Will boxing ever get out of its own way?

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
After last night's laughable finish in which Dawson caused a Hopkins shoulder separation with a wrestling move (Dawson used a modified Attitude Adjustment on Hopkins...remember that Cena bashers), Dawson is now the Light Heavyweight Champion. At least one of them.

How much sillier can boxing get? A throwdown results in a title change. Mayweather wins a fight when his opponent tries to give him a hug and kiss. Mayweather and Pacquiao, generally agreed to be the biggest money fight in all of sports, will likely never happen. And, of course, we all remember Tyson biting the ear of the 36 year old man he couldn't beat.

The line "another black eye for boxing" has ceased to have any meaning, indeed, you probably have even odds for printing it as your headline to a major boxing match and being right. The organization of the sport is a joke. It keeps tripping over itself, despite the fact there are still a lot of people who are interested in it. But how much longer are fans going to pay $55 to watch a guy lose a title on a tackle?

If Dana White had any interest in starting a boxing promotion, he'd have the American boxing landscape conquered in 10 years. That's what boxing needs, it needs a strong leader, someone to be the face of the company, to take the boxing world by the balls.

Will boxing ever get out of its own way?

Not under the current structure. I've said this kind of stuff before but here are three big ways to get things back to sane in boxing.

1. Some free shows.

This is a huge one. Big time boxing matches are always on HBO, Showtime or PPV. Let's look at the two successful combat based sports organizations: UFC and WWE. Both have PPVs where you hvae a supercard that you have to pay to see. However, there are also big shows and matches on free TV. UFC airs a few PPV level cards for free on Spike and when they move to FOX, they're airing the world heavyweight championship for free. I'm a casual follower of MMA but I'll be glued to my screen during that fight.

I've never seen a boxing world title match because I'm not going to pay for something I've only heard about and have only seen highlights of. Give us something to get us interested and we'll be into it more.

2. Eliminate some titles/weight classes.

According to Wikipedia, there are 17 weight classes in professional boxing. Under the unified rules of MMA (most common version of the rules) there are 9 classes, or about half that of boxing. When you look at WWE, one of the biggest complaints is there are too many titles. If you have that many titles, first of all you're going to have issues keeping straight who each champion is and which title they hold.

Second, if everyone has a title, they lose their importance. Some of these weight limits are as little as 3 pounds apart. Are you telling me some of those can't be merged? For instance:

The minimum weight is 105lbs. The next level is light flyweight with a limit of 108. Then it's flyweight at 112 and super flyweight at 115. In the span of a ten pound range, you have four champions. That could easily be grouped together into one title.

To sum this up, answer this: who is the world heavyweight champion? According to Wiki, from what I can find there are currently three of them holding a combined 5 belts. I'd love an explanation for how people think that's a good idea. Get it down to one. It can't be that hard and if the Klitschko brothers won't fight each other, strip one of the title and get an undisputed champion.

I agree with Sly: boxing could be saved if they'd use common sense.

I feel like boxing will never really dig itself out of this hole. The fights aren't very entertaining (especially when compared to MMA), a tackle (which is against the rules) results in a title change, the cards don't have much depth, etc. The list of problems with boxing goes on and on.

The people setting up and promoting boxing events seem to still have the mind set about that "boxing is king." It's a bit hard to wrap your head around, really. Boxing has clearly fallen off, becoming something of a laughingstock, bring drubbed by MMA, but everything but boxing needs to evolve. Give me a break. Look, I always love a good fight and I want to see the best fights available, but I can't get that with boxing. Like you said, two of the best fighters in the world, Mayweather and Pacquiao, will probably never fight. It's not a matter of if they can fight, but of money, drug testing, etc. You never see that in MMA (specifically UFC). The fighters don't have that much of a say and Dana White doesn't allow it. Sure, a guy like Overeem had a bit of that power in Strikeforce, but I doubt it'll happen in the UFC.

Boxing will never get out of this hole, due to itself and the competition.

Boxing sure isn't the sport it was 20 years ago, but the times have most certainly changed and boxing has done nothing but lose respect and fans as of late. It's a combination of poor management and competition, there's definitely enough talent in boxing still but without proper guidance it has become a big confusing mess. That and the fact that it's number one opponent is MMA, which is the fastest growning sport in the world and shows no signs of slowing down is probably going to be a major contribution to the death of boxing that I see on the horizon. Personally I used to be a big boxing fan, my dad was a boxing in his 20's so I grew up learning who to watch and how to throw a good jab. But today MMA offers all the entertainment of boxing plus all the other aspects of fighting with much more exciting events under excellent leadership.

Sly and KB definitely have the right ideas on what would work to get boxing up and running to it's former glory, but I think those things needed to happen a few years ago and now it might be a little too late. Crock is correct in that they have dug a very deep hole and I don't see them getting out, they would improve themselves and maybe score some more viewers if they got some a good man in command over there and I like KB's idea of free shows now. Here's how I see it though, boxing and MMA are in a race, MMA starts slow but then picks it up and runs faster than ever, boxing takes a few stumbles and loses momentum, loses the race. Boxing is going to continue to be compared to MMA and with their success sinking and MMA growing bigger every day I don't see the sport ever making a real legitimate return, I honestly see a few promotions sticking around because some people still want to see boxing and it's a great sport but it's time as one of the big boys in American sports has passed.

