Should Rey Mysterio Retire?

PSachkovsky

U mad bro?!
Everyone knows that Rey-Rey suffered way too much injuries in his career, and his been gone for a pretty long time. He is getting older, and getting slower. The reason I ask this, is because I used to like Rey, back in his WCW/ECW days. He used to be innovative, and used to be cool, with or without the mask. The problem is that he 'juiced' himself up when he joined the WWE (And there is no other explanation to the way his body changed from 2004 to 2007.), all just for the sake of becoming a WWE champion.

I think that all 'juicing' kind of screwed him over. He can't move quickley. His body seems to be unable to carry all that muscle weight. He completely lost his coolness, in my opinion. And since he became like a 2nd John Cena, it made him stale and boring.

So, I think he should retire, for the sake of his career and legacy. If he retires now, he will be remembered as a WWE Champion, as the Ultimate Underdog. But I will always remember him for the awesome matches he had in WCW/ECW. His matches back then, were 2nd to none.

What is your opinion?

I wouldnt say the body change was caused by juicing. He had been gaining weight ever since he got to the WWE. Any moron knows that you have to work out once you juice or it essentially becomes fat. Rey was around enough guys who juice to know this. I doubt he juiced, because he wasnt ripped, he was just fat. I do think he should retire due to the fact that theres nothing left for him to do. Theres no one in the WWE for him to have a meaningful last rivalry with. Plus hes injury prone.

I don't want Rey Mysterio to retire right now. There's still so much you can do with him as a wrestler. Remember it was only recently that he got the WWE championship belt and many people seemed to have liked it and enjoyed it.

Even his recent match with Cena and The Miz was good.

Rey Mysterio can become a good WWE champion for at least 2 months and can sell a lot of merchandise especially kids.

There's still so much you can do with Rey Mysterio and few dream matches to go as well.

I want to see these matches/feuds in WWE before Mysterio retires:

John Cena vs Rey Mysterio in a long feud for the WWE title where one of them eventually turns heel.

HHH vs Rey Mysterio

Sheamus vs Rey Mysterio

Daniel Bryan vs Rey Mysterio

Maybe Rey Mysterio can even form a stable with his Mexican colleagues Alberto Del Rio, Sin Cara and Hunico.

Maybe a Rey Mysterio heel turn.

Once done with WWE, I would even like to see him do a couple years in TNA rocking over all the divisions of the promotion.

As allround of a wrestler as Rey, I would like to see him stick around in the wrestling industry (as a wrestler) for at least 5 more years even on and off doesn't matter to me.

Rey should face Sin Cara at WM29 and then just retire or at least go semi retired and be put on a lighter schedule like the undertaker and just come back for 1 or 2 matches a year with him been so injury proned, it's obvious he's not able for a full time shedule in the ring now. And he's not in his prime anymore he's 37 and considered a veteran now.

He should keep wrestling if he wants too. Plenty of wrestlers continue to work past their prime (I'm talking 20+ years in the business, which is considered old by moronic fans) and Mysterio can still work at an acceptable level. Who cares if he's "old" and "tarnishing" his legacy, it's his to begin and end with. Plus the motherfucker is still a draw.

There's absolutely no way Rey Mysterio should retire. Rey is one of the WWE's most consistent performers and can put on a great match with anybody, when he's active. Rey is still one of the best wrestlers in the world, even if time has slowed him down. Sure, he can't fly around like he used to in the '90s, but he does what all the greats do -- Rey Mysterio adapts. Seriously, Rey is one of the most useful guys on the WWE roster, when he's not hurt/out for other reasons. Yes, I understand that maybe some people are put off by the fact that Rey's body can't hold up like it used to, but Rey Mysterio for 6 months out of the year is still better than most anybody else. Rey, at this stage, is a main event talent that WWE needs, and he'll be useful for the foreseeable future, whether it be through putting younger talents over or just putting on excellent matches.

For the WWE, it wouldn't make sense to let Rey retire, either. Rey, love him or hate him, is absolutely over. His masks sell like hotcakes, kids and adults alike eat up all his other merchandise, and he's a valuable envoy to Mexico. I'm sure Rey understands that, too. I don't think Rey will retire until the WWE is in a place where they don't need him -- which they're not in, yet. Even if he just makes small appearances here or there, he'll be needed and used gladly, I'm sure.

