Sting Comments on Facing the Undertaker and Joining WWE

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
Sting appeared on 97.9/105.5 KISS-FM on Thursday to promote TNA/Impact Wrestling at Wembley Stadium. During the interview, he commented on the one wrestler he still wants to face, and the potential to still join WWE at some point in his career:

Which wrestler he'd like to face that he hasn't yet: "I'd have to say the top one... Undertaker. I think wrestling fans have wanted to see Sting vs. Undertaker for years. I think between his gimmick and mine, it could be pretty cool. We could do some pretty cool stuff."

If he has any regrets over not joining WWE: "Yes and no. Who wouldn't want to say that they've done at least one WrestleMania? I'm not going to lie to you, I wish I had done one of those. I've had great conversations with him [Vince McMahon] over the years and been real close on three or four different occasions. There was always a need met or desire of mine met with WCW or with TNA, so I stayed."

When was the last time he almost joined WWE: "Last year... we were very, very close."

--

I've said for a while now that as incredible as it might be to see Sting walk out to a WWE ring at an event like Wrestlemania, in front of hundreds of thousands of screaming fans, I just don't like the idea of a guy with the legacy and loyalty as strong and dominant as Sting's to go to WWE just to lose to the Undertaker. It seems totally fruitless to me.

From a selfish POV, I hope he sticks with TNA and retires there too, but I'm sure this thread will soon be riddled with fans clamoring for him to bow out on the biggest stage possible, and they're certainly entitled to that.

Thoughts on this?

i admire sting for staying loyal to TNA but would sure love to see him have more thanj ust a one off match in the WWE, he could deffo come over and have a run as heel and have a feud with CM Punk and still wrestle taker at a future Wrestlemania

One of the things that intrigued me about Sting is that he never wrestled for WWF/E. Now I've heard for years how he should've jumped shipped or could've made more money "up north". To be honest though, I looked at him staying with WCW and later TNA as part of his appeal. I don't know how strongly he thought about working for Vince over the years, but he seems to be content where he's at right now. I also agree that someone with Sting's following and career shouldn't just come into WWE around WM just to lose a potentially entertaining match to UT. If he did or had decided to come to WWE, the smart move would be to have him debut right after WM like they've done in the past. Anyway, I'm glad that Sting is currently sticking with TNA.

I have always liked how Sting has stayed away from WWE. I do, however, have no problem with him going to WWE for a short span to end his career on the greatest wrestling stage of them all. Sting is in my opinion the tenth best wrestling entertainer of the past century after Flair, Hogan, Bruno, Thez, Savage, Michaels, Hitman, Austin and The Rock. Taker to me is #11. Taker will be a legend of wrestling, way more remembered than Sting likely due to where he wrestled, but Sting had the better career, the better matches and the better longevity. He wasn't one dimensional either.

I think Sting will eventually come around and work 1 match in WWE, one high profile match. And people WILL care. I just hope it comes before he's too damned old.

I agree with you, IDR. As much as Sting deserves one last "high profile" match, I don't particularly like the idea of him going to the WWE. As it's been said numerous times before, part of Sting's appeal comes from him never working for Vince McMahon Jr.

I don't think I'd lose a lot of respect for Steve Borden if he did work a Wrestlemania match, but like IDR said: I don't see the point in losing a match to The Undertaker...even if it is a hell of a match, I don't really see an upside (other than a big pay day for Mr. Borden).

If Sting were to leave TNA for the WWE, I'd like to see him work against at least a few other wrestlers. I'd absolutely LOVE to see a match between Sting & Shawn Michaels, but obviously Shawn wouldn't be coming out of retirement...even for a match of that magnitude. Another dream match would/could be Sting vs. The Rock, but obviously Undertaker is the one that everyone is clamoring for.

When the WWF first bought the rights to all things WCW back in 2001, all I was hoping for was Sting to show up on Raw. Sting was one of my favorite wrestlers (if not my absolute favorite) back then, and I just wanted to see him working again. Luckily, I got to see him working for TNA. I have no complaints for Sting's career over the past few years. He's had some stellar matches for a man his age (with TNA), and some decent storylines as well. If Sting never ends up in a WWE ring, that would be absolutely fine with me. If he does end up wrestling for the "E", that would be okay too...although I'd prefer that he doesn't.

