RAW suffers lowest rating in 2 years...Orton as champ to blame?

newteenforbb

Pre-Show Stalwart
Last night's episode of Monday Night Raw scored a 2.8 cable rating, its lowest number of 2010. The show drew hours of 2.77 and 2.82.

Raw averaged 3,930,000 million viewers, with 3,910,000 million in the first hour and 3,950,000 million in the second hour.

The had not scored a rating below 3.0 since November 17, 2008. Viewership was below 4,000,000 million for the first time since December 31, 2007.

^This is an alarming number. Especially considering it followed a PPV. Could this be because Orton is champ and people were not looking forward to watching?

I don't think Randy's entirely to blame, no. But that could just be the fact that I'm an Orton mark and look forward to watching him. Really, I don't think the ratings matter. You just said yourself that Raw had 3,950,000 viewers on top. I fail to see how Raw are at fault in anything right there. I mean nearly 4 million viewers on one 2 hour show? That's good television if you ask me. If the ratings were really something to worry about then they wouldn't have been on air for 900+ weeks.

More likely it was people checking out the season/series premieres that were going on Monday night, plus a fantastic Monday Night Football game between the Saints and 49ers that went down to the wire. If there was a pattern of RAW ratings taking a significant drop immediately after Orton becomes champ, they would stop giving it to him. Plus, given how ridiculously over Orton is with the fans, I can't see a plausible explanation as to how it would be his fault.

Considering how little time Orton was actually on screen as champ last night, I can't see him getting the blame for the low rating. Let's be honest, a Cena Vs Barrett main event wasn't exactly compelling, especially since Super Cena has been all over the Nexus for too long for them to come across as serious main event talent at the moment.

If Orton vs Jericho leads to the same type of rating next week it'd be more worrying but, as Davi323 said, strong competition against a not exactly thrilling wrestling show isn't the end of the world

I would venture to guess that it had something to do with the reigning superbowl champs playing on national tv on MNF, that was exciting right up until the last kick of the ball.

Been going downwards since Summerslam

Here is what happened, they killed any interest in the Nexus angle once Cena beat them at the PPV. That was it, their crediblity was gone. The next 2 RAWs they realised their mistake and tried building them up again but it just didnt work.

Now they are ending the angle already because they know steam has gone out of it and its entirely the writers fault, Cena didnt need to win at Summerslam at all, the feud would have much better legs now had they won.

Check the ratings for the first 2-3 Raws after the beatdown of Cena by Nexus, i believe they went up to 3.6, there was geniune interest and excitement.

Look im not blaming Cena, face should win..at the end of the feud, not this soon and then proceed to bury them.

Now what do they do after Nexus dies at the HIAC PPV? Get Cena involved in the Orton, Sheamus thing? Nothing fresh there, so they might try to rush HHH to come back.

They cant go and yank any stars on Smackdown since they already did that.

They might elevate Miz to main event, but damn they need to do something, people are tired of Orton-Cena-Edge, and while Sheamus has done a great job he isent there just yet.

This is why you always try to elevate new stars to the main event, if you dont, you end up in WCW shoes in 1999

EDIT: And no it has nothing to do with Orton being champ, rating was higher when Sheamus was and he isent exactly a big star (yet).

That is quite a worrisome number for WWE. I will say that I dont see how Orton as champion had even 1% percent to do with the ratings though. Sheamus was just the champion, wrestling fans would, as a whole, highly prefer Orton to Sheamus. Plus, the only people who would know the title had changed hands would be the ones who ordered the PPV, looked it up on the internet, and those peoples friends, all of whom were going to watch or miss Raw regardless of the champion. Wasnt yesterday the first day of fall? That probably had a lot to do with it. Coupled with colleges and high school just starting, and a reallllly good MNF game, which I watched, is probably top reasons. The NFL is going to definitely cause a ratings shift as it does every year, but I dont think those numbers will hold that low, and I would go so far to guarantee that Orton didnt cause more than maybe a hundred people to skip Raw last night.

Don't be so ridiculous to blame Orton. Orton is SO much over as champ than Shameless (Sheamus) It is 100% to do with the fact that Monday night football season is back. Raw's ratings have ALWAYS been down when football is on........FACT!

So blaming Orton is sheer stupidity!

I would venture to guess that it had something to do with the reigning superbowl champs playing on national tv on MNF, that was exciting right up until the last kick of the ball.

My thoughts exactly. And isn't this week the first week of the brand new seasons for all the network shows?

does not surprise me in the least.

In today's business, the champ doesn't have the marketting power they used to. The company does not revolve around the belt any longer. Case in point, last wrestlemania, they negated both championships to the undercard. Really a good way to show how important they are.

Although if you look at how Orton is being booked as freaking Super MAN than you would see that people have lost interest in Orton. Seriously he's booked as unbeatable. The only good thing about that is The Miz is going to stop him. And I say that because I hate the way he's being booked so anyone stopping him would be good. Aside from Sheamus, which means Miz will.

I honestly just think people are fed up with the boring PG crap they put out with the roster consisting of 80% new young guy's that no one know's are wants to relate too... I really believe it will continue to drop lower than it is now. very sad....

I don't know if there are any others like me, but I gave RAW another shot this summer because I am a longtime fan and *want* to be into the show again. The Nexus angle got me rejuvenated as it seemed like a fresh new idea. For about 3 weeks, I was thinking hmm, this IS getting better. Then it basically fizzled out, it was booked predictably, and everything around it predictable as well. The show hit its ultimate 'corny' status when I saw that John Morrison freerunning promo in the backstage. When he dropped down from doing chin-ups and did that slow-mo-pose, I wanted to laugh and barf simultaneously.