Rey has done lots of things in wwe.
however he aint as good as he once was.
well no one is.
taker sucks now in the ring.
regardless wheter someone says that is a good match hhh was good.
however taker was on the ground for 11 minutes throughout the match.
rey shouldnt go on on tour excepect on raw or smackdown.
but he shouldnt retire yet.
cuz alberto & sin cara needs a good rivarl like rey.
rey will retire i just dont think its his time

It's only natural for Rey to slow down. You can't expect him to be the same Rey from ECW and WCW. This is a much older and a much more accomplished Rey Mysterio. I don't think he should retire if he can still wrestle the way he does. He can still go and put on entertaining matches, and the fact that he can still perform hurricanrana's and high flying moves at this point in his career is outstanding. Despite a lot of people being against Rey Mysterio becoming a World Champion, I would like to see him win the WWE Championship just one more time and defend it a couple times. When and if the Cruiserweight program jumpstarts in the near future, I'd like to see Rey work there with guys like Amazing Red and Alex Shelley, if they're indeed going to be a part of it. He still has a lot to offer in the ring and for the WWE. The crowds still love him. I can see certain aspects of him that can be boring, but he's really the only fast-paced high flyer that maintains main event status and that's different than your usual.

At this point in time i wouldn't be upset if he did leave WWE, to me his matches haven't been as entertaining since he had his first championship run. What really ruined it for me they put to much emphasis on his size, I would say he is the ultimate underdog against say the big show, but every match? Come on, they want me to feel way to much sympathy for a guy that has proven he can go with the best in the ring.

It's one big attempt to have a capitalize on what i feel like like is pity, then to capitalize on his talents in the ring. He almost always goes over on somebody in the ring, and when he doesn't it was his size. Get off the pity party if he loses people will still cheer for him.

Now the X-division thats somewhere I'd like to see this guy. A divison like that lets rey shine.

I would give Mysterio one more year before retirement maybe have a feud with sin cara before he leaves. Rey has had surgery on his knee about 7 times if rey suffered another knee injury it could be the end of his career plus rey is almost 38 and a wrestler around that age is more likely prone to injuries. I would like to see his son one day wrestle for the WWE and maybe don the rey mysterio mask

No, No, No. Although I do see your point, I doubt he juiced he's never really ever been ripped so its just age but that's not really important. He shouldn't retire because he's still marketable the kids love him and all this time off will help that the kids will miss him. Also he's a massive name, he can still put people over. Think about it all these new cruiser-weights you can have him put them over, he's still one of the most well know cruiser-weights in the world so I say keep him around, convince him not to retire.

Rey can still draw and walk.
No need to retire.

Even if he got down to a smaller schedule and took it easy, it's better than retiring completely.

If he feels he can't go on or something, sure. but right now he still can ME

I think he should retire. At this point, there is nothing else for him to do and he is often injured.

Maybe he can go out after a high profile feud with Sin Cara.

Sin Cara.

I always wondered how he would be as head of the LWO back in da day. I would love to see him scoop up all the Spanish speaking wrestlers and kinda get them to demand more from WWE. I would also love to see him use such a stable against Cena. Him against Sin Cara would be great too. Him teaming with Sin Cara would look interesting and they could fed for the tag belts.

I thought he sucked as WHC. I wish his title would had been the WWE Championship and i wish he would had won it in a Royal Rumble and then feuded with intermediary sized wrestlers.

I agree with what The Crock said about this. When he is active he still puts on great matches, and he is still super over. He sells a ton of mask, and from what I understand is one of the main reason for the Latino audience. He shouldn't retire yet there are quite a few fresh opponents for him now. A lot of other guys wrestle well past their prime. Of course Rey has slowed down, but he still puts on great matches.

If the rumors are true and WWE brings back the crusierweight division, I definitely want to see Rey stick around.

I've noticed a lot of people saying that they liked Rey a lot back when he was in WCW. Ditto. Rey Mysterio Jr. put on some classic matches, and the main reason for that was the quality of the WCW cruiserweight division. There were at least a dozen cruiserweight guys around at any given time, guys like Dean Malenko and Ultimo Dragon, who were unbelievable in the ring and could keep up with and compliment Mysterio.

WWE does not have this kind of roster. Vince likes big muscles, so there just aren't a lot of cruiserweights, unfortunately, and the ones that are around aren't pushed. Rey is at his best when he's up against another cruiserweight. Seeing Rey deliver a hurricanrana to Tyson Kidd or Sin Cara is much more believable and looks better than seeing him do it to someone like Kane.

