Should Elder Wrestlers Be Allowed To Wrestle?

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
It seems like a hot topic in news media following Jerry Lawler's incident and the fact that he was fresh off a match. Various news media have shown a degree of concern about letting guys of such advanced age wrestle. Not that long ago Lawler was in a Steel Cage of all things. I'm sure people who voted it are probably ready to cut their clicking finger off out of guilt, but to the point. No one forced Jerry Lawler to compete. In contrast, why book Lawler in the feud in the first place? Was he really needed to push CM Punk's heel turn? Not in my book at least. That, along with the time Bubba Ray Dudley Powerbombed Mae Young off the stage, a good portion of Ric Flair's matches in TNA, all Hulk Hogan's matches in TNA, Bret Hart's match at Wrestlemania 26. They may be doing it because they want to, but it doesn't change the fact that they run risks. Of all the people to fall to that risk it was the least likely candidate.

I can understand that Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, Jerry Lawler and anyone you can put on that particular field want to go on but I feel a line should be drawn. If an old electrician wants to keep working past his retirement, are you gonna let him work with electric wiring when he runs the risks of developing Parkinson's or other illnesses and still work? A bit harsh or exaggerated, you should be able to notice and do something, but it begs the same question. If you don't need to do it and you know you are running risks, why do it? Passion shouldn't be an excuse to run these risks. Especially on TV in front of a large live audience.

I don't see any problem with letting them go out there an do a match every now an then if they are in good enough shape. A lot of people are gonna be bring this up an saying he only had a heart attack because of his age an cause he was only 30 mins past a match. But who is to say if he didn't even have a match that night the same thing would not of happens anyway.

Now age isn't the only thing that hurt Jerry Monday night. For them to put a stint in his heart he had had a blockage going on in there for a while. There is no telling some of the younger guys could have the same thing going on an it could happen to them just like it did Jerry.

This is a complicated issue and a good topic. I do believe that age had alot to do with Lawlers heart attack. Even if Lawler wanted to wrestle Vince and Wwe do have to share some responsibility for what happened to him because they should have had the common sense to tell him No. But then again Wwe is more concerned about filling up the 3 hour air time they now have on raw instead of being so concerned about their wrestlers.

But it is a hard thing to pinpoint exactly at what age a person should stop wrestling especially since you would basically be telling that person that he can no longer earn a living.
The old wrestler himself will fight this tooth and nail because he needs to make a living.

whether or not wrestling is called entertainment or wrestling it is still a sport and as a sport it is a strenuous one. Unlike golf or even baseball it is a strenuous sport more like football,basketball or soccer however the matches are shorter than a sports game taking anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes.

While we see the wrestler have a match maybe once a week he does wrestle alot more than that, wrestling in house shows and more importantly in many practice sessions to get ready for the big match and have everything down pat.

In an ideal world older wrestlers would not have to wrestle pass a certain age but many have to because of a need of money. This was not the case with Jerry Lawler since he works as a commentator and has a secure job but for many others this is the case and we should think about them. Wrestlers who are wrestling pass when its safe for them to do so because they have to.

Playing Football,Basketball,Baseball,etc takes a heavy toll on the athletes body as their body take a beating. Wrestlers bodies also take a heavy beating during their career.

Why do we not see football,basketball,soccer,or even baseball players play in their late 50's or 60's for money? 1-because it is unsafe and unhealthy 2-because most of these sports have pension plan. This ensures that once the athlete is washed up he is taken care of and doesn't have to do desperate things to get money later in life.

Wrestling should have a pension plan for these older wrestlers. Do we really want to see Ric Flair,Sting,Hogan and many others die in the ring of heart attacks in the future?

Of course this will not be the case with the big names i mentioned because unless they are totally irresponsible with their money they should not be that desperate in their old age. However this is not the case for hundreds of other less famous wrestlers who have to kill themselves for money in small untelevised wrestling shows across the country.

The solution to the question is give them a pension plan so they do not have to because they need money.

I was one of the many detractors for the Hogan VS Sting match at Bound For Glory last year, but when I finally saw it, I actually enjoyed the match. You couldn't realistically expect some sort of masterpiece inside the ring, because both men are well into their fifties. Hogan VS Sting provided a nice dose of nostalgia, and then this happened:

[YOUTUBE]LLp6c2RjAds[/YOUTUBE]

You can call it illogical, but Hogan's face turn at BFG last year sparked a MASSIVE pop from the live crowd. I haven't followed TNA from the beginning (started watching in 2005), but this has to be one the most, if not the most memorable moment in TNA history. The crowd went absolutely nuts, and if that moment doesn't give you goosebumps, then you are purposely trying to block out any emotions you might have.

I don't see a problem with having a match on special occasions. Seeing certain legends or old timers go at can provide some good nostalgia, but only on a VERY limited basis. I don't feel anything special, when Flair wrestles, because he's had more than one "career threatening" match. It doesn't feel special, because we've all seen Flair wrestle over and over again.

