How many PPV events should there be? What should they be?

The Whole F'N Moe

Dark Match Jobber
In your opinion how many PPV's a year should there be and what should they be....

Before The WWENetwork (for just $9.99) I had a stronger opinion on this as that's not a lot to pay for as many ppv's as WWE has. A lot of people will say as long as I only have to pay $9.99 they can have as many as they want and while I agree on some level I find it hard to get invested in a PPV every month depending on which one it is and I find it makes them a lot less special. So my question is

In your opinion how many PPV's a year should WWE be running and what should they be??

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------
In my opinion:

In Order
Leaving 2 months before WM for build up.....

StarrCade

SummerSlam

King Of The Ring

Halloween Havoc - Replacing HIAC, because there's way too many cage matches these days and it makes the stipulation less special in general, back in the day a cage match was like Christmas.

Bragging Rights - Raw Vs NXT (Every match pitting an NXT star vs a Raw star)

The Royal Rumble

Elimination Chamber

WrestleMania - MITB PPV gone and match put back at WM since The Streak is no more.

I'd be fine if they went back to the Brand Extension days with the PPV's personally, sadly they can't being as no superstar is brand specific but if they did it again I'd enjoy it. The big 4 are for both brands, 4 of the other are Raw and 4 others are smackdown...hell you could get NXT in on it too.

Royal Rumble-Supershow
Elimination Chamber-Raw
Wrestlemania-Supershow
April PPV-Smackdown
May PPV-NXT
June PPV-Raw
July PPV-Smackdown
Summerslam-Supershow
September PPV-NXT
October PPV-Raw
Survivor Series-Supershow
December PPV-Smackdown

You'd have it almost completely brand specific except the world title match. Of course this won't happen anytime soon. So if I had to keep it in the realm of possibility I'd say make it 11 just manipulate them better

January 3rd sunday-Royal Rumble
February 4th sunday-No Way Out(why is it Elimination Chamber anyway? Liked it better as surprises)
April 1st sunday-Wrestlemania(agree with the MitB going back here especially with only 1 world title)
May 2nd sunday-Payback(I figure a lot of Wrestlemania feuds will carry over, plus the post WM betrayals)
June 3rd sunday-Battleground(New feuds being set up, new guys coming up, doesn't need a sassy name imo)
July 3rd sunday-The Great American Bash(Think feuds being more emotional, tensions higher...Murica)
August 4th sunday-Summerslam(The biggest party of the end of summer)
September 3rd sunday-Cyber Sunday(why isn't this still around? No titles on the line just midcarders)
October 1st Sunday-No Mercy(feuds are wrapping up, new ones are starting)
November 3rd sunday-Survivor Series(keep it near Thanksgiving!)
December 3rd sunday-Night Of Champions(this way they can move the belts around to set up for WM)

I mean with the network you go 6 months at a time, so say you get it in January you still 5 PPV's, in April you'd get 6 and July you'd get 6. You'd have no gimmick PPV's(why are they here now anyway?), plus you'd have a PPV devoid of rivalries for guys with no feuds.

If it was me, There would be six PPVs, and one PPV-quality show for NBC

End of January - Royal Rumble
First Sunday in April - Wrestlemania
First Sunday in June - Starrcade
July 4th - Great American Bash (NBC) If it is a Monday, Raw gets pre-empted on USA
Last Sunday in August - SummerSlam
Last Sunday in October - Halloween Havoc
Second Sunday in December - King of the Ring

You can still have 12 PPV's a year. But preserve the Big 4. Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, SummerSlam, Survivor Series. But I would suggest that the WWE looks at it as a 2 year cycle. For example - year 1 could be - Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, WrestleMania, Backlash, Judgement Day, War Games, SummerSlam, Night of Champions, Hell in a Cell, Breaking Point, Survivor Series, TLC.

The following year could mix it up with different themed around the Big 4; Royal Rumble, St Valentines Day Massacre, WM, Vengance, King OF the Ring, Great American Bash, SummerSlam, Payback, No Mercy, Fatal 4 way, Survivor Series and the last one- WWE presents the Christmas Spectacular.