Am I the only one who has little to no interest in seeing Sting versus the Undertaker in 2012 or beyond? I figure this year is likely Taker's final WM, possibly one more next year. Obviously Taker versus Sting is not happening this year, and by April of 2013, both guys will be even more shadows of their former selves. Sting is no spring chicken anymore either; didn't he just injure his foot again recently?

I would have loved to see Sting/Undertaker about 5 years ago. I would have loved to see Sting follow up on that with matches against guys like HBK, HHH, Punk, Orton, or Cena, with a concluding rematch against Taker again. But that ship has sailed, and it would be an injustice to both guys for it to happen in 2012 or 2013.

Gretzky/Lemieux. Magic/Bird. Great matches which had their day which I wouldn't want to see today. Let Taker wrap up his illustrious career in WWE, and let Sting do the same in TNA. Leave the fans wondering what could have been, rather than thinking, that's it?

Which of course makes me a huge hypocrite. Because seeing Sting descend from the rafters in a WWE to cut a promo, only to be interrupted by darkness and the gong, that would still be a mark out moment. Logic may say one thing, but in all likelihood, emotion would say something else.

I think we'll see him in WWE on a Legends contract. He will probably do a handful of matches (5 at most) and call it a career. I don't however see him holding a title (although I'd pop like mad if he did). He would face the Undertaker... but not at Mania... I'd guess SummerSlam (I'm biased... since I live in So Cal...) Who knows? I'd be screaming like a 5 year old on Christmas if he did sign...

Am I the only one who has little to no interest in seeing Sting versus the Undertaker in 2012 or beyond? I figure this year is likely Taker's final WM, possibly one more next year. Obviously Taker versus Sting is not happening this year, and by April of 2013, both guys will be even more shadows of their former selves. Sting is no spring chicken anymore either; didn't he just injure his foot again recently?

I would have loved to see Sting/Undertaker about 5 years ago. I would have loved to see Sting follow up on that with matches against guys like HBK, HHH, Punk, Orton, or Cena, with a concluding rematch against Taker again. But that ship has sailed, and it would be an injustice to both guys for it to happen in 2012 or 2013.

Gretzky/Lemieux. Magic/Bird. Great matches which had their day which I wouldn't want to see today. Let Taker wrap up his illustrious career in WWE, and let Sting do the same in TNA. Leave the fans wondering what could have been, rather than thinking, that's it?

Which of course makes me a huge hypocrite. Because seeing Sting descend from the rafters in a WWE to cut a promo, only to be interrupted by darkness and the gong, that would still be a mark out moment. Logic may say one thing, but in all likelihood, emotion would say something else.

Two things HateHabs:

1. Has WWE done the descent from the rafters thing since Owen?

2. You hate old people more than anyone I have ever met. ;)

Sting/UT would probably be cool but there is no guarantee. They are both long time faces without any history or anything to feud about (what does UT's WM streak mean to a guy that has never fought at WM?). I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a Sting match and both guys have slowed down a ton. Overall I'd like to see it since it's not one of those things that is better left as a fantasy but I'm not going to get too excited that it will happen let alone live up to the hype.

Tounge in cheek: Anyone here think that maybe just maybe, that when UT was focused on the WM sign this past Monday he was really looking up to the rafters to tell HHH as COO to go get him Sting? MINDS BLOWN!

Sting appeared on 97.9/105.5 KISS-FM on Thursday to promote TNA/Impact Wrestling at Wembley Stadium. During the interview, he commented on the one wrestler he still wants to face, and the potential to still join WWE at some point in his career:

--

I've said for a while now that as incredible as it might be to see Sting walk out to a WWE ring at an event like Wrestlemania, in front of hundreds of thousands of screaming fans, I just don't like the idea of a guy with the legacy and loyalty as strong and dominant as Sting's to go to WWE just to lose to the Undertaker. It seems totally fruitless to me.

From a selfish POV, I hope he sticks with TNA and retires there too, but I'm sure this thread will soon be riddled with fans clamoring for him to bow out on the biggest stage possible, and they're certainly entitled to that.

Thoughts on this?