But when you mix the rough and physical grind of a wrestling match with old age, there's always a chance something bad can happen. I cringe whenever I see Flair step into the ring now a days, and I'm not a doctor, but you have to believe Lawler's recent increase of ring time played a part in his sudden heart attack.

A lot these guys are always going to have that certain itch to get back in the ring again. When Flair locked up with Ricky Steamboat during the 2009 Hall Of Fame Ceremony, you had to expect a return to the ring; it was inevitable. I think most elder wrestlers know their limitations. They can't go to the ring, and wrestle the same way they did twenty years ago; it's just not going to happen. Certain restrictions might help, but at the end of the day, a lot of people aren't going to stop a willing elder wrestler, who decides to wrestle another match.

It's their own choice. As long as they are safe to do so, promoters should have no problem either. Besides, what's old? It's just a subjective opinion if you ask me.

As long as they are still fit, and if required, able to take bumps, then of course they should still wrestle, the only exceptions would be if they have a lot of nagging, ongoing injuries, ie the Undertaker who turned 50 a couple of months back.

It's their own choice. As long as they are safe to do so, promoters should have no problem either. Besides, what's old? It's just a subjective opinion if you ask me.
Ah, but what is "safe" to do so? I don't think anyone sent Jerry Lawler to perform with CM Punk thinking he was "unsafe". It is a subjective opinion (to a point) as to when someone is physically fit to professionally wrestle, but as soon as someone is seriously hurt because someone erred on that subjective call, it turns into an objective reality for the promoter. Then it turns into a media story you have to bury, advertisers you have to placate, new rules you have to create and then enforce, and plenty of other consequences that can't be immediately foreseen. (Who would have thought that Chris Benoit's double murder-suicide would turn into concussion-related mandatory leaves?) I'll bet that folks in Stamford are still thanking God every night that Jerry didn't have his heart attack while physically performing.

It's like requiring mandatory driving tests for people over 70. There are a lot of older drivers who have absolutely no business behind the wheel- but at the same time, there are plenty of older drivers who have maintained their competence, and requiring them to prove it is almost an insult to their intelligence, based merely on what year they were born. Where do you draw the line? States are still puzzling this one out.

Fortunately (or not), elder professional wrestling performers are a small enough sample size that you can leave it to the promoter's individual discretion. They have to make the judgement call as to when someone is fit to perform, and as we've seen (Hi, Jeff Hardy!) promoters aren't always thinking with their performer's best interests in mind.
PRMETFAN said:
Why do we not see football,basketball,soccer,or even baseball players play in their late 50's or 60's for money? 1-because it is unsafe and unhealthy 2-because most of these sports have pension plan. This ensures that once the athlete is washed up he is taken care of and doesn't have to do desperate things to get money later in life.
I thought it was because men in their 50's and 60's don't physically perform as well as men in their 20's. Football and basketball players typically retire in their early to mid 30's. Baseball players can hang around into their early 40's, and a case like Jamie Moyer (late 40's) gets people talking about 'still getting kids out'. Professional sports aren't (largely) about having a familiar name walk in, rip off his shirt, and pose for the crowd; you still have to be able to go out there and perform better than other people who want your job.

This has been a topic on my mind alot lately, as well as many others probably with the recent Jerry Lawler fiasco.

I was relating this to the very contorversial situation with Ric Flair back in 2008. He was clearly on his way out and some people had been saying for years that he should have already retired or atleast given up performing in the ring.

Then Wrestlemania 24 rolls around and low & behold he has his best match ever IMO! And I know several people who agreed with me or atleast thought it was one of his best ever.

Then months later he is wrestling Mick Foley on TNA.

Now his situation was very different because of the whole send off & retirment angle but why should he have technically stopped?? He was still over, entertaining, & had one of the best matches of his career just months earlier.

And besides health & physical condition, those are the most important things when determining if a wrestler can & should still perform.

So I think as long as 2 conditons are met:

1.)The performer has been physically checked out, is in good health, & is not at risk in the ring.
&
2.)The performer can still perform at their respected level & can contribute in either sale of tickets or enhancing/putting over other talent.

If those two criteria are met, then I don't see any reason a veteran or older athlete couldn't perform.

Now I do feel slightly different about Jerry Lawler since he is also a commentator and I have always said I don't like WWE wasting screen time on any of the excess personality like ring announcers, commentators, referee's, etc. They don't sell and it's usually pointless and/or boring.

In the King's case it is obviously different since he is a wrestler and in-ring performer as well. But for his health & the sake of the product I just hope they don't over saturize things.

People should really do research before posting ignorant topics. Jerry Lawler isn't just some guy who stopped wrestling and went to commentating. Lawler has still been wrestling around the independent circuit for years. He's almost a regular at GOUGE in North Carolina, and he still puts on exciting matches.

Jerry Lawler's heart attack was tragic, but who the hell are you to tell him or anyone when they can or can't do what they want to do? If Jerry wants to keep wrestling, and if his body is still up to it, then by all means he can go for it. Heart attacks can happen anywhere. In fact, the fact that he's active statistically proves that he's less likely to get a heart attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back