So overall, yeah, I'd like to see him back, but I want to see the cruiserweight division built up around him.

The IWC is always bitching and whining about virtually (if not every) WWE wrestler. Here's the thing, you people want Rey to retire and while his body is breaking down and he should honestly hang it up soon, if he does, most of you will cheer beyond belief. But again, the IWC jump on the bandwagons more than sports fans. If Rey were to retire, but let's say suddenly returned a few years later, you all would be cheering and saying welcome back Rey! We missed you! The WWE is awesome again! etc etc. Happens all the time.

I've been watching the WWE since the late 80's and I've seen a lot of wrestlers come and go. You people need to enjoy the great wrestlers we have left because sooner or later they will be gone for good. So instead of bitching that an older wrestler should leave, enjoy the time he has left will you? But I guess I"m different. All the older wrestlers were my childhood and while most are done, the very few remain. Unlike most of you I will be sad when wrestlers like Taker retires or Rey. I've seen them both since day 1.

I love Rey, but I don't see him in any more big storylines from this point on. He's pretty much accomplised everything he's going to already, so mybe he should retire. He solidified his spot as the greatest little man in wrestling and the greatest luchador to ever compete in the United States! He's a sure fire HOF'er, and he's also injury prone. How many more times can he get surgery?

Like I said, I'm a huge Rey fan, but he should call it quits. The same goes for Undertaker...:worship:

Rey Mysterio has already been World Champion, and he'll be known for opening the doors for smaller guys like CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, The Miz, etc. (even though he's smaller than they are) to become big successes. He shouldn't retire, but maybe he should officially become a part time wrestler and work as a "Special Attraction" kind of guy.

Rey Mysterio has slowed down. He's grown old. He's pudgier than he once was. He's had concerns with injuries, most notably with one of his knees. And yet-- and yet, the only way he could more emphatically prove those who doubt him wrong is if he had them line up along the ramp after his match and dick slap each and every one of them in the face.

Rey is, without a doubt, one of the best wrestlers in the world, and has been for almost a decade. If you put much stock in WCW cruiserweights, he's been one of the best wrestlers in the world for some fifteen years. From when he was wrestling Matt Hardy for the cruiserweight championship to when he was wrestling Randy Orton for the world championship. From when he was wrestling Chris Jericho for the intercontinental championship to when he was wrestling John Cena for the WWE championship. Night in, night out, Rey does not ever let the fans down.

You'd think that injuries and age would absolutely ruin the career of a luchadore - someone who you'd expect to be dependent on flips and leaps and nothing else (i.e. Sin Cara). Alas, no - Rey has only flourished as he's grown older. He can't do as many turns in air or jump as high, yet he turns in great matches and great feuds each month and each year.

And since he became like a 2nd John Cena, it made him stale and boring.

This is nonsense. How is Rey, in a pejorative sense at least, anything like John Cena? Rey Mysterio, career midcarder, has held three world championships for a total of about four months (and I'm pretty sure that's generous). Yeah - he's practically squatted in the main event.

taker sucks now in the ring.

Undertaker's arguably had much better matches as he's grown older than he did as a younger man. Certainly, one-match-a-year-Taker has had all kinds of people slobbering over his cock.

Rey's not getting in anyone's way. He'll fulfill the role he always has - midcarder, sometime main eventer, sometime number-maker-upper. It's not intrusive, it doesn't obscure anything more important - he's nothing but an aid to WWE. As long as Rey feels fit and healthy and happy to perform, I'll gladly grit my teeth and bear more years of versatile, fantastic Rey Myserio.

Rey still gets the job done plain and simple so there is no reason for him to retire as of yet. To make my point I'm gonna do a Rey/HBK comparison.

From 93-97 Shawn Michaels was untouchable from an athletic and in ring standpoint. He was an incredible athlete, often took risks and could literally do anything and then some between the ropes, in short he was incredible. His match against Razor Ramon at WMX is the stuff of legend. Rey Mysterio was very similar to HBK during that run, he did moves that made your jaw drop and brought a style of wrestling to America that was fast paced, exciting and put Mysterio on the map. I'm not saying he's as good as HBK but there are some big similarities to Rey's younger years and HBK's younger years.

