Round 1; 6 Super Mario 64 v 123 Mortal Kombat

?

• SuperMario64

• MK

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
images

v

images

Mario 64 was the first game I got for the N64 and I was playing it the longest (tied with a couple of other games) - great replay value, first true 3D platformer (if you try and argue for Crash Bandicoot or some shit you're ******ed) - whereas the few times I've played Mortal Combat I felt it wasn't as good as other games in its genre.

So we have a pretty average beat em up, at a time that Street fight II was doing the rounds, or the game that revolutionised 3D platform gaming? Yup it's Mario 64 for me, a huge game which balances everything out. :)

Gotta agree with Raw Power here and vote for Super Mario 64. Still probably the best platformer ever made, and the game that put the N64 on the map and introduced Mario to a whole new generation of gamers.

It cannot be expressed enough just how influential and important this game was. It was the first game to ever utilize a free-roam camera (AKA the player can control the in-game camera viewpoint), which has become industy standard. It revolutionized the way 3D games are made.

Mortal Kombat, while legendary, doesn't stack up. Everyone knows that the sequels put the original to absolute shame, and thus, Mario gets the win here.

Super Mario 64.

It was the N64's Halo. Halo moved more Xboxes then any other game could have at that time. Same with Super Mario 64. It put the N64 on the map, and helped introduce Mario to the new generation. It put a cool new spin on the classic Mario game. Super Mario World was great, and a benchmark for side scrollers everywhere. Super Mario 64 pulled the same thing off, becoming the new benchmark for 3-D games everywhere.

Mortal Kombat? I was always a Street Fighter II fan myself. Guile could take Sub-Zero anyday.

Super Mario takes it easy. Mortal Kombat was eh, but it wasn't even the top fighting game of the time. Super Mario however revolutionized the N64, and made it one of the top video game systems ever. It was quite possibly the best game ever made, and it beats this simple fighting game easily.

I have to go with Mario here. I have had my 64 for about 9 years now and I have got all the best games on it but Mario ranks up there with the best that I have played. The gameplay is good, it gets hard at times and the best thing is that is last forever. DO you know how long it took me to get 120 stars?

I loved Mortal Kombat, but it was mostly because it fueled my bloodthirst that apparently channeled underneath my conscious state of mind. Now you take that compared to what I consider the game that revolutionized 3D gaming, and of course arguably the best Super Mario game to ever be released, and you have basically a one sided beatdown in favor of SM64. MK was just a fighting game that I actually played more at the arcade then I did on the console, while SM64 made me go out and get an N64.

So with a brutal fatality, Super Mario 64. Flawless Victory.

I'm going Mortal Kombat. Why? Mostly because of "Back Back Forward" with Raiden, the "WHOOPSEE" guy, and the fact that Super Mario 64 wasn't constantly on the news being blamed for the violent behavior of American children. The cultural impact is far too striking to ignore.

I voted MK because I'm the one who picked it as a wild card, and because any two player game, is better than any one player game.

I'd take fighting over smashing my head into a brick, and "block up up" for Scorpion's fatality over a stupid little fireball anyday.

Ah yes ricky the whoopsie guy, who actually says Toasty...Dan Forden, one of the sound engineers on Mortal Kombat. He's a pinacle of the mortal kombat franchise, lets vote a game based on him...oh wait a minute...

Dan Fordens first appearance was in MORTAL KOMBAT II...THIS GAME IS MORTAL KOMBAT 1...FOR FUCK SAKE MAN

When I think of Mortal Kombat, I think of 1, 2, and 3. Like...combined. Should maybe be a little more specific, Lee...as Mortal Kombat is the name of a game franchise, as well.

Well every single other game in this is based on the game and not the franchise, why should this be any different? There's no possible way I could make this more obvious that it is for Mortal Kombat, the game and NOT Mortal Kombat the franchise.

Dude. words cant even convey the epicness that was Mario 64. So damn rockin. Just, a true watershed for video games, extreme amounts of fun, totally transfixing. one of the greatest games of all time.

Sorry to be the party pooper, but Super Mario 64 is a tad overrated. it was good I suppose, but I just never got into it. It beats Mortal Kombat, as MKII was far better IMO, but SM64 is just, not the second coming of christ.

Mario 64 bored me to tears, and apparantely I'm the only on that thinks so. Seriously, it wasn't that gret in my opinion. Typical Mario Bullshit, run around, collect stars, fight bowser, the end. I know of at least 3 mario gams before this that did all of that much better then Mario 64.

Mortal Kombat on the other hand reinvented the video game, along wiht Doom. Gone where the kiddy bull crap games. This is a game that reinvented teh fighting genre, this is the game that got people pissed with video games. So much controversy surrounding this game, and it was damn fun to boot.

Mario 64 bored me to tears, and apparantely I'm the only on that thinks so. Seriously, it wasn't that gret in my opinion. Typical Mario Bullshit, run around, collect stars, fight bowser, the end. I know of at least 3 mario gams before this that did all of that much better then Mario 64.