Another thing I forgot: promotion.

Sly talked about the light heavyweight title fight last night. I heard about it also.....2 hours before it started. I had no idea the fight was even happening let alone who was in it. You never hear about boxers anymore and you have no idea who they are because of that. Look at MMA: St. Pierre, Lesnar, Silva and other big names are built up as huge stars. You hear them talking and you see them on TV and you hear people talk about how great they are. When do you EVER hear about that in boxing anymore?

You have Pacquiao who has no competition and Mayweather who has no competition and that's about it. Look at MMA: Anderson Silva and GSP are guys you could say have no competition and yet the fights they have are built up as huge events. Think back to guys like Mike Tyson or Muhammad Ali. They were built up to be killing machines that no one could stop. Today's boxers are just there once every 4 months or so and then go back to whatever cave they live in the rest of the year. You don't hear about boxing other than Mayweather vs. Pacquiao not happening for the 5th time. Promote these guys individually, not as just boxers.

Boxing last night should have had one of the most beautiful nights in its illustrious history. Instead, it turned out to be one of the worst.

Before we get to Hopkins/Dawson, the undercard to that fight was spectacular, which is why I said that sentence above. First of all, you had a fight of the year candidate in Antonio DeMarco vs. Jorge Linares, and then of course you had the absolutely inspiring story of Dewey Bozella making his pro boxing debut, after serving over 25 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit. It was turning out to be a great night...

And then... the Dawson/Hopkins fight happened. Let me first say that I don't blame either fighter. Yeah, what Dawson did was illegal, but it's not that uncommon for someone with Hopkins punch and close in style to end up getting thrown to the ground. Hell, Wladimir Klitschko throws his opponents to the ground all the time because of the way fighters have to fight him. And it's not Hopkins fault that his shoulder was separated (which it really was for anyone who wants to call the man a liar). It was just an unfortunate situation for both fighters.

That said, this fight should not have been on pay-per-view in the first place. Every boxing fan I know expressed that they wanted to watch this fight, but not spend $50 on it. So, right from the get-go this fight was mishandled.

However, the biggest travesty last night was the referee, who could not have been more incompetent. His decision made no sense whatsoever, and it's the 2nd big fight in a row where a referee had zero clue what he was doing in that ring.

Now, boxing can still fix this situation... Hopkins has 5 days to appeal the decision, which he will undoubtedly do, and the commission can overturn it. Whether they do that or not is still to be seen (it's rare for referees decisions to be overturned), but hopefully they do the right thing and make the bout a No Contest.

Regardless if they do or don't though, people will still have a horrible taste in their mouths for the sport after last night, which is a shame because truly, the talent in boxing is as good as ever. It's just the managing and promoting of the sport, the judging, and the refereeing are all so horrible that the sport continues to remain in terrible shape. Will these promoters, judges, and refs ever get their act together? I have no idea, but I surely hope so because it's a travesty to see talented, hard working, and dedicated fighters continued to get screwed over because of them.

Boxing is a dying breed and I don't see it doing anything in the future to save itself.
Who wants to see 13 rounds of two guys throwing punches when you can see 3 or 5 rounds of two people not only boxing, but using martial arts and even wrestling and submissions to potentially win the fight. MMA is the evolution of boxing and it will be the survivor when boxing finally falls on its final legs.

The appeal that boxing had during its heyday is no longer there.

Boxing is a dying breed and I don't see it doing anything in the future to save itself.
Who wants to see 13 rounds of two guys throwing punches when you can see 3 or 5 rounds of two people not only boxing, but using martial arts and even wrestling and submissions to potentially win the fight. MMA is the evolution of boxing and it will be the survivor when boxing finally falls on its final legs.

The appeal that boxing had during its heyday is no longer there.

I think if it was run correctly, organized, and wasn't full of guys who have no class, boxing could be very successful. While MMA certainly has its appeal, boxing has a very rich history, and there's a skill and beauty in a good boxing match you just can't get in MMA. I don't know which would be more popular, but I think the two could co-exist and each be equally successful.

But if something controversial happens like that in the UFC, Dana White and the UFC will try their damnedest to fix it. Furthermore, very rarely will a MMA figther be happy with the decision, which apparently Dawson is. Most MMA fighters would be more than happy to have a rematch, which neither Hopkins or Dawson reportedly want.

There are just so many problems in boxing, and until someone comes along and does for boxing what the UFC has done for MMA in America, boxing in America will never be anything more than a sideshow.

