that is another discussion, for another thread. The question I'm asking everyone right here, right now.. Do you believe C.M Punk will cash in this coming May, at Judgment Day? If so.. who should he face? The current two top Champions are Triple H. and John Cena, neither are a proper (equal) match-up for the smaller and vastly less talented Indy Punk. So what needs to change, in order for Punk to get his title shot in roughly a month's time, in front of his hometown?!

Please explain your theories and your opinions. Thank You.

So with another Money in the Bank come and gone, and for the second straight year we get C.M Punk winning the match. This year, unlike last year, I fully assume he was meant to win it from the original plan.

With this all said, (thanks to Lil Wes for the info) it's been brought to my attention that Judgment Day will be coming to us live, from Chicago, this year.

Is this a prelude to C.M Punk likely cashing in and once again becoming World Heavyweight Champion? Chicago is remotely the one solid venue that he can get a decent, to great "pop" from. So I don't see why he wouldn't be the headlining act in an attempt at Heavyweight gold.. in front of his hometown audience.

In my personal opinion, I think W.W.E failed on a huge level by not just letting him capitalize and cash in tonight, at Wrestlemania, after the Triple H./Randy Orton match. Especially since that ending was so blend and horrid for a Mania ending.

However, that is another discussion, for another thread. The question I'm asking everyone right here, right now.. Do you believe C.M Punk will cash in this coming May, at Judgment Day? If so.. who should he face? The current two top Champions are Triple H. and John Cena, neither are a proper (equal) match-up for the smaller and vastly less talented Indy Punk. So what needs to change, in order for Punk to get his title shot in roughly a month's time, in front of his hometown?!

I actually had the theory that CM Punk was going to come put and cash it in. Maybe with Vince McMahon and a steel chair, but perhaps that would be too 8 years ago. I just put the theory away because CM Punk probably fell asleep backstage and forgot his run in.

There are two ways to go about it, with the first being him challenging the current champion, HHH, Cena maybe even Orton head on and building up the match. My prefered way is if he were mysteriously left off the card and after getting a cheap DQ victory from a champion, Punk comes out to get some redemption for the fans. The shock is much more effective than a standard buildup, say with RVD in 06.

however, Judgement Day probably isnt the venue for it. In terms of opponents, i would think its way too early to have a title switch to a heel, and bar turning Punk heel, they are not going to book him against either of the top faces in the company. He'd be eaten alive.

A title change is needed for him to get a hometown victory, or him tunring heel. If he had the support of Vince McMahon or someone that could garner him serious heat, I could see him screwing HHH out of the title. Im praying Im right so that HHH's win at Mania is a part of something larger. Maybe even a clean pin with a pepsi plunge. One can dream :sweat:

I like CM Punk, but his win killed my hopes of the winner cashing it in on the ECW Champion. Shame.

Do we really want to see another "surprise" cash-in? It was incredible last year, but if it was done again this year, it won't be so awesome.

It pains me as a Punk fan to say this, but they made a mistake having him win.

Good for shock value, though.

They couldn't have had him cash it in on the Triple H/Orton match cause that was about McMahon pride no so much the title. even though i'd totally admit that match stunk. and also it woulda meant a Face vs Face.

and it wouldn't have been against Cena cause that would be just plain dumb given Cena looks almost completely fresh after that match (typical Cena no selling pain) and he is a mega face.

Punk doesn't really have the goods to be a solid world champ anyway, an Intercontinental/US Champ No Doubt!!!. IMO MVP woulda been a better option to win the MITB this yr he has had a better fan response the past few months.

I think it'll be a while before Punk cashes in the MITB briefcase. Orton will likely become champ at Backlash and then he'll be due a solid 4-5 month run. I can see Punk cashing in the briefcase against a battered Orton, maybe at Summerslam, and costing Orton the title as revenge for Orton costing Punk the title before the scramble match. This will start Punk's reign off on the right foot with a great fued with Orton as opposed to last time when he kept defending against JBL.

I like CM Punk, but his win killed my hopes of the winner cashing it in on the ECW Champion. Shame.

Do we really want to see another "surprise" cash-in? It was incredible last year, but if it was done again this year, it won't be so awesome.

It pains me as a Punk fan to say this, but they made a mistake having him win.

Good for shock value, though.

Actually I think the surprise will be he cashes in on the ECW Title, it's never been done before so what better way to do it, he's been forced this last year on TV with multiple titles so Punk cashing in on the ECW title would give it some cred.

Why would WWE go with the man who had a garbage title reign last year? How about giving it to a man who could make a great feud like Christian vs Edge. But instead WWE puts the same old stuff again with CM PUNK and Cena winning.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but for the first time, the announcers (J.R., King and Cole) were saying that the MITB briefcase could be cashed in for any WWE title, not their usual Heavyweight title shot.

It's very possible that this was just kayfabe, but I think we could see a Punk / Mysterio IC title feud. It would be a definite shock, but a few months back, Punk did talk about how much the IC belt meant to him.

Plus, the graphic they displayed after Punk won the match said "#1 Contender for any WWE Title". Foreshadowing ??

Best thing for them to do with Punk is have him cash it in and fail. By fail I mean put up a valiant effort and just come up short/disqualification/etc etc. It's hard to get behind people who don't work for the belt. We got behind Jeff Hardy because we wanted to see him finally reach it. We're behind Orton now. We got behind the Rock and SCSA.. it will only hurt CM Punk if the MiTB is cashed in the same way AGAIN.

