So Long, Ol' Baldcore?

Frank the Frowner

Getting Noticed By Management
Big Update on Bob Holly's WWE Status: Possible Release?
08/07/2008 by Nick Paglino

The Wrestling Observer is reporting that Bob "Hardcore" Holly may be on his way out of WWE. Holly, who is now 45 years old, is not being used on WWE TV right now and it's being reported that creative has no plans to use him in the near future. It is believed that Holly would need someone like The Undertaker to vouch for his return to the ring, and if something like that does not happen, he may not have a chance at returning. Holly is known for working very stiff in the ring and carries an old-school philosophy of making rookies earn their "stripes" by working them over very hard during bouts. Vince McMahon has always had a good relationship with Bob Holly, which is why he always seems to bounce back following absences, but this time around some backstage are not so sure that will happen again.

Well, this was a move that was about ten years too late. It's a miracle that he's been employed since 1993 by the WWE, where he hasn't showed any kind of improvement whatsoever in his 15 years as a WWE worker. The only time I found him somewhat entertaining was when he was teaming with Crash, and Crash made that work more than he ever did.

They say that the most successful characters in wrestling are those that are really just real life extensions of who they really are. Considering Holly's played the same role for the last 10 years of a complete dick, I guess that's about how he really is outside of the ring as well. As much as I hate to say it, he was successful, as he's lasted in the WWE for so long. But there have been countless rumors of him being a dick behind the scenes, and taking liberties with younger guys, because they have to "pay their dues". I still think that what he did to Matt Cappotelli during Tough Enough was one of the most unprofessional and disgusting things I've ever seen.

Now he's finding himself with a lot of heat and may no longer have any outs in order to keep his job. I really hope that he's cut loose... someone younger and more entertaining than he'll ever be can step up and take the role he's had on Raw. I love the irony that his last match in the WWE may have been a loss, for a title nonetheless, to a guy in his first match ever in the WWE.

This is something that's needed to happen for a good while. Holly was ok in the ring, but he was little more than a jobber ever. He hasn't been worth much since the Hardcore Belt was dropped. He's 45, his career highlight was last year winning the tag belts and holding them for 6 months, despite probably less than 10 total defenses. Hardcore was ok at best, and pretty reliable to not suck in the ring, but other than that, he was just taking up a salary and roster spot. A lot of his time out of the ring wasn't his fault with all of his injuries, and his longevity with the company is nothing short of impressive for being a midcarder. Still, not a lot of people will miss him. Not shocking in the slightest.

He would be decent for ECW, if anything. I think the reason he works stiff with the young guys is becuase he is an asshole who never accomplished shit, so he feels the need to take it out on guys who might be half worht shit someday. So fuck it, release him and let him work indy. Im all for stiff work, but not if its not pre planned and unecessary. Dont let this guy his hands on any more newcomers and take out his frustrations.

Bob Holly...just an average guy trying to make an impact. Or something. I don't know why Bob is so universally hated, but he's one of my all time favourites. He delivers every time. As a performer, I just liked the guy. I'm probably one of the only ones - I don't care.

I do not know Bob and cannot vouch for him as a stand-up guy outside the ring. That really shouldn't matter. I know that Bob is a guy who can wrestle a good match, and his WWE Championship match is really the only thing I can remember from when JBL was champ. And the sad thing is, JBL was one of the best things to ever happen to the WWE Championship.

I really do not have the words for this. I'll leave it to you other guys to flame the shit out of Bob. That said, Bob Holly is ten times the performer John Cena ever was or will ever be. Peace.

Can't say I'm honestly shocked. He has never really amounted to Jack Shit. The only time he was ever relevant was when he actually main evented the Royal Rumble with Brock Lesnar. On one hand, I like the legitimacy he brings because of his history bullying the newcomers. On the other hand though it kind of got out of hand, and at time was un warranted. I can't say I would miss old Hardcore Holly. Hell I even forgot he was still in the WWE after he lost the tag titles.

What's all of this talk about Hardcore Sparky Plugg Holly being average in the ring, you're all way to kind, the guy sucked a donkey dick in the ring. Norcal hit the nail on the head, he worked stiff in the ring because he's a bitter jealous old douchebag that never accomplished anything noteworthy in his career, so he took his anger out on younger guys half his age with twice the talent.

