Rumor: TNA, Lagana Interested in ROH Stars Richards, Strong and Edwards?

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
This from TNAInsider via The Wrestling Observer:

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter is reporting that TNA has expressed some interest in signing Ring of Honor stars Davey Richards, Roderick Strong and Eddie Edwards since they are open to bringing in new faces and Dave Lagana worked with all of them when he was doing ROH creative.

--

Yup, the same "who is even in TNA" Davey Richards who took a shot at the company not a few weeks ago. Strong we've seen in TNA on occasion over the last few years already, and I know essentially nothing about Eddie Edwards, admittedly.

An interest in all three does beg the questions though as to whether or not the interest is in bringing them in together, perhaps as some type of Shield/Radicalz deal, and especially with where these men fit in individually, or if they're expected to be used in more defined roles. Edwards and Richards, for example, are a tag team (American Wolves), so is the interest there in trying to get some fire going in the division again by introducing new teams? Is Strong an X Division injection again?

Thoughts on all this?

TNA- despite recent financial issues- has one thing going for them that ROH can't provide. They can put your ass in front of one million people, every week. If you aren't going to the WWE (please, board, let's not pretend where money is and isn't in professional wrestling), TNA remains the next best place for television exposure. And if they're allowing their talent to perform for other companies now?

TNA is starting to look like a decent place to go to boost your indy check, like it was a few years ago. That's a Good Thing for where they are right now; they aren't nearly (and never have been) a large enough company to demand exclusivity from their mid-level performers.

TNA's roster is in need of 're-shuffling', and I don't mean by handing out pink slips left and right. Just like always, but especially now, you need some new blood in there to provide something different. Some unknown quantity. Have them come in and drop a pipe bomb promo about how TNA sucks. It's softball material that'll get people talking. It could be the successful version of Aces and Eights, where the "outsiders from another company" come in and actually win matches.

People still want to root for AJ Styles, Bobby Roode, James Storm, Kurt Angle, Sting, and all their favorites- give them some threatening antagonists!!!

How often do people hear me talking up anything TNA's doing these days? A big talent raid on ROH could pay off well if they don't fuck up the writing.

During his Highspots interview Roderick Strong said it's WWE or nowhere. It's the same as The Briscoes, after years of working for ROH if you think their getting paid a measly couple hundred dollars for these appearances then you're an idiot. As Kevin Steen has noted previously, he has friends in TNA he knows hes making more money than working for ROH. I hope Kenny King makes good money working for Chippendales.

In all honesty, none of them are worth signing. Strong is dull. Davey is talented but seems like a problem. Edwards is okay.

If TNA is going for some ROH talent,shoot for the moon and get Adam Cole and Michael Elgin.

With TNA releasing a lot of the dead weight on the roster over the last couple of months, Now would seem like the ideal time to bring in some fresh faces to help restore both the Tag Team and X division. Sure TNA should have started bringing in guys like this a few years ago when people like Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins and El Generico were plying their trade on the Indy scene, But Richards, Edwards and Strong are still three of the best wrestlers on the Indy Scene at the moment and would produce some very entertaining matches with many of the current TNA roster.

While it would be interesting to me to see all three in TNA, idk if they would really come over. They all would make great TV or X division champs, and the Wolves would make great foes for Bad Influence. But they only have so much charisma, with Davey lacking significantly. I don't really think they would get much from the crowd.

I've seen Davey in person.

[youtube]cPaIbjyOpRk[/youtube]

I was under the hard camera. I'll be honest. How am I supposed to take the guy seriously as some tough guy when Melina can look down on him? He did not impress me in the slightest. His offense was generic, he was dull on the mic and was quite frankly a dick after the show. I saw more out of Shelton Benjamin that night than I did out of Richards, who quite frankly sounds like a moron after his recent "Who's in TNA" rant.

Who's in TNA? Well what the fuck is ROH?

During his Highspots interview Roderick Strong said it's WWE or nowhere. It's the same as The Briscoes, after years of working for ROH if you think their getting paid a measly couple hundred dollars for these appearances then you're an idiot. As Kevin Steen has noted previously, he has friends in TNA he knows hes making more money than working for ROH. I hope Kenny King makes good money working for Chippendales.
Good for them. Meanwhile Steen's friends get more exposure on international TV. Which means a far longer investment in the future for indie bookings. If they truly believe they're gonna be swept up and be given the CM Punk/Daniel Bryan treatment, they are being very deluded.

Is it wrong that they wanna stay in ROH? Not at all. Loyalty is a rarity. But what they say sounds more like delusions of grandeur than anything else.

"horrifically shitty wrestling promotion interested in the best indie workers available"

NO WAY MAN, BREAKING NEWS

Of course they are interested in them. TNA = shit, those guys (from what I understand) = good.

Shit + good = eh, decent.

Hopefuly they sign them

Not going to reply to Killjoy because I don't acknowledge stupidity that much.

Earlier Dave made mention of TNA taking an interest in The American Wolves, Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards plus Roderick Strong, a trio most known for their tenures in Ring of Honor as World Champions. I found this interesting as it is yet another rumor surrounding Richards and Edwards who at this point seem to be the most sought after talents outside WWE. But do TNA have an actual chance? Well I've taken a look into some details surrounding Davey and Eddie, exempting Roderick for the moment.

What do Davey and Eddie gain from signing for TNA? They get more exposure. It needs to be stated, not that much exposure but national television is national television. They'll have the opportunity to perform in-front of bigger crowds. Like the exposure, the crowds aren't that bigger. ROH can run in the NYC area and draw a larger crowd than TNA, lets not forget TNA's previous two NYC shows have drawn under 1,000, while ROH consistently sell-out the Hammerstein Ballroom with ease. I expect nothing less from Final Battle next month mind you. And possibly more money. I say possibly because there is no guarantee.

Davey Richards is one of the highest paid ROH performers going. Beneath Steen nobody is making more money and that's not including how much Kevin gets out of merch which is a lot by the way, guy is a great salesman for his own brand. Davey is working pay-per-appearance for ROH right now and I've been told that has only increased how much he is being paid. Davey could be making anywhere between $500 - 600 a show. Take into consideration that ROH has ran two shows this month and are running two this weekend with Davey booked on all. He's making good money.

Eddie Edwards is different. While Eddie doesn't command the same money deal from ROH he does more independent bookings than Richards does. Eddie is a regular on the lower indies and does it more-so for fun and less for the money. Having spoken to Eddie recently at a show in Ralegh, NC he's living solely off his wrestling career which is a lot more than a lot of independent wrestlers can say. I'd go as far as to say if you're not working for ROH you're working either double the indie dates or a part-time job.

Back to Richards before I forget, he also works part-time as a paramedic in St. Louis, as well as a personal trainer for a local gym. He's also engaged to a chiropractor who has done work for the UFC. Davey doesn't need money. I'd say Davey makes more a week than the average full time employed male. Edwards could be a different story but back to the subject at hand, how much would it take for TNA to pry The Wolves from their home?

Well first of all, ROH have put contracts on the table. And I'm being told their not just any normal contract, Sinclair has been involved which could mean the money being offered is above what a talent is traditionally offered. ROH is planning on running even more dates next year. 2013 has been one of the busier years for the company and Sinclair's plan for expansion sees the company going into even more areas in the next year, possibly out west or even further south. The Texas show from the summer is a perfect example that ROH can draw in that region. So if Davey and Eddie were to sign new contracts they can continue taking their indie bookings while working for ROH as two of the top paid guys.

TNA has the money, but restrictions are now in place. The brain behind the idea is Dave Lagana who worked for ROH as head of creative and a production assistant during their time on HDNet. Lagana is big fans of The American Wolves and has been telling people in the company for years to bring them in. The problem in TNA is they don't acknowledge proper talent unless they've worked for WWE. The perfect example of this is Kazuchika Okada, the current IWGP Heavyweight Champion who TNA were gifted a few years ago but was wasted due to an insubordinate creative with little clue of what to do with him. He later went back to NJPW and has sold out house after house with minimal issue.

For Davey and Eddie, signing for TNA would be a gamble. Their not guaranteed good money, especially considering they'll most probably be offered pay-per-appearance deals which the majority of the roster is on. The money TNA will offer them won't be as good as what their getting in ROH, unless Lagana can convince people backstage just how important the two could become. And their not guaranteed they'll be used correctly. Not to mention they have close friends who can offer them advice, Nigel McGuinness being one who was very vocal in his documentary about how the differences between working for TNA and ROH are minimal and that TNA didn't benefit his name or career.

As of now The American Wolves are still under WWE's radar, because of this TNA has taken notice like they have in the past. Before Bryan and Nigel signed for WWE, TNA contacted both and told them if it didn't work out they had jobs there. The only reason Nigel accepted was because ROH gave him such a good send off. Same reason why when Bryan was released in 2010 he didn't go back and opted to work for DGUSA and Evolve instead. So if WWE don't come calling TNA is a second option, but not the only one. They can continue helping ROH grow and expand in-front of an audience familiar with them and their styles while making good money or go to TNA for a possible money increase, with more exposure in-front of slightly (I'm being realistic here) bigger live audience in certain regions of the country. They've no guarantees on how creative will use them or that they will remain as a team.

I should note that in this weeks Newswire, ROH mentioned that news is coming on The Wolves soon. Whether it's news that their staying or going is yet to be seen, but by the conclusion of the year it is plausible that The American Wolves are no longer working for ROH.

Bryan Alvarez's intelligent perspective on the situation. Honestly, as long as they work for WWE or ROH I could care less, but considering I don't watch TNA anymore I just want them to work for someone other than the show with wrestling in the name that features very little actual wrestling. Like buying a Dairy Milk Chocolate bar but not getting any chocolate.

What do TNA gain from signing any of these? I used to watch ROH a few years ago (when Austin Aries was Champion) and from what I saw I wouldn't say there is much value for TNA in bringing in any of these guys. They are all bog standard wrestlers who have nothing special or unique about them. Now I'm all for bringing in new talent as long as they improve what the company already has but I don't see how Roderick Strong, Davey Richards or Eddie Edwards improve what TNA already have. Sure TNA could do with some new tag teams as Bad Influence and The BroMans are the only entertaining teams they have, so The American Wolves have that going for them I suppose. But there are better teams out there, Generation Me and Natural Selection spring to mind. All in all I don't see any value for TNA in these signings, neither do I really want to see them happen.

What do Davey and Eddie gain from signing for TNA? They get more exposure. It needs to be stated, not that much exposure but national television is national television.

Who makes this stuff up? I really hope the dude who wrote that isn't a "professional" because he clearly has very little knowledge. A wrestler in TNA will gain far, far, far, far more exposure than a wrestler in ROH. TNA is shown in over a 120 countries worldwide. ROH is (I'm guessing) shown in the town where their show is filmed? Remind me again, as an Englishman, what channel can I watch ROH on?

This is a small excerpt from PWInsider's Elite second post on The American Wolves reporting to Florida for a week long WWE trial:

As we are being told neither Richards or Edwards are interested in signing for TNA. They did consider it but with TNA's pay structure they could stay in ROH and make more money. No news on Roderick Strong other than him admitting in an interview over the weekend how he'd like to face AJ Styles again someday but in the context of the question he probably mean't in an ROH ring. Roderick is still under ROH contract.

The "in front of a million people a week argument" means jack. These guys except maybe Edwards are as big as they'll get without WWE with or without TNA. The Indy/Japanese market doesn't give a shit about TV, which is their bread and butter. They won't get paid more on the indies just because they were in TNA.

This isn't a knock on TNA, but it's like this: do you want to be a big fish in a little pond or a little fish in a bigger pond? TNA swims in the shark tank of mainstream tv. It's all pro wrestling, but the markets are very different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back