Springfield: A cracked style look

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
Springfield.png

For over 20 years the Simpsons have been entertaining the masses their home town is of course Springfield. This is probably one of the weirdest cities ever...why is that?

5. It seems that only one area of town gets a say so

The typical season of the Simpsons will have a part when Mayor Quimby will hold a town meeting in either City Hall or Springfield Elementary school. That meeting always has the same list of people there, probably about 200 hundred maximum, and usually a member of the Simpson family gets their opinion heard and they go with that crazy idea. We've seen it countless times, that idea backfires and they realise they should have listened to Lisa all along. Considering this effects the whole of the Town you'd think there would be a bit more of a say so? There's a lot more to Springfield than we've seen...according to Wikipedia there's also: Rats Nest, Bum Town, Chinatown, Crackton, East Springfield, Greek Town, Russian Town, Junkyville, Little Bangkok, Little Italy, Little Newark, Little Stockholm, Little Seattle, Ethnictown, the Jewish Lower East Side, Pressboard Estates, Recluse Ranch Estates, Skid Row, Springfield Harbor, Springfield Heights, Hyperion Drive, Springshire, Tibet Town, the wealthy Waverly Hills, the artistic borough of Sprooklyn, the Lincoln Park Village housing project, the flammable district, a gay district, a fast-food district, and a Russian district. None really get a say so in matters.

4. The environment follows no rules

We all remember the episode with the three eyed fish (Blinky), we also remember the movie where their environmental record was so bad a dome was put over the entire town. This is obviously due to the fact that there's a Nuclear Power plant that cares not where it dumps its waste as well as a tire fire that has been going on for decades. Or what about that time when litter was so bad they had to move five miles up the road?

Add into that the crazy weather, we've had really bad snow (Mr Plough that's my name...), heat waves, avalanches, tornado's, town wide flooding, acid rain, hurricanes, volcano eruptions and even Barts comet hitting the town!

3. There seems to be no real brands

The city lives in its own little bubble where brands seem to be city specific. Take Duff for example, where else can you get that? What about Krusty burger and Kentucky Fried Panda? Kwik-E-Mart seems to be a worldwide chain, but US wise there are very few. Add into that Mr Sparkle and other parody brands, also the fact that most products are Krusty branded. Do you trust these to be safe enough? So much so that only one city in the world has them? What if you just want a CocaCola? Exactly.

2. People are quite ignorant.

A number of characters in Springfield are not called by their name, but rather a description of them. There's The Sea Captain (Horatio McCallistar), The Rich Texan (Richard O'Hara and not from Texas), Crazy Cat Lady (Eleanor Abernathy), The guy who says ye-e-e-s (no one's ever asked his name!), The Blue haired lawyer (again no name), BumbleBee Man (Yaritza Burgos), many people in Springfield retirement Castle, Squeaky voiced teen (Jeremy Freedman) and of course Comic Book Guy (Jeff Albertson). Yet the townspeople are too ignorant to actually learn or even ask them of their names.

1. It's bloody dangerous

You have jailbird Snake, Sideshow Bob, Fat Tony and his mob, Herman (the one arm guy) and other criminals running around. It's a good job you have Springfield's law enforcement community to stop them. Oh wait what? The chief of Police is Wiggum, who is a bumbling buffoon which means the entire brains of the operation is Ed and Louie. That's it two competent policemen for the entire city. Amazing.

But hey what if you get sick? Well there's erm Dr Nick Rivera who you definitely do not want to go to and Dr Hibbert. Surely one competent doctor for the entire city is a bad idea. I won't even go in to mention any of Homer or Barts schemes, or Mr Burns famous plots.

It's just a dangerous place man!

Number 5 is clearly parodying traditional xenophobic and racist tensions within what used to be a predominantly white community. Back when the Simpsons first graced our television screens the town was not very diverse, but the immigrant slowly moved into Springfield making the white (or yellow?) community very nervous. Lisa, who is always portrayed as very tolerant, always knows the best solution, alluding to the fact that tolerance is the best option, but the racist voice causes the citizens of Springfield to give into fear and this always causes more problems.

Great list Lee.

I haven't seen a Simpson's episodes in years. I saw the movie in theaters but even before that I probably hadn't seen an episode in five years. Now after stating that, I love this show. Great stuff as obvious as Homer and Mr. Burns to the less frequently seen Side Show Bob. As I already stated I haven't seen an episode in quite some time so I'm not really sure how good it's doing (I heard it was suffering a dip in humor) but it's already been over 20 years. I don't know how smart it would be to doubt that this show could go on another 10.

More adherent to the topic though, I obviously agree. Of course this is a crazy town, anyone whose seen five minutes of an episode can attest to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back