I don't see losing to the Undertaker at Wrestlemania as being fruitless for a guy who's done everything in his career he could ever want to do except appear in a high profile match at Wrestlemania. I don't think Hogan would say losing to the Rock was fruitless. Being on that stage in one of the most anticipated matches in history would be great for him no matter what the outcome of the match was.

I don't see losing to the Undertaker at Wrestlemania as being fruitless for a guy who's done everything in his career he could ever want to do except appear in a high profile match at Wrestlemania. I don't think Hogan would say losing to the Rock was fruitless. Being on that stage in one of the most anticipated matches in history would be great for him no matter what the outcome of the match was.

In his first and only ever Wrestlemania? Yeah, that's fruitless, especially if it's his only match in the company.

Difference between Hogan and Sting is that Hogan spent years with WWE and main evented Wrestlemania before.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

If he did come to the E, what would make you think he would lose to the Undertaker? I think if 'Taker would WANT to lose to someone, it would be to someone like Sting. A guy with so much history in the business. Even more than UT.

If he did come to the E, what would make you think he would lose to the Undertaker? I think if 'Taker would WANT to lose to someone, it would be to someone like Sting. A guy with so much history in the business. Even more than UT.

Not a snowballs chance in hell does the Undertaker take the pin to a guy walking into the company (regardless of who he is) for the first (and likely last) time. What purpose would that serve him? What does that say for him, in fact, as a performer, and worst yet... you think Sting is the man to beat the Undertaker's undefeated streak at Wrestlemania?

Come on, man. Perspective.

In his first and only ever Wrestlemania? Yeah, that's fruitless, especially if it's his only match in the company.

Difference between Hogan and Sting is that Hogan spent years with WWE and main evented Wrestlemania before.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

Dude, it's far from fruitless, especially now. You are talking about a guy who is 52 years old. To expect that he would walk into a company he's never worked for before at a full 10 years older than any active wrestler in the company (Taker and HHH are part timers) and think that he should be winning a match at Wrestlemania is absurd. Granted I wouldn't bring him in at this point for that very reason, but your view on Sting is and has always been warped.

To expect to walk into a company and just beat whichever of their talent at their biggest show of the year? That makes a lot less sense than going to said company, taking on one of its biggest names of the past 25 years, giving him a hell of a fight, and coming up a bit short. It's not like he'd be the first one either. Men like HBK, HHH, Batista, Edge, etc. have done exactly that. There's no shame in it. In fact, it's pretty awesome and if done right, wouldn't even remotely be about the W or L. Imagine a moment where the Undertaker tips his cap to Sting and Sting returns the favor. That moment alone would make it worth it for wrestling fans. If you'd still be focused on Sting losing, that's pretty sad.

Still, if it didn't happen last year, it ain't happening now. No reason for it to happen. This is likely Taker's last match to end up at 20-0. No reason to further parade him on when that's a great number to stop at.

^^ I agree and also I agree with those who have said that these two men's primes have passed and the match we would get would be not up to the standard that they would put on, dissapointing themselves and letting their fans down on what could have been if it was even five years ago...

In any case Sting not going to the WWE is more of his gimmick than anything else right now and I'm sure as the Icon of TNA, and being in his Commish/non-wrestling role it suits him to keep his legacy rolling.

Sting will never come to WWE!!!! That is that, too much time has passed and he is the most famous wrestler never to have worked a WWE match. That is his legacy. He will never want to change that no matter what money is on the table and you cant blame him for not coming because of how untrustworthy Vince can be.
Also for the thread:
Sting would wrestle Taker at wrestlemania and say nobody in WWE has been able to do it over the years so here comes 'ME' the Icon to beat the Phenom!!! There persona would match and it would be great as two veterans battle it out. The top guy in WWE for the last twenty years. (In the sense that hes been at the upper end for 20years not tht he is definately top guy in the company) and the guy who has been at the top of wrestling outside of the WWE (same sort of thing). Sting would loose as they all would but in no way would it overshadow his career. And it would be a great way for taker to bow out.
Taker atm should only bow out to this dream match or a Lesnar match because realistic it seems inapprioate for anyone in WWE on the current roster to beat him,

However this is all pie in the sky. Sting will never be in a WWE ring. He may of been close but the simple fact is at this stage he will never go because tht alone would tarnish his legacy!! #Legacy over money!!

