Should Title Matches Be Promoted Like Boxing Matches?

OIL

Championship Contender
Now im talking about PPV matches here, and prehaps the odd title match on RAW, SmackDown! or ECW.

I think more money could be made from promoting title matches like boxing fights. I remember when they were discussing John Cena vs Triple H at WM24, and thinking of promoting it like a boxing fight. (Cena - HHH II or something), and I think that type of advertising/promoting may bring in bigger numbers for PPVs.

Basically, the idea is, whatever the type of match (title match obvs), no matter how many people are in the match, I think it should be promoted like a boxing match. The match could get a specific name under certain circumstances (Hatton vs Mayweather was Undefeated).

IMO, it would bring in a lot of extra viewers as ordinary people would see the promoting and might think "Hey, this looks like a big match, maybe I should buy the PPV to see what all the fuss is about".

I know many people who were not boxing fans, decide to order the Hatton - Mayweather fight because of the promotion.

Obviously, this would mean that there would be less title matches because of the fact that there is a PPV every month. Prehaps each show could be headlined by a different shows title. (Except the big PPVs like WrestleMania, SummerSlam, Royal Rumble and Survivor Series).

For example, lets take Triple H vs Mr Kennedy at SummerSlam 2009. Triple H is still champion, and Mr Kennedy just lost the IC title, so Kennedy wins a No.1 contender match for the WWE Title. Build the match around the fact that HHH is a dominant champion, coming up against a wrestler who just lost a major match. Promote it like that. Bring back the PPV news confrences, built around the main event. The PPV poster should be about the main match, with both of them on the poster ect.

What do you guys think? Good idea, or not? Does it need any tweaking?

Yes. But it should be reserved for special matches only. Do it all the time and it becomes the norm.

Yes. But it should be reserved for special matches only. Do it all the time and it becomes the norm.

Fair point. But from a business standpoint, it would create more money because it creates a bigger buzz. I guess you're right in the fact that it should be saved for special matches. But by special matches I mean big ones.

If they built it right, Cena vs Lashley. That could have been a huge match, if Lashley was given time. They rushed that one so much it was awful.

Lashley vs. Cean was a great match. But they built it for a few weeks, and only promoted it properly on the actual show.

Lashley vs. Cean was a great match. But they built it for a few weeks, and only promoted it properly on the actual show.

It was a great match, but the build up seemed so rushed.

It was like, one minute they had just announced the match, and the next the whole thing was over without anything in the middle.

What was the highlight of their promotion, having them two in the middle of the ring with 2 stands, and they would get turns in talking? BRILLIANT. I know that made me want to order the PPV. (Thank fuck we got that one for free, because there was no way I would have paid £15 for it).

If they took about a month to promote the actual match, yes on RAW, but using other ways would have been better. Why not hold a press confrence is the town where the PPV is taking place, to promote the match?

Have something major happen then, because local news people will be down there covering the event, and then whatever happens there, goes in the newspaper.

Then, increased media attention for the next RAW, higher ratings.

Done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back