Best (perfect storm) build EVER....

Jeff Deliverer of Mail

Money for nothin, chicks for free
There are times when WWE Creative, or the performers , Vince or whatever...come up with a terrific story between two wrestlers and put them in the Main Event at a PPV. Recently the long story of Daniel Bryan finally overcoming The Authority at Wrestlemania was damn good and had a big hero ending. That story was long and had elements ( real or written ) of controversy surrounding Batista , HHH , Randy Orton , Daniel Bryan and even C.M Punk leaving the company.

But that's not the golden build, the perfect storm in my opinion. Rewind your mind to four years ago.....

Money in the Bank 2011. John Cena vs C.M Punk for the WWE Heavyweight Championship.

The build for this lower slot PPV was genius. With John Cena laying in a heap in the corner of the ring with a destroyed table under him on RAW ...C.M Punk walks up the ramp, he turns and sits down and rocks the WWE with a straight from the heart , off the script rant against everyone in the upper office of WWE. It was a moment where you watch with raised eyebrows and say to yourself, " Holy shit, he can't say THAT ! ". It was known as the now famous pipebomb promo and turned C.M Punk into a hero of the people, the voice of the voiceless.

Over the weeks we get C.M Punk making Vince McMahon apologise to him, we get C.M Punk calling John Cena " The New York Yankees " followed by a real punch to the cheek by Cena to Punk. ( most likely written in punch, but it connected ).

The set up ends like this....C.M Punks contract expires at midnight at Money in the Bank , if he wins the WWE Championship off Cena he's going to leave the company with the title. McMahon is in panic mode and tells John Cena that if he doesn't retain the title at the PPV then he'll be hearing the words , " You're FIRED ! ".

Oh, another little addition to the match...its in Chicago. C.M Punks home town.

The match itself delivered as you could almost see fingers of electricity all over the place. It ends with McMahon and Laurenitis coming down and attempting to pull a Montreal Screw Job move on C.M Punk , but Cena breaks the hold and plows Laurenitis and tells Vince that he will win his way....he immediately gets a GTS entering the ring. The home town hero wins to a big pop...Vince demands Del Rio to cash in his briefcase but Punk kicks him and escapes through the crowd with the belt after blowing Vince a kiss.

Awesome, you can't top shit like that. It was a flawlessly executed build and kudos to all involved in it.

BONUS : Unusual botch count to the match . C.M Punk - 8 or 9 glaring botches... John Cena only 2 or 3. I guess it was nerves. The mood was just electric.

We talk alot about this scripted worked promo that C.M. Punk was told to turn into a shoot.

He was always known as a complainer, a whiner, and bitchy in the locker room. So Vince, et al. created a story line around his complaining. They figured, hey, this PPV is coming up in his hometown, why not give these smarks a little work, pull one over them for a while? And so they did.

They told Punk exactly what to say, what he couldn't say, and they let him play it off. They let him "get things off his chest" although it was mostly a million words signifying nothing. What, he didn't like the WWE machine? That he didn't care for HHH (the guy that has single handedly made WWE the place to find the best WRESTLING in the USA)? That he thought he was MUCH better than he really was? Yeah, we already knew all of these things about CM Punk.

Then there was the match, which, if you're a pro wrestling fan was a lot of fun. The finish was fun, the new title was fun, the whole thing was great. But it was mostly the work of Vince and creative that gave Punk that gimmick on a silver platter.

after reading the headline, the first build that came to my mind was MATT HARDY VS EDGE which was a perfect example of a "perfect storm" built storyline since every one knew the past, the present, and the truth.. matt & lita became very close from working together, lita was now with Edge, matt was fired, matt worked indy dates, shows up on wwe tv beats up edge, yells to the camera that he'll be at ring of honor ..
great matches, you knew there was real heat, but the two could be professional enough to have a match, but potatoes were going to be thrown.. blood was going to be shed..

after reading the headline, the first build that came to my mind was MATT HARDY VS EDGE which was a perfect example of a "perfect storm" built storyline since every one knew the past, the present, and the truth.. matt & lita became very close from working together, lita was now with Edge, matt was fired, matt worked indy dates, shows up on wwe tv beats up edge, yells to the camera that he'll be at ring of honor ..
great matches, you knew there was real heat, but the two could be professional enough to have a match, but potatoes were going to be thrown.. blood was going to be shed..

problem with this though is it WAS REAL LIFE; Not a storyline.
Lita wasn't merely with Adam after leaving Matt, she REALLY DID Cheat on Matt with Adam. Matt was legit pissed off. I would have been too. and he yelled about R.O.H. because that is where he was going. Matt DID NOT want to be around Adam OR Amy at the time. Matt might have killed him with the was he was feeling.