--

Thoughts on this?

I have never been the biggest Sting fan. Maybe it's because I "The Crow" is my favorite movie and he just did a blatant rip-off of the character...but I've always seen him as a 1-dimensional character. Taker has had MANY different versions of his character over the years, Sting (up until the last year) has had only ONE.

Though a Sting match against Taker would be a fan boys wet dream, I agree with you. Having him come in for one Mania only to job to Taker IS fruitless. The only possible way I could see it work is if Sting went over Taker...which would SUCK!!!

I admire his loyaly to a company. Though selfish of me to say, I think it sucks. Taker has been loyal to WWE and look at some of the matches he has put on. Sting was loyal to WCW and now TNA, and look at what he as done. Apples and oranges I know, but still.

I could see the setup for the match, and even having Sting come out on top COULD work...it'd be the story of no one in WWE could ever beat him, until Sting, the top star of the rival company comes in and finally does the job. Again...I think that would suck.

As far as Sting coming to WWE...I could possibly see him ending it in WWE, possibly. HOF for sure once he is retired though.

I can see Sting in the WWE... and I can see him fighting Taker... I just can't see it happening at WM.

Obviously that match wouldn't happen at this years WM, and it's really looking like this could be Taker's last WM. But what about Summerslam?

Yes it makes the most sense for Taker to end his career at WM, and all things being equal that's probably where it will end. But if the WWE could get Sting, and do it within the next few months... then I can see a scenario where they'd hold off Taker's retirement to work a program with an incoming Sting... and have Sting go over him at SS.

After that, Sting could work with a couple other guys leading up to his own retirement match at WM next year. Then sign the Legends contract he deserves (basically his pro wrestling pension) and do the occasional spot appearance to promote DVD's or whatever else they want to put out with him.

It would be good for Sting and help secure his future (I'm sure he's pretty set anyways, but it can't hurt). Definitely a lot more than the good will of some Internet fans who want him to be the guy that never worked for McMahon.

Besides, just from his own words, it sounds like working in the WWE and working a WM is something that he does want before he retires. Hopefully they can work it out so that he gets that matchup with Taker as well.

I was really excited when I read this, not only as a huge sting fan but a fan of good wrestling story lines. Like Sting said "who wouldn't want to do a wrestle mania" but I do agree that a one off match would be totally pointless. If this was the case then he should stay and retire in TNA possibly becoming their commissioner or something. The only way I would want this to happen is if he (Sting) had a somewhat lengthy run in the 'E' say six months to a year at the minimum. I was talking to my friends and we were thinking, say if he debuts just after mania and goes till the next years mania. Besides a scenario such as that I don't see a reason really for Sting to enter WWE, the HOF with no doubt but perhaps not as an active wrestler.

Dude, it's far from fruitless, especially now. You are talking about a guy who is 52 years old. To expect that he would walk into a company he's never worked for before at a full 10 years older than any active wrestler in the company (Taker and HHH are part timers) and think that he should be winning a match at Wrestlemania is absurd. Granted I wouldn't bring him in at this point for that very reason, but your view on Sting is and has always been warped.

I wasn't concise enough... allow me a small reprieve:

I didn't mean that he deserves to win, or that he should be going over the Undertaker. I meant that it's pointless for Sting to finally appear in WWE after all these years, just to lose. It'd be just as stupid for him to come in and beat 'Taker, who's built a legacy in WWE which he also deserves to retire with, which is why I said this is fruitless. Both possible outcomes are awful IMO.

To expect to walk into a company and just beat whichever of their talent at their biggest show of the year? That makes a lot less sense than going to said company, taking on one of its biggest names of the past 25 years, giving him a hell of a fight, and coming up a bit short. It's not like he'd be the first one either. Men like HBK, HHH, Batista, Edge, etc. have done exactly that. There's no shame in it. In fact, it's pretty awesome and if done right, wouldn't even remotely be about the W or L. Imagine a moment where the Undertaker tips his cap to Sting and Sting returns the favor. That moment alone would make it worth it for wrestling fans. If you'd still be focused on Sting losing, that's pretty sad.

