Stone Cold University: The Campaign HQ for Steve Austin

pun2003hh

BUILDING KICK!!! EXPLOSIONS!!!
StoneCold_Steve_Austin.jpg

I can't believe that this wasn't one of the first campaigns started, so I won't let this travesty go any longer. Accomplishments:

* Pro Wrestling Illustrated
o PWI Feud of the Year (1998, 1999)[64] vs. Vince McMahon
o PWI Match of the Year (1997)[65] vs. Bret Hart at WrestleMania 13 in a Submission match
o PWI Most Hated Wrestler of the Year (2001)[66]
o PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year (1998)[67]
o PWI Rookie of the Year (1990)[68]
o PWI Wrestler of the Year (1998, 1999, 2001)[69]
o PWI ranked #1 of the Top 500 singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 1998 and 1999[70][71]

* Texas Wrestling Federation
o TWF Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with The California Stud[72]

* World Championship Wrestling
o WCW United States Heavyweight Championship (2 times)[73]
o WCW World Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Brian Pillman[74]
o WCW World Television Championship (2 times)[75]

Austin being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame

* World Wrestling Federation / World Wrestling Entertainment
o Million Dollar Championship (1 time)[76]
o WWF Championship (6 times)[77]
o WWF Intercontinental Championship (2 times)[78]
o WWF Tag Team Championship (4 times) – with Shawn Michaels (1), Dude Love (1), The Undertaker (1) and Triple H (1)[79]
o King of the Ring (1996)[80]
o Royal Rumble (1997, 1998, 2001)[81]
o Slammy Award for Freedom of Speech (1997)
o Fifth Triple Crown Champion
o WWE Hall of Fame (Class of 2009)

* Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
o Best Box Office Draw (1998, 1999)
o Best Gimmick (1997, 1998)
o Best Heel (1996)
o Best Interviews (1996–1998, 2001)
o Best Non-Wrestler (2003)
o Feud of the Year (1997) vs. The Hart Foundation
o Feud of the Year (1998, 1999) vs. Vince McMahon
o Match of the Year (1997) vs. Bret Hart in a Submission match at WrestleMania 13
o Most Charismatic (1997, 1998)
o Rookie of the Year (1990)
o Tag Team of the Year (1993) with Brian Pillman as the Hollywood Blonds
o Wrestler of the Year (1998)

The biggest draw in wrestling history and the man responsible for the original fandom of, I'd estimate, over 90% of the people on this board. Austin revolutionized the business, and beat everyone (and I mean everyone) that was put in front of him during the late 90s. For nearly 10 years, the Stone Cold Stunner claimed countless victims, from Vince McMahon and Santa Claus to The Rock and The Undertaker. Austin's brawling ability and never say die attitude should be enough to take him through this tournament.

Hogan does not know best.

Vote for the guy who doesn't make crappy reality shows, or think that he can make a failure into a success because of his name value.

That episode of Chuck he was on was one of the better of the season. Though that's not saying much. I wish that show would die already.

I have a funny little feeling Austin is going to win, and it's hard to make a case against the guy. There are very few wrestlers I wouldn't chose him over, if any.

I have a funny little feeling Austin is going to win, and it's hard to make a case against the guy. There are very few wrestlers I wouldn't chose him over, if any.

Except for the fact that over half the time the guy spent LOSING his matches, and being screwed by his opponents/Boss, which basically in turn made his entire career what is came to be.

Steve Austin would win Heavyweight titles, but not before losing several matches along the way to finally winning "the main one". If that translates to tournament aspects, then he'd be screwed out of the entire thing in Round 1, or any round before the final 4.. so he could go on to feud with whomever screwed him.

I'll put aside my love and desire to push Edge, if only so I can be assured Steve Austin does NOT win this tournament.

If we are taking these guys in their prime, which I would say Austin's prime was 97-98, then you are DEAD wrong Will. Austin beat EVERYONE that they put in front of him and even beat up on others that were on the sidelines. He beat Owen, he beat Farooq and Rock, he beat Taker, he won the Royal Rumble twice, he beat Triple H, HBK, beat Kane 24 hours after he was screwed out of the title, he beat Taker again, and I could go on and on and on.

The basis of your argument is flawed, Austin only loss when he was screwed, like any dominant face should. During this period in time, no one could beat Austin straight up. No One.

I cannot think of a more deserving winner. Hulk Hogan is the biggest name in the history of professional wrestling...but he's not the best. Austin was better on the mic, in the ring, and had a more interesting character (IMO).

Hogan could cut an energetic promo, but when asked to dialogue with other wrestlers, he was, and still is, terrible. In the ring, it's not even debatable (once again, IMO). Hogan was one of the best of all time at getting the crowd into his matches, but that doesn't change the fact that Steve Austin is clearly the more talented wrestler. Hogan, like I said earlier, is without a doubt the most popular pro wrestler of all time, but Steve Austin is probably 2nd. And with him being superior to Hogan in every way possible (besides overall popularity), I am most definitely going with Steve Austin.

