State of the WWE - Is it better since Punk walked out?

BestWrestlingOpinions

Getting Noticed By Management
It's been almost 2 months now since Punk walked out. Up to the date that he was part of the company, the WM card would look something like this, according to the latest reports:

-Batista vs Orton
-Bryan vs Sheamus
-Punk vs HHH
-Cena vs Wyatt
-Lesnar vs Taker
-random

Now, 3 weeks away from WM, the card is hugely changed:

-Bryan vs HHH
-Batista vs Orton (vs Bryan)
-rest

No one is sure about this, but it seems like Punk walking out changed a lot of things, especially things directly related to Bryan's future. From just a random match with Sheamus, he is now still the hottest thing going AND is probably going to have one of the best WM segments and moments and reactions ever.

Like or hate Bryan, the moment will be huge, so this is a positive for us as fans and for Bryan.

Sure, with Punk leaving, we lost an entertaining segment week in and week out and a possible good match at WM, but I think it's worth it. Punk was on his way out of the door in the summer anyway, so at the moment, it seems like a fair trade to have Punk walk out and have Bryan do his thing.

Apart from that though, I feel like the WWE is starting to steer the wheel a little bit ever since Punk walked out. They seem to be giving their younger stars more ground to shine now. They are probably shaken up just a bit and the think that anyone can walk out if they are displeased with what they are given. They seem to be giving the younger guys a lot more now, so that they can keep doing what they do. They gave us the Shield vs the Wyatts.

Also, Punk unclogged one secured spot at the WM card, so that spot has to be filled somehow. This calls for another star to step up and take that spot and will obviously work wonders for him.

In general, even though as fans we lost Punk, it seems like we got a lot more in return. We will get Bryan's huge moment, we get the younger stars stepping it up and we also have this feeling of uncertainty about what is gonna happen.

What do you guys think? Punk walking out, does it work for the better after all? Considering the quality of the program the past two months, was it a wise move on his part to walk away? After all, if the product becomes better, then we shouldn't bash him for walking out, because it worked in our favor.

It's ridiculous that people would believe everything they read on the internet.

Sheamus-Bryan was never going to happen.

It was just your typical dirtsheet BS.

If you think Bryan wasn't eventually going to be in the WWE Title match at mania or that punk did a "favor" for Bryan then I really feel bad for you.

Also, Punk having entertaining segments every week? Well we all have our opinions.

The last entertaining segment punk was in (in my opinion) was his promo with Heyman... LAST SUMMER!

Absolutely. For one I never liked CM Punk and the overall product is better. Daniel Bryan vs. HHH makes way more sense, and Nothing really has changed for the worse. Back in the day when Austin got injured, WWF didn't feel the same until around Wrestlemania 2000 when everyone finally adjusted to him being gone. Same for when Hogan left in the early 90's and when Rock left in 2003. Even though I'm not a Cena fan, when he got injured it felt like there was something missing. The biggest one that I can recall is when Edge got injured in 2007, I actually stopped watching for a good while because it didn't feel the same. When certain guys leave you can just feel the void and it is usually a huge turn off and ratings killer. The ratings have been pretty much the same if not better since he's been gone and the company is in no way suffering. Cm Punk's leaving is actually a blessing in disguise.

It's ridiculous that people would believe everything they read on the internet.

Sheamus-Bryan was never going to happen.

It was just your typical dirtsheet BS.

If you think Bryan wasn't eventually going to be in the WWE Title match at mania or that punk did a "favor" for Bryan then I really feel bad for you.

Also, Punk having entertaining segments every week? Well we all have our opinions.

The last entertaining segment punk was in (in my opinion) was his promo with Heyman... LAST SUMMER!

Well, sure, Punk didn't do his best work the past months, but they were watchable segments, and today, watchable = entertaining.

