Sheamus's Future - Discussion Thread

It's far too early to be able to answer the question of "who passed the torch to Sheamus?" because no one has passed the torch to him. Cena is the face of the federation.... if he passed the torch to Sheamus, that would mean Sheamus is now the face of WWE. Is he? Nope. He's not, so no torch passing has happened. What Cena did at TLC was put Sheamus over, that's it. Assuming that for some reason, Sheamus were to become the face of the federation in the future.... His victory over Cena at TLC in 2009 would still not count as Cena passing the torch because that was just a shocking victory, Sheamus didn't become the face of WWE that night, all he became was a fluke champion. The only way that Cena will ever become known as "the guy who passed the torch to Sheamus" would be if he put Sheamus over AND stopped being the face of WWE. That hasn't even happened, and I doubt it ever will.

Im not too sure if most the members and users of this site or mostly from a merica or not but i think my next point may be interesting to some of you. I fully believe that from watching sheamus on raw the past few months that he is developing into somewhat of a star. nickbo3 or whatever, did you not enjoy his "put you on the shelf for good" line to edge the night after the rumble? I thought it was awesome but here is where i feel the nationality of the fans are important. To me from NORTHERN Ireland which means i am in no way bias towards sheamus, if anything in our twisted county i would be expected to automatcially dislike but bs aside, i thought his mic work with edger that night was quality. However to americans, many the fans seem to think anybody with an odd accent cant possibly be taken seriously and only those with cool sounding or regular accents can surivive. i am well aware that sheamus still has a long long way to go before he could even be considered a star but i do think that from the moment he opens his mouth too many americans think he should be in an angle with hornswoggle than any mid to main eventer. just a thought. other examples of this would be AY Styles never succeeding in wwe cuz of corny southern accent, im sure there have been countles others but none come to mind. kinda makes my whole argument suck here but i still think i got a point. wooah

Shaemus is rookie that way--he needs to speak clearer or louder and slower with emphasis--same with Aj--he can cut a profile but it is too fast----remeber Christian--they were slow and relaxed--even the Dudleys know how to do it--all the guys from WWE know how to milk reactions and take their time--AJ could be a total package if he would just slow down to emphasize the strength of his words and relax

Just because he does the razor's edge doesn't mean he has all his moves.

No pop. I hear a reaction when he hits the ring. You watching Raw on mute?

He's a decent heel and he actually gives a good beatdown. He's experienced (As i said before has over 8 years of experience) and is a lot better than batista imo.
When batista was "Deacon Batista" did anyone think he'd be main event now? People are quick to criticize and judge but give it a few years and sheamus will be up there.

There have been a lot of negative feelings on Shaemus for the past few months. I've heard that he's too bland... that his World Title run came off too weak.. and that now that his title run is over, his immediate future will probably result in a "future endeavors" letter.

Now, I won't say that I'm a fan of Shaemus. I think his title run was boring and that his character is overdone. I don't see much potential in Shaemus.

But most everything I think of Shaemus and his title run are the same things I thought when CM Punk had his first title run. So I've been wrong before.

Does anyone else see the similarities between the early build up for both characters? Does anyone see the potential that Shaemus could one day be as entertaining as CM Punk has become?

Now at first, I was skeptical of Sheamus and his ability to be over in the WWE. First impressoin of his title reign, thank you Triple H. It's no secret, or shouldn't be, that the main reason Sheamus got the title was due to his relationship with Triple H. If you don't think so, that's fine, I just want to know where you keep your head buried.

Now you have Sheamus seemingly in a one on one match at Wrestlemania in his first year with the company, against Triple H. It's clear that Sheamus has powerful allies backstage. However, I am not going to fault this on Sheamus. Dude can't help that powerful people like him.