I say it like this because if you change up the PPV's, then it keeps it interesting; and more people would be inclined to pay for an event that they had not seen for 2 years. King of the Ring tournament, Elimination chamber, and a christmas special every couple of years; could work.

The problem is not actually how many PPV's they have it is how little talent they have gotten over in the past decade. Look at what they have done to the Wyatts, Ziggler and Cesaro.

I would do 6 ppvs, and bring back saturday night main events before each one.

mine would be

January- Royal Rumble

April - Wrestlemania

June- Heatwave

August- Bash at the Beach

October- Halloween Havoc

December- Starcade

Before the Network, I would almost always say 6 PPVs a year is enough.

January – Royal Rumble (Winner of the Royal Rumble main events WrestleMania)
March – WrestleMania
May – King Of The Ring (Winner of the King of the Ring Tournament main Events SummerSlam)
July – SummerSlam (all non-Title matches are number one contenders matches for Night Of Champions)
September – Night Of Champions (Champions at the end of the night will be a 5 – man team of Champions at the following Survivor Series)
November – Survivor Series (Survivors of each match draw higher number in the following Royal Rumble)

After the Network, I say we should stick with 12. I say this only because I’m a subscriber to the Network. Watching past WWE / WCW / ECW PPVs, I think I, myself, am at about 10 a month anyway.

Feed Me More!!

I'd be happy with the big 4 and maybe King of the Ring if it was a one night tournament like it used to be. Also Survivor Series would need to be classic format.

Give the story lines a little more time to build and hopefully cut down on the number of rematches we see.

However the selfish part of me wants there to be 12 because I tend to look forward to them every month. Even if they don't look good on paper.

Reducing the number of PPVs directly hits their revenue and negatively impacts their bottom line. No company would do that.

But let's assume 100% of their PPV revenue globally is coming from the Network. So everyone is on the Network, and there are no more traditional pay-per-view revenue streams coming in. You could in theory go to two PPV's per quarter (they'd want to balance their quarterly reporting out as evenly as possible) and then have a "PPV" quality show on free television on RAW every 3 months, in order to drive network subscriptions.

You'd ideally want to have these TV super shows, with main event level matches and talent during hot TV periods such as September (premiere season), February (sweeps) and May (sweeps and finale season).

Q1:
January: Royal Rumble
February: RAW: SuperShow
March: No Way Out

Q2:
April: WrestleMania
May: RAW: SuperShow
June: Night of Champions

Q3:
July: King of the Ring
August: SummerSlam
September: RAW: SuperShow

Q4:
October: Halloween Havoc
November: Survivor Series: Elimination Chamber/War Games
December: RAW: SuperShow

December is a low ratings month traditionally due to holidays, I never thought there should be a PPV in December since no one is really in the mood to sit and watch TV or order a wrestling show.

There should be 12. Just as there has been for over 15 years. Quit trying to re-invent the wheel.

It's easy for someone with no financial stake in the company to say they should cut back on doing PPV's. Having each monthly PPV on the Network is the biggest draw TO the Network, and now you want to reduce how many they do? Absurdity.

I'd personally worry about the QUALITY of the PPV's, not QUANTITY. Whatever WWE wants to do, it's pretty much guaranteed that nothing we say or do is going to sway their decision. Yes, there have been exceptions, but by and large WWE is going to do what they feel is best, whether or not we agree with it. That being said, I do enjoy WWE putting on monthly PPV's, and no matter how much a card sucks, I tend to watch anyway, because there have been times I was thinking that a certain match would suck and I was surprised and glad I was wrong (case in point: Big Show vs. Sheamus for the World title at Hell in a Cell 2012). I would enjoy it if they brought back King of the Ring, even if it were only once every 2 years. I would like them to take out the Money in the Bank PPV and put the match back at WrestleMania. But as I said, I'm not expecting WWE to take my opinion into account.

...would an NXT-Themed PPV bring down the profit too much to be viable?