Back to the point though, I never believed that Bryan vs Sheamus would happen, but it seems like Punk vs HHH was a lock. If that would happen, then how would Bryan get his title shot? I can see in the chamber, Christian being out and Punk being in his place, but then what? Punk would get eliminated by some interference by Kane/HHH? How would Bryan get eliminated then? By the same two guys? Wouldn't that lead to Punk & Bryan vs Kane and HHH?

What I'm trying to say is that, although I didn't believe that Bryan vs Sheamus would happen, I couldn't see how Bryan would enter the title picture, therefore leaving Bryan with an uncertain future for WM. Sure, the title match always seemed like the best option, but it seemed rather unlikely that he would get a title shot without having huge gaps in the storyline. The fans crapping all over Batista, and the main event of WM as a result, forced Vince to think of something else to try and satisfy as many of the fans as possible. With Punk not being there, they had to give most of the fans what they wanted, and did we ever get it.

But my point still stands that all this is a direct result of Punk leaving. If he was still around, I bet that he would have the Bryan treatment right now and Bryan would be at best tagging with Punk in some sort against the Authority.

Absolutely. For one I never liked CM Punk and the overall product is better. Daniel Bryan vs. HHH makes way more sense, and Nothing really has changed for the worse. Back in the day when Austin got injured, WWF didn't feel the same until around Wrestlemania 2000 when everyone finally adjusted to him being gone. Same for when Hogan left in the early 90's and when Rock left in 2003. Even though I'm not a Cena fan, when he got injured it felt like there was something missing. The biggest one that I can recall is when Edge got injured in 2007, I actually stopped watching for a good while because it didn't feel the same. When certain guys leave you can just feel the void and it is usually a huge turn off and ratings killer. The ratings have been pretty much the same if not better since he's been gone and the company is in no way suffering. Cm Punk's leaving is actually a blessing in disguise.

Thing is though, Punk didn't do anything significant to feel his absence this time. When he left after WM, there was a huge gap to be filled. His absence right there was immense. Now, not so much, because he was not part of anything big. Imaging if HHH leaves now. Things might go better, than he has been such a focal point for the show, than if he leaves, the show won't be the same.

Before Austin did his famous walkout in 2002, he missed the raw after WMX8 and nobody noticed he was gone.

There was Rock, Hogan, Hall and Nash storyline. There was a new champ (Hunter). There was the debut of Brock Lesnar.

I think WWE has plenty of great storylines for the moment.

Everyone forgot about punk.

Punk, just like Austin in 02, didn't do anything impressive before he walked out.

But my point still stands that all this is a direct result of Punk leaving. If he was still around, I bet that he would have the Bryan treatment right now and Bryan would be at best tagging with Punk in some sort against the Authority.

Maybe you need to re-watch the Rumble.

If punk didn't leave, the hijacking would be 100% for Bryan but instead punk walking out made the hijacking 60% for punk and 40% for Bryan.

Punk hurt the YES movement.

At the rumble, fans were going absolutely nuts. Punk leaving made Bryan an afterthought. If punk really believed what he said about this being Bryan's year then he shouldn't have stole the spotlight from him like that.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying punk did anything bad to Bryan but he certainly shouldn't be credited for Bryan's push.

No way was Batista vs Orton going to main event mania with the reaction Batista got.

And who told you Punk was going to be in Christian's place? If punk stayed, plans would have changed, maybe a punk vs kane match would've happened at EC.

I will state before I write this, that CM Punk and Seth Rollins have been my current favorite wrestlers for at least 6-7 Years and I will try to be as unbiased as possible. Obviously I felt the impact of him leaving, and do miss his appearances on TV. But I haven't really been compelled by him since he fought Taker at WM29 or Lesnar at Summerslam. He was just a wrestler on a certain spot on the card, and now that he isn't there, another has automatically taken his place. I don't think that it's better or worse with him leaving. And with one big star out of the sky, that leaves room for others to to try and shine.

Maybe you need to re-watch the Rumble.