Still, if it didn't happen last year, it ain't happening now. No reason for it to happen. This is likely Taker's last match to end up at 20-0. No reason to further parade him on when that's a great number to stop at.

To you, maybe. Not to me. Thing about this point you're trying to make is that you, like someone earlier noted, are comparing apples and oranges. This is not just about two legends going at it for a final showdown. It's about Sting making his likely only ever WWE appearance on the biggest possible stage. If you don't think losing a match there would matter any, then IMO it's your view that's warped, not mine.

HBK, HHH, Batista, Edge, etc. do not compare here. All of them spent the majority of their careers (if not entirely) with WWE, so there's no stipulation or aura hanging over their WM matches the way there would be with Sting.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict this. If not this year, then next year. Sting WILL face The Undertaker at WrestleMania. Vince will make sure that this happens. He will wave so much money in Sting's face and maybe even as an bonus give him a run w/the one of the titles. It's gonna happen. I know I'm seeing this from the standpoint where it would benefit Sting, which it will, but it's also the right the to do, IMO. The reason why is because Sting knows he wants to go out on top and be remembered as one of the best of all time, and at the end of the day, you can be loyal to someone or something for a long time & never fully be rewarded the way you should be. Sting & the WWE need each other, even if on the short term. I see Sting being that guy next year to take on The Undertaker. Here's to the future.

Can someone who has followed Sting's backstage career answer this for me: is he really egotistical? Because I think for most everyone, it would be an honor to wrestle Taker at Mania (especially if it were his last), even if they were going to lose. Unless he has a huge ego, I don't think he'd object to it.

Can someone who has followed Sting's backstage career answer this for me: is he really egotistical? Because I think for most everyone, it would be an honor to wrestle Taker at Mania (especially if it were his last), even if they were going to lose. Unless he has a huge ego, I don't think he'd object to it.

You're polarizing this.

Again, this is not just a matter of two legends facing each other. There is an auro surrounding the very idea of Sting not only signing with the WWE, but in wrestling what is likely to be his only match for them at a major PPV event.

You can sit here and point fingers all you like, but the bottom line is that this is a much larger decision than most people seem to be willing to admit on both parties' accounts.

Sting made one of the worst decisions in the history of wrestling.

In his radio interview Sting claimed that WCW and now TNA have always given him what he needed. Last year the WWE offered to induct Sting into the WWE Hall of Fame and have him wrestle the Undertaker at Wrestlemania. Lets not forget that Mania was in Atlanta, Stings WCW hometown for years, and in front of 70,000 fans. When Sting turned down the offer WWE went with Triple H vs. Taker and the two had an incredible 30 minute match that was one of the best of the year.

Sting decided to stay in TNA and was rewarded for this by being given the TNA championship. A few weeks later he defended it at Victory Road against Jeff Hardy. Hardy came to the ring high and was pinned in 2 minutes as the fans chanted "bullshit". The match was so embarrassing that TNA made a formal apology to its fans and offered them free web access to make up for the ruined PPV.

Sting had two choices: The first would have allowed him to have an epic match 20 years in the making against the biggest star in wrestling in front of 70,000 of his hometown fans. The second saw him be totally embarrassed by the company he worked for in front of a jam packed crowd of 900 people.

People like to claim that Sting made the right choice because he would have gained nothing from losing to the Undertaker. Losing clean to Hornswaggle at a WWE house show would have been better for his career than the crap he went through with Jeff Hardy.

Sting says TNA always gives him what he needs, apparently he needed to be one half of the most embarrassing and disgraceful main event in the history of wrestling.

You're polarizing this.

Again, this is not just a matter of two legends facing each other. There is an auro surrounding the very idea of Sting not only signing with the WWE, but in wrestling what is likely to be his only match for them at a major PPV event.

You can sit here and point fingers all you like, but the bottom line is that this is a much larger decision than most people seem to be willing to admit on both parties' accounts.

I understand that. I don't think it's an easy decision and obviously it's a large decision for Sting, that's why it hasn't happened yet. I just don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he could understand how big of a deal the Streak is and be willing to get pinned for it.

Of course this is just all me speculating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back