Anyways, I think Punk has lost his last couple visits to Chicago, and the last time he won Big Daddy V was dq'd.

I used to be a huge CM Punk fan, and I was really excited when he cashed in the briefcase to take the belt from Edge last year. I was more disappointed with the WWE than I was with Punk for that extremely lack-luster reign, but it still got hard to root for him, because he started looking like a weak main event wrestler. He would kill everyone on the midcard, but didn't have much success on the main event.

I also used to think they should move him to Smackdown, but for some reason, I just have this vision that CM Punk, and not HHH, will be the one to bring down legacy, and the MITB win is going to be the start of a tremendous push for Punk. He's going to put it on the line, and win, and he's going to beat some bigger names on the card, like Kane, Morrison, possibly Batista, maybe even someone as huge as HBK or HHH, and he's gonna cash that thing in on Orton when he's proven himself as one of the best wrestlers on the roster.

I feel like CM Punk represents everything Legacy is not, he had to fight through all sorts of indy circuits until he got to the WWE, and when he finally got there, he didn't get to ride the coattails of Ric Flair and HHH, he had to work his way to the top by himself. If the WWE can make Punk look strong enough, he and legacy could have a really special feud.

I think that even though it was a fantastic match but honestly i really dont like that CM Punk won yesterday. I think it wouldve gone better in the hands of Christian, Kofi Kingston, or Kane. It disapointed me a little

Punk cashing it in would've been good and it would've saved that horrid main event but I think they made a mistake in giving it to him. What they should've done is have the Triple Threat as the main event, Christian having won the MitB match and cashed it in on Edge after he got a squeak out title win against Cena and Show.

As far as your question it would be nice to have the MitB winner actually set up a title match instead of the run ins like they've done ever year except year 2 with RVD. I don't know who he could feud against though. That would be cool to have him win in Chicago at that ppv but I mean I think its too early to think of who he would beat. I know this isn't the discussion but after marginalizing him as champ the first time why the hell give it to him again unless he's gonna put the case on the line against someone else and lose it to them. I don't get it. I def can't see him fighting Trips or Cena for the title.

Too soon. I'm thinking it won't be a surprise challenge like it has been in passed years. Punk's gimmick is about competition, so hopefully they've planned this out right. He'll put the briefcase up with advance notice.

I'd personally like to see him come out on Raw tonight and say "it doesn't matter who's holding the belt, I'm taking it at Summerslam." And then the next few months will be about who's going to walk into Summerslam to defend against CM Punk. That gives time for other feuds to happen, and at the same time, to build Punk up properly. He could start singling other wrestlers out to try and influence who'll be champ (i.e. helping one superstar either gain or retain the belt heading into Summerslam).

The Triple H/Orton feud will continue possibly with a six-man tag at Backlash (McMahons/Triple H vs Legacy) and probably culminating in a Hell In A Cell at the end of which I would like to see Punk cashing in and winning the title. This brings up two possible scenarios - Punk beats Orton setting up a new rivalry or Punk beats Triple H with Orton's help. Personally I would like to see the straight-edge, better than you CM Punk from ROH caught in between Triple H and Orton, who block each other from taking the title from Punk.

However, this will not happen. Too much of Triple H's and the McMahon's future characters has been shaped by the Orton feud. It might even mean the end of the McMahons on TV as long as Triple H remains a main-event draw now that the real-life relationship has been laid bare. This feud therefore needs the massive pay off that was so lacking at Wrestlemania XXV and I think a colossal Hell In A Cell is the long term target.

This leaves little room for Punk to interject himself in the WWE Title picture anytime soon. I also do not see a face/face battle for the World Heavyweight Title between Punk and Cena. Even if Punk was to turn heel against Cena it would not work as Cena is almost as straight-edge as Punk (aside from Cena's drinking a beer at the Hall of Fame and a false accusation of steroids). I think then that unless Edge regains the World Heavyweight Title, CM Punk will have to wait a while before cashing in his title shot.

In the mean time, why not make him defend it? A feud with a returning Batista would not be a bad thing as I liked their encounters during Punk's title run last year or perhaps a feud with Chris Jericho, who deserves to get back into the title picture.

I think that he won, but might drop the case to someone. I think the only reason he might have won was because Jericho wasn't in it. I think they will have him drop it to Jericho for he can get the belt easier.

If it doesn't happen, he should cash it at Judgment Day. He should cash it next WrestleMania. Wait the full year, have HHH win or retain the belt in the Main Event, then Punk cashes it in and becomes the new World Champ. Man, I really hate HHH.

why can't we see him cash in on the ECW title? it'll bring some attention back to it. I mean, just 2 years ago it was just as important as the other 2 titles. When Taker won the RR, he got to choose between the 3.

The problem with Punk winning the title last year wasn't that Punk won it, it was the weak push WWE gave him. I also don't think Punk is less talented.

If they are going to give him the belt again this time they need to do it right. Get behind him and give him a decent title run.

I'd been hoping the MITB winner would cash it on the ECW guy, to bring it some cred. With Punk as a former world champ, it could either be great, or unrealistic, and I'm going with B.
If Kane, Mark Henry, Finlay, or Christian had won, they could have put over how they wanted to gain/regain the title. ECW is where Kofi started. Shelton was in ECW.
With Punk, it just doesn't work. He was a great ECW champion, but he's graduated. Everyone can see that.
And that's why it wouldn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back