Spider-Man: Homecoming Early Reviews

SSJPhenom

The Phenom of WZ
Much like Wonder Woman, Marvel has started holding screenings for the press and critics for its newest entry into the MCU and the word so far is; that it's the best Spider-Man movie ever.

Everything from the story, the action, the characters, to even the villain is being praised. I'm seeing things like Tom Holland is the best Peter Parker/Spider-Man ever, Michael Keaton is the best MCU villain since Tom Hiddleston, Iron Man doesn't steal the show, the high school kids actually look and act like high school kids, the action is amazing, Aunt May is wonderful, and there are a lot of surprises to be had in this movie that haven't been given away by the trailers.

I know that this movie wasn't really in trouble of being awful with it being a Marvel movie and all, but I'm glad to hear that it seems like Spider-Man has finally been done right and that we're going to get yet another great super hero flick in about 2 weeks. Right now, critics can't give formal reviews because the embargo is in effect until June 29th, but they have gone to twitter and everything is overwhelmingly positive.

Makes me even more excited for this flick. Is anyone else looking forward to Spider-Man: Homecoming?

I think it looks great. Totally a different feel than anything we've had before. Making an iconic superhero like Spider-Man feel like a hero in training will be a good dynamic.

but I'm glad to hear that it seems like Spider-Man has finally been done right

Not sure what your problem with the original Spider-Man series is (besides the 3rd one). Spider-Man 2 was literally rated as one of the best superhero movies ever before the MCU was a thing.

The positive reviews are shocking, given that I thought the trailers made it look like some hot Marvel garbage they're pushing out to make another few hundred million dollars.

If I don't see this Spider-Man in theaters, and I currently plan not to, it will be the first Marvel Studios movie I missed in theaters since The Incredible Hulk.

Not sure what your problem with the original Spider-Man series is (besides the 3rd one). Spider-Man 2 was literally rated as one of the best superhero movies ever before the MCU was a thing.

I have to admit, the first Spider-Man movie was pretty good and Spider-Man 2 is one of the greatest comic book movies of all time IMO. The problem I had with them, though, is that Tobey McGuire was a great Peter Parker, but his Spider-Man was meh. Then Spider-Man 3 happened and it was all just meh. In the Amazing Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield is a brilliant Spider-Man. Wise cracking, sarcastic, etc. Everything that Spider-Man should be, but his Peter Parker was just meh. This version, on the other hand, from what I've seen from Civil War and from what these early reviews are saying, Tom Holland is brilliant as both Parker and Spider-Man. So that's what I meant about Spider-Man finally done right.

The positive reviews are shocking, given that I thought the trailers made it look like some hot Marvel garbage they're pushing out to make another few hundred million dollars.

If I don't see this Spider-Man in theaters, and I currently plan not to, it will be the first Marvel Studios movie I missed in theaters since The Incredible Hulk.

Hard for me not to want to see it when the scenes with Spider-Man in Civil War were among the best in the entire movie.

I have to admit, the first Spider-Man movie was pretty good and Spider-Man 2 is one of the greatest comic book movies of all time IMO. The problem I had with them, though, is that Tobey McGuire was a great Peter Parker, but his Spider-Man was meh. Then Spider-Man 3 happened and it was all just meh. In the Amazing Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield is a brilliant Spider-Man. Wise cracking, sarcastic, etc. Everything that Spider-Man should be, but his Peter Parker was just meh. This version, on the other hand, from what I've seen from Civil War and from what these early reviews are saying, Tom Holland is brilliant as both Parker and Spider-Man. So that's what I meant about Spider-Man finally done right.

Andrew Garfield should've never been cast as Peter Parker. Too likable.

Describing Marisa Tomei as anything less than wonderful is factually incorrect. Same goes for Michael Keaton 98% of the time. Man is a national treasure.

#iareold

You know, I saw a trailer for it tonight and I've actually started to come around on it. I think a lot will depend on Tom Holland's performance, but I think he looks like he'll be a good Spider-Man. Worth a shot.

Is it just going to be a formulaic marvel movie where the whole city just gets destroyed and millions killed but nobody gives a shit

Well, reviews were dropping like flies all day yesterday and as expected, its getting great reviews. As of me typing it has a 92% on Rotten Tomatoes. That'll probably go down as more and more reviews come in. I'd say it'll rest nicely at 90% when it's all said and done.

Yet again, Marvel hits a home run with another superhero movie. Not only that, but it looks like they've found the definitive Spider-Man for years to come.

Saw an advanced screening. Definitely a ton of fun. I'm really getting sick of the marvel formula but the charm was there. As long as marvel can keep the charm coming then they can stick to the formula. It's not better than Raimi's spiderman 2 by any stretch at all. It falls within the usual failures of MCU movies.

Keaton was class but he wasn't the best ever. As far as I'm concerned, that still belongs to Bruhl for the MCU.

Incredibly excited for the future after its post credit scene.

Went to a preview last night and thought it was really generic. It's Marvel now. Same formula, same old clichés, etc, etc. It's funny and has some good action scenes, but it tries to hard and it is not the best Spider-Man movie. It's not even the best Spider-Man 1 movie.

Spider-Man: Homecoming was excellent. I mean, it was really really good. As far as stand alone movies go in the MCU, it stands up there with Iron Man as one of the better ones. It's not a stretch at all to say that Tom Holland has given the best portrayal of Peter Parker/Spider-Man. The others were either good at one or the other. Holland is great as both. He's a real nerd/unpopular kid as Parker and he's the wise cracking, sarcastic, joking Spider-Man that we loved in the comics. He really was good.

I can't say enough about Michael Keaton in this movie. He's definitely one of the better villains in the MCU. I know that's not saying much, but he did a very very good job. I mean there were some scenes that he was in where he was definitely scary and frightening. Also, that 'surprise' that they had in the film was amazing and I didn't see it coming at all. I don't think anyone seen it coming and it made for one of the best scenes of any movie. Those that have seen the movie know what I'm talking about.

It can't be said enough that this was a pure, honest to goodness high school movie. I mean it was a coming of age tale and it had great high school scenes and humor. Everything you'd expect a high school film to have. Also, Iron Man doesn't take away from this movie at all. The trailers made it seem like this was Iron Man's movie but honestly he's only in it for a few scenes and the scenes that he was in, especially the one where he takes the suit back, were acted to perfection. What more do you expect from RDJ though?

All in all, yet another great entry into the MCU. As far as the stand alone films go, this is one of the best MCU films. When you add in the others, though, like Avengers and Civil War, it's not quite at that level. I'd give it a solid A-.

P.S. That last end credit scene was just amazing. I think it was even better than the swarma scene from the Avengers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back