Sting Wants to Wrestle Hulk Hogan in His Final Match

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/TNA/article10019539.shtml

TNA star Sting appeared on ESPN on Thursday with host Robert Flores to coincide with the announcement of Bound For Glory taking place in Philadelphia. You can watch the video at ESPN.go.com.

Powell's POV: In the most notable aspect of the interview, Sting chose Hulk Hogan as the wrestler he would prefer to have his final match with. This was good exposure for TNA, as it helped the company and the Bound For Glory event look major league.

Thoughts on this?

Even though I would much rather have Sting have his final match against a guy like Bobby Roode or AJ, for nothing else but the rub and the exposure, in the end this is Sting's choice, not mine. This is his very last match we're talking about.

That being said, before all those "Dey Stealing teh spotelight from da yung gais" idiots come along, allow me to remind you a couple of recent retirement matches.

Ric Flair vs Shawn Michaels and Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker. 'Nuff said. I don't want to hear any of that bullshit.

As far as Hogan vs Sting goes I'm praying to GOD it happens. Hogan's feeling much better now, and if he does it then I'm sure he consulted with doctors and everything to make sure he can go through with it. Nostalgia sells, like it or not. Will it be a barn burner? Nah. But it would still be fun and it's going to be a great moment to have Hogan AND Sting have their last matches in the same night, because I highly doubt Hogan will lace them up again after this one.

It's iconic, it's legendary and it will be memorable. Two of pro wrestling's biggest names (one THE biggest) ending their careers in TNA? That's flattering to say the least.

Well, why not? Yeah i know i know Hogan and Sting are old, but if and thats a big if Hogan's back is good to go TNA would be crazy for not trying to cash in on the nostalgia factor of a final confrontation between the two. Like ZZ said, sure sting vs a guy like Bobby Roode or A.J. Styles would be better wrestling wise, but for nostalgia factor Sting vs Hogan is the way to go.

Even though I would much rather have Sting have his final match against a guy like Bobby Roode or AJ, for nothing else but the rub and the exposure, in the end this is Sting's choice, not mine. This is his very last match we're talking about.

That being said, before all those "Dey Stealing teh spotelight from da yung gais" idiots come along, allow me to remind you a couple of recent retirement matches.

Ric Flair vs Shawn Michaels and Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker. 'Nuff said. I don't want to hear any of that bullshit.

As far as Hogan vs Sting goes I'm praying to GOD it happens. Hogan's feeling much better now, and if he does it then I'm sure he consulted with doctors and everything to make sure he can go through with it. Nostalgia sells, like it or not. Will it be a barn burner? Nah. But it would still be fun and it's going to be a great moment to have Hogan AND Sting have their last matches in the same night, because I highly doubt Hogan will lace them up again after this one.

It's iconic, it's legendary and it will be memorable. Two of pro wrestling's biggest names (one THE biggest) ending their careers in TNA? That's flattering to say the least.

I agree with pretty much everything you just wrote here.

The most important thing to make note of here is the legendary status of this.

Hogan v. Sting in Sting's actual final wrestling, likely at Bound For Glory—the biggest PPV TNA produces a year—is exactly what the company needs at an event like that. On their own neither may be as big a draw as they once were, but billed on the grandest stage TNA produces a year, as Sting's final farewell, win, lose or draw? Yeah, that's gonna sell tickets. Just like Michaels/Flair sold tickets.

I have ZERO problems with this match happening as Long as its not for the World Title which I'm 99% sure it won't be because the winner of the BFG series is getting the title match. This match needs to happen they have been building a Sting vs Hogan match for about 18 months and if this match didn't happen that would be a LOT of wasted TV time. Sting vs Hogan as the Co Main Event along with the BFG Series Winner vs Whoever the Champ may be are two good pretty matches to build TNA biggest PPV around. I still think that a Sting vs Hogan match could still get people to buy tickets and purchase the PPV.

Lulz. Sting has to have his corporate goggles on for this one. Either that or he has never actually watched any of his matches with Hogan from WCW. Christ, those were a whole new level of awful.

If they want to go this route then hey, more power to them. It will surely generate a lot of money for them and that's the ultimate goal. But there better be something amazing on the under card if they actually want to lure new fans to the product because if anyone sees this match who hasn't seen Sting or Hogan wrestle in 10 years, they're definitely not coming back if nothing else interests them.

Great idea from a business standpoint, but I have no doubt that it will go down as one of the worst worked matches of the past 20 years.

I can see the appeal but there is no way I would want to see it. Sting has lost a step in the ring due to age. Now I'm sure if it were his final match against a name like Hogan, he would step it up. But Hogan cannot have any decent matches anymore unless someone carries him. I don't know that Sting is that person.