I mean, give NXT TWO of the current PPVs (specifically, the ones that are less than a month from the prior ones), and treat them as if winning a given match results in anything from a cup of coffee in WWE to a bona-fide promotion. This reduces the weariness of PPV saturation by giving the audience something unique, dangles a visible carrot to those laboring in NXT(it may induce an increased effort and dedication, a 'promotion' being the ultimate sign that you can be trusted in this business) and also helps put NXT in a greater spotlight as a genuine 'Development League' for their sport, if you will.

my lineup if they would do 2-3 month break in between
Jan - Royal Rumble this should be the road to WrestleMania no PPV's inbetween just a solid build of all the matches and the main event set in stone
April - WrestleMania
June - King of The Ring - winner gets a title match at SummerSlam
August - SummerSlam
October - Starrcade/Night of Champions (ALL titles on the line)
November - Survivor Series (team matches like the good old days)
inbetween they could do tournaments over RAW and Smackdown to determine challengers

with 12 PPV's
Jan - Royal Rumble
Feb - No Way Out
April (1st weekend of) - WrestleMania
May - Backlash
June - King of the Ring (SummerSlam #1 contender tournament)
July - Great American Bash
August - SummerSlam
September - Starrcade/Night of Champions
October - Halloween Havoc
November - Survivor Series - regular Team Elimination.
December - Armageddon (end of all fueds) and the start of Royal Rumble setup

There should be no more than one per month. WWE should put more effort into some of the brands, and others need to be removed altogether. I'm looking at YOU, Battleground!

January - Royal Rumble
Traditional way to start off the year, tons of history with this brand and it's one of the Big 4.

February - Elimination Chamber
It helps determine who the Royal Rumble winner faces and it's namesake is an enjoyable match type.

Late March or early April - Wrestlemania
If anyone removes Wrestlemania they've lost their mind. Biggest show in all of wrestling, it stays.

May - Over the Limit
I liked this brand. I'd bring it back and make it feature match types such as Last Man Standing, Submission, I Quit, and possibly Iron Man matches. This replaced Extreme Rules which I would remove from the PPV calendar.

June - Payback
I am fine with them keeping this brand as long as they put effort into making it stand out from the others. The Three Stages of Hell match should become an annual tradition here, like they did with Cena VS Ryback.

July - Money In the Bank
This has become the biggest of the new PPV brands. It is a match type that always interests me and the show has delivered with every edition it has had since the PPV brand's creation.

August - Summerslam
Much like Wrestlemania and Royal Rumble, there is way too much history and tradition here for it to be changed. The 2nd biggest sjow of the year stays right where it is.

September - Night of Champions
With the belt unifications in recent years this show has decreased a bit in potential and importance. They should add a stipulation of if Money In the Bank holders have a briefcase, they must put it up for grabs here. I would also support the idea of NXT's champions getting a chance to showcase their skills in title matches on this show too. It would be their one chance to prove themselves on a main roster show, and it would add to the "every title is on the line" gimmick, keeping this show as special as it was before 2010. It also saves us from idiotic non-title filler matches.

October - Hell In A Cell
They need to be less lazy in booking this show, but it's worth keeping around and October is the best time of the year to have it. It just fits.

November - Survivor Series
This show has a lot of history, but it has fallen so far behind the other three members of the Big 4 that it's not even funny. WWE should put more effort into the traditional elimination matches. We need more than "Hey, let's put this group of guys up against that group of guys!" and that goes for the divas elimination match if they have those again too. It can be memorable again if WWE put forth the effort to make that happen. Definitely worth keeping around for the brand's history and tradition.

December - TLC
This show is everything Extreme Rules wishes it was. Tables match, Ladder match, Chairs match, and TLC match. Four gimmicks with weapons all in one show. It's the perfect way to end feuds for the year before we start over again with the Rumble. This needs to stay, but they need to bring back the other gimmick matches. Having only one last year was really stupid.

