Sam's Thread of Chattin' w/ Jake & Other Robust Subjects

I am genuinely astonished you liked Wonder Woman that much. I was worrying that people would find my three stars overgenerous.

I'm happy to never watch another Pirates of the Carribean film as long as I live. It was tired by the second one. I suppose Davey Jones' CGI was pretty nuts.

Maybe I was just overly thankful one DC movie appeared to be an actual coherent film. Had the actions scenes been more "civil war" than "BvS" you would have had a real contender on your hands.

How did everything go so wrong after the first 45 minutes of Man of Steel ? (With the entire DCU I mean)

I enjoy POTC because I enjoy charismatic unique portrayals (The TV series Vikings says hello) lore, and time capsule stuff (calling then period films always sounds like a particularly dark corner of the fetish market)

I'm more of a Lone Ranger man, even if Johnny Depp's casting seemed entirely unnecessary.

Man of Steel is still my favourite DCEU movie, which yeah, isn't saying match. Justice League looks pants.

Solid gag. In case there's sincerity in there: I wondered if I wouldn't have enjoyed it more if I hadn't seen the first.

I was being sincere. I haven't seen the original since college and have only the most basic understanding of how the world of Blade Runner works (there are robots that don't know that they're robots and sometimes they realize they're robots and start to rebel and when that happens a special cop called a Blade Runner has to hunt them down), and I had no trouble understanding the plot of 2049.

I was being sincere. I haven't seen the original since college and have only the most basic understanding of how the world of Blade Runner works (there are robots that don't know that they're robots and sometimes they realize they're robots and start to rebel and when that happens a special cop called a Blade Runner has to hunt them down), and I had no trouble understanding the plot of 2049.

You should write plot synopses on IMDb.

Actually, the rebelliousness of the replicants isn't down to self-awareness: all the replicants in the Blade Runner universe are aware they're replicants since birth, with two notable exceptions (or one, depending on the cut you're watching). I'd apologise for being pedantic but we're talking about the plot of Blade Runner, what did you expect?

1. Baby Driver ★★★★★
  2. Okja ★★★★★
  3. The Handmaiden: Director's Cut ★★★★
  4. Moonlight ★★★★
  5. Free Fire ★★★★
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ★★★★
  7. Colossal ★★★
  8. Get Out ★★★
  9. My Life As a Courgette ★★★
  10. Split ★★★
  11. The Big Sick ★★★
  12. War for the Planet of the Apes ★★★
  13. The Lego Batman Movie ★★★
  14. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  15. Jackie ★★★
  16. Hidden Figures ★★★
  17. Spider-Man Homecoming ★★★
  18. It ★★★
  19. Blade Runner 2049 ★★★
  20. Dunkirk ★★★
  21. Logan ★★★
  22. Death Note ★★★
  23. Lady Macbeth ★★★
  24. Wonder Woman ★★★
  25. Fate of the Furious ★★
  26. Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets ★★
  27. Shin Godzilla ★★
  28. Manchester by the Sea ★★
  29. La La Land ★★
  30. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  31. Mindhorn ★★
  32. Their Finest ★★
  33. Kong: Skull Island ★★
  34. Alien: Covenant ★
  35. John Wick: Chapter 2 ★
  36. Kingsman: The Golden Circle ★

That took a few more turns than I was expecting. Whew.

Beauty and The Beast - Jesus CHRIST that was a lot of fucking singing. Not as immersive as the original. The dance/ go to your father segment was solid. C+

Daddy's Home- seemed like it should have been funnier. Still decent. Entirely unmalignant franchise begun. C

I'm not going to lie, I had to look up what Daddy's Home was. Then I did, it's five seconds later and I'm not sure I remember.

It's the franchise that is helping Mel Gibson launch his mainstream comeback.

Harvey Weinstein must be counting down the days until his decade of shame is up.