Was I against his title reign, of course. Dude deserves a chance though. He's a legit 6'6, 260 lb. plus guy. He has a unique look about him, and I think he's pretty decent on the mic. I enjoy watching him in the ring, and think that he has the potential of being a legit monster heel in the WWE for years to come. If Triple H makes Sheamus look good at Mania (Wins and Losses don't matter people), it will do wonders for him.

Sheamus has a bright future ahead of him, despite of who he is affiliated with backstage. As others have said, all we read about is the bitching and moaning that the WWE Title is nothing but Cena/Orton/Triple H, and then we get someone new and the bitchfest begins.

Wow, this thread is awful. But in hopes of avoiding a spam infraction, I'll play along.

Lots of people have awful or underwhelming first title reigns. This isn't basis for a direct comparison between Punk and Sheamus.

Punk was mega over when his title reign began and he had potential to be seen as a legit champion. However, his heat was sacrificed by making his first defense come against a more over face, Batista. ******ed booking killed Punk's potential to be seen as a great top face. Sheamus never had that problem. Rather, he was given the belt to help him get interest and heat from the people. Punk never had that issue going into his first title reign. Your comparison, thus, is shit.

Other "great" champions with weak first reigns: Edge, Rock, Flair, Triple H, Undertaker. Why did you not talk about them but go out of your way to talk shit about Punk? Explain this to me.

honestly if the torch gets passed to seamus i for 1 will never ever watch wwe again. that would insult the entire business for sure. the only thing i seen him do on raw so far is kick people in the head, hell i seen more of that then him wrestle. he is just a trend that will be soon to pass like the great kahli he won the title and you don't even see him that much anymore and in wwe everything repeats itself.

i for one do se a remarkably close similarity but remember great kahli he had a huge build up and won the world title, then had the kiss cam,then... i have no idea. seamus is gonna be just like that he is the most undeserving champion ever, i didn't know that being triple h's work out partner was a job description to win the world title, which is very dissapointing

I gave you a negative rep. Sheamus's immediate future isn't going to play into his "future endeavors". He's HHH's workout partner. He's going to be main eventing Wrestlemania one day with McIntyre (Vince's golden boy), guaranteed. Punk's first run wasn't really going anywhere though. I think that is also the fact that he wasn't even in the match where he lost it. I thought it was alright, I've definitely seen worse runs. I even liked Sheamus's run. Plus their build ups are totally different. Punk won the ECW title and the MITB before his first reign, which came about 2 years after he debuted in the E. Sheamus got it months after he joined, with hardly any build up into the main event. He beat jobbers and won a battle royal, then got the title in possibly the biggest shocker in '09. Punk's character was more of a "I'll keep fighting until the end" character, where as Sheamus is more of a "I'll beat the shit out of you" character. Hardly any similarities.

god you all are some hating little wrestling dorks. what if sheamus was the miz's or punk's or dibiasie or swagger's or whoever non big name young guy you idiots think should be a champ or main eventer's workout partner there would be no problem. but since he is hhh's buddy then oh my god sheamus sucks. really.. ya'll hate on hhh for smashing steph and all his friends are crap. i happen to like sheamus his acting/mic skills are good.alot better than dibiasie, he is a big tough ass kicking Mick with a good look and not a leprechaun and shramrock generic mick(finlay) the should have had him pin at least kofi, orton at the rumble or even cena once. i see nothing comparable to cm punk except wwe not giving them good wins. also i think sheamus should start some sort of IRA tie in to his gimmick. name the razors edge the irish car bomb.

Punk was way over before he held the world title, Shemus however was not, the significance in your argument is vary slim at best.

Punk's reign was made weak due to the amount of talent he faced, he looked weak against batista, Cena among others, there was no reason that his reign should have been booked that way, as X stated thus far Punks reign was destroyed because the booking comitte on Raw had no idea what to do with him and thus nearly killed Punks credibility as champion.

Shemus however had held the WWE title to help establish him as a credible heel and it work until the elimination chamberwhere he needed to retain to help establish his dominance further, also his very weak performance against born didnt help matters.