NOW ON TOPIC
Why does this have to be about WWE only. the one storyline that I remember vividly that was a PERFECT BUILD was the formation of the NWO(i know hogan is a sore subject right now) hall & nash showing up on nitro saying they are bringing a war for weeks, then to have HH turn on Sting & Savage becoming Hollywood Hogan(remember how much of an As-hole he was)

The "perfect storm" you speak of, not really Punk and Cena... it had already happened.

Shawn vs Jericho in 2008... THAT was a perfect storm, everything coming together to make what was a downshift feud for Shawn into the main event. Everything about it worked, but almost by accident. Even down to Jericho accidentally nailing Rebecca for real with that punch, when Jericho won the title it just made it better.

A lot of great suggestions from all the posters..
My pick would be Randy Orton vs Triple H, the build-up to Wrestlemania XXV. Randy Orton winning the Rumble, taking out the McMahons one by one. That first punt kick to Vince was shocking, then a short feud with Shane followed. The highlight was the RKO to Steph and then the kiss, all in front of Triple H, who was tied in the ropes and couldn't do anything about it.

HHH breaking into Randy's house, taking out Legacy one by one on RAW.. Lots of great moments. I still believe that Randy should have gotten that Wrestlemania victory over HHH.. All this feud needed was a big WM match, however the match itself underperformed.. It should have been a No DQs match for the WWE Championship at the main event.. Legacy interfering vs McMahons.. Maybe Batista returning at the main-event. Still, though, great storytelling and emotion.. Orton's past with HHH and Evolution helped, too.

This build-up could have gotten down as the best build-up ever (one of the best at least), but the countless matches between HHH and Orton in the past took away the magic. The fact that these two were involved in a feud from April to June just 8 months before the main-event of WM XXV, also didn't help..

However, still great build-up.

Although my original post had an epic , genius build between C.M Punk vs John Cena ....I'll give a bonus build to Wrestlemania 6. The Ultimate Warrior vs Hulk Hogan ... Or due to recent scandals ..The Ultimate Warrior vs ( Pixilated censor squares ).

It all started at The Royal Rumble ....Hogan just elimated the final wrestlers on his side of the ring..The Warrior just did the same thing on HIS side of the ring...ohhhhh shit ! They're LOOKING at each other ! Hogan vs Warrior is on for the first time ever ! I don't know about you but when I was watching this event I was stoked at that showdown. Then they built it right to Wrestlemania Warrior vs Hogan....gigantic huge , massive match feel that really hasn't been matched very often since. Rare Face vs Face...the crowd split down the middle....both men doing their " Comebacks ". Famous moves and the shocking ending , Hulk Hogan LOST at Wrestlemania !

Triple H vs. Batista was really good in my eyes, WM being a good blowoff for this feud.

Other than that, I have to say I really loved the Jeff Jarrett vs. Sting feud in TNA. I mean the whole Jeff thinking Sting was going to come and put him in his place. Sting telling that fool he was retired. Alex Shelley doing his weird Paparazzi gimmick (Outside of MCMG Shelley's best stuff), and the BFG blowoff with the Sting's final form finally coming out and winning his last meaningful title.

Wrestlemania X7 Austin Rock was the best build to main event in history. The my way videos were awesome. I really couldn't see either guy losing.

Summerslam 98: both Austin/Taker and HHH/Rock. The whole ppv had an awesome build up. Maybe the best build ever. I couldn't have hated the rock anymore going into that show.

The Summer of Punk leading to Punk/Cena. I stopped watching in early 2006, this got me back into wrestling.

The YES movement: DBs build to the title at WM30 that started in the summer. The crowd couldn't have been anymore behind him then we finally got the pay off.