10 or 15 years ago, this match would have been great. But I don't want to see it because I want to remember their WCW matches as their best matches and don't want this last match to wreck that.

I don't have a problem with this. Sting is one of the greatest wrestlers of all time along with Hogan. If this is Stings last match, I hope it will be Hogans too. That would be epic.

HBK and Undertaker were in their early 40's. Ric Flair was old but he was facing a man who was putting out 5-star matches every night in Shawn Michaels. Are you really going to compare Sting and Hogan to those matches in terms of match quality!? Yeah, it'll sell, but I know I'm not interesting in watch 2 senior citizens hit each other with strikes for 20 minutes. This won't be a memorable match, it'll be a pitiful attempt at re-creating history that I'll watch online whenever I need a good laugh

HBK and Undertaker were in their early 40's. Ric Flair was old but he was facing a man who was putting out 5-star matches every night in Shawn Michaels. Are you really going to compare Sting and Hogan to those matches in terms of match quality!? Yeah, it'll sell, but I know I'm not interesting in watch 2 senior citizens hit each other with strikes for 20 minutes. This won't be a memorable match, it'll be a pitiful attempt at re-creating history that I'll watch online whenever I need a good laugh

So laugh. It's not about putting together the greatest wrestling match of all-time. It's about putting together two of the biggest names, on the biggest stage TNA is capable of producing, in what is likely to be both of their final wrestling matches in a company somewhat devoid of the kind of history and legacy WWE was able to capitalize on numerous times pitting legends against legends at Wrestlemania.

This is all about draw—the number of tickets they can sell, t-shirts, posters, etc.—not appeasing some standard of quality you or any other fan has regarding the match itself.

I think if the two of them were to wrestle for a last match then the match should have a stipulation.... "Loser is not allowed to wrestle again." The only thing I would do is make it a Double count out or Double Disqualification or some type of out come where they both lose...

Look, back in the day I was a fan of the red and gold. Was also a fan of the more colorful Sting versus "the crow." But let's seriously look at what this match could turn out to be. First Sting. He's in his early 50's now, is heavier, leaner muscle-wise, and slower in the ring. He clearly doesn't have the stamina he did at one time. His bumps are all much more methodical and slower I suspect to give him breathers throughout his matches.

Hogan. His back is shot. His knees are shot. His hips are shot. Does he "look" like he could still bench press a small car? Yes. Doesn't mean he can! He's barely able to walk, much less take bumps in the ring. He admitted during his "the voice" interview that he's not able to take back bumps nor do the legdrop anymore.

So given this why does anyone think this is a good idea? Nostalgia? Really? So now we're going to say that we're willing to throw aside quality for 'one last ride' and call it good? Or maybe even great? Really?

The Ric Flair v. Shawn Michaels match was brought up. Let's consider the fact that no one mentions that match as a classic or memorable match, other than 'the moment' they had before Shawn superkicked Ric to TNA. The reason it wasn't remembered as a great match is because Flair was well past his prime and wasn't able to move in the ring like he once did. Could he take the bumps better than Hogan? Yes. Doesn't mean he had the ability to put on a good match. Sorry but 'chops' and 'wooos' do not a great match make.

Again, Sting and Hogan will have to be able to tell a story in the ring and I'm just not convinced they can. Sting is still very healthy by comparison, but even he shows the affects of age.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for what both of these men have given to professional wrestling. The amount of sacrifice physically, emotionally, and personally is unimaginable to me. But it doesn't mean I want to see them go out in one last match with each other. Their individual achievements stand on their own and they don't owe the fans anything more.

The point of doing this match as Sting's last is to get people to buy the PPV and tune in. If the rest of the card is high quality matches, people will come back. That's why you do it. Lure them with two legends, keep them with your young guys.

I don't know what's funnier in that article: the fact that 2 Jurassic past their prime has beens think a match against each other has any meaning or the people deluding themselves that this will give TNA the impression they are major league if they do it. When a 54 year old has to steal a gimmick from a promo sent in by an up and comer, his career is over. Too bad he can't come to grips with it. That's atypical TNA and why the company will never be taken seriously...

Frankly Sting has EARNED the right to choose who he wants to wrestle in his final match. He has been in the business for 30 years and if he wants to step in there with Hogan one last time then let him. I wont argue it and I will enjoy the match for what it is, the last time we get to see The Icon, The Franchise, The greatest Heavyweight Champion to never lower himself to the level of Vince McMahon, wrestle one last time.