If a champion needs to be strong they need to be booked right just look at Taker when he first won the WWE championship, he won it due to interfearence from the nature boy ric flair who was establishing himself as top heel in the WWE, the title was then held up and taker never saw the belt again until wrestlemania 13, was that because taker was a terrible wrestler?, no it was not it was because the company had other feuds that took presidence over the big strong heel that taker was at the time and used the belt to establish him as a big heel, but when flair jumped ship the WWE changed its plans and booked flair to win the belt at the rumble, that whole mess left taker in a midcard spot for years until vince finally pulled the trigger on the deadman once more.

Dont count shemus out, If his feud with HHH holds weight hopefully he will gain back some of that momentum he lost from being beat in the chamber, and as for your Punk comparisson well im sorry but you really need to check your history before you start putting down one of the best workers the WWE has mate.

Sheamus in my opinion could be the future bad ass powerhouse of the company. From the moment he beat cena for the title I was completely sure he was going to have a title rain that would last quite awhile. I've got to assume the reason behind him losing the title was that WWE didn't believe he would draw at wrestlemania. One arguement would be that if he retained his title at mania against hhh he would COMPLETELY solidify his spot in the main event. But I guess creative believes he can get put over by hhh without the title, ya okay we will see how that goes. All in all I believe sheamus can become a vital asset to WWE if they could fir gods sake train him on the mic. No offence to any Irish readers but he has way too much of an accent! Level it down a bit and let's all enjoy seeing him take off and be a juggernaut for the company

Wow. I think Big Fan needs to learn to read ... fortunately I don't care too much about rep points on here.

Very little of my OP actually stated my own opinion. In fact, it said "I've heard that he's too bland... that his World Title run came off too weak.. and that now that his title run is over, his immediate future will probably result in a "future endeavors" letter."

...no where in there does it say, "I think his immediate future will result in a "future endeavors" letter."

All that said, I do see a ton of similarity in Shaemus and Punk. Punk was over - but he wasn't over in a World Title way. In my opinion, Punk was only over because the IWC demanded that someone new be entered into the WC picture and the IWC typically drools over former ROH wrestlers. But to the mass WWE audience, Punk was just average. His interviews were blah and his style was awkward. I'd say that when Punk lost his first world title, he was actually weaker than before he won it.

I see Shaemus in a similar light. His interviews are blah. His style is very ordinary. And I think he actually looked weaker at the end of his WC run than he did at the beginning. As a previous poster said, "I see no similarities between Punk and Shaemus ... other than how they were booked!" ... Well dude, WTF do you think I was talking about? Their characters are obviously different - their style is different - the whole point of this thread is to compare how they've been booked.

Since no one on these boards has EVER been wrong about a guy - is anyone willing to go on a limb and say they see Shaemus turning it around to become a very entertaining component to the Raw brand as Punk has gone on to do with the Smackdown brand?

Reactions: Lee
What I don't understand about sheamus is how every time a thread is made on one of these sites it always IMMEDIATLY turns into how Sheamus only got a title push because he is HHH's workout partner and is the most undeserving champion in WWE history. How do we know who is "deserving". Nobody here is backstage, nobody here is watching these guys work on there mat-work ect. , and from reports Sheamus is hands down one of the most hard working people in the WWE right now. How is that overlooked over and over again? Why is it that people claim he dosen't deserve any of this , yet forget to metion (basing this off the wrestlezone report) He tried wrestling the night after reciving a concussion in the elimination chamber, or that multiple sources have credited him as one guys who puts the most time in behind the scenes to perfect this craft. The guy is absoultly giving his life right now to make sure his push goes right, He is working his butt off and getting noticed. Each person is pushed differently, and maybe the his work ethic has impressed more than just HHH backstage. The guy is obviously one hell of a hard worker, nobody has denied that.

