Roger Federer: Will 2009 see him become number 1 again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Mid-Card Championship Winner
2008 was not a very kind year for Roger Federer as he started off a campaign to take a clean sweep at the Australian Open only to lose to Novak Djokovic in the semi finals because he was not as his peak condition and was suffering an illness.

Now, in 2009, Roger Federer has been very impressive at this years Australian open and tomorrow night he faces Rafael Nadal in the finals which will be no easy task for Roger Federer but seeing as how he is moving better than last year, he has a very good chance of winning.

Last year, Roger Federer's Grand Slam record of furthest advancement is as follows.

Australian Open:
Lost to Novak Djokovic (Semi finals) - 7–5, 6–3, 7–6(5).

French Open:
Lost to Rafael Nadal (Finals) - 6–1, 6–3, 6–0

Wimbledon:
Lost to Rafael Nadal (Finals) - 6–4, 6–4, 6–7(5), 6–7(8), 9–7

Roger Federer would then lose his number 1 ranking later on.

U.S. Open:
Def. Andy Murray (Finals) - 6–2, 7–5, 6–2

So, if you've been watching the Australian Open and seen Roger Federer's impressive return to form, do you think he can reclaim the number 1 ranking from Rafael Nadal?

I would say possibly but only for a brief time. He had an amazing run, but he's starting to get old. He's nearly guaranteed to win over Nadal as Nadal played that marathon against the other Spainaird who's name I can't spell, and for some reason Federer gets an extra day of rest. He and Nadal have had some classics, but I think Nadal is in over his head here. That'll shoot Federer up in the chase to be #1 again, but his overall game is slipping. He's playing at this level on borrowed time, but I think it's enough time for him to get back to #1, if only for a month or two.

The match last night against Fernando Verdasco was very, very impressive and I only hope Fernando Verdasco can capitalise on his stellar performance last night and not fizzle out like so many youngsters have had at the Aus open. 5 hours and close to 20 minutes they played which broke the record for longest mens match in Aus open history and the last set was amazing but a very anti climatic way for Nadal to win, on a double fault after Verdasco saved two match points.

Anyway, back to Federer. He got an extra day of rest because that was just how the draw was for him, the semis are on at different days, he was lucky that he got the day off and I think that can make the difference because Nadal must be a bit sore today from last night's tennis clinic.

Roger Federer can beat him because his body will be better conditioned because of his match with Roddick a couple days ago, that's going to give him an advantage over Nadal.

He has shown a big improvement compared to last year though, so I think it's very possible for Roger to take it back, but maybe not as long as he held it before. I'd say maybe a year. He's healthy and is moving much better.

Right now Nadal as 13160.0 points and Federer is on 10700.0 with Djokovic just behind Federer by 50 and if Federer wants to regain it, he's going to have to work hard, but it's possible.

That match last night between Verdasco and Nadal was probably the best tennis match Ive ever seen and that includes Nadal/Federer at Wimbledon. There were so many winners and so many great shots it was unreal. Ive never watched a match with so many great volley's like that match. Its ashame though that it had to end that way. Anyway I just dont see how Federer is gonna lose. Im a HUGE Roddick fan so obviously I was upset about the semis but I thought Roddick played pretty good but Federer looked great. Probably the best I thought he looked in a long time. You factor in the fact that he is fresh I dont see this match with Nadal going more than 4 sets.

After seeing Roger Federer lose to Rafael Nadal in the finals a couple of hours ago, I have my doubts now about Roger Federer being able to take back that number 1 position as long as Rafael Nadal remains the number 1.

If Federer was going to take it back, it should have started with the win at the Aus Open a couple of hours ago and since it didn't, there is only two more Grand Slams I think he could win, Wimbledon (That's a stretch) and US because he won't get French and if he was to win those two, Nadal would have to get knocked out fairly early on in the tournaments, so now, I'm going to say no, he won't get it back, unless he can knock off Nadal in a match.

After last night, no way. I'm watching the rebroadcast because I fell asleep in the third set last night. I know Nadal won, and the first thing I thought was how bad does Federer look? On hardcourt that Nadal has never played a final on, with an extra day's rest and after Nadal played his ass off two days before? Federer looks like he's fading, although he's still a solid #2 in the world. It's Nadal's time now though and I could easily see him winning the grand slam this year. He'll dominate at the French, he's proven he can win on hard court so US Open is in reach, and he's the defending Wimbledon Champion. Federer will likely get one of those though, but that won't be enough to knock Nadal off. Federer won't get there this year, or likely ever again.

Nadal is certainly becoming quite the pest for Federer. It's amazing how quite possibly the games two best men's players rose up one after the other. Imagine if you will, Tiger in 2002 or whatever year he won 3 majors in and then the next year, some one just as good as Tiger only younger came into the PGA and over took him in a few years time. Of course in Golf, it's less about direct competition, and win or loss is about how you play the course, not directly playing against your opponent and directly affecting their performance. So Tiger probably would still win his fair share of tournaments and could probably over take the kid again a few time is in their career. Federer's going to have a heck of a time overtaking Nadel because Nadal has Federer's number. Federer can't buy a win anywhere with Nadal anymore. The matches are epic and as in the case with their amazing Wimbeldon last year are also down close, but in the end, the same result lately has been Nadal winning. Federer has a good pick to win US, and he's still got a chance to win Wimbledon, but with Nadal winning Australia and pretty much a lock to win French, he'll probably still be number 1 by this time next year. Unless Federer finds a way to change something in his game that is able to counter Nadal and his dominance, than the only way he'll get back to number 1 is if Nadal gets injured. Here's hoping best of luck to Federer thou, and that he'll create further classics with Nadal, only with Federer winning this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back