Rafael Nadal - Who will dethrone him?

Richard

Mid-Card Championship Winner
He is the number 1 in the world in Tennis at the moment. Rafael Nadal has held that much sought after title since August 18, 2008 and has held onto it valliantly. However, there's going to come a time when he will lose that title so who do you think will be the person do dethrone Rafael Nadal of his world number 1 ranking?

The best candidates to do so would be Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic. I don't think Roger will be able to take back that number 1 spot after being defeated in the Australian Open by him though which is a shame since he won't be able to take it back if he keeps going at the pace he's going out now. He'd need to find some way to do more. Novak is young, he's dangerous and he's going to be around for a long time and has a lot of potential and I think he would be a good pick to take the number 1 ranking off of Nadal. So I'm going with Novak Djokovic based on the fact that he's young and has a lot of potential in him that has yet to be seen.

What are your thoughts? Do you have any other players you'd like to see take it?

I don't think Djokovic will dethrone him. I seriously think He is overratde. Wow he won one Australian open. He is suddenly the best player in the world. Even when Nadal played better last year the whole year people still said Djokovic was going to star out this year over Nadal. Anyways Nadal will star for a few more years and then I am taking my wildcard guess and saying Tsonga (if thats hwo you spell it) will be crowned number 1. Why I hear you say. Well he will because he is very quick and has alot of power in his shot. He is actually pretty big as well and he is what 24-25. He will be a star in a few years when he has trained more and is more fitter.

Very interesting reading your opinions as you are both from Australia yet neither mentioned Andy Murray, when over here the media have everyone believing he is already the best player in the world, and it sickens me as he may be winning ATP titles left right and centre but he can't beat the big three in grand slams.

Back on topic though, I think Federer will return to the summit eventually. His games with Nadal are classics, i thought WImbledon 2007 wouldn't be topped, but then there was Wimbledon 2008... and THEN Australia 2009. Eventually Federer will win one, whilst maybe not Roland Garros, he is my bet for Wimbledon and Flushing Meadows even if he does face Nadal. These two will scrap it out for another two or three years in my opinion before the likes of Djokovic, Tsonga and possibly Murray bring a proper challenge.

I think if Andy Murray was to get to number 1, he's going to have to win all the next Grand Slam tournaments and for Federer, Nadal and Djokovic to really, really stuff up and drop out in early rounds to low ranked players and even then him getting number 1 in a years time isn't that good, because as good as Andy Murray is, there's no denying his ability but I didn't mention him because in the ATP rankings he may be 4th in the world but he's a long way from getting that top spot. The rankings for the top 4 spots, according to the ATP website as of this day, are...

1. Rafael Nadal - 14360
2. Roger Federer - 11000
3. Novak Djokovic - 9240
4. Andy Murray - 7400

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/rankings/

So you see, Andy Murray may have a high ranking, but his points are roughly around half of what Rafael Nadal has at the moment. There's a good chance that Murray could become number 1, but I don't think it will be soon, Rafael Nadal will lose it to someone else, Federer or Djokovic, before Murray gets it. Same with Pippen's choice of Tsonga, he has potential, but he's still a long way from it.

I'm not blaming you for not picking Murray, I just found it very interesting hearing other people's opinions on the man. Over here he is described as some kind of god, who will take over the tennis world very soon. We read stories of how he wins this, he wins that, he beats Federer, he beats Nadal, yet we only get to see him in the Opens, and, US aside, he is nowhere near their level. Nadal destroyed him at Wimbledon. I always wanted to know how he was thought of in other countries, and with you not mentioning him, and Pippen choosing Tsonga over him, I got my answer. So thanks guys.

I'd love to sit back and watch the two greatest sportsmen on the planet square off one head to head over the next two or three years without MurrayMania taking over the country, but it won't happen.

Back on topic, Federer has been immense for a long time now, but the emergence of Nadal is a good thing for the sport. Federer still had his number, but Nadal has improved so well these last two years. Now it is time for Federer to adapt to get back on top. Hopefully, he can do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back