1. Baby Driver ★★★★★
  2. Okja ★★★★★
  3. The Death of Stalin ★★★★
  4. The Handmaiden: Director's Cut ★★★★
  5. Moonlight ★★★★
  6. Free Fire ★★★★
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ★★★★
  8. Colossal ★★★
  9. Get Out ★★★
  10. My Life As a Courgette ★★★
  11. Split ★★★
  12. The Big Sick ★★★
  13. War for the Planet of the Apes ★★★
  14. The Lego Batman Movie ★★★
  15. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  16. Jackie ★★★
  17. Hidden Figures ★★★
  18. Spider-Man Homecoming ★★★
  19. It ★★★
  20. Blade Runner 2049 ★★★
  21. Dunkirk ★★★
  22. Logan ★★★
  23. Death Note ★★★
  24. Lady Macbeth ★★★
  25. Wonder Woman ★★★
  26. Fate of the Furious ★★
  27. Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets ★★
  28. Shin Godzilla ★★
  29. Manchester by the Sea ★★
  30. La La Land ★★
  31. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  32. Mindhorn ★★
  33. Their Finest ★★
  34. Kong: Skull Island ★★
  35. Alien: Covenant ★
  36. John Wick: Chapter 2 ★
  37. Kingsman: The Golden Circle ★

It had three moments in it that provoked genuine laughter, which is way above average. It also didn't contradict what I learned about Communist Russia at A-level, so the historical accuracy must be pinpoint. Now all I need is a prequel set during the Bolshevik Revolution with Kelsey Grammer as Lenin. Maybe David Hyde Pierce can be Trotsky and we can do a Frasier reunion.

I'm seeing The Death of Stalin immediately before the horror movie all nighter I'm going to begins. You can expect 2 stars off me.

1. Baby Driver ★★★★★
  2. Okja ★★★★★
  3. The Death of Stalin ★★★★
  4. The Handmaiden: Director's Cut ★★★★
  5. Moonlight ★★★★
  6. Free Fire ★★★★
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ★★★★
  8. Colossal ★★★
  9. Get Out ★★★
  10. My Life As a Courgette ★★★
  11. Thor Ragnarok ★★★
  12. Split ★★★
  13. The Big Sick ★★★
  14. War for the Planet of the Apes ★★★
  15. The Lego Batman Movie ★★★
  16. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  17. Jackie ★★★
  18. Hidden Figures ★★★
  19. Spider-Man Homecoming ★★★
  20. It ★★★
  21. Blade Runner 2049 ★★★
  22. Dunkirk ★★★
  23. Logan ★★★
  24. Death Note ★★★
  25. Lady Macbeth ★★★
  26. Wonder Woman ★★★
  27. Fate of the Furious ★★
  28. Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets ★★
  29. Shin Godzilla ★★
  30. Manchester by the Sea ★★
  31. La La Land ★★
  32. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  33. Mindhorn ★★
  34. Their Finest ★★
  35. Kong: Skull Island ★★
  36. Alien: Covenant ★
  37. John Wick: Chapter 2 ★
  38. Kingsman: The Golden Circle ★

As with Hunt for the Wilderpeople, I felt like the people making the movie were having way more fun than I was watching it. The difference between the Taika Waititi stuff - endearing if slapdash - and the Marvel-mandated stuff - holy shit, how are they still so bad at villains? - is enough to give you whiplash.

Aren't you the two knobs that think Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker is overrated?

I'm starting to think your credentials on villainy are lacking. I bet you've never even tried to kidnap a princess or ineptly attempt to blow up a bird.

Important question though: why is Thor out in the UK before the US? This is America dammit, I want it now.

Marvel villains are like The Joker in the final 45 minutes of The Dark Knight. They're forgotten about.

You get the latest Disney animation before us by several months, it only seems fair.

I was just busting chops. I do love me some Cate Blanchett, but I wouldn't be surprised if her role is neutered.

Idk if I agree with your assessment about Marvel villains. I thought the GotG villains were very good and I really liked The Vulture in Spider-Man homecoming. But I guess that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back