Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
r2killbillvpursuitofhappyness_zpsa15fc0f0.jpg

Round 2: Kill Bill vs. The Pursuit of Happyness

This poll will close Tuesday, October 23rd at 5pm PT (ish)​

This is an interesting matchup because they are so completely dissimilar but delivered in their own individual categories. Neither movie is a smash hit but each gave the audience something extremely entertaining and gave a great payoff.

Kill Bill is a Quentin Tarrentino film. In my eyes, that alone gives it extra points. So much action... so much fucking blood... and hot chicks beating the ever loving shit out of each other?? Fucking masterpiece. But it's cliffhanger ending is really what made it great. Everybody who saw Kill Bill volume 1 went and saw volume 2. That means it achieved its goal.

Pursuit of Happiness legitimately made me cry at the end. Will smith just did such a fantastic job of capturing the tough life of Chris Gardner. And (while I can't stand this kid nowadays,) debuting his son into this movie really got him into that role. But the best part about the movie is the fact that it's based on a true story. What an amazing triumph. You really pull for the guy the entire movie, see how innocent his son really is, and didn't need a child in order to understand how tough it must have been to always make the kid feel like everything was ok.

I'm voting for the Pursuit of Happiness because it's a truly underrated but great film.

Pursuit of Happyness might be my favorite drama; I think it's also the only film to make me cry, which affirms the movies' fulfillment of the genre. It also took Will Smith from a guy that could do comedy, and done some action and a brief romantic comedy, and proved that he could also be one hell of a serious actor. I'm not saying there's anything more or less difficult about acting in a drama - and actually, Jonah Hill once said that Get Him to the Greek was way more difficult than Moneyball, because in a drama you don't have to try and be funny for 15 hours every day - but Hollywood looks at drama actors with much more prestige. So it was great seeing Will Smith, the former fresh prince, go out there and make everyone cry all over themselves like a babbling infant.

Interestingly enough, both Will and Jaden are in a father-son drama next year called "After Earth". It's worth warning you not to get too terribly excited, because it's a Shyamalan film, but it could be quite good. From what I know, it's a sci-fi drama and the two crash land on Earth hundreds or thousands of years after humans left the planet, and it's become so uninhabitable, it's known as one of the most dangerous places to ever go. And so people don't. Except for space pirates, whom I'm guessing will play a role. Its saving grace might be that Shyamalan isn't exclusively writing the film, and that Smith has a ton of creative control.

Anyways...I'm voting for Pursuit of Happyness. Kill Bill is one hell of a movie, but I'm not diehard for Tarantino like many are; Pulp Fiction withstanding.

Sometimes you watch a movie and expect it to be alright, but then it sucks you in and surprises the hell out of you. That is what Pursuit is. Many didnt even watch it because they despise Will Smith or dramatic movies. It was a great film and if you havent seen it, please do so. Its worth it.

Now.

Sometimes you go in to a movie expecting it to be fucking awesome and it ends up being everything you wanted and more. That's Kill Bill. As a Tarantino film I knew I would like this movie, but damn. It had swords, blood, chick fights, asian gangs, guns in cereal boxes, pussy wagons- everything! Plus a fantastic supporting cast and one of the best cliffhanger endings of all time. Total package movie right here.

Kill Bill gets my vote.

But the best part about the movie is the fact that it's based on a true story. What an amazing triumph.

Chris Gardner is a hard-working man with a pain-in-the-ass wife and an adorable little son boasting one of the greatest afros we've ever seen on a child. All Gardner wants to do is make enough of a living to provide for his son.

Through what we assume is black magic, he solves a Rubik's Cube in record time, wowing an employee at Dean Witter and he apparently passes the only test needed to qualify a man to become a stock broker. He toils for months, sleeping in subways and churches with his son at his side, but in the end it all pays off when he claims the one and only opening at Dean Witter, crying tears of joy and getting jiggy wit it in the streets of San Francisco.

In reality ...
Gardner did get a chance to show his stuff in the Dean Witter training program (though we're sad to report his acceptance had nothing to do with solving a colorful puzzle game). But, as the more honest book version points out, he apparently wasn't quite the father the film made him out to be.

First, he was so focused on getting a job and earning his first million that, well, he actually didn't even know where the hell his son was for the first four months of the program.

Chris, Jr. was apparently living at this point in time with his mother, Jackie. Did we mention that the boy had been conceived when Gardner was still married to another woman?

In addition, instead of being arrested just before his big interview due to parking tickets ... well, it seems that Chris was actually arrested after Jackie accused him of domestic violence.

Don't get us wrong, Chris did indeed get his life turned around after landing the job as a broker. There were just some things in Gardner's past that they couldn't quite bring themselves to have Will Smith do on screen. Like selling drugs (as Gardner admits he did briefly), or doing cocaine with his mistress, with little doses of PCP and a hearty helping of Mary Jane tossed in for good measure.

Adulterous sex? Cocaine? Neglecting your child for months at a time? It says something about the man that he didn't drop the pursuit, despite having pretty much found happyness already.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16478_7-movies-based-true-story-that-are-complete-bullshit.html

It may be a comedy website but if half that shit is true Gardner was a peice of garbage. Now, that doesn't mean it was a bad film and it's no different than any other "true story" that Hollywood turns into a movie but it's no reason to rate it higher than Kill Bill. All the other stuff yeah in your opinion, okay. But I thought I'd shed some light on the situation. I'm not bashing on the film in anyway, but I am bashing on Hollywood in general and I find these types of things interesting so I figured I'd share.

For my own personal vote I go with Kill Bill. Tarantino in my opinion is a very gifted shall we say...........interpreter. It's been well documented that a lot of his movies are scenes pulled out of old movies, twisted a bit and then presented to a new audience in his movies. That's why Tarantino has dropped a few points in my "favorite director" list (I don't really have a list). But looking past the inevitable thievery it's still a great movie. Sword fights, yakuza, anime, hand to hand combat, over the top blood/gore and everything else you expect from a Tarantino movie. And while "Happyness" did make me cry I'm just plain not a big fan of heartwarming dramas. I love Will Smith and almost everything he does. But this was not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back