Mortal Kombat on the other hand reinvented the video game, along wiht Doom. Gone where the kiddy bull crap games. This is a game that reinvented teh fighting genre, this is the game that got people pissed with video games. So much controversy surrounding this game, and it was damn fun to boot.

Prey Shock, do tell, which three would this be?

Not only did mario 64 bring the franchise up the scratch, it changed how the game was played, instead of a map with howevere many levels you had to do, now you had to collect starts to beat bowser. This new feature has become a main party of Mario games since, something that was not in play before hand.

Well, when you truly look at these games, and the lasting impact that they had, one really has to consider exactly what both games did for their respective genre's and for video games as a whole:

Super Mario 64

Was one of the greatest games known to mankind. It launched an entire series of duplicates, and while some games came close to original (Banjo-Kazooie, Jak and Daxter), none could surpass it in terms of entertainment and replay value. The game offered a combination of intuitive controls with a hint of complex and puzzling challenges, all with a reasonable level to reach in order to pass on through the game. It also offered a story that, while hackneyed, still stands the test of time, and the epic clash that is Mario VS. Bowser took yet another epic turn. The worlds in which Mario could explore were expansive and, at the time, were the most innovative and utterly breath taking worlds we had ever witnessed. I, personally, spent about a full year playing that game, just because I had to get all one hundred and twenty stars. And it really captured the feeling that all games should; The ending made absolutely no difference. I didn't care how the ending looked, or what happened, or how they set up for a sequel. All I cared about was that I was enjoying myself far too much to even realize I had done more than I had to move on to the next world. That, in itself, is a testament to just how epic this game truly is. Without this game, The Nintendo 64 would have absolutely bombed, and for all we know, Nintendo may have been forced to the world of handheld games, and even perhaps the status of a third party console. It was also the first game that ever involved a "free camera". I can't tell you how big of a step that was to the platform genre, and how much it inspired games such as the aforementioned Banjo-Kazzoie and Donkey Kong. This game brought the 3D revolution full circle, and revitalized Nintendo in a way no game had ever done before.

Mortal Kombat

Is partially, if not fully, to blame for the stereotypes that video game players are violent, sex obsessed teenagers. It wasn't even the best fighting game this era had to offer, but it certainly got the most reaction. The blood and gore was utterly unnecessary, yet has spawned the stereotype that video game fighters are nerds who only care for gore and violence. Without Mortal Kombat, video games would probably be much more of an accepted aspect of our society. Instead, we are forced to see how much damage Mortal Kombat did to the reputation of all gamers, and the lasting effect of how people saw "hardcore gamers".

Is this really that tough of a decision?

Reactions: X
I played Super Mario Bros 2 a while back, and I recently bought an N64 with Mario 64 being one of the first games I bought. It had been multiple years since I had played either game (4 for Mario 64 and about 3 for Mario Bros 2). I think it was Lee who said that the 3D aspect of the game changed the way the game was played, I agree with this. Mario 64 put a higher emphasis on exploration and strategy with the levels being full 3D with no time limit as opposed to Mario Bros 2 which emphasized speed and reflexes with a scrolling level and a time limit. I found the aspects of collecting stars to unlock a series of additional worlds as opposed to the previous games layout of beat this level then go here to be easier since the game then gave me an option of what levels I wanted to tackle. The game is beatable after obtaining 70 of the 120 stars meaning that the game still has playable value even after you've beat it, an advantage it has over the previous Mario games.

I've got to go with Super Mario 64 here, though I don't really see any other game in this tournament that could derail it anytime soon.

Mortal Kombat was a solid game, I remember playing it for the SNES when I was a little kid. Though I think the original pales in comparison to Mortal Combat 3, that and Donkey Kong Country were the two games I played the most on that system.

Super Mario Brothers 1 essentially made the Nintendo the System to have. It was the game that made Nintendo Nintendo. It was far more superior to Super Mario 64 in every way possible. it was the game that revolutinzed the business.

Super Mario 3 further revolutionized the Nintendo, and made it the system to have years after it's original release. The hype surrounding Super Mario 3 was amazing, even being put in the atrocity known as "The Wiz" to further hype the release. Super Mario 3 was a far better game then Super 64.

And then you get to Super Mario World, essentially the game taht made the Super Nintendo the Gaming sytsem of that generation. The Genesis and Sonic had a strong foothold before the SNES came out, but Super Mario World pretty much ended the Gensis's breif run at the top.

Super Mario 64 wasn't the game that got the Nintendo 64 recognized. Goldeneye was the Game that brought recognition to the system, and then Ocarino of Time. When i think of great Nintendo 64 games, Mario 64 isn't on that list. The Playstation showed it was a powerful force stateside, and Mario lost it's significance by then, and the franchise has been shit since then. Again, Goldeneye was the game that made the Nintendo 64 a good system, and OoT made it a must own system, Mario 64 was not significant.

