Should "Fastlane" be removed from the PPV lineup?

MartialHorror

Mid-Card Championship Winner
This isn't a critique of this years "Fastlane", but of all the PPV's, this seems to be the most pointless. Nothing really happens because for the most part...very little can happen...it's trapped between the Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania- two of the most important and prestigious PPV's- so the inspired booking and writing will be put into one of those. "Fastlane" is doomed to be built up using creative fumes. If a title is going to change, it will probably be at "Wrestlemania" or "Royal Rumble". If there's a big heel or face turn, or a major spot or plot development, it will either be at "Wrestlemania" or "Royal Rumble".

I don't get why the Elimination Chamber was pulled out, as even if it was just as predictable, at least the gimmick differentiates it from the rest. "Fastlane" is just filler and it will probably always be filler. So I think it should either

- Be replaced with Elimination Chamber.
- Be free every year, instead of pissing off subscribers by making Royal Rumbles and Wrestlemanias free. Free PPV's minimizes disappointment.
- Be taken out altogether and spend the extra time building up the Wrestlemania feud.

But what do you guys think?

Absolutely. The WWE needs to remove Fastlane from the PPV lineup. Fastlane is 100% useless as a PPV brand. It brings NOTHING WHATSOEVER to the table. The format they had previously with Elimination Chamber being in between Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania worked fine. The Rumble determines the first wrestler to enter the Wrestlemania main event while one of the Elimination Chamber matches would determine the second. What does this brand even accomplish? Both Fastlane events have just been thrown together for the sake of having a PPV event in February. At least with Elimination Chamber there was a purpose behind it within the namesake match type. While we're at it, they should remove Battleground too. It's equally useless.

With the WWE Network model, they should eliminate the February PPV entirely.

Whether or not there is a PPV event, the WWE still collects the network subscription money every month, so now would be an appropriate time to actually cut back on the total number of PPVs. Cut it down to like 8, and build them up more so they feel more special. The sheer amount of content on the WWE Netwrork is more than enough to justify the purchase so I don't think they need to keep pumping out monthly PPVs to sell the Network. Plus on the months you don't have a WWE PPV you could do an NXT Takeover so at least there's still a special event available.

The old monthly PPV model is dead, it's been dead for awhile now. The Network is the new, more contemporary model, and it can allow them to rethink some things.

No Way Out never had that problem, looking useless. And I'm not talking about the No Way Out with the Elimination Chamber match in it, I'm talking about every No Way Out. They were always great PPVs and sometimes quite unpredictable.

The problem isn't the Fastlane PPV ot the fact that it's before Wrestlemania. The problem is that WWE has used that PPV for the last two years as a fucking Sunday Night RAW. And the fact that the World Championship was not defended the past two years made it seem useless.

Dagger is right about the Elimination Chamber being the best format. The Royal Rumble determines the one half of the main event of Wrestlemania and the EC can determine the other half. It's a same that this format was used only once, in 2014, when it also was the first time we had one World Champion. You want to get to Wrestlemania? You have to win the Rumble or survive the Elimination Chamber. That sounds nice as a notion.

Should it be eliminated from the standpoint of making sense and usefulness? Absolutely it should. But it's a PPV event they can up the ticket prices and still sell a live gate and merch at the arena. So it will never go away.

However, it does give them an out for certain things. If they need to call an audible on a Mania match, slap the title on someone else, they still have an event where they can do that and do so "unpredictably." That in its own right adds value to the PPV to them.

No, they shouldn't.

Only because they need a PPV in between to fix the royal screw up they make what seems like every year at the Royal Rumble by giving the championship match at Wrestlemania to some undeserving individual.

I don't mean Roman Reigns this year either.

With the Royal Rumble being as big as it is or was, that's where the main event at Wrestlemania should be decided. Whoever wins goes onto face the WHC champion. Instead they used the Rumble to set up Fastlane.

You need the time between the Rumble and Mania itself to build up that main event story and any other story lines that will have anything to do with Wrestlemania. There is no need to throw a random PPV between the two as it just muddy's up the water's.

Now this year I can understand because we needed a number one contender, but we all knew who it was going to be. Fastlane just gave people another reason to boo. I thought Fastlane was billed this year as an important PPV that would set up the biggest Mania ever, in retrospect it was a failure at doing that. Give us and the talent a rest, we don't need another useless PPV's even with the network. Dagger is right a couple more can be taken out as well Battleground and Payback come to mind.

Yes, It should be removed from the ppv line-up. As kpgreece mentioned that the 2 Fastlane events they organised didnot have the World Champion defending his title. WWE has two ways:

1. Remove Fastlane and let there be a long build to Wrestlemania from Royal Rumble itself.

2. Replace Fastlane with Elimination Chamber where Champion can defend his title with 5 others thus giving us better choice.

:devil:

It probably should, but if you get rid of the February PPV than a decision has to be made on all the others and a new PPV format would have to be thought out, it's a whole "thing". Plus, I don't think the PPV is necessarily the problem, as has been brought up already it's more so to do with the PPV's booking than anything else.

