Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
r2gladiatorvholygrail_zpsb3eec9f2.jpg

Round 2: Gladiator vs. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

This poll will close Tuesday, October 23rd at 5pm PT (ish)​

Russel Crowe had maggots in his arm after a wound so it wouldnt get infected and he could continue on. What a wimp. Good enough flick, but seemed to me like it was just Braveheart set in Gladiator times. Nothing too special for me.

The Black Knight had his arms cut off and he still kept coming at you. Now thats tough. About as low-budget as you can get, Holy Grail is one of the best comedies ever. Nothing ever like it. Hell it wasnt even the best Python had to offer as far as jokes\skits. Holy Grail just sticks with you after all these years. Memorable as hell.

With the cunning use of coconuts, Holy Grail gallops off into the 3rd round while being chased by the Rabbit of Caerbannog.

Gladiator was a nice enough flick. Joaquin was imo the best part of the film which kind of speaks for itself. When your lead is overshadowed by a pansy villain maybe things aren't going quite as you planned them. Crowe has always been a kind of bland actor in my eyes anyways.

I was never a fan of Monty Python (hadn't even really heard of them) until I met my wife. I bought her the box set one year that had all their episodes and specials and I think we flew through that thing in a matter of days. After that I saw the movies and Holy Grail is in most people's eyes their best effort. A little slow for me personally in certain spots but enough kick in the right places to keep things moving along. So many classic scenes, good stuff.

My vote goes to Python.

Gladiator is another one of these movies that, while pretty good, isn't nearly as good as it's hyped to be in my opinion. I certainly don't see how Russell Crowe won the Oscar for Best Lead Actor.

I'd never really watched anything in the Monty Python series until a few years ago when I happened to catch this movie on HBO one night about 1 in the morning. While it did seem a little slow at times, I found it genuinely funny. It's silly and over the top, but parodies are supposed to be silly and over the top. There was enough kick in the jokes & gags that many of them seemed fresh even by today's standards.

All in all, I went into Holy Grail not really expecting to like it and came out pleasantly surprised. I went into Gladiator expecting something great and got something that was just ok. So, I'm going with Holy Grail.

I just have to take issue with this. I've never met anyone who thought that Holy Grail was better than Life of Brian.

You're average North American thinks Holy Grail is better than Life of Brian (or any one I've talked to says that) but I agree that Life of Brian was the better movie. The way they absolutely tore apart Christianity was hilarious.

Onto the subject I gotta go with Holy Grail. Gladiator was a really good movie and I enjoyed it enough to see it multiple times in the theater but at the same time Holy Grail is a movie I can watch any time and enjoy it, Gladiator I have to be in the right mood for. I'm not saying Holy Grail is necessarily a better movie but its one I enjoy more.

I have a soft spot for Holy Grail in the Monty Python stakes. Sure, Life of Brian is a superior movie but watching Arthur galavanting around with his knights just tickles me with its whole other level of silliness. Destructive rabbits, coconuts, French insults, knights of Black and "until recently of Ni", three-headed monsters, animator's heart attacks, Castle Anthrax, "message for you sir", the anarcho-syndicalist commune, Tim the Enchanter, the Bridge of Death, the conversation with God and the Knights of the Round Table singing (Not to mention the classic DVD extra of it done with LEGO).

I also have a soft spot for Gladiator. Is it overrated in almost every way possible? Almost certainly but it tells a simple story of revenge in the historical (if not terribly accurate) setting of late second century Imperial Rome. Crowe plays the gruff loyal general well but the fact that he cannot shift his antipodean twang alone should have disbarred him from winning the Oscar that year (his performance in A Beautiful Mind the following year was so much better); Phoenix does a good job in playing the increasingly unhinged Commodus and the great Oliver Reed does one final turn as Proximo.

"I am terribly vexed."

I am also of the opinion that Gladiator is a horribly overrated film. I couldn't believe it won best picture. Must have been a lean year of quality popular movies.

Killer Rabbit > Tigers in chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back