So there you have it. 11 shows per year with one each month other than March which goes toward the build up for Wrestlemania. I'm perfectly fine with WWE doing monthly shows as long as effort is put into making each brand work. It's better than having all of the generic brands we used to have such as No Mercy or Unforgiven where nothing stood out other than the Big 4. I'd rather know ahead of time what to expect.

this is how id do it

January - Royal Rumble
February - Extreme Rules
March - None
April - Wrestlemania
May - Backlash (used to love this ppv, it made perfect sense lol..backlash of Mania)
June - King of The Ring
July - None (the big build to SS which wiould be promoted sorta as Mania of Summer)
August - Summerslam
September - Payback
October - Hell in a Cell
December - Night of Champions

id do away with the ladder match themed ppvs..MITB is always one of my favorite ppvs and the ladder match is my favorite gimmick match but id much rather see the briefcase on the line during Mania each year..ladder matches should be used in a special fued or circumstance..

January- Royal Rumble
February- No Way Out changing Elimination Chamber's name back to No Way Out
March- No PPV
April- WrestleMania (Money in the Bank returns to WrestleMania)
May- Extreme Rules
June- Payback
July- Cyber Sunday (replacing Money in the Bank)
August- SummerSlam
September- Night of Champions
October- Hell in a Cell
November- Survivor Series
December- Armageddon replacing TLC

So all together for me anyway there would be 11 PPVs in a calendar year

First of all, anyone who said any less than 11 PPVs a year are dreaming. PPVs are one of WWE's key sources of direct revenue. The reason they have 12 is because they make more money. They know if they had 13 it would be too much and even though 12 is pushing it, it at least makes sense: 1 PPV per month.

So I say that WWE should keep their 12 PPVs a year, because I know, in reality, that's what makes most business sense for them. I just think they could do way better in the brands of PPVs they use. I honestly think they are missing out on PPV buys because some of their PPV brands are boring and don't mean much to people, or lost their appeal from being done too much.

Here is my breakdown of how it should be done:

January - Royal Rumble
Perfect way to start off the year. Tons of tradition in this PPV and lots of excitement. Nothing more to say.

February - Night of Champions
I like Elimination Chamber but I guess I'm thinking about the Superstars bodies. With the brutality of this match, I can't believe they scheduled it as the PPV before WrestleMania. All the key injuries that could have happened to their WM headliners is astounding but they have lucked out so far.

I guess I don't mind Elimination Chamber being here but I think Night of Champions might be better because every title SHOULD be on the line the PPV before WrestleMania to clearly establish each champion before the big show. I did like NoC in the fall because I always hate how often WWE has PPVs that don't already have every title on the line or even a match with title implications and I feel that NoC in September is a way for WWE to remind themselves to put every title on the line. However, I think they can manage still doing that with the PPVs they have in the fall without it being called "Night of Champions."

March - Wrestlemania
For obvious reasons.

April - Backlash
Loved the name of this PPV because it made so much sense. The "backlash" from the fallout of WrestleMania. Sad to see it go. Hope to see it return.

May - Extreme Rules
Good PPV brand. Who doesn't love a PPV where you know you're going to see some carnage? I mean it's partially the reason we are all wrestling fans. We love to see the high impact stuff so a PPV where we know we are going to see it is interesting. I think May is a good month for it.

June - Money in the Bank
I loved when it was the opening match for WrestleMania. I felt it was just perfect. A fun spot-fest with title implications to get the fans engaged right away. That said, I understand why it isn't at WM any more. It is an interesting enough concept to sell itself as it's own PPV. WrestleMania main events usually sell itself so adding or subtracting a MitB match doesn't make much difference.

Having MitB in June is a good time. It helps establish a few stars for big summer angles before SummerSlam.

July - Judgement Day
Thought it was a great name for a PPV and the graphic the went with it. Judgement day in July just seems right, with it being the month for the 4th of July and other independence days around the world. Not that this PPV has to do with independence days but it just seems like an appropriate month for a PPV like this.

August - Summerslam
2nd biggest PPV of the year stays here, obviously.