If punk didn't leave, the hijacking would be 100% for Bryan but instead punk walking out made the hijacking 60% for punk and 40% for Bryan.

Punk hurt the YES movement.

At the rumble, fans were going absolutely nuts. Punk leaving made Bryan an afterthought. If punk really believed what he said about this being Bryan's year then he shouldn't have stole the spotlight from him like that.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying punk did anything bad to Bryan but he certainly shouldn't be credited for Bryan's push.

No way was Batista vs Orton going to main event mania with the reaction Batista got.

And who told you Punk was going to be in Christian's place? If punk stayed, plans would have changed, maybe a punk vs kane match would've happened at EC.

Punk vs Kane? Did anyone want to see that? Nah...
Sure, Punk's walkout took some spotlight off Bryan, but here we are, the Punk chants fade away slowly and Bryan is back where he was (almost). As time goes by, walk out or not, if the fans get slapped in the face repeatedly for 4 months and their guy doesn't get the job done, then it is obvious that the YES trend and the support for Bryan won't be as vivid as it once was. Put this into perspective. Let's say that Bryan doesn't defeat HHH. Do you think that people will keep chanting YES the next month? I don't think so. WM is coming up and everyone is expecting the big moment, so they keep on chanting, but this is the last straw. If people don't get what they want, they will start hijacking (whatever) shows, no just for Bryan, but for the whole product. Bryan might die down, sadly. I think that the biggest factor as to why he is still as popular now is because they pay off is so damn close.

To me, WWE isn't better or worse without Punk, but I don't feel Punk's absence. I only get reminded of him when fans get stupid and start chanting his name.

On the other hand, if Punk's leave got Bryan to where he is, then so be it. But I don't believe that. I believe Bryan was going to get a push regardless.

I don't think its hurt WWE one bit since CM Punk left. I never believed either that Daniel Bryan was going to face Sheamus at Wrestlemania. I figured he would be in the Title Match somehow either as Champion or someone putting him in it or him winning one more Match to get to the Main Event.

Call me a pessimist, Call me an angry whiner but the state of the WWE has never been more pathetic. What are talented wrestlers like Damien Sandow , Jack Swagger, Cesaro, and Christian going to do at Wrestlemania XXX? Participate in Andre the Ginormous Goofball memorial battle royal? Why aren't Rob Van Dam and Chris Jericho participating? Oh, that's right. Neither the WWE care about actually talented guys like them, nor would you guys care because everything revolves around Daniel Bryan ever since Punk left and even before. The state of the WWE has never been so pathetic. I'm uninterested in Daniel Bryan to the point of being depressed if I think about the WWE/Wrestlemania anymore, and CM Punk's absence has only worsened my woes.

The WWE hasn't treated Chris Jericho as an important superstar but instead the most overrated old-ass wrestler by the name of the Undertaker will be doing his same Lame-ass schtick this year at WM. Despite what could've been a very good match and story, he has already ruined his feud with Lesnar because of his Uncle Fester appearance and the same old deadman schtick

I'd have enjoyed WM XXX, at least the story between Batista vs Orton had it not been you disgusting DB fans that ruined his big return and also that story.

I could go on, but I suppose that's enough bitterness and dismay to express on one single post about the State of the WWE ever since Punk walked out.

It has been better but it has more to do with this being WM season than anything else. Punk was but one cog in the wheel. Most shows prior to Punk's exit were performed with 85℅ (pulling a number out of my ass) of the show in no way had anything to do with Punk. Now we have 100%. Not a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

Hogan's return, UT's return, figuring out why Cena is working with Wyatt, HoF announcements, WWE Network news, hijacking/occupations, Bryan's ascendence, Shield drama, Lesnar smash, and the oddness of the Orton/Batista pairing have made Raw a more enjoyable or at least more interesting show.

The real time to ask this question is after a longer cycle without Punk. Maybe after SummerSlam.

