Jerry Lawler To Wrestle Again?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
WWE’s Jerry The King Lawler cleared by doctors, returning to the ring
From the Miami Herald

According to !Bang TV! organizers, WWE Hall of Famer Jerry The King Lawler will make his first official match appearance since his heart attack when he teams with fellow WWE Hall of Famer Dory Funk Jr. on Saturday, May 25 at the !Bang! TV studio in (Central Florida) Ocala.

Lawler, 63, made a miraculous recovery thanks to doctors and paramedics at Monday Night Raw after he collapsed on Sept. 10, 2012 in Canada while doing commentary during that WWE flagship show on the USA Network.

Dory Funk Jr., feels privileged to wrestle on this historic night with his friend who has been cleared by doctors to compete again.

Doors open at 6:15 p.m. for the show titled “Support Your Troops 91, Royal Combat.” Showtime is 7 p.m.

Royal Combat will also feature Quinton Drop-Back Hitchcock, Johnny Magnum and more.

Tickets $20 Purchased Online in Advance.
Tickets $25 Purchased the day of the show.
http://www.dory-funk.com

Call Now 352-895-4658 for ticket information and training schedules with Coach Dory Funk Jr..

• To become a professional wrestler and appear on BANG TV, call 352-895-4658 for training information with Coach Funk or visit his website at http://www.dory-funk.com.

Join Dory Funk Jr. and Marti Funk on Twitter, Facebook and Youtube: http://www.dory-funk.com/bt-20.html.

A while ago I thought about going to Dory Funk's wrestling school, so I filled out some stuff online, and they keep sending me these emails.

Anyway, I was dumbfounded, as I read this email. Why? I mean, it's not like Jerry has anything to prove in the ring, and I'm sure he won't do anything to extreme if this happens, but why risk anything after the heart attack? I know Jerry Lawler has wrestling running through his veins, and I think it's safe to say he's one of the old veterans, who "can't let it go." But come on now. You just had a near death experience last year.

Any thoughts on this? Should Jerry Lawler return to the ring?

Absolutely not. 63 years old and coming off a near fatal heart attack doesn't equal wrestling in ANY capacity.

I'm all for Lawler being apart of wrestling and wanting to show that he's still got it, but it's a huge risk and liability to his career in the WWE. What if he has another episode like he did on Raw? What if he injures himself in another way? What if he injures someone else?

There's too much that can go wrong with him in the ring and for him to attempt to wrestle again is kinda ridiculous.

I wonder if the WWE approves of him returning to the ring?

It's his life and the doctors have cleared him but why bother? He must really be addicted to performing or not give a shit about his health. It's crazy to think he needs the money or the pay day is better than what he makes sitting next to Cole.

I remember that match before the heart attack thinking that he was working his ass off to the point he may be on something not natural. Who knows though? Regardless, he better not follow the act he pulled in that match from the heart attack night. But it is still his decision.

It wouldn't surprise me if WWE stepped in at the last second to pull the plug with a hasty effort. I can't imagine Vince and company staying quiet about, or not paying attention to this developing situation.

And I didn't know this, but apparently, Lawler always had plans to get back in the ring after the heart attack.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...k-cleared-to-wrestle-20130509,0,5195088.story

Maybe it happens with Dory Funk, Jr., but for the life of me I can't imagine WWE being okay with Lawler wrestling in front of their cameras.

Personally I think it is stupid for him to step back into the ring again. He has nothing to prove and hopefully if he does it nothing bad happens. There is a point you need to just say no more and walk away with your head up. I can see Jerry possibly taking a bump here of there in an interview but I think he needs to step way from actual matches. He has had a great career and he doesn't need to go down as another in ring tragedy.

He has nothing to prove and hopefully if he does it nothing bad happens.

True, that. There's nothing to prove and the fact he wants to do it shows he must really love it, which is admirable. Also, if he was spending these past happy years clogging his arteries with a lot of gook, physical activity (like engaging in a wrestling match) definitely can bring on a heart attack. Still, once the blockage is removed, he's free of that danger, as long as he changes his plaque-building ways.

At 63, he's too old for this stuff; yet some of his geriatric encounters in WWE rings involved very little physical activity. In one match, we saw him perform a drop kick (!)...... and virtually nothing else. Wrestlers know how to work without working too hard, if they choose.

He shouldn't do it anymore because of his age. But if something bad happens, it won't be the same cause as before. His arteries are clear.

For now.

I read about this a little while back. The only reason I can think of is that Lawler is simply a man who still loves wrestling and pretty much anything to do with it. He's obviously doing this simply because he wants to and believes it'll be a lot of fun.

Personally, I don't believe it makes any sense. Considering his age, Lawler is in pretty good shape. He was never a great athlete or anything but Lawler, generally speaking, has aged well and kept himself in nearly the same level of physical condition. However, Lawler had a heart attack after a match that aired live in front of millions of viewers. If Lawler was someone who didn't have anything else going for him and needed the money, then I could at least understand that even if I didn't personally condone it. The problem, however, is that he has other things going on and doesn't need the money.