Simply put, the Wrestlemania main event should not be set in stone following the Rumble. Fast Lane should always be used as a means of adding some intrigue to the eventual Mania card, basically, the WWE title should always be defended and there should always be a question as to who's going to be in the main event. The last two years, FL has been completely useless because the WWEWHC wasn't defending the title and we knew who the #1 contender was a month before... where's the intrigue? What's the point?

The February PPV could be a fantastic asset to Wrestlemania. WWE just chooses to treat is as an afterthought.

Having Elimination Chamber one month before 'Mania is so stupid, not sure why they did that for years because the match bangs up talent pretty bad. Who thought it was a good idea to slam the talent around a hard metal structure right before the biggest show of the year? At least Fastlane doesn't feature an excessively dangerous gimmick match.

Night of Champions would fit nicely between Rumble and 'Mania. With every Championship on the line it gives the WWE a chance to get the titles on who they want for 'Mania. Let's say the tag champions are probably going to be left off the 'Mania card, no big deal because they may have had a great title defense at NoC and a 'Mania match wouldn't feel as necessary.

Absolutely. The WWE needs to remove Fastlane from the PPV lineup. Fastlane is 100% useless as a PPV brand. It brings NOTHING WHATSOEVER to the table.

Except for matches that decide the main event of WrestleMania that draw huge interest?

No Way Out never had that problem, looking useless. And I'm not talking about the No Way Out with the Elimination Chamber match in it, I'm talking about every No Way Out.

Yea man, the numerous ones that had straight up tag team matches and amounted basically to a glorified house show sure had a lot more riding on them than ones were the main event of wrestlemania were decided

Yes, It should be removed from the ppv line-up. As kpgreece mentioned that the 2 Fastlane events they organised didnot have the World Champion defending his title.

So what?

Many of you are talking straight out nonsense. The only reason they should cut this PPV is because they should cut back on PPVs in general.

Every year since about 2008 the Febuary PPV has had MASSIVE implications with highly anticipated matches, and often, was one of the best shows of the year from an unpredictability/story building standpoint.

Except for matches that decide the main event of WrestleMania that draw huge interest?

I never said I wanted to cut February PPV events entirely. My point was cut Fastlane itself as a brand because it's useless. Elimination Chamber achieved the exact same thing in far more entertaining fashion.

Every year since about 2008 the Febuary PPV has had MASSIVE implications with highly anticipated matches, and often, was one of the best shows of the year from an unpredictability/story building standpoint.

Exactly. I completely agree that having a February PPV to help set up the Wrestlemania card is fine. But what does Fastlane do that Elimination Chamber didn't do better? This is why I hated the old PPV format when shows like No Mercy or Unforgiven had nothing to set them apart from the rest. Fastlane and Battleground need to both be removed. Elimination Chamber can then again be the February show while two pointless brands are removed. Problem solved.

Exactly. I completely agree that having a February PPV to help set up the Wrestlemania card is fine. But what does Fastlane do that Elimination Chamber didn't do better?

Have people in matches were they don't get all fucked up, like in Elimination Chamber ?? :lmao: I loved it when they did that too, but if we are being honest, that was madness, and people got hurt in those matches regularly.

I can agree with the poster who said hold NOC in Febuary....Except for, if there is any show that is outdated, its NOC. How many PPVs happen now WITHOUT every title being defended? :shrug:

Fatal 4-way would be a happy medium. Its a unique guessing game spin on the title matches, and can be worked in ways to avoid injury that EC cannot be (without being shit)

Have people in matches were they don't get all fucked up, like in Elimination Chamber ?? :lmao: I loved it when they did that too, but if we are being honest, that was madness, and people got hurt in those matches regularly.

Fair enough lol.... It may not have to be a dangerous gimmick, but they need SOMETHING other than "hey it's February and we need a PPV".

I can agree with the poster who said hold NOC in Febuary....Except for, if there is any show that is outdated, its NOC. How many PPVs happen now WITHOUT every title being defended? :shrug:

I like having it in September. It's one of the highlights of the fall semester. Even though the concept is out of date, they can still salvage it if they have something to do in place of the idiotic non-title filler. They should allow an NXT showcase on Night of Champions. Make it special again, it would be the only night of the year when NXT titles can be defended on a main roster event. I'd even have the Money In The Bank holder defend their briefcase if they still have it. It makes more sense to do that there than at TLC like Cena and Ziggler did a while back. If they did the Night of Champions event in this format in February I'd be fine with it, but then what would they do in September? Elimination Chamber? Not a good idea with Hell In A Cell being the very next month. Gotta keep the dangerous gimmicks spread out.