All in all, I think WWE's been better for the past few months. One of the reasons I think that isn't necessarily so much to do with CM Punk being gone, but that Triple H is now basically in charge of WWE creative. Stephanie has been in that spot for several years but she's no longer in charge of creative, rather she's now part of the corporate face of WWE. Creative now reports to Triple H and even though Vince ultimately has the final say on whatever, it seems that storylines seem to flow more smoothly than usual. Triple H, for instance, doesn't seem to have Vince's problem in which he sometimes changes his mind right smack in the middle of things due to losing interest. Trips tends to let things play out a bit longer.

We're in the middle of WrestleMania season, so energy is naturally up. However, in all honesty, the notion of having so much attention in WrestleMania this year focused on guys like Daniel Bryan, The Shield and The Wyatt Family instead of The Rock just makes everything feel MUCH fresher to me. For instance, we know that they're not going to disappear for the rest of the year once WrestleMania is over and it makes me far more invested in their programs.

The only effect of Punk walking out was it gave Daniel Bryan a massive push. Other than that, it didn't make an effect at all. As Punk said in his infamous 2011 promo, the WWE will still be around when he's gone and fans will still watch. Fast forward to today, here we are. I like CM Punk, but I can understand that he wanted to leave since it's a rough schedule for talent. If Punk comes back, it will be on his own terms.

Without knowing the inner-workings of WWE, it's impossible to say. But it would appear very likely that yes, it has helped.

WWE always seems to be a few years behind the curve, and they like to give their With WWE going in the direction of Punk vs. the Authority/HHH, it was apparent that Punk (now an establishment star) was being given a spotlight by mere virtue of his seniority, when in reality, the money was in Bryan-HHH or Bryan winning the WWE Championship.

Punk's anti-authority moment should've came back in 2011, when he was hot and attracting all sorts of attention for his pipebomb. That, by all means, should've lead to a slow build and a massive payoff at Mania, either with Punk vs. Cena (the face of the establishment) or Punk vs. HHH (with HHH as a heel). In this case, Punk was in the role Bryan has now, and WWE was favoring a quartet of establishment stars (Rock/Cena/Taker/Trips) by mere virtue of *their* seniority.

With WWE deadset on having Rock vs. Cena and Undertaker vs. HHH in an END OF AN ERA~!1 circle-jerk, Punk's momentum waned. They were insistent on keeping COO HHH as a super-mega-babyface, and suddenly, Punk's anti-corporate stance began to vanish (and when it resurfaced against HHH, Punk appeared more as a tweener or heel).

A Punk-HHH match at Mania 28 would've been huge, and (with proper continuity and a slow-build) legitimized Punk as a top guy on par with Cena (rather than slightly below). Punk-HHH at Mania 30 seemed like a day late and a dollar short.

To answer the question quite simply; Yes. The product has gotten better since CM Punk left.
However, that said; it doesn't mean that Punk leaving was a blessing and that he shouldn't come back if there is a possibility of him returning.
He is still a huge star in the WWE regardless of what has occured. It is just that it is Mania season, some other huge stars have returned, and the storylines have become more engaging because it is crunch time.

It will be obvious Post-Mania of how much value Punk brings as an alternative Fan Favourite to Daniel Bryan and John Cena. For the record, I think Punk leaving changed quite a bit of the original plans for Mania.

Actually, the Shield being turned face and facing Kane might well be a result of Punk leaving,lMO. Instead of having their break-up,tbh. There was a rumour early in the Punk saga that he was going to face Kane and DB was going to be placed in the HHH programme....

IMO the overall product has gone downhill since Jim Ross left the commentary table, I miss him loads, Michael Cole sucks and Jerry Lawler and his constant references to the WWE Network (which I can't get because I don't live in North America) are beyond annoying IMO.

On topic though, yes the product is better without CM "Wee! Look at me! I was Champion for 62 weeks!" Punk, I find his promos annoyingly boring to be honest.

The only down side is that damn "Yes" chant, the second most annoying chant ever after Austin and his "What" IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back