I'ts pretty rare to see a boxing forum that actually discusses 'boxing' without name callings (pactards, flomos) not to mention the trolls and spammers. And this is not even a boxing forum :blush:

Anyway, Boxing is on a slump this year with controversial fights from Mares-Agbeko to Mayweather-Ortiz and now Hopkins-Dawson. From a fans perspective, this is really a disappointment. The Hopkins-Dawson fight should have been ruled out as a no-contest and not a TKO. How the hell would you get a TKO without even punching him? Seriously. Regardless if Hopkins is faking it or not(well, his injury is legit as reported by the doctors), the decision should have been no-contest. All the blame goes to the referee.

Boxing still has a chance to regain it's composure a bit. Donaire, probably the most scientific of all boxers today will fight at October 22. While the pound-for-pound king Pacquiao will fight against his arch nemesis Marquez to finally close their trilogy. Either fights are exciting and surely won't disappoint.

But the big-fights should be made at 2012. This is what I believe it should be:

Sergio Martinez should either go down to face Pacquiao or Mayweather or he goes up to face Bute, Ward or Froch. Or a fight with Chavez jr. would definitely get a lot of attention.

Yuriorkis Gamboa should fight Chris John, the other world champion in featherweight. If Lopez beats Salido in their rematch, the Gamboa-Lopez fight can still be made although the all the hype on this match is probably lost.

Nonito Donaire should already be ready to move to featherweight at the end of 2012 that's if he beats Nishioka. A Donaire-Gamboa showdown will certainly be one of the classics on the last 10 years. A Donaire-Lopez should also be great.

Floyd Mayweather should at least fight Amir Khan or Tim Bradley.

Manny Pacquiao should fight Mike Jones(if he is ready) or Tim Bradley.

And of course Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather megafight should happen.

I'm probably in the minority, but i still think boxing is an entertaining sport to watch. However, i agree with others when it comes to weight classes. Far too many. They should follow the UFC standard, maybe with one lighter class. No more 'super'. Super Middleweight? Fight in Middleweight or Light Heavyweight. Also, only have two governing bodies on the main stage. I was at a boxing show and the main event was IBF Middleweight champion Daniel Geale (Tassie represent!) vs Osamamu Adama and Adama came out with two belts that werent being defended, and i didnt even know the name of. Ridiculous. Have two, that way you can still have fun unification fights.

Hopefully im not late to this party although the hopkins v dawson fight happened along time ago as i type this!! Can boxing get out of its own way?

I hope so but i dont think so!! Boxing is no longer mainstream IMO there are too many champions in each division and with the corrpution of bob aram and other promoters there is no way.

Who the hell are the recongnizable champions anymore? Money may refuses to fight Manny because Floyd is so scared shitless about that zero turning into a 1!! That is just one example. Some of you will not remember this but in the 80 you had guys like hagler,hearns,Sugar Ray and some guy named Tyson!! Fighters back then fought one another no contracts no ducking each other they fought and IMO the way to get boxing back is to have an American Heavyweight Champion.

The way to make boxing revelant again is go the way the UFC goes!! have some kind of show yes i know they had the contender but face it that show was cheesy as fuck.

make the boxers tough no phone calls to wifey or GF no family visits no tv paper take some 14-16 fighters have some legendary boxers be their trainers for like 14 weeks and make boxing revelant again! I absoutely hated the way the contender was awesome idea poorly shot IMO!! You gotta have a fighter out there that the people can identify with. SO IMO boxing cannot get out of its own way too many crooked promoters out there and fighters dont wanna fight each other out there!!

Boxing can be fixed simply by the setting up of an official worldwide board. There is no-one looking after the health of the sport right now & you can't have all these associations looking out for themselves. There's no authority, too many paper champions, too many belts, too many weight divisions and no-one who can bring it all together.
Hell if I wanted to set up my own boxing association I could actually do it. All you need is enough money to entice 2 fighters to want your belt and suddenly you've another damn boxing association further watering down the talent pool.
My hope is that as boxing becomes increasingly damaged by the division, the IBF and WBO (the joke associations) simply get run out of business, leaving the WBA and WBC to come together and actually establish a world governing body of boxing. Nevada should have no authority over the sport and now is the perfect time to take it away from them with so few US champions.

Boxing has quite a few problems that it needs to fix in order to become relevant again.

For one they need to get their stars some exposure. Namely by doing free TV shows where you can actually see the big name guys fight from time to time. Boxing's overreliance on pay per view has caused a lot of fans to simply ignore it in favor of Pro Wrestling and UFC which they can watch for free. This is why it pisses me off when people whine about pro wrestling feds giving away big matches on free TV. Also get these guys appearances on celbrity game shows or on awards shows liek Nickelodeon's kids choice awards. Most people can't name one boxing champion. Why? Because they never see them anywhere.

Secondly: Too many guys with dubious belts. It's almost like everybody who steps into the ring is the champ of somewhere.

Third: Boxing didn't do itself too many favors by taking a do-nothing approach with Mike Tyson's ear biting and Andrew Golota's groin punches.

Fourth: no more letting guys like Floyd Mayweather keep ducking Manny Pacquaio or anybody else who threatens his record. If you're so scared of losing, retire already.

Fifth: Have fighters who actually fight. None of this bullshit of having them clinching and hugging eachother all match. Nobody wants to watch that boring shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back