B Round 1; 36 Super Smash bros melee v 93 Mike Tysons punchout

?

• SSBMelee

• Punchout

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
images

v

images

Gotta go with Super Smash Bros here, though I would have preferred the original to Melee.

Mike Tyson's Punchout is obviously known as one of the most frustrating games in the history of gaming, and for good reason. Some of the last few fighters in that game were absolutely brutal to try and get through. I was pretty damn young when I was playing it, so I never got that far, but I do recall a friend of my sister's playing getting so frustrated with the game that he nearly broke our Nintendo. What a jerkface.

Super Smash Bros was great fun though. I've only played Melee a handful of times, but it's not as though it was drastically different from the original or anything. It was a game that along with Mario Kart 64 was absolutely perfect for hanging out with a bunch of friends or a party atmosphere.

Quick question: Did Melee also include the AWESOME Giant Pencil boss? One of the coolest bosses ever in my book.

Vote goes to Super Smash Bros here.

Tysons punchout is quite possibly the hardest game i've ever played.I got so frustrated with it, that I never really played it much. Melee however I have played a lot, and freaking love it. The graphics are good, and it's not just a typical fighting game. Power ups, and downs are constantly falling, and if you don't get them your fucked. The trophies are a neat aspect, and there are so many of them. The story modes are also fun. All star mode is EXTREMELY hard as you can't heal yourself more then 3 times, and the multiplayer mode can be so much fun. Me and cousins still play it today. That gets my vote.

Meh, damn the Mario love on these forums. A tired franchise that hasn't produced anything good in a decade and a half. Give me the classic button mashing madness and frustration that is Mike Tyson over the mindless button mashing mayhem of Melee any day of the week. Again, a tired and repetitive franchise against possibly the first truly great boxing game ever. it should be a no contest in favor of Punchout, but I doubt it gets more then the two votes it currently has.

You do realise that SSBM is nit a Mario game, yeh it features him...but it's a game that fields out the entire Nintendo stars. It's a great game for fighting and having mates round. Who doesn't love having link v Luigi, or Bowser v Ganondorf or Kirby v Donkey Kong?!

Whilst not much of an improvement on Super Smash Bros, the way it looks and flows just makes it better.

Also a thing with Smash bros is it opened a whol load of franchises to the western world; Fire emblem and earthbound being two of them.

Voting for Melee here, I was introduced to it last semester at college. The guys in my dorm would host tournaments for money... damn addicting and entertaining game. Easy to learn, easy to play. I spent hours upon hours playing it. I'll probably end up playing it again just as much next semester.

All I've heard about the other game is how frustrating it was to play. I don't mind playing a button masher, but in my eye they hold very little replay value.

Melee gets my vote

Shocky is wrong - Smash Bros series is not mindless button mashing - various tournaments etc. have been set up for it, and it's actually a pretty in depth fighter. More so than Tyson's Punchout anyway. Plus, Smash Bros series was a dream come true because you got to do stuff like Mario vs Link. That's like Hogan vs Austin in Nintendo world.

SSBM here is going to win.

I disagree with anyone who says it didn't bring much more to the table. Aside from a wole new host of characters, which added strategy into itself (playing the original with only 12 characters is boring as crap now), and of course the updated graphics etc, it added a trophy system and an adventure mode.

Of course these were all addons, as the true component was the multiplayer, and you will never beat the frantic four player fun that was that game.

I dont know but I never really caught on to Mike Tysons Punch Out. Ok I beat Glass Joe, the Tiger Guy, The Hippo Guy, but it just got boring and repetitive. Maybe its because I was desensitized by later games, but I didnt enjoy it, and the increased difficulty only made it worse. Maybe that why I love wrestling games so much more.

Went with Punch-Out simply because it is one of my favorite games for the NES and although the ending bosses were ungodly hard, I have beaten the game and am proud of it.

The original SSB for the 64, I would have voted for but that's about the only one that I really enjoy. So Punch-out it is.

The Smash Bros. franchise is superb. I'd be hard pushed to say that Melee was the best, but it's a damn fine game all the same. It hasn't given me the endless hours of fun that it's younger, more action-packed brother Brawl has, but it's still, how do the kids say, pwnage.

Punch-Out can kiss my grits.

Quick question: Did Melee also include the AWESOME Giant Pencil boss? One of the coolest bosses ever in my book.

I don't think so, I believe it included the 2 floating gloves boss, which was almost as a good as the pencil boss.

Super Smash brothers was just awesome. You could play as any Nintendo character that you could imagine. at a ton of different places (with Peach's castle being the best)

This game provided hours of fun and the tournament mode was my peronal favorite. The best thing to do was to set the opponent's levels as random and watch your friends get pissed off when they lose to a level 9 Dr. Mario in the first round while you only have to go through level 3 Jigglypuffs to the finals. Fantastic game, I actually have a craving to play it now.

Mike Tyson was pretty good, but it has nothing on SSBM.

I didn't enjoy Punchout very much, It was due to the mind bendingly hard boss in it, For the life of me I never beat him.

SSB on the otherhand was the defintion of fun gameplay, And amazing multiplayer, I've never once gotten bored of a Super Smash Bros game, And honestly, I don't think I ever will. This game also had such a rich roster of fighters too, With amazing finishers, And innovative bosses.

Smash Bros takes it here because it was a game you could play for hours on end with a bunch of friends and never get tired of it. We used to set up massive tournaments for this game, just to prove who the best player was. I actually had to have a match with a friend of mine over who would use Link. I lost, picked Zelda/Sheik, and dominated ever since with her. While it could be a button masher, any true Smash Bros veteran knows you have to time your attacks properly, and when item usage was a must. A great game that brought some awesome battles between iconic characters in the Nintendo Realm, its why I bought a Gamecube for the most part, that and RE4.

Mike Tyson's Punchout was ridiculously hard, and I liked the challenge of it, but there was no multiplayer there to satisfy you even if you somehow defeated every fighter in the game.

Smash Bros has my vote here, it has a huge selection of very different characters with unique fighting styles, lots of great stages to compete in.

No fight is like the other and the different items a add a little surprise to it.

And like Vince Burna stated before, it´s just awesome to play with your buddies and have to a great evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back