Now HBK injured his back, left wrestling for 4 1/2 years and when he came back he was even better. He wasn't the athlete he used to be, he was still good but more limited physically than he used to be. With that said HBK was a much better performer in his later years than ever. Even though he didn't have the same physical tools it didn't matter, he became smarter in the ring, his in ring psychology got better and he became an even better storyteller in the ring. Who cares that he couldn't do as much physically, it just didn't matter. He still had the tools physically to get it done, his in ring psychology improved tenfold and in his last run he truly became the greatest performer in WWE history without question. Rey may not be in the same boat as HBK being the greatest in ring performer but once again its the same thing. Even though Rey can't do the same things physically as he did before he developed a better mind for wrestling. He learned to use his head more and his body less, his psychology got better and in that turned him from a flashy, death defying cruiserweight into a legitimate draw in wrestling and a permanent main eventer.

What I'm getting to is this, it doesn't matter if Rey has knee issues, or that he can't do the same stuff physically as he did before because in the long run none of that matters. He is still a better in ring performer than he used to be because he thinks more, he uses his moveset better, he uses storytelling to greater impact, in short he has improved in every way except slowing down more than he used to. It doesn't matter that he can't do the same stuff physically because in the long run, that stuff doesn't matter. He is a better storyteller than 95% of the roster in the ring (which in turn makes his matches better than 95% of the roster), he's more marketable, he's a bigger draw, a bigger deal and he still has the physical tools to get it done in the ring.

In short Rey shouldn't retire until he is ready to. He may not have the same physical tools but all in all he's a better performer and a better wrestler for using his brain more than his body.

Retire no. Work less matches yes. Rey is a guy who is very consistent in the ring, just not in his private life.. but lets look past that. There are tons of opportunities to go with a guy like Mysterio who has a lot of fans and support. Plus he plays the Babyface role pretty well, I like his charisma. If I were in charge I'd book Rey to gain some momentum put over some guys and feud for a midcard championship to elevate it. Give Sin Cara the IC title and let him feud with Mysterio. Or put them in a tag team. They both sell merch like a gem and we should be able to see an amazing Lucha Style match between these two. Mysterio is too over and too established to retire, he's got a couple more years to go.

Everyone knows that Rey-Rey suffered way too much injuries in his career, and his been gone for a pretty long time. He is getting older, and getting slower. The reason I ask this, is because I used to like Rey, back in his WCW/ECW days. He used to be innovative, and used to be cool, with or without the mask. The problem is that he 'juiced' himself up when he joined the WWE (And there is no other explanation to the way his body changed from 2004 to 2007.), all just for the sake of becoming a WWE champion.

I think that all 'juicing' kind of screwed him over. He can't move quickley. His body seems to be unable to carry all that muscle weight. He completely lost his coolness, in my opinion. And since he became like a 2nd John Cena, it made him stale and boring.

So, I think he should retire, for the sake of his career and legacy. If he retires now, he will be remembered as a WWE Champion, as the Ultimate Underdog. But I will always remember him for the awesome matches he had in WCW/ECW. His matches back then, were 2nd to none.

What is your opinion?

I think Rey should retire against Sin Cara Wrestlemania 29. I really feel like it'd be a phenomenal match and it would help put Sin Cara over.

I think he should retire. Not because I don’t like him. I think he was great and now he's ok. Face it, when/if he comes back he's taking someone’s spot or push and creative will not know what to do with him. The hardest part of all this is the power to be and creative to think of something that would be entertaining and different.
Why are people saying they went to see him vs Sin Cara? Do you really think your going to get the type of quality match from him 10 years ago? Sorry he hasn’t been a high flier since coming to WWE and beefing up.
Now then; I wouldn’t mind seeing something new. Maybe have him turn heel. He could blame it on the fans or whatever. He could join Alberto make a Stable. I was thinking Rey, Alberto, and maybe Camacho and Hunico. They could be called the Mexican Cartel or Rio-619.
I wouldn’t mind seeing him in any tag team face or heel. This would be good for several reasons. First it will take the work load off of him since he is considered injury prone. He will have more longevity. Also it would bring the tag division up.

I say when the time is right within the next year or so he will retire. IMO his legacy hasn't been tarnished and he will be remembered as a great competitor and champion. Later this summer will mark his 10th year with the WWE. He's got a lot of miles on him which is probably why he's slowed down over the last couple years or so. Also take in to consideration that his wrestling style is very fast paced/high impact on the knees and back area. When he retires he should get a nice send off. The guy deserves it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back