Hogan= Biggest of All Time
Austin= Best of All Time

The point I was trying to make was that Jericho still pinned him (twice) and beat him in a steel cage match and besides, Jericho wasn't 100% that night after just having a match with The Rock even though Austin had a 20 minute break, Jericho pinned him.

Where is the picture of Booker T smashing Austin before this? Again, Austin likely has less clean losses then most of the guys in this tournament, so unless they are somehow introducing screw job angles in one of the rounds, Austin will be going far. Very far.

If Austin never gets hit by a car he is still unbeatable to this day. Jericho could not beat Gilberg without help from outside interference. Austin can talk about all his accomplishments throughout his career while Jericho pretty much only talks about that one night where he defeated two guys that were past their primes and he was not even strong enough to do it without help. Jericho could not even beat Shelton Benjamin before he lost to Cena twice in two nights and was fired by Bischoff (he was not even a big enough player to have McMahon do the firing). Everyone knows Cena is a not as good prime Austin. Then Jericho pansied out of a few years not even wrestling.

456y2j_alumni04.jpg

Oh I'm sorry, I was busy looking at Y2J pinning Austin to win the Undisputed Title, you were saying?

Oh yeah! I remember that! That was the match where everyone and their mother interfered, and Jericho pinned Austin after Booker T took care of Austin. This was of course, after Jericho tapped out after being put in his own submission hold.

Or maybe this was at No Way Out, where Austin, once again, made Jericho tap. Of course, no ref was present again, and Jericho won. That's because the NWO hit the ring and hit Austin with a sledgehammer.

I like Jericho, but he's not beating Austin.

This. This right here is where I'll be throwing my support. I'll campaign as hard as I can for my picks and favorites like Kobashi, Funk, etc but Austin was one of the main reasons I got into wrestling in the first place in the summer of 1997 and has remained one of my favorite wrestlers, if not my favorite to be honest. This could be his year, he deserves to win one of these tournaments.

This. This right here is where I'll be throwing my support. I'll campaign as hard as I can for my picks and favorites like Kobashi, Funk, etc but Austin was one of the main reasons I got into wrestling in the first place in the summer of 1997 and has remained one of my favorite wrestlers, if not my favorite to be honest. This could be his year, he deserves to win one of these tournaments.

Exactly. For me, Austin wasn't the guy that got me into wrestling (that honor lies with Bret Hart) but he was the guy that got me legitimately excited about wrestling for the first time. The bottom line (no pun intended) is this guy was untouchable during the golden era of modern wrestling. Doesn't matter if you were a cruiserweight, an announcer, the Undertaker or the CEO of the company. You looked at him the wrong way, Stunner, lights out, the end.

Hmmm, Austin draws Andre the Giant in Round 4. Should be an interesting match up. I can already hear the arguments now. Andre was unbeatable and Andre should win because he was Andre and blah blah blah.

If Steve Austin can take out the entire Nation of Domination on his own...

If Steve Austin can pretty much destroy the entire WCW Invasion roster with nothing but a broken pool stick and a fist full of Stunners...

If Steve Austin can beat Chuck Norris in the finals of the All Valley Karate Tournament even without Mr. Miyagi in his corner...

Steve Austin can put down the Giant.

NOTE: Steve Austin beating Chuck Norris may or may not have happened, the 80s and 90s were kind of a blur to me.

Well, here it is. The finals of this long drawn out extravaganza start next week and Stone Cold made it to the end, leaving a trail of legends in his wake. Namely, Yokozuna, Randy Orton, Jake Roberts, Andre the Giant, Chris Jericho and of course, the Nature Boy himself, Ric Flair.

His opponent? The phenom of the WWE, The Undertaker, who claimed the souls of Tully Blanchard, AJ Styles, Hulk Hogan, Goldberg, John Cena and of course The Showstopper, Shawn Michaels.

Many people might look at the lists and think that the Undertaker had a tougher road to get to the finals, but lets really look at the list. Taker had to beat Hogan, the unstoppable force of his time. Austin had to beat Andre, the immovable object, the ying to Hogan's yang.

Taker defeated Goldberg, a man who ran through everyone over the course of 2 years. Austin defeated Yokozuna, a man who crushed everyone over the course 2 years.

Taker beat the golden boy, John Cena. Austin beat someone who is not only Cena's equivalent, but is also just as important to the WWE today, Randy Orton.

Taker beat the Icon, HBK, a man who is considered to be one of the greatest all around performers of all time. Austin beat Ric Flair, a man considered by many to be THE greatest all around performer of all time.

In the end, we have the biggest box office draw in pro wrestling history and a man who is credited with bringing the industry to its highest point in popularity and reach against a man who has been the backbone, the cornerstone to the industry for the last 20 years.

For me, I am backing the Rattlesnake, but I am interested to see the arguments on both sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back