Oh wait, Holly did do amazing things, like, getting his arm shattered by blowing a moonsault from Kurt Angle, or breaking his neck and blaming it on Brock Lesnar when Holly clearly fucked up, or being the unknown guy in a tag team featuring Molly Holly and Crash Holly.

Hardcore is exactly what his name is, he sucks hardcore.

Unfortunately, Bob Holly has only made minors marks in my memory for four things.

1. Going from punked to pumped during the attitude era. Yes, Bob Holly took time out of his busy schedule after his anti-successful run as Bombastic Bomb, one half of the NEW Midnight Express with Bodacious Bart Gunn. It was a miracle. Bob Holly, a scrawny wimpy reject from Nascar whose frame rivaled closely that of his former partner, The 1-2-3 Kid, looked like the pictures that you used to find on the back of comic books where the nerd had sand kicked in his face only to use that as inspiration to become Tony Atlas. At first, he worse a shirt as part of the Job Squad, but after that you could not stop this rippling stud from showing off what modern science had given him and strutting his stuff.

2. Angle Makes his Big Break. Hardcore Holly was known for working stiff with green wrestlers, in order to help them "learn the rope" and "earn their stripes". Unfortunately he ran into a man who's insanity has caused him to have an affliction to where he loves that kind of stuff. On a fateful evening, during a match with Your Olympic Hero Kurt Angle, Holly decided to play rough rider and test Angle's mettle. The mad entity known as Angle truly loved it and indulged his veteran opponent and wiped the floor with him from one end of the ring to the other in one of Big Bob's best matches to date. And then an overanxious Angle topped off the stiff-fest by delivering one of the most impactful moonsaults ever to Hardcore Holly, breaking his arm. Accident? You be the judge.

3. The Matt Cappotelli Incident. Hardcore lived up to his name by taking a young man who was smaller than he was and wiping the floor with him. Well actually the ring. It was supposed to be a training exercise, but it definitely turned into something more. Hardcore Holly showed that he was the top dog and that no young rookie was going to get a chance to show anything against him. Even if they guy was on a reality tv show where the only way to advance was to show what you know. Nope Hardcore was nonetheless king of the scrub beaters. Well people took it upon himself to perceive to be scrubs. That was until....

4. Lesnar ascends from Scrubdome. Now while Hardcore Holly is a dick, alot of people think that he only has something against all rookies. And that's just not true. Because this had to be the last documented time that hardcore Holly decided to work stiff with someone who could forsuredly kick his ass. After working stiff with green monster rookie Brock Lesnar, who was known for working stiff himself, Hardcore decided that he would up the anty and just try to wear out Lesnar. And he had a good plan, but unfortunately, Lesnar, much like The Incredible Hulk, only loses control even more when he's angry. After picking Holly up for his signature double piledriver, Lesnar "accidently" dropped Holly on his neck, putting him out for several months. A classic story of yet another bully learning his limits.

Holly should be on his way out soon. This guy has achieved next to nothing in his career and not only has struggled to get over with the fans he has consistently proven that he is a bully. Holly is like a Val Venis or Funaki jobbers for life but unlike them Holly feels like he is "better" than the rookies and can teach them a lesson even though his whole career has been less than mediocore. The only thing I can hope is before Holly is released is that he gets destroyed by Rhodes & Dibiase which would be awesome to see two "rookies" take down this waste of space, punk.

it's being reported that creative has no plans to use him in the near future.
What bugs me is this part right here. After what happened with Dibiase how could they not have something for him? Have him find a partner and feud over the Tag Titles. How hard is that, and I'm not even getting paid.

Now that that's out of the way I'm not surprised that Holly might be getting the boot. He hasn't been relevant for 10 years and he wasn't any good when he was. He's nothing but a jobber who works way to stiff. Anyone remember tough enough? I'm not going to miss him when they do finally boot him out.

I actually think it's good that he's not getting pushed back at the tag belts. Rhodes and Dibiase have that it factor that so few teams have. They're already in the main event and are doing fairly well there to me. Having them go back to feud with Holly and some other C level wrestler would be a major setback for them. Maybe having Holly do a run in and then get squashed on Raw one night would be one thing, but a major feud would just be a waste for Priceless and their talents.