Reactions: Lee
I will start with MK:

Fighters in general have always bored me, I was never one of those people who could memorize a huge list of moves and then to remember to do them in a specific order.
While it was one of the first games to introduce me to massive, massive amounts blood, being at a young age when it came, I never really cared for such things, I have been, and will always be an adventure gamer.

Which brings us too,

M64:

A fantastic game, revolutionary, with out this game, I doubt a lot of our favorite series now would be here today without the influence of this game.
Even to todays standerds, this game can hold it's own,
Amazing controls, Awesome boss fights, the jumping in this should have been the standerd, (1, 2, 3 MASSIVE HEIGHT) Abosoluty awesome enemies.
All in all, this game is what defined the 64 and what brought Mario and gaming in general, into the 3d World.

Super Mario Brothers 1 essentially made the Nintendo the System to have. It was the game that made Nintendo Nintendo. It was far more superior to Super Mario 64 in every way possible. it was the game that revolutinzed the business.

Super Mario 3 further revolutionized the Nintendo, and made it the system to have years after it's original release. The hype surrounding Super Mario 3 was amazing, even being put in the atrocity known as "The Wiz" to further hype the release. Super Mario 3 was a far better game then Super 64.

And then you get to Super Mario World, essentially the game taht made the Super Nintendo the Gaming sytsem of that generation. The Genesis and Sonic had a strong foothold before the SNES came out, but Super Mario World pretty much ended the Gensis's breif run at the top.

Super Mario 64 wasn't the game that got the Nintendo 64 recognized. Goldeneye was the Game that brought recognition to the system, and then Ocarino of Time. When i think of great Nintendo 64 games, Mario 64 isn't on that list. The Playstation showed it was a powerful force stateside, and Mario lost it's significance by then, and the franchise has been shit since then. Again, Goldeneye was the game that made the Nintendo 64 a good system, and OoT made it a must own system, Mario 64 was not significant.

He speaks the truth! Super Mario 64 while certainly better than Mortal Kombat im afraid to say, is not as good as everyone says. Its not one of the greatest games ever. The innovation of 3D gaming, with the open world levels may have been "revolutionary", but I dont believe that necessarily connotates a better game. If we were talking about revolutionary, before the very notion of a platformer was thought up of, games like Space Panic or Donkey Kong should clean sweep the tournament. They were more revolutionary than Super Mario 64.

I played in on the N64. It was ok. Maybe its HBK/Taker syndrome with the hype being more than the game. So to check it out I downloaded it for an emulator, which I insist everyone should do if possible when making decisions for the tournament. It still isnt living up to the expectations of everyone. Maybe its that it's 2009 and not the mid nineties. I defy anyone who says its as fun today as it was originally, I find hardly any games can hold that token. Itsn ot the graphics that let the game down now, but that it has become so generic. What would have seemed so "new", looking back on it, isnt. Basically they took the Mario formula, being different levels with different weather, and re used all the same enemies from past games over again. Goombas, Koopas, Pipe Flowers. The whole she bang.

In terms of significance, Im not sure. Playstation was coming out with great games at around the same time, Crash Bandicoot later that year. You can't say that Super Mario 64 invented 3D gaming, because while it may have been one of the first to do it, you cant say that without it, 3D gaming would not exist. It's not like 3D had never been thought of before.

I voted Super Mario, with a heavy heart, and I await when it gets knocked out of the competition by some serious game. Like Pokemon

I voted MK because I'm the one who picked it as a wild card, and because any two player game, is better than any one player game.

So by that standard, Athens 2004 is a better game then Ocarina Of Time, Godzilla: Save the Earth is better then Final Fantasy VII. Idiot, get out of this tournament.

The idea that Mortal Kombat beats Mario 64 is stupid. The simple sight of Mortal Kombat beating Starcraft was embarrassing, not for Starcraft, but for the idiots who voted against it.

Mortal Kombat is overrated. The first one is an average fighting game with an average fighting system, it is only considered great because of the violent. At the time, Street Fighter 2 was out and was superior by far.

Super Mario 64 is also overrated, it does not deserve the hype it gets.... however it is still a great game, and far superior to Mortal Kombat. Mario defined how 3D platformers were to be made. And if you look at games such as Ratchet and Clank, you can see the influence of Mario 64 everywhere. Not to mention the fact that the game is fun, and will require hours. While Mortal Kombat lasts 20 minutes at most, against a huge cast of about 10 fighters, 1 of them in which you do not fight in single player.

The multiplayer is ok, but not even close to enough to topping Mario 64, as I said, Street Fighter 2 was better. So this is a no brainer, the first huge game on the N64, with hours of gameplay, that set the standard for future platformers. Or an average fighting game that got alot of hype because the fighters bleed, whilst there was another fighting game floating around that was better in every way.

Mario wins.

Super Mario 64.

It's 1 of the 2 greatest 64 games IMO. It was the first game I ever played on the 64 and I still will put it in and play it from time to time. The game was long but I eventually got all the stars, although it took forever... It really kickstarted the adventure genre of video games.

Just one of the best games ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back