I respect Lawler's love & passion for wrestling, always have. When you have a heart attack, it's a legit game changer. It's not like tearing a muscle or breaking a bone. Such injuries are bad enough but a heart attack is on an altogether different level. What happened to Lawler on Raw was something that I've expected to happen for some time. We've seen so many of these much older wrestlers that are far, far past their prime wrestle on major wrestling TV programs and ppvs the past several years and I knew that something terrible was going to wind up happening to at least one of them at some point if they didn't hang up the boots.

If WWE is able to exercise some sort of contractual power over Lawler to keep him from wrestling then, honestly, maybe they should do so for the man's own good. It might piss him off royally, maybe even to the point that he decides to quit. Still, the WWE brass can say that they tried to watch out for his well being, if nothing else.

I don't know if he'll wrestle for WWE again but I'm sure he'll wrestle for Memphis again. Although the most appropriate last match for him would be for WWE in Memphis.

He can do what he wants, but God if I had a heart attack like that on national tv I think I would hang up the boots. He has nothing left to prove. I am sure he loves to wrestle, but I think it is best for all involved if he would just stick to commentary.

Absolutely not. 63 years old and coming off a near fatal heart attack doesn't equal wrestling in ANY capacity.

I'm all for Lawler being apart of wrestling and wanting to show that he's still got it, but it's a huge risk and liability to his career in the WWE. What if he has another episode like he did on Raw? What if he injures himself in another way? What if he injures someone else?

There's too much that can go wrong with him in the ring and for him to attempt to wrestle again is kinda ridiculous.

Lariat sums it up perfectly here. Why does Lawler feel the need to get back into the ring. He has had a great career, been champion about 100x in his hometown promotion, and has been a mainstay behind the desk in the WWE for a long time. He still has a great job in WWE and has just recovered from A HEART ATTACK!!! Him even considering getting into the ring again is stupid.

Bolton Wanderers had a footballer called Fabrice Muamba who suffered a cardiac arrest just like Lawler, and has made a full recovery. He has actually been given permission to play professional football again but has taken the smart decision not to do so, as why take the risk when you don't need the money.

Lawler surely must be a wealthy man, and he is in his 60s. Why risk another heart problem by being slammed around in a wrestling match infront of a tiny crowd? I just don't understand this. It isn't like he never gets the respect from a large crowd, they applaud him every week when he walks to the desk on RAW, this is stupid.

I feel sorry for the guy who has to wrestle Lawler, as throughout the whole match all he will be thinking about is whether Jerry is going to collapse again. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SAKE KING...GIVE IT UP (in JR's voice)

If I were to change the name of the thread to 'Ric Flair to marry again', the reasons would be the same' Lawler just can't help it. I ain't justifying it, but its just how much he wants to be doing what he loves doing.

I am not adverse to him being in a tag match like once, twice a year, or some silly squash; I think he will be more cautious in what he does in the ring, and after what happened well he should have the wherewithal to make sure EMTs are around.

The difference between Muamba and Lawler is huge - the former a 23 year old man who had a sudden and unexplained heart attack and Lawler, an older, overweight man whose father died of the same having a heart attack. Muamba was not offically cleared for return, indeed he got conflicting messages. A football match is 90 minutes of pure cardio, he can't get someone else to do the bulk of the work and becoming a "super sub" isn't realistic. Insurance also would have come into play along with whether a club would sign him for money close to what he was making, all told those factors led to Muamba retiring as even in his short career he had made good money, not enough as he would, but at least insurance would cover the rest of that contract he was on, so he's not gonna be poor.

Jerry's situation is far different in that a wrestling match can be 2 minutes of "fake" physical activity, predetermined to ensure minimal risk. Those slating him need to remember that men in far worse physical condition have wrestled main event matches for the WWE. Andre the Giant had no business in the ring at Mania 3 and beyond, but developed a way he could participate with his "self rope tie" and quick count out defeats or The Colossal Connection, sure it wasn't the Andre we knew and loved but he managed 3 years more in the ring than he should have had by adapting. Someone like William Regal, who had his heart stopped continued to wrestle for many years afterwards despite the risks, he paced himself and made sure to choose his spots. Gypsy Joe, Lou Thesz, Adrian Street all wrestled matches in their 70's...

Lawler will wrestle in Memphis because it's HIS company, he can structure the matches he is in so he is protected. And will probably be in a lot of 6 man tags where he can spend 95% of the match on the apron and come in to score the pinfall with a crown shot. The crowd go home happy and he has a modicum higher risk than sitting at ringside. He's not going to wrestle in the WWE again because however small the risk might be, they never want anyone to die in the ring on their TV. Particularly someone who is older and has history. They probably don't like the idea of Jerry wrestling in his own territory but can't stop him, much as they couldn't stop Ric Flair from wrestling after Shawn... or a younger talent from drink/drug driving... There will always be crowds who will pay to see Lawler in the ring, even if it's to throw 2 punches and if he can do so safely then why not?

This is insane! Some of these guys just need to learn when to quit. Just based off his age Lawler shouldn't being wrestling. But after a heart attack? He's putting his life on the line just to wrestle.

I don't know why he wants to wrestle again. He had a great career, was a numerous champion. He is a hall of famer, He has got great job announcing for the WWE. He should have enough money to retire. After that close call couple month's ago, he should not come back to wrestle. Jerry, Just be a commentator.

I still don't wanna see/hear him wrestle but if the docs clear him then what can we do about it? Wrestlers are like this when it comes to walking away. Hope he takes it easy on himself

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back