His first title reign was sub-par, it was lackluster and I feel was hurt by the lack of clean wins he got during it. I think that during his reign though he really , really proved how devoted he is to improving. His Mic skills, and in-ring performance did have a notable improvment from his first match to the last match. I think by elmination chamber he was really starting to get chemistry with some of the guys he was wrestling, and I do think like Punk did he will turn around from a lack-luster first title reign and turn into one hell of a heel, and probably the future face of the WWE. The guy has potential, and the work ethic to capitalize on that potential.

It seems though that he'll be going against Triple H this wrestlemania which ultimately is seen as the passing of the Badass heel torch coz it seems that Triple H is near the end of his career and I don't really see a heel turn at the near future so this coming feud w/ Triple H might determine if this guy is the next badass heel. I mean if you're a new heel in the buisness who better to put you over than one of the baddest heels of all time: Triple H.

Thoughts?
I would really appreciate those who would comment. :D

No I do not think he will be the next badass heel.

1. If he beats Triple H it won't make him badass.
2. He won't be a better heel than Orton, ever.
3. This guy has already succeeded as a monster heel not a badass heel.
4. I have never found him to be badass.
5. If he wants to be a great heel, he not only has to beat Triple H. He has to take him out of action for some time.
Bottom line is he will probably fail because he really gets little reaction without the belt so he IMO won't be the next badass heel.

Yea I have to agree that the only heel heat he receives is the children awstruck by his skin colour ,and those that join in a "you suck" chorus.

If he was made to Book like hes a high threat, and could back that up on the mic without sounding deftone then people could maybe take him seriously.

With all that and how long hes been in the company he shouldnt be getting any real heat as it is,and people shouldnt expect him to be more vile ,angry or aggresive then the likes of Orton ,the straight edge society ,Batista or Big Zeke.

I really don't see Sheamus being much of anything to be honest. I don't get why the guy has gotten such a push. He has no personality, his ring skills are marginal at best. The first time you see him, he's mildly interesting, but then he opens his mouth, and there's just nothing there. He'll probably keep getting pushed, because he does have a good look, but I don't think he'll ever catch on with the audience, and I don't think he'll ever be taken seriously.

BTW, why did he steal the Razor's Edge for his finisher? Why not just use that big kick? It's much more impressive and destructive.

So, Sheamus could end up being a pretty decent heel. As stated, he's already the "monster heel" and not so much the bad ass heel. I do want to point one thing out though. He's Irish so that means his skin color is transparent right? I've always said that the clothes a wrestler wears when he cuts promos, does run ins don't contribute to how they are perceived. Mr. Clear Skin looks really, really strange every time he runs to the ring in his little tights and giant cross. He needs to be in street clothes more often. Again, I don't think that it would MAKE sheamus anything different, but having HHH in the leather jacket and jean vest makes him look like some bad ass dude that you don't want to mess with on the street. Sheamus just looks odd with his SUPER pale skin and always in tights. I honestly think that would make him seem more bad ass. That and put a manager on him or get him a stable. While he's good, he's DEF not good enough to stand on his own. Sheamus/Cena, Cena wins hands down with personality. Sheamus/HHH...again, much of the same.

So in short, he has the heat, charisma, etc but it's the details that Vince needs to put into this.

Sheamus sucks & WWE suckered ppl into liking him by using their hate for Cena, soon ppl will hate Sheamus who are on him now like the rest of us hate him because HHH is the only reason he got that undeserved untraditional push and it did nothing for the business nor was it meaningful just a big black hole in the record books

Dont drink the Sheamus Juice

Dont be fooled because they are gonna push him till you cant stand him unless you are like me and you cant already

This guy is nothing special. McIntyre has the better push

Sheamus will never be a great badass heel and HHH is taking time off, if Sheamus "puts him out too" I wont care, he still sucks ass and is boring as hell

BTW, why did he steal the Razor's Edge for his finisher? Why not just use that big kick? It's much more impressive and destructive.

