Should Jim Ross finally retire?

Matt7584

Occasional Pre-Show
I am a Jim Ross Mark and was so happy that he made an appearance on raw last night. Unfortunately when i look at Jim Ross now i see him like a father or grand father who doesn't look well. Jim has been through so much and has a heart of a lion but i honestly feared for him last might and was disgusted that Vince would allow jack swagger and Cole to beat him up. First of all did they not learn from steamboat to stop using men in their later years to put people over. To get to my point, there is no doubt that Jim still can call matches but should he? he has had so many health issues and why put him on the road like that. Also Jim looked heavier than usual and honestly older. His voice is a bit weaker and i fear his comeback wouldnt last long. So i feel that he should retire and enjoy it and stay healthy. There will never be a Jim Ross he is the John Madden of WWE, who btw stay longer than he should have.

So What do you think should he retire? or come back and commentate at ppvs or even work in the backstage area?

I would love to see him work just the PPVs. It would be like a special treat. He doesn't even have to work all of them, just the big ones like RR, WM SS, and Suvivor Series. They could treat it like they do when a celebrity or hall of famer comes back for an appearance. I don't think he should come back full-time b/c I don't think his health would allow it. I do think that tying him into to Lawler-Cole storyline was great. Also, bringing Brian Christopher in was genius.

I totally agree with you about last night. I was so pissed that Swagger & Cole were set to beat on JR. It was as bad as Cole making fun of King's mother. But, I don't think JR should retire FROM WWE. He can stay with the company, though. JR/King was one of THE greatest commentating partnerships in Raw history. But I dont think it was neccessary for JR to get ankle locked by a wanna-be Kurt Angle.

That whole segment last night seemed to me in poor taste; however, this is wrestling, and it probably isn't even the worst thing we'll see all month.

What really pissed me off was not that they had Jim Ross out there selling an ankle lock, but that they wasted almost 20 minutes selling a match that isn't going to generate one addition PPV buy at this point. Even worse it's a match between 2 non-wrestlers! I have no idea why they've wasted so much effort building Cole into a mega-heel just to wrestle one match. I'm just praying that this match gives Swagger a decent rub, so it won't have been a collossal waste of our time to have watched this shitshow of an angle unfold.

They could easily find something for the man to do. I am thrilled that he's doing the commentating for WWE All Stars. That decision alone helped push it to a Must Have title this year.

commentating is different from wrestling, JR could go for another 10 years (not that he will) and really, people would just like having him there commentating. of course, if JR wants to retire then by all means, he enterained us for years, if he wants to call it quits then by all means, but if he wants to keep going then awesome, just have him come in every so often, that should keep the fans happy as far as commentating goes.

The problem JR has is not with commentating, it's actually the very tough schedule WWE has. He would have to be on the road most of the time, and that is what's difficult for him to cope with. I agree, he should be used for some PPV's, and I'm certainly hoping to hear him call WM

I think he should commentate Wrestlemania this year, then stay off camera.

Don't get me wrong I love JR, but his years are getting up there and I think he's had his run.

The attack the other night was friggin terrible to see.

I don't think that JR should ever retire!!!!

I, personally, miss all the JRisms. You know: Bah Gawd, Slobber Knocker, Barn Burner, Getting Beat Like a Government Mule, He's Bleeding Like a Stuck Pig, He's Stomping a Mud Hole and Walking It Dry. Things like that.

JR could come back to commentating right now and take Cole's spot and as good as Cole has been here lately as a heel, I wouldn't miss him at all. JR is the greatest commentator of all the times.

No offense but why do these threads keep coming up? By that I mean threads like "Should _____ retire?". They are grown men earning a living. They will retire when they want to and they will retire when they are ready to. What the fuck?

No offense but why do these threads keep coming up? By that I mean threads like "Should _____ retire?". They are grown men earning a living. They will retire when they want to and they will retire when they are ready to. What the fuck?

Well JR's been gone for quite some time, and people are curious to know whether other viewers would like to see him return or not. Our opinions on this board aren't going to change anything, but it's always good to see how others feel on a topic like this.

A one-off commentating event for Ross would be great. After that I think he should remain in the shadows of the WWE and help backstage.

I obviously would love to see gold ole JR return and continue to call matches on a regular basis.

But as you stated, he's not in the best of shape and probably shouldnt. He didnt look terrible, to be honest he looked better than Brian Christopher did that night. He's still up there in age and has had too many medical scares to really keep himself away from the people who love and care about him most.

With that said, if JR was able to call Mania and any other big PPV's yearly i would love that. To be able to get my JR Fix @ Mania and Summerslam every year would be a big sell for me and other hardcore wrestling fans who would rather hear JR than Josh Mathews.

Jim Ross has effectively retired, to be honest. He doesn't do any commentary with the WWE, save for one appearance that I can remember. As he is known for being a broadcast commentator, I would say that his career is effectively over as he hasn't done any commentating... Is that starting to make sense?

Still, I think Jim Ross still has the talent to sit behind the desk for Raw. To be honest, I, like many people, miss him on Raw every Monday and that is why it was so great to see him back on Raw this past Monday. When you have something, you really don't know how much you appreciate it until it is gone and that is certainly the case for Jim Ross. I tend to think that he is the finest commentator that the WWE has ever seen and that surpasses anyone that you care to mention. For that reason, I would love to see him back behind the commentary desk on Raw once again. As an added bonus, it means that we likely wouldn't need to listen to the cheap heat that Michael Cole attempts to get every week and can actually get on with seeing the show for what it is.

However, I think that you mean retire from all of his roles within the WWE and that is not going to happen, to be honest. I read Jim Ross' blog from time to time and he is really enjoying being away from the table and working as a talent scout for the WWE on a more hands-on basis. It is not as daunting a task and it means that his travel time is shortened a little bit. If he can do all of that without endangering himself, then he ought to continue doing it. If he thinks he can maintain his health whilst being a part of the WWE, then we all have to respect that decision and be happy about the fact that we occasionally get to see JR on Raw from time to time.

I think that JR should come back for ppvs. Maybe just the big 4. I would love that. I have to admit I marked out really hard when I hear JR's music play and watched him walk down that ramp. I was happier for him to be back than for any of the other returns thus far.

As a fan, of course I want Jim Ross calling matches. Josh Matthews and Todd Grisham have zero charisma, and show little to no emotion. Jim Ross was very good at making the crowd feel the importance of a match. There isn't a commentator, in the WWE, who has that ability right now.

But, you have to be logical here. He's 59 years-old, and I'm not sure he really wants a full-time position. He may, but I don't know. As a selfish mark, yeah, I want him back. But if he's not healthy enough (and I've read several times that was the reason for him being replaced) to carry a schedule like that, he shouldn't come back, at least not full-time.

Oh, and to whoever said he looked heavier than usual-- bullshit. He looked far leaner than I've seen him in years.

It's my understanding that JR isn't ready to retire, so why force the guy to retire? It's not like his job takes a physical toll on his health - he sits at an announce table and speaks for two hours for one day a week.

If JR says he's ready to come back to full-time commentating, then I think he's ready to come back to full-time commentating. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back