Fatal 4-way would be a happy medium. Its a unique guessing game spin on the title matches, and can be worked in ways to avoid injury that EC cannot be (without being shit)

Ok, you're onto something here. Fatal Fourway was a dumb PPV last time around, although replacing Fastlane with it isn't a bad idea at all. Maybe do Fatal Fourways for both the World Heavyweight, Divas, and either Intercontinental or US Championships. Just no Fatal Fourways for the Tag Team Championships. I detest the whole "let's tag in someone from another team!" thing that they devolve into. It's incredibly stupid. Fatal Fourway would be better than Fastlane and safer on the road to Wrestlemania than Elimination Chamber (which could remain a summer event, I guess).... Good call. WWE should look into that.

All the points in the following post have been covered but typing on my tablet was such an unpleasant experience that I feel obliged to post it.

There's a good idea at the core of Fastlane, and of Elimination Chamber and No Way Out before that: if the Royal Rumble decides one half of the main event, Fastlane does the other half (i.e. the fast lane to WrestleMania). That the first Fastlanes have effectively been forgettable dross other than the main events has nothing to do with the month in which they've taken place. It can stay put.

Fastlane should be replaced with King of the Ring.

Imagine the dream match-ups and stories that can be created with the "random" tournament brackets... feuds can be teased and easily have a jumping off point with KoR well into WrestleMania.

King of the Ring is perfect for this. Plus, it can sort of serve as a mini-wrestlemania for the midcard that will likely not be fully featured on the biggest stage of the year.

Just imagine if the last Fastlane PPV had been booked like this:
Elimination Chamber Match
Roman Reigns vs Dean Ambrose vs Brock Lesnar vs Bray Wyatt vs Sheamus vs Rusev
Winner faces Triple H at Wrestlemania for the WWE Title

AJ Styles vs Chris Jericho III

Divas Title Match
Charlotte (c) (with Ric Flair) vs Sasha Banks

Edge & Christian segment DONE CORRECTLY ft The New Day, The Usos and The Dudley Boyz setting up a Triple Threat TLC "Edge & Christian Invitational" Match at Wrestlemania

USA Title 2 Out of 3 Falls Match
Kalisto (c) vs Alberto Del Rio

IC Title Match
Kevin Owens (c) vs Dolph Ziggler

The Wyatts vs Kane, Big Show & Ryback

Would you still like to remove it?

I don't see it wrong. I think fastlane is there just a ppv for some necessary precautions.
You know, for checking purposes.
maybe some change is required. so that they could asses things & completely setup things for wrestlemania at fastlane. this time, it was used for finding no. 1 contender. next year, something else. Fastlane could be used for checking what people actually want for wrestlemania, & let them set up things appropriately.
sometimes, fastlane could be fruitful & sometimes not. this time, we were sure that roman is going to win. but when dean lost to KO. we thought that there might be something coming for dean. so fast lane became a little unpredictable.

no need to throw fastlane out but use it appropriately.

I liked the idea of KOTR being the filler, having a PPV that can be built without the titles, means they can keep title feuds from RR to WM building, without having a predictable title match between.

The KOTR itself can be used to springboard a Mid Carder to the ME if used properly (it's been a long time since they did it right).

The sentiment among the people I watched Fast Lane with, was basically, that we just watched RAW, even down to having Tag Team talking segments instead of a match, having a pointless diva tag match, #1 contenders match, which is usually a RAW thing, they just need to really find something special for the ppv to make it matter.

What they ought to do is change the name to Last Ride. In honor of the Undertaker and his legendary undefeated streak at... oh wait.

And they should bring back Halloween Havoc.

Its all about money now! Feuds run for a month or two because there's a PPV just around the corner. Storylines become shorter rather than when you had the old 'big four'.
Its all just too diluted and nothing seems long term!?

This isn't a critique of this years "Fastlane", but of all the PPV's, this seems to be the most pointless. Nothing really happens because for the most part...very little can happen...it's trapped between the Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania- two of the most important and prestigious PPV's- so the inspired booking and writing will be put into one of those. "Fastlane" is doomed to be built up using creative fumes. If a title is going to change, it will probably be at "Wrestlemania" or "Royal Rumble". If there's a big heel or face turn, or a major spot or plot development, it will either be at "Wrestlemania" or "Royal Rumble".

I don't get why the Elimination Chamber was pulled out, as even if it was just as predictable, at least the gimmick differentiates it from the rest. "Fastlane" is just filler and it will probably always be filler. So I think it should either

- Be replaced with Elimination Chamber.
- Be free every year, instead of pissing off subscribers by making Royal Rumbles and Wrestlemanias free. Free PPV's minimizes disappointment.
- Be taken out altogether and spend the extra time building up the Wrestlemania feud.

But what do you guys think?

I don't see nothing wrong with Fast Lane. We didn't see the title defended in the EC at 2013 and 2015 and 2016 for Fast Lane and I think that's a problem.

I have absolutely no problem with Fastlane. In fact, I think it's better for them to have it as the final stop before Mania. Also, for those that keep bringing up the Elimination Chamber you can go ahead and dismiss that. Other than Corpus Christi, not many venues have the ability to compensate for the Elimination Chamber structure. So just can it on that one will you? Kay, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back