Anyways, long story short, with Monday Night Football back in full swing and new TV shows on Monday night, RAW will be taking a backseat for a bit until I read something interesting in the results and spoilers.

I dont think it was all Orton's fault.... I actually liked RAW this week. But I guess a couple things were pretty bad.

Like the crowd's lame reaction to Sheamus vs Orton HIAC

Or the screwed up main event

Or maybe the suckey match drew & Cody vs Santino & Koslov with da boring Hart Dynasty on commentary

And of course Layla beating Melina CLEANLY:wtf::wtf::wtf:?!?!?!

Yeah I think Orton winning last night was a good thing for RAW because they have had Orton chasing the title all summer to get up to this point, so people would care about him winning it at NOC and tune in the following weeks to see the Age of Orton return. Therefore, people would pay more attention to RAW than to Monday Night Football and the new shows. I think WWE has to improve their show more if they are to get above a 3 and for this to happen Cena must join Nexus! I am not kidding that would bring so many viewers. Obviously, their plan backfired, but I think next week's show should score a little higher hyping up HIAC. If not at least be happy you can get over a 2 unlike TNA and ROH.

So yeah Orton or RAW is not to blame. The reason is because of all the new shows and of course football.

I would be the house when I saw the low rating has nothing to do with Orton or the product... Look at the time of the year... Monday Night Football and last night was debut night for TV networks so people we're watching other things. I rarely miss RAW but last night I did not catch a second of it because the Saints vs 49ers on MNF were more intriguing to me thats seems like the most probable answer to me.

Raw ratings at this time of the year always go down because of Monday night Football. If this was a rating during off season football, then it would be worrisome. I don't expect the next week's Raw rating will be too high either, seeing that it is recorded. When Smackdown goes to Syfy and if it stays live, I think Smackdown will rival ratings with Raw. If they go live.

its not randy orton dont u get it, its monday night football ppl are watching it.... orton is the best thing now and ppl wanted him to be champ so bad u hear the cheers everyweek and when he won it the fans went crazy....

Superbowl champs on monday night football along with raw being taped early, so spoilers were being posted by 8pm, raw stood no chance.

I think like most have said it had to do with New Shows like The Event on NBC and the Saints/Niners Game. RAW usually takes a hit in the Ratings during MNF and New Shows on Network TV every year so its nothing new. It has nothing to do with the PG Rating as some idiot said earlier.

yep. plus dancing with the stars had 21 million watch,hawaii 5-0 had 13.8 million watch, and Castle had 11.2 million. probably when people are bored with some of the show Raws ratings will go back up

I really don't think Orton had anything to do with the low rating. It was the first night for many TV shows for the season. Plus Monday night football had a game people wanted to see. Like other posters said the only people that knew he was even the champion watched the PPV or are internet fans. Those are the ones that will watch Raw regardless whose champion. Plus Orton is probably the most over face in the company right now.

Yes, let's blame it on the guy who had not even had the title for 24 hours!

Even questioning if Randy Orton was the reason Raw scored so low is beyond stupid. Believing he is the reason is borderline retarted, seeing half of the people watching Raw might not have even known he won the title!

I think some networks having season/series premieres had something to do with it, but I'm giving most of the credit to the NFL. The New Orleans Saints are a draw, and WWE can't compete with that. Ratings will probably be somewhat low all throughout football season, but I doubt we will see them his low each week.

Nice try, but Orton isn't too blame. He's the most over person in the WWE right now and with football and a whole slew of shows seasons starting, you'd have to assume Raw was going to take a hit. Almost 4 million viewers? Hell I'd take that!

The topic is laughable. You may as well say "RAW suffers lowest rating in 2 years... Shamus's bright red hair to blame?" "... John Morrison's pushups to blame?" "Chris Jericho's losing streak to blame?" "Wade Barrett main eventing to blame?"

I
don't think Randy's entirely to blame, no. But that could just be the fact that I'm an Orton mark and look forward to watching him. Really, I don't think the ratings matter. You just said yourself that Raw had 3,950,000 viewers on top. I fail to see how Raw are at fault in anything right there. I mean nearly 4 million viewers on one 2 hour show? That's good television if you ask me. If the ratings were really something to worry about then they wouldn't have been on air for 900+ weeks.

It is really dumb to blame this on Randy Orton... I agree with you on that... However, I fail to see your logic in the statement "the ratings don't really matter". The ratings are a HUGE factor!!! I really don't want to bring TNA into this discussion, but what is the FIRST thing people on here do when they complain about TNA??? They talk about how the ratings are stuck around a 1.1- 1.2 .... TNA's ratings have actually held steady for several months now, while the WWE's have continued to drop...

I would venture to guess that it had something to do with the reigning superbowl champs playing on national tv on MNF, that was exciting right up until the last kick of the ball

The ratings for the MNF game were nothing stellar... A 10.9 is what the football game did... That is a good number, but far from being AMAZING... Plus MNF was on last week as well and the Raw rating was a 3.0 ... That is the same number as the week before when there was NO Monday Night Football...

I believe that the ratings continue to drop because people really don't like a lot of the new talent that the WWE is giving us... The Miz, R-Truth, Zack Ryder, Nexus, etc... There is nothing very special about any of this talent... Wade Barrett has "potential"... Potential should not translate into a main event push right off the bat... The second reason is that people are growing tired of John Cena...

I know that I am gonna get some heat for this, but it is hard to argue with a 2.8 rating... That was after a pay per view as well... The rating usually has a slight bump after a pay per view... Maybe this rating was a result of a "slight bump" after the pay per view... What if next week's rating is around 2.5-2.6???

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back