Round 4 - 6 Super Mario 64 v 11 Super Mario Bros. 3

?

• SM64

• SMB3

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
Super_Mario_64_box_cover.jpg

v

250px-Smb3.jpg

Although throughout my years I have completely played SM64 to death and can find minimal enjoyment in it today, I'm going to vote for it. Super Mario Bros. 3 is a great game, and my favorite of the side-scrolling series, but when it comes down to it, SM64 is an icon of video game progress. It gave a 3D world to gamers that was unprecedented, and remained one of the bets platformers on the N64 for all of its years. SMB3 just improved a popular series with several additions. SM64 was a completely different kind of game, and deserves recognition.

It's a toughy but I went with Super Mario Bros 3...this is the first one of the tourney where I've looked at it with todays eyes. What I mean by that is if I played both right now which would I prefer? The first thing that annoys me with 64 is how blocky it looks and how annoying as hell the camera angles are. A truly great game, but Mario 3 doesn't annoy me as much...SMB3 goes through

I'm gonna have to go with Super Mario 64 here, partly because of the dreaded "nostalgia factor". To be honest, I don't even think I correctly remember much of anything about SMB3. I'm sure I've played it, but it just seems like more of the same from the previous titles, nothing new or really different. Not to say it isn't a good game, it is. But I prefer SM64, partly because of all the time I spent playing it as a kid. It took old boring Mario and turned it on it's head completely, invigorating the franchise for a whole new generation of gamers. Do I even need to explain how groundbreaking it was as well? Set the standard for 3D gaming.

SM64 gets my vote here.

To be honest, I don't even think I correctly remember much of anything about SMB3. I'm sure I've played it, but it just seems like more of the same from the previous titles, nothing new or really different.
-

-Lets give us a map screen
-The racoon leaf?
-Random suits such as tanooki and hammer bros
-Eight different worlds with eight different themese
-A new way to co op two player (ie everyone does the levels together rather than player one does a level player 2 does the same one)
-Add in some mini games (yeh SMB2 had one but meh 3's is better)
-How about letting us play the original mario bros game? Sure thing that's in there.
-Give us some new enemies like chain chomp and the koopalings
-The airships

yeh SMB3 is pretty much like the two set before it.

I'm going to have to back up the game I brought into the tournie, Mario Bros. 3.

Again, where this is a classic Mario game which I still long to complete, it appeals so much to me, it's such a badass game that you can replay over and over again.

For Mario 64, it took me from 1998-2003 to complete it originally, then when I got it on the Wii, it took me a week.

I like games that give a good challenge and they both do that, but where Mario 64 was easier to beat on the second time out, Mario Bros. 3 still challenges me as an avid gamer, it probably means I'm shit because I can't complete it, but I still try.

Where Mario 64 may have put the N64 on the map, Mario Bros. 3 evolved Mario into a series that was here to stay, I mean this game sold 11 Million copies on the NES alone, a feat that no game has managed on a single console to this date. It's so friendly and it has a warm feeling to it, from the funky music, to playing two player to the map levels.

One thing you must remember is that Mario Bros. 3 did that no Mario did prior is they made two players as interactive as possible by letting people take turns on the levels, you have to plan and work together to get two whistles to get to world 8, all Marios prior to this only had play as far as you can until you die, then it's your friends go. It plays fair ball for two player action, plus when you lose all your lives, it's not complete game over, you can keep going.

One thing that I didn't fully like about Mario 64 is while it was amazing with it's other worlds, it felt very limiting. I mean you couldn't use your power ups for too long, I mean yes it would make the game easier if it did, but it took some of the fun out because you had to solely do the missions inside, you had to do this or you died. SMB3 provided some extras and fun in the levels outside of the time limit.#

I have to back Super Mario Bros. 3 because it's fun, interactive, replayable and there was more than just rescuing the princess, I mean Mario could turn into a flying racoon, how fucking cool is that alone?!

I love SM64, great game, but to me SM3 is so much fun, I love flying around as a racoon, and I love the mini-games, and the side screen. SM64 was great in that it became the first 3D SM game, but there where some bugs, though it was to be expected. I still loved it though, but SM3 get's the nod for me.

I get that Super Mario Bros. 3 was one of the best at it's time and had different stuff from the first 2 Mario's, but Super Mario 64 was just awesome. Jumping through paintings and going into all of those different levels was great. I would probably consider it my favorite Mario game of all time, it gets my vote.

While SMB 3 was a great game, don't get me wrong it was. Mario 64 was just better. It was a cooler game it gave you newer things to do. It looked better, the game play was better and it was just more enjoyable of a game to me. That and the fact that it was the first game that I got on my N64... Which i still have, and am going to play soon...

I went with Super Mario 64 here. The main reason why is because when you break it down, Super Mario 3 was just like 1 and 2, only with very minimal upgrade. I get that Mario is Mario, and each new game seemed like an advanced upgrade.. but they really weren't.

However, when Mario went into a 3-D environment type of world it broke through a whole new level that no one ever imagined could happen. Mario 64 was amazing, and I loved it. It allowed me to develop a whole new love for the franchise, and one, quite frankly that was dying of boredom.

I loved the snow level in Mario 64, and how you could slide down on your butt - trying to out race a giant snowball. I loved how you could bounce off walls, and carry penguins, and even solve puzzles. It added so much more than starting at one end of the board, and racing to the other end by a time-limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back