Why is it that when someone uses a move that has been used previously, its automatically deemed as stolen? Ok, so Sheamus is using what was once called the Razor's Edge, and is calling it the Celtic Cross. I mean, how many people have used a Power Bomb? Does that mean it has been stolen like 9 times over?

There are only so many moves available, so some are bound to be repeated. I guess by this logic, even the Undertaker stole a move too. His Last Ride is a modified Power Bomb.

And if Sheamus were to use the Big Boot, as you feel is more suitable (I'm not saying it is or isn't), then it would have just been stolen from Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Test, etc. etc.

I think if Sheamus has a good match with HHH at 'Mania, then perhaps he will garner some more respect from the live crowds, and the IWC. Most of the complaints I have heard about the guy was how soon he got the title. If memory serves me, the Rock also had the same criticisms albeit with a lesser title. But my point is, instead of jumping down the guys throat, give him an unbiased chance, and maybe he will surprise people.

Here's my thing with Sheamus.... when this guy came in last summer, he got my attention. Here was something different for once. I thought he was very unique and took and immediete liking to him. The first few months it seemed as they were building him to be that monster heel, and I guess that is still what they think are still trying to do right now. Anyway, on ECW this guy was crushing everyone. He came to Raw were the monster heel push continued. This is where the problem is.... he is on Raw for a few weeks, he kills Jaime Noble which yeah everyone loves Jaime Noble, but the fact of the matter is that he wasnt used on TV for months and hadn't made any kind of impact since is Cruiserweight Champ days. Then he goes after Jerry Lawler and the bell guy..... big deal..... Then he's the number one contender. This is where it gets worse. He beats Cena in what was booked as almost a fluke of a win and then during his entire 2 month title reign, he did not once cleanly defeat anyone or go over in a significant way in any title defense. Every single title defense was either finished with a countout, dq or run-in of some sorts. As far as I am concerned, they killed this guy already. It was a pointless push which did nothing for him or anyone who worked with him. The only thing he got out of it was a Mania match with HHH and he had to lose the belt to do that. They made this guy out like he was going to be some monster like Brock Lesner and they just ripped the carpet out from that. IMO, they shouldve just continued to push him, keep running through everyone, keep building that momentum maybe up till the summer, then put him over in a big title feud with Cena or whoever. He would've been made. The momentum is gone, has been gone since his flop of a title win, and as far as I am concerned its going to be extremely tough for him to get that momentum going again. had this guy been booked correctly over the past couple of months, I think everyone's opinions, mine included, would be much different. And yes, badass heel were never the words to use for him.

I think Sheamus could be a badass, but he'd need a few things. First of all, he'd need a character. Not a character overhaul mind you, just a character. Let's compare:

Triple H's personality traits: He is willing to do what is necessary to win, whether he is a heel or a face. His identity rests in the world title, which usually results in him being more motivated than his opponent. He can be either funny or serious, has a bad temper, studies his opponents, is always thinking, is admittedly not a nice person deep down even is he's playing "the good guy."

Sheamus' personality traits: He's an Irish due who enjoys bullying others, usually gaining the advantage by jumping them from behind. He often kicks others in the head without provocation. See also: pale.

Obviously, Triple H has an unusually layered character by wrestling's standards, but still. If Sheamus is main-eventing, we should know more about him. What does he think of himself? Is he a narcissist, like Jericho? Is he totally focused on success, regardless of how his methods of attaining it effects others, like Edge was? Does he actually enjoy inflicting pain? In my eyes, just a catchphrase, or DEAR LORD, ANYTHING, could help him to not be so very dull.

I really honestly don't see what all the heat on Sheamus is about..

You don't see many Irishmen in the ring, (not talking Finlay, he's not pale and redheaded), but watching Sheamus fight, to me, is a treat.

I believe he could be one of the biggest badass heels since Goldberg/Stone Cold/Brock Lesnar, if he's booked properly.

If he isn't booked properly, well then he's boned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back