September - King of the Ring
Would LOVE to see this come back as a PPV where the tournament happens all within the PPV (or at least the key final rounds). I think it's Vince McMahon's lack of understanding about real sports and the compelling nature of playoffs that has made him uninterested in having this tournament very often over the last number of years. Hopefully, he gets a kick in the pants soon and realizes it would be a great idea.

The winner of the King of the Ring could then be automatically entered into the WWE World Heavyweight Championship Elimination Chamber match, which is the next PPV.

October - Elimination Chamber
I feel this would be a good month for the Chamber PPV. In case some Superstars do get injured, the next two PPVs are usually crucially important and it means an injured Superstar could heal and be back as a surprise entrant in the Royal Rumble. I know no one can predict injuries and severity so this doesn't mean much but this would still be a good month for this PPV as I think an Elimination Chamber themed PPV is much more compelling than a Hell in a Cell themed PPV. I feel Hell in a Cell and TLC matches should be reserved to special circumstances for feuds that would make sense having those matches.

PPV with deep tradition in WWE so obviously they will keep it and I see no problem with it's placement in this month and time of the year. I do think they could make the PPV better by having more traditional elimination tag team matches but the concept of the PPV is good and it is a nice break from seeing a bunch of NON elimination tag team matches throughout the year on Raw, SmackDown and other PPVs.

December - Cyber Sunday
Makes sense because of Christmas season having a PPV that is "giving" the fans the opportunity to make the matches they way they want.

So there you have it. 12 PPVs and reasons for each of them. I tried to be as realistic as possible. I hope to see WWE do some of these changes, but I know most of them won't probably happen but we'll see.

Now that the network is here, 12 ppvs is fine. However they can't all be expected to be blockbusters, a lot of them will be like slightly better versions of RAW with more storyline progression etc. Like Battleground, that whole PPV was just used to continue the set up for summerslam

January- None
February- Royal Rumble
March- None
April- Wrestlemania
May- None
June- Extreme Rules
July- None
August- Summerslam
September- None
October- Survivor Series
November- None
December- King Of The Ring (Winner gets to be #30 in the RR)

January: Royal Rumble
The real start of the road to Wrestlemania should stay at the start of the year.

February: No Way Out
This is a useless PPV spot because the road to Wrestlemania is set in stone at the Rumble. Wasting a big gimmick like Elimination Chamber here is pointless.

March: Wrestlemania
Of course.

April: NONE
Don't worry about a PPV this month right after Wrestlemania. You've got their money.

May: King of the Ring
One of the original big five. Not only bring it back, bring it back and make it into what it was originally meant to be... a way to get newer guys that one big bump into superstardom. And it's perfect here, because you know they premiere a ton of guys after Wrestlemania.

June: Money In The Bank
Create a little drama and buzz for the upcoming Summerslam. Will they cash in? Won't they? Who really came out as a show-stealer in the big matches?

July: Summerslam
I've got a bright idea. Why not actually put Summerslam IN THE MIDDLE OF F---ING SUMMER?

August: Night of Champions
Because why not?

September: Survivor Series
The Fall Classic

October: NONE
Essentially cutting the WWE PPV schedule in half... five PPVs and one month off.

November: November to Remember
... I'm an ECW boy, let me dream. Please just let me dream of a regular PPV by this name where all the matches are some kind of Hardcore match. Essentially cramming TLC, Extreme Rules, etc into one show a year.

December: Elimination Chamber.
Move it here. An unofficial kickoff to Mania season.

I'd like to keep it to 12 PPV's a month. And I really don't mind themed PPV's as long as it's not match specific (i.e. Hell in a Cell, Elimination Chamber etc), I'd rather PPV's revolve around a theme like Night of Champions where only Championship Matches takes place.