Sting was The Franchise, is The Icon, is one of the Top 6 Wrestling Personalities in history along with Hogan, Flair, Macho, Buddy Rodgers, and The Rock. Let the man choose his own farewell, and love it for what it is, not what you want it to be. I dont care if Sting goes out and digs up the corpse of Captain Lou and reanimates him in some lab to have his final match, it is still Sting's FINAL MATCH and for that I will watch and enjoy. Would it be great if it was against a guy like Robert Roode? Absolutely, will I cry foul if it isnt? Absolutely not. The guy earned this.

As for the entire interview I thought it was great. Sting is the guy that if I am Dixie Carter, after he hangs up the boots I am signing him to a deal to make him the official FACE of TNA, I am sending him around to ESPN to do interviews, I am sending him to the UK and Australia to promote events, I make him the guy that puts TNA on a platform. He is a great guy, doesn't drink, doesn't do drugs, well spoken, keeps himself cleaned up. He is the perfect Ambassador.

Im not trying to knock TNA its just and seems like TNA is just trying to once again get old wcw fan base, since they have reached the peak with TNA, a reincarnation of wcw may show additional results.
The current wwe product seem to be getting ratings at the level of pre-attitude era, so only fitting to play the wcw foil.

I would not mind seeing that match, but when reality sets in about hogans back, that limits how good the match could be.

Frankly Sting has EARNED the right to choose who he wants to wrestle in his final match. He has been in the business for 30 years and if he wants to step in there with Hogan one last time then let him. I wont argue it and I will enjoy the match for what it is, the last time we get to see The Icon, The Franchise, The greatest Heavyweight Champion to never lower himself to the level of Vince McMahon, wrestle one last time.

Sorry to tell you this and if you asked Sting himself he would tell you the same thing, Sting has done things a lot lower than anything Vince McMahon has done. Plus his career is not over yet so you just may see him on RAW one day.

As far as the match goes, he deserves to pick who he wants for his final match. But Hogan? Their match was a bag of shit 15 years ago and with Hogan close to having to use a walker it's going to be 100 times worse. Sting at this point needs someone to make him look strong because he can't carry anyone to a good match. Hogan at his best was horrible at making people look good.

I can see Russo licking his chops now when he books the pacemaker on a pole match. :disappointed:

Everyone harping on how horrible of a match this will be (and some of you may be right) but it will be remembered for what it was: a match with two icons who helped shape wrestling.

Was Rock/Hogan a barn burner? God no.... Hell was Hogan/Vince a 5 star attraction? Not even close. But both are memorable matches in history for what they were. This will be in the same vein and will draw, which is what TNA needs right now.

I don't know what's funnier in that article: the fact that 2 Jurassic past their prime has beens think a match against each other has any meaning or the people deluding themselves that this will give TNA the impression they are major league if they do it. When a 54 year old has to steal a gimmick from a promo sent in by an up and comer, his career is over. Too bad he can't come to grips with it. That's atypical TNA and why the company will never be taken seriously...

Wrong, genius. Again, this has nothing to do with the match quality. It has everything to do with draw. Sting v. Hogan, billed as the last match of either of their careers, or potentially both, will draw. Period. Especially at Bound For Glory.

As the user above you noted, you hook users with a legends match and fill the card with fantastic wrestling to keep them.

Those two "Jurassic past their prime has beens" are two of the single most recognizable names in the industry, period. Was Flair a "Jurassic past his prime has been" when he wrestled Michaels in his retirement match at Wrestlemania, too?

As to the gimmick-stealing, he lifted it from the Joker from Batman, not from whatever dirt sheet nonsense you are reading, but by all means, continue to fill your head with misguided, baseless rhetoric for the sake of continuing to sound like an uneducated basement smark who thinks because he's watched wrestling for years that he's as smart (or worse yet, smarter than) the people who actually produce the shows/PPV's he watches.

If I were TNA I would ask Sting to make Sting/Hogan and Sting's last match two separate events in order to maximize revenue.

However, it is his choice and I have been told by many TNA marks that I have no common sense and I am a mark. A mark for what I don't know but that is because I lack common sense.

I also feel as though picking Hogan is a slap in the face to Flair since Flair and Sting have way longer history and a better history of matches. Plus Flair can still put on a better match than Hogan.

I'll make a deal with TNA. Have this also be Hogan's absolute last match and I'll buy the ppv.
Seems all the flack is Sting's fans wanting a better send off match for him. While Hogan's name might bring much better hype to the show, who REALLY wants to see this match? Don't get offended, it's not disrespect. It's just a fact that Sting could have an amazing last match with someone that can still go. TNA could use some history building here and Hogan/Sting ain't it.
Why wouldn't' you want to see Sting go out having a great match?