The build to wrestlemania 8: Hogan/Flair then the main event getting flipped around. Bret/Roddys promos. Building Sid as a monster and putting people put on stretchers, Hogans farewell match, the Liz angle with Flair/Savage. I'll admit I'm a little biast because this is when I first started watching and it was my first mania

They told Punk exactly what to say, what he couldn't say, and they let him play it off. They let him "get things off his chest" although it was mostly a million words signifying nothing. What, he didn't like the WWE machine? That he didn't care for HHH (the guy that has single handedly made WWE the place to find the best WRESTLING in the USA)? That he thought he was MUCH better than he really was? Yeah, we already knew all of these things about CM Punk.

All of that is true and no one should think the whole routine was a legitimate shoot. Yes, elements of Punk's real feelings came out (by design), reminiscent of the terrific shoot promo Triple H (of all people) did years earlier when his true feelings about wanting to join his buddies in WCW came through. If Vince McMahon hadn't wanted that segment to air, it never would have.

Yet, if one still believes Punk's tirade was strictly unscripted....remember when they cut off his mic and he pretended to be disgusted about it?

Consider this: they could have cut it off as soon as they realized where he was going with it.

I think all of you guys have the perfect build and storm but come on.....

Can any be better than when Stone Cold and Vince started feuding?

I swear literally millions tune in each week to see the Rattlesnake go against the Mean overbearing Boss. Don't forget Shawn had broken his back at the time. Triple H and the Rock weren't Main Eventers they needed Stone Cold and the chips fell perfectly. Mike Tyson getting suspended from boxing so he could appear at WM as the Enforcer. Vince finally getting really thrown into the limelight as the TRUE OWNER OF WWE after years of just being the corny goofy commentator that got picked on by heels. Ooooooooh my.... What a drop kick? Then coming out publically AGAINST the loose cannon SC because he was a public relations nightmare and at the time Jerry Springer was the hottest show in the world which allowed the edgier Attitude Era to begin,

EVERYTHING FELL PERFECTLY AND THAT STARTED THE WWE COMEBACK IN TYE MONDAY NIGHT WARS

I think all of you guys have the perfect build and storm but come on.....

Can any be better than when Stone Cold and Vince started feuding?

I swear literally millions tune in each week to see the Rattlesnake go against the Mean overbearing Boss. Don't forget Shawn had broken his back at the time. Triple H and the Rock weren't Main Eventers they needed Stone Cold and the chips fell perfectly. Mike Tyson getting suspended from boxing so he could appear at WM as the Enforcer. Vince finally getting really thrown into the limelight as the TRUE OWNER OF WWE after years of just being the corny goofy commentator that got picked on by heels. Ooooooooh my.... What a drop kick? Then coming out publically AGAINST the loose cannon SC because he was a public relations nightmare and at the time Jerry Springer was the hottest show in the world which allowed the edgier Attitude Era to begin,

EVERYTHING FELL PERFECTLY AND THAT STARTED THE WWE COMEBACK IN TYE MONDAY NIGHT WARS

Ya, I was thinking of that amazing feud when I posted the WM 6 build... it really was the perfect storm build and is probably the best one ever, even better than The Pipebomb , C.M Punk leaving with the title one.

I think the best perfect storm build ever was Chris Jericho’s run from Invasion to WrestleMania X8. Talk about a slow burn, this one had surprise after surprise written all over it. Triple H’s injury, Undertaker and Kane being placed in the Tag Team division, Stone Cold Steve Austin and Kurt Angle turning on the WWE and joining the Alliance (thus pushing Booker T., Diamond Dallas Page, and Rhyno down the card), the mini side feud he had with the Rock, and timing of it all really gave Jericho the “right place at the right time” advantage. If it wasn’t for all of these factors, I don’t believe Jericho would have been given the opportunity to shine (pun intended). In fact, it wasn’t until Triple H returned and the WWE debut of the New World Order, that he started to “decline” in the eyes of some of the fans (not mine, but some of the fans). At the very least, we can all look back and the fact still remains, he is the first ever Undisputed WWF / WCW World Heavyweight Champion!!

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

In my opinion...the greatest hype and build was Hogan/Warrior. You want to talk about a perfect storm this is it. These two guys...just being who they were, at the right time in their careers, colliding to form the biggest main event in wrestling history...it wrote the story itself. Everything about this build was perfect and its one of those matches where you remember where you were when you saw it...it was that special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back