Jan - Royal Rumble
Feb - No Way Out - Caged themed PPV can involve Cage Matches, EC, or Hell in a Cell though PPV does not have to feature every gimmick match
Mar/Apr - Wrestlemania
Apr - Backlash - rematches or return bouts from WM
May - Extreme Rules
June - King of the Ring -> Winner becomes the #1 contender either a NOC of Summer Slam
July - Night of Champions - all titles on the line. Only title matches are featured
Aug - Summer Slam
Sept - Over the Limit - time limit themed bouts (Championship Scamble, Ultimate Submission, Iron Man etc)
Oct - Cyber Sunday - interactive PPV (though unlike previous iterations here's hoping to actual fan involvement with real options).
Nov - Survivor Series
Dec - TLC - Matches involves tables, ladders, chairs, or all of the above

Whelp, some of this is gonna seem copied from others. Chalk them up to being especially good concepts. This by the way preserves the present PPV format.

Royal Rumble- Late January
-Nothing to mess with here.

Night of Champions- Late February
-Radical gets the kudos for introducing the idea. Elimination Chamber causes undue wear and tear on the competitors, and in some overall storylines lead to dull Championship Matches. Not to say NoC is guaranteed excitement (you'll likely NEVER see the Big Title change hands on this PPV, but it's the best possible name PPV you can move here and not lose buyrates. The only thing I would add to this is a genuine NXT undercard/dark match featuring their title belts.

Wrestlemania- Early April
-A lot of the congestion you see in the later half of the year? Caused by Wrestlemania going past March. But that's fine- it offers extra time to build the stories. In addition, we bring back the Money in the Bank match(more on that down the line)

Extreme Rules- Early May
-Granted, the Hardcore Wrestling aspect isn't always up to snuff, but in the traditional Post-WM event(Backlash offered nothing distinctive) you could do a lot worse.

TLC: Tables, Ladders, and Chairs- Early June
-Given that this is a weak sister of PPV spots, we can afford to take a gamble. Personally, I don't think TLC is going to do worse here than in December. Some wrinkles; Title Champions make the stipulations concerning what tools can be used. For matches without titles, employ Cyber Sunday tactics and use Fan 'Voting'. And perhaps make the WWE Title match a required full TLC match.

NXT: Battleground- Late June
-This is the big change to the calender. Like ECW used to have at least one dedicated PPV, so should NXT. My idea revolves around not just the Titles being defended, but winners earning chances up in the Big League in the future, whether it be cups of coffee, a handful of matches, to the big prize of a genuine promotion to WWE. The downside is whether or not said wrestlers truly ARE ready for the big show, which can degrade both the quality of the matches and the potential 'prizes' for winning. But ideally, it's an early showcase.(It might work better in March before Wrestlemania)

King of the Ring: Mid-Late July
-A lot of people want this one back. I would add this stipulation; the King at the end is the #1 contender for the WWE Title at Summerslam, just to drive home the value of the tournament(beforehand it was just a showcase for the younger guys making their way up, which is valuable but at the same time not deep enough of a hook to survive as a PPV). Hell, if you can somehow add to said gimmick (Queen of the Ring perhaps?) it might help pad the card.

Summerslam: Mid-August
-Another PPV I'm not screwing with.

Breaking Point: Mid-September
-The concept for this one has always been about Submission Rules. You tap or say 'I Quit'. Every match. The degree of the submission depends solely upon what the wrestlers agree to- sometimes you can stretch that beyond conventional boundaries for added humor/shock.

Hell in a Cell: Late October
-As much as I want the Cell to be a Grudge Settler, it's viable enough for a PPV. Right now, it's only for the Main Events on the card. Perfect for rubber matches starting from Summerslam.

Survivor Series: Late November
-I would say bring back the traditional format. Five-Wrestler teams throughout the card. Someone somewhere in this forum I think mentioned have the Title Holders and their challengers pick teams, though we probably couldn't have Titles be on the line this time around.

Elimination Chamber: Late December
-Credit to WBL for this one. This would be the kickoff to Wrestlemania season. Personally, I would involve the chamber multiple times (WWE Title, Mid-Card title, Divas Title) but twice for the championship and #1 Contender status is fine with me.

Reactions: WBL

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back