I actually think it's good that he's not getting pushed back at the tag belts. Rhodes and Dibiase have that it factor that so few teams have. They're already in the main event and are doing fairly well there to me. Having them go back to feud with Holly and some other C level wrestler would be a major setback for them. Maybe having Holly do a run in and then get squashed on Raw one night would be one thing, but a major feud would just be a waste for Priceless and their talents.
I never said it had to be a long feud KB. I'm just surprised that WWE creative couldn't think of that on their own. Holly shouldn't have any titles plus having Priceless beat him and whoever his partner would be would boost their credibility because even tough he sucks holy is a veteran of the business.

The only thing that I see in it is that while it would be a capping to their feud, I like where tehy went with it already. Holly has been defeated and now they don't even have the tag belts anymore. Holly did what his job was supposed to do in making Rhodes a bit more credible and allowing the switch to happen. Yes he is a veteran but he has zero credibility. It's teh same reason I cringed at the thought of Duggan and Lawler against Priceless. It's following the path that every recent heel champions have taken. This is something fresh and I'm glad WWE is running with it.

I lol'd at the headline. Very well put.

Anyway, I can't stand Holly. I honestly think the only real contribution he contributed to the business was making Lesnar look strong. That's the only time I found him to be worth watching: when he was getting his ass kicked by Brock Lesnar.

I think his recent tag run with Cody Rhodes shows how pathetic he is. I think everyone was thinking to themselves how horrible that team was when they were together, but now that Rhodes is with DiBiase, we're all thinking, "Wow, that douchebag Cody Rhodes is a lot better then I originally thought." Who else can you blame for that other then his partner, Holly, a guy he had ZERO chemistry with and looked as if he didn't give a fuck whether he was out there or not?

I hate wishing ill will on anybody by saying I hope so and so loses his or her job, but to be honest, if I were never to see Hardcore Holly in a WWE ring ever again, it would make me quite pleased. The guy just sucks and is worthless in my eyes.

As I haven't heard anything about his deffinate release, I am guessing this is a romour, and we all know how romours go, especially in this business. But on the other hand, a WWE world without Bob Holly is not changed at all. He has never left a major mark. His 6 Hardcore Championship wins is very little in comparison to some with 17, who do not have "hardcore" in their names. People will always remember Crash more than Hardcore.

The incidences noted above would have made me send him packing. He just seems like an angry man looking for his piece of the pie before its all over.He has wrestled through many different eras in the WWE, yet none of these eras worked out for him. His best times were during the Attitude era, but I am thinknig he probably lost more than he won during this time. The best thing for him is becoming a jobber to the upper mid card. Please don't try to push him anymore WWE.

I never said it had to be a long feud KB. I'm just surprised that WWE creative couldn't think of that on their own. Holly shouldn't have any titles plus having Priceless beat him and whoever his partner would be would boost their credibility because even tough he sucks holy is a veteran of the business.

Like KB said Cory, what credibility does Holly have? He'd just delay Priceless' ascension to the top, by doing basically nothing for them if they feud over the belts. Anyway, WWE probably thinks that Hardcore has no charisma, so the entire feud would have to be carried by Priceless.

Anyway, this wouldn't be a surprise to me, and I can't say I'd miss the dude much, he's done basically nothing in his too long tenure in the WWE and if it was some other guy, he'd probably be released by now, those friends in high places probably busted his ass out a couple times in the past.
T

Well it's about time. Hardcore Holly was, is, and always will be complete shit in the ring. His matches are boring as fuck, and I'm surprised that he held a title in his career other than the Hardcore title. Holly should have been released ages ago. He accomplished jack shit in his career, and should just tie the boots up. If he stays, there's nothing left for him, apart from jobbing on Heat. The Cody Rhodes angle was the best thing to happen to him in years. And still he didn’t get that much air time during the reign.

He should just leave, and end his pathetic attempt at a career.

I am also somewhat of a Holly fan, as he brings toughness and comes across very legit. its nice to see something that doesnt come across as someone being told to act a certain way. also, i find it funny how all of these people in these rooms bash him and say he sucks, guess what, WWE doesnt employ people for 15 years with no talent, so you dont like him, GET OVER IT!!! In wrestling today, peope are brought up too soon, given pushes that they are not ready for, and they burn out fast. Superstars today probably take for granted some chances that they get, and Holly teaches them to respect their place in wrestling.

Is there anything wrong with JBL enforcing his power backstage like hes better than everyone else? Guess what, he is horribly boring in the ring to watch!!!! Its ok for him to bully because its not physical like Holly? Please, give me a break.

