Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
r2jawsvshining_zps3035898e.jpg

Round 2: Jaws vs. The Shining

This poll will close on Tuesday, October 23rd at 5pm PT (ish).​

Jack Nicholson's demented performance tops anything from Jaws' cast, and it's not even close:

[YOUTUBE]FfnmwACXvBg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]WDpipB4yehk[/YOUTUBE]

Looking for memorable moments? The Shining provides one of the most impressive long take shots in the history of cinema. Plus, "Come Play With Us, Danny" is one the creepiest scenes in any horror movie ever:

[YOUTUBE]CMbI7DmLCNI[/YOUTUBE]

And who could forget the elevator scene?

[YOUTUBE]RigIpVXm2xA[/YOUTUBE]

The terror in Jaws hinges on fearing a shark attack in the water, but there's a simple solution for this problem: just use swimming pools.

The Shining is chilling, and the terror only intensifies, as Jack's downward spiral becomes worse, while the victims are trapped in an isolated deathtrap. Kubrick provides a haunting tale of madness, and Nicholson is just perfect in the leading role.

In terms of overall acting, I give it to The Shining. Nicholson's performance in the movie was pretty chilling and the overall setting of the movie had a claustrophobic aura about it, despite the size of the hotel. At the same time, however, I thought Robert Shaw's performance as Quint was fantastic in Jaws. Personally, I think the man should've gotten an Oscar nomination for his performance. The character Quint was someone that was very likable and kind of hateful at the same time. It was a pain in the ass to work with the man but he seemed like he'd be the life of the party at a bar or something.

The Shining is arguably the best film adaptation of a horror novel ever made. Some film adaptations of Stephen King books have been downright shitty, which some of the books have been as well, but The Shining worked. It seems pretty tame by today's horror standards, but The Shining was a great example of storytelling and that more than made up for any lack of gore. Jaws is the father of the modern summer blockbuster. Jaws tapped into a primal fear that a lot of people never really gave any thought to before. Unintentionally, it sort of made all sharks public enemy #1 in the minds of a lot of people. I know people today that won't go into the ocean, even on a boat, because of seeing the first Jaws movie when they were younger.

As far as the better overall film, I have to go with The Shining. For the most impactful & influential film, that easily goes to Jaws here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back