Ah hell. Damn. One has to assume Sting's last wish is to kill off Hulk Hogan once and for all. I mean why else would he want to drag Hulk back into the ring? I wouldn't have much of a problem with the actual match. But this would be Sting's last deed in pro wrestling. I would much rather play off the same scenario he went through against AJ Styles in 2009. This would be great as a big non-main event match, but in my eyes that's a waste of a chance if is Sting's last match.

My first post. yippeee!!!. Now thats out of the way. Zeven Zion, I have been reading WZ post for a couple of years and out of all users who have posted here, I HATE you the most. You are a prime example of what a wrestling fan should not be. A "MARK" personified.

As far as Sting vs Hogan. Wasn't it Hogan who said a week ago that if he were to wrestle his last match, he would want to do it against Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Hogan should have wrestled his last match against Stone cold at Wrestlemania because that is what he deserves. To wrestle his last match in front of 70,000 people and not 500 people in the Impact Zone.

Tna fans should ask Hogan on Twitter. Who would you prefer wrestling in your last match. Hogan vs Austin at WM, or Hogan vs Sting at Bound for glory. I think we all know the answer to that but do the Tna fans know the answer to that?

My first post. yippeee!!!. Now thats out of the way. Zeven Zion, I have been reading WZ post for a couple of years and out of all users who have posted here, I HATE you the most. You are a prime example of what a wrestling fan should not be. A "MARK" personified.
Congratulations. You discovered indirect trolling. And then fed it.
As far as Sting vs Hogan. Wasn't it Hogan who said a week ago that if he were to wrestle his last match, he would want to do it against Stone Cold Steve Austin.
Wasn't it Sting who said he wanted HIS last match versus Hogan?
Hogan should have wrestled his last match against Stone cold at Wrestlemania because that is what he deserves. To wrestle his last match in front of 70,000 people and not 500 people in the Impact Zone.
That's not even half of what the Impact Zone holds. But thank's for trying to sound smart. It's been stated for years that Hogan and Austin had that chance in 2002 but Austin wanted nothing to do with Hogan even when Hogan offered to job. It's not what he deserves, it's what he wants.

Tna fans should ask Hogan on Twitter. Who would you prefer wrestling in your last match. Hogan vs Austin at WM, or Hogan vs Sting at Bound for glory. I think we all know the answer to that but do the Tna fans know the answer to that?
You a mind reader now or something? You're just as deluded as your new friend Zeven. This isn't about what the fan's want or what "Hogan" deserves. This is about Sting. Who doesn't want a thing to do with WWE. I know my answer. I want Hogan to stick to promoting and not kill himself. I don't hate the idea of Hogan vs Sting, but I don't endorse it. I'd much rather have THIS IS ABOUT STING'S LAST MATCH, NOT HULK HOGAN Sting wrestle someone young who retires him for his last match than Hulk Hogan. But if that's what STING WANTS, who's to say no to the legend?

Congratulations. You discovered indirect trolling. And then fed it.

Wasn't it Sting who said he wanted HIS last match versus Hogan?

That's not even half of what the Impact Zone holds. But that's for trying to sound smart. It's been stated for years that Hogan and Austin had that chance in 2002 but Austin wanted nothing to do with Hogan even when Hogan offered to job. It's not what he deserves, it's what he wants.

You a mind reader now or something? You're just as deluded as your new friend Zeven. This isn't about what the fan's want or what "Hogan" deserves. This is about Sting. Who doesn't want a thing to do with WWE. I know my answer. I want Hogan to stick to promoting and not kill himself. I don't hate the idea of Hogan vs Sting, but I don't endorse it. I'd much rather have THIS IS ABOUT STING'S LAST MATCH, NOT HULK HOGAN Sting wrestle someone young who retires him for his last match than Hulk Hogan. But if that's what STING WANTS, who's to say no to the legend?

We don't usually agree, but I certainly do in this case. While Hogan/Sting isn't something I would readily endorse, and I cringe thinking about Hogan taking one wrong step and hurting himself in the match, I don't think anyone is going to tell Sting no. If he wants Hogan, he's going to get Hogan.

We know not to expect a masterpiece, more like a match from Heroes of Wrestling (not Jake Roberts' though), but the nostalgia might sell and Sting's going to get what he wants. At the very least, if Sting is never going to go to WWE, which looks likely at this point, it's best to have his last match at BFG which could draw the biggest TNA crowd of the year. Not in love with the idea, but I'll accept it for Sting's sake as long as Hogan can drop the ego and make it all about Sting, something he was unable to do in 1997.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back