Sure Holly hasnt accomplished much in the WWE, except one of the longest employments in their history. If he was used right, he could be a major asset. However, for a creative team, WWE creative has no ideas for A LOT of superstars. anyway, Holly doesn't NEED to go, and if the Highlanders are still here, Khali, Duggan(who adds nothing to shows) are still here, Holly should be safe.

Well, let all the wrestling owners and creative teams leaders criticize what i wrote.

I am also somewhat of a Holly fan, as he brings toughness and comes across very legit. its nice to see something that doesnt come across as someone being told to act a certain way. also, i find it funny how all of these people in these rooms bash him and say he sucks, guess what, WWE doesnt employ people for 15 years with no talent, so you dont like him, GET OVER IT!!! In wrestling today, peope are brought up too soon, given pushes that they are not ready for, and they burn out fast. Superstars today probably take for granted some chances that they get, and Holly teaches them to respect their place in wrestling.

Is there anything wrong with JBL enforcing his power backstage like hes better than everyone else? Guess what, he is horribly boring in the ring to watch!!!! Its ok for him to bully because its not physical like Holly? Please, give me a break.

Sure Holly hasnt accomplished much in the WWE, except one of the longest employments in their history. If he was used right, he could be a major asset. However, for a creative team, WWE creative has no ideas for A LOT of superstars. anyway, Holly doesn't NEED to go, and if the Highlanders are still here, Khali, Duggan(who adds nothing to shows) are still here, Holly should be safe.

Well, let all the wrestling owners and creative teams leaders criticize what i wrote.

The reason why he was there for 15 years was because he's good with vince. Look at tripple h, You get in good with the boss, you'll stay. But saying that duggan adds nothing to the shows is bullshit. I love to see hacksaw come to the ring. Granted he's nothing of glory long gone and past, But still he's a draw for people who liked him in the 80's and people who grew up whatching him. The highlanders aren't a bad team, And with the Wwe's recent lacking of tag teams I'd say unless they fuck up, keep them. And as for kali, Why not keep him. He draws alot of heel heat, thats allways good. And he's the biggest seller in India. Remember that little country he's from. It has a billion people. They must have money, And its a billion people. IF they all spent a doller on kali merch, Well hell whats that? A billion dollers for wwe.

But back to Ol Boch holly. He shoulda got fired after he done what he did to matt, That was just way to dissrespectfull. Sure you need to teach the people what to do. But it was just uncalled for. But other than that, I see holly either going to ecw, or going to unemployment. Enough said.

I've been a Hardcore Holly fan since he returned in late-2003, to get his revenge on Brock Lesnar. I would hate to see Hardcore Holly to leave the WWE like this. I was hoping that he would get his revenge on Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase, with a new tag partner, hopefully Charlie Haas if he would become face again, just like 3 years ago. If the WWE decide to let him go, I won't like it, but I can understand why since he's not acting good with the rookies.

Well, I can't say i'm unhappy about this.

Being bitter, jealous and and knowing he will never get anywhere near as good as the talent's he has to put over, Is the reason Holly like to make the new talent "earn their stripe's", As it has been said, He came undone against, both Kurt Angle, and Brock Lesnar, And in both case's he was injured, Now if that was me i'd be thinking "just put people over and keep my head down, And stay injury free." because at his age one more major injury and his career will more than likely end.

Don't get me wrong though, He my be a dick, but he's solid in the ring, At time's he may be boring but he doesn't fuck up to often, But then again he has never been in a fued that you can remember a match from, I bet you could remember quite a few feud's but not a match where you think "yeah, that feud was good, and ended with great match."

So overall, I think Holly is decent in the ring but a complete dick, without any great feud or moment to remember him by.

I will actually be sad if Holly gets released, hes old school, hes about rookies paying there dues and thats understandable. Hes a tough SOB and im surprised they never evolved his character into a even bigger sob. His return fued against lesnar felt very legit and he even choked out the big show and beat him. I think the wwe dropped the ball with him coming back for revenge after his neck was broken. I can still see him teaming up with haas or venis in a tag team. I really enjoyed his chemisty with venis and they put on some really good matches on velocity. He should stick around and put over rookies because thats what his character is a bully. Everytime i see holly take on a rookie i pay extra attention, and i know some of you do aswell

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back