Round 4; 30 God of war v 14 Super Mario Bros

?

• GOW

• SMB

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
252px-Gowbox.jpg

v

250px-Super_Mario_Bros_box.jpg

Tough choice, but you can't go against the original Super Mario Bros, its a classic. I don't care about how many Mario games are left, I'm voting Mario all the way and if there are 4 Mario games in the final 4 then so be it. GOW just didn't tickle my fancy and I'd never vote it over SMB.

Fuck this classic stuff, this is insane that just because it's the original Mario that someone people believe to this date that it's better than GoW. Just because it started the Mario series and was a hit back in 1985 doesn't mean it can automatically match up with GoW, one of the freshed hack n slash action adventures to comes along in a long time. Don't go for the Mario blind vote, vote smart

Vote Kratos.

I am going to vote for God of War in this one.

I love Mario, do not get that twisted. The thing is that I have played tit to the death. I have played that game more times than I have "played my one man game", if you know what I mean? The thing is, I like the game but I think I only like it because it is Mario. God of War, in all honesty, is one of the finest games I have played and definitely one of the most impressive ones to say the least. I just loved the game from start to finish. If I had the chance to play both of the games right now, I think I would more than likely choose to play God of War because I think I would have more fun playing it. For those reasons, I am going to vote for God of War.

Vote: God Of War

God of War has made a huge name for itself, and has risen to one of the greatest titles in the business today. While I never particularly liked it, I can't deny what it has done. Looking past that though, I'm going to vote for the original Super Mario Bros. Truly the one who started a series that is the single most identifiable franchise in the entire history of video games. Call it a "blind vote" or some bullshit like that, but I'm not going to disregard what it has done.

Legacy is a HUGE consideration in a tournament like this. When you're comparing a game that came out in the early 80s vs a game that came out relatively recently, that's just about the only criteria upon which you can judge them.

As far as legacy goes... it doesn't get any bigger than Mario. Vote: SMB.

Some people believe that Super Mario bros. is the greatest game of all time. I personally wouldn't agree with that but you can guarantee that there are not many people who have not played Super Mario Bros. It was the first computer game I ever remember seeing (Super Mario Bros. 3 would be the first I owned) and I'm going to agree with what the Nintendo Magazine says here and that they believe that this game single handily rescued the video games industry. It was so simple and had a great blend of difficulties my only gripe was the warps, I never did every level in that game until three months ago because of the cheats but hey!

The sheer enjoyment I still having playing this game is a great testamanet to it, it was released before I was even born for goodness sake, but it's sat in my lounge in my NES.

I went with God of War here, and for a very simple reason: I enjoyed it more than the original SMB. The original SMB...well, maybe I was just too old for it when I played it for the first time, but I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I did the sequels. Obviously it's the godfather of all platformers and one of the most important and influential games of all time; I just don't think it's anywhere near as good of a game as God of War is.

Sorry Mario lovers, my vote goes to God of War. I'll take the brutality of GOW over the side-scrolling boredom of the original SMB any day.

God Of War here. Who doesn't love Greek Mythology? Tied in with blood and sex? I mean that's quality mind-numbing video gaming there. SMB, for all it's history and for all it's merits, just isn't as good as as it's sequels would eventually become. It's good, and beating that final Bowser level is a bitch, but I dont think it beats God Of War.

Looking at it from a gameplay perspective, taking into account 20 years of development, God Of War is just more innovative. Besides a few different enemies and maps, not much changes throughout the whole game of SMB. I know, I know, this makes the game what it is, but the development of Kratos is so much better, instead of "THE PRINCESS IS IN ANOTHER CASTLE".

I don't care if the game was made 20 years ago or yesterday, that shit was weak.

Looking at it from a gameplay perspective, taking into account 20 years of development, God Of War is just more innovative.

Ok, this is one very hard matchup, both games deserve to go through, I couldn't care which arguments you used...but to say GOW is more innovative than the original Super Mario Bros game is just wow a bit silly. Before SMB platform games were non existent, there were a few but not really all that popular. SMB took that and made it THE genre to beat, like I have mentioned it was so innovative it pretty much rescued the video games industry....

Ok, this is one very hard matchup, both games deserve to go through, I couldn't care which arguments you used...but to say GOW is more innovative than the original Super Mario Bros game is just wow a bit silly. Before SMB platform games were non existent, there were a few but not really all that popular. SMB took that and made it THE genre to beat, like I have mentioned it was so innovative it pretty much rescued the video games industry....

Oh my bad, I meant to put SMB as the innovative one and God Of War as the less, being a hack and slasher with puzzles, not dissimilar to Prince or Persia, whereas as you said, SMB basically invented the platformer.
In the heat of the post, I got them mixed up.

However what I meant to allude to next was that SMB does not change much however, regardless. It may have innovated the genre, but it did not expand on it much in the game, whereas God of War was more varied, making it more enjoyable personally. And obviously you cant do much storywise with 8 bits. But still. Come on, I'm sure I could have written text a little better than that.

God Of War here. Who doesn't love Greek Mythology? Tied in with blood and sex? I mean that's quality mind-numbing video gaming there. SMB, for all it's history and for all it's merits, just isn't as good as as it's sequels would eventually become. It's good, and beating that final Bowser level is a bitch, but I dont think it beats God Of War.

Looking at it from a gameplay perspective, taking into account 20 years of development, God Of War is just more innovative. Besides a few different enemies and maps, not much changes throughout the whole game of SMB. I know, I know, this makes the game what it is, but the development of Kratos is so much better, instead of "THE PRINCESS IS IN ANOTHER CASTLE".

I don't care if the game was made 20 years ago or yesterday, that shit was weak.

What in the blue hell? Do you realise what you just said, you said GoW was more innovative than the legend of Super Mario Bros. How?

God of War's playing style was based on Prince of Persia, it was more a duplicate with extras of that series (and a damn shame that PoP didn't make it). GOW first appeared when the PS2 was established and the game genre that GOW "innovated" existed already! GoW is a good game, but it's done nothing but add another list of games to own on PS2, and it was outdone by it's sequel.

As Lee rightly said, Mario saved the video game industry. Without this handy plumber fixing up the problems in the pipepline of the industry this tournie is based on, you'd have no God of War!

The thing people neglect to know about Super Mario Bros is that the plot is in the instruction booklet...it's the same with the original Zelda and many games of that time.

It's more than save the princess, you have to remove a dictator of a leader, destroy his minions. Heck they even have the aspect that the blocks are citizens of the mushroom kingdom who were transformed by Bowser (or Koopa as he was). It basically takes your average fairy tale concept and makes it into a damn fine game. As you know very few games in the 8 bit era were varied, so it's hard to compare that aspect.

Either way both are might fine games.

What in the blue hell? Do you realise what you just said, you said GoW was more innovative than the legend of Super Mario Bros. How?

God of War's playing style was based on Prince of Persia, it was more a duplicate with extras of that series (and a damn shame that PoP didn't make it). GOW first appeared when the PS2 was established and the game genre that GOW "innovated" existed already! GoW is a good game, but it's done nothing but add another list of games to own on PS2, and it was outdone by it's sequel.

As Lee rightly said, Mario saved the video game industry. Without this handy plumber fixing up the problems in the pipepline of the industry this tournie is based on, you'd have no God of War!

Dude i know I know, I said my bad already. I got them mixed up in the sentence. Want me to edit it? Hell I even already mentioned that GoW was based on PoP in my last post. Cut me some slack.

On a side note, just because SMB was more innovative, as I stuffed up in pointing out, doesn't mean it was a more enjoyable game. I still vote GoW.

The thing people neglect to know about Super Mario Bros is that the plot is in the instruction booklet...it's the same with the original Zelda and many games of that time.

Really? I never actually got an instruction booklet. Me and my brother got an old NES with heaps of games for cheap second hand, so we didnt get the story. Well you learn something new everyday.

It's more than save the princess, you have to remove a dictator of a leader, destroy his minions. Heck they even have the aspect that the blocks are citizens of the mushroom kingdom who were transformed by Bowser (or Koopa as he was). It basically takes your average fairy tale concept and makes it into a damn fine game. As you know very few games in the 8 bit era were varied, so it's hard to compare that aspect.

Well here we have a situation where Mario couldn't rely on its story to get by. It had to rely on the gameplay, which was excellent for it's time. It can still hold it's own today. GoW was a game in which the story was really first. This is not to say that it was a lesser game at all, however, the story was a bigger focal point that in SMB.

But how big a part does story play in making a better game of something? Would games like Final Fantasy been anywhere near as good if they had no characters or stories for the audience to care about? I think that GoW's storyline on top of a fun game, be it similar to Prince of Persia or not, edges it out against SMB.

Either way both are might fine games.

Indeed.

Dude i know I know, I said my bad already. I got them mixed up in the sentence. Want me to edit it? Hell I even already mentioned that GoW was based on PoP in my last post. Cut me some slack.

On a side note, just because SMB was more innovative, as I stuffed up in pointing out, doesn't mean it was a more enjoyable game. I still vote GoW.

It's ok, I didn't see your second post, so your slack shall be cut.

That's fair enough that you enjoy GoW more, I put enjoyability as a key elemet here. But sorry about that, I recognise that you made an error and sorry for